Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
For those that didn't see the last episode:

lostrecon.jpg

I just saved you the time, this Hulu splash image was basically it.​

Walter said:
They'll have to work hard to fuck THAT up. Right? ..... Right? :azan:

Wrong. *BOOM*

It's just going to be more of the same vague bullshit that raises more questions than answers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's like, "Why don't you age!?" and he said another variation of the "BECAUSE OF JACOB" line.

Also, the flash sideways connections now feel more like a device for the producers to just live out their other TV fantantasies by reshuffling the cast in ways that go beyond anything benefiting a coherent story. "Hey, wouldn't it be fun to have Sawyer and Miles as partners on a buddy cop show lol?" No. "Hey, we still got the number of Charlotte, let's throw her in there too for no reason." I hope when they bring back Michael and Eko, they're running a restaurant together in a tribute to Good Burger.

I gotta say, I actually rather enjoyed this weeks episode though they didn't really reveal anything past Richard's history.

I did like the whole 'Jacob is God, Smokey is Satan' conversation. Richard: "Why don't you help the people you bring to the island?" Jacob: "Huh? Why would I do that?! woop woop"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
I gotta say, I actually rather enjoyed this weeks episode though they didn't really reveal anything past Richard's history.

I did like the whole 'Jacob is God, Smokey is Satan' conversation. Richard: "Why don't you help the people you bring to the island?" Jacob: "Huh? Why would I do that?! woop woop"

Yeah, it was nice to have an episode centered on Richard. That being said, good thing Jacob's dead already because his bullshit attitude is getting on my nerves. I felt the whole Devil/Hell thing lacked subtlety as well. "Go kill the devil to get out of hell."
Oh and also the shot of Locke looking ominously at where Richard and Hurley were standing got a laugh out of me. Cheese overload.

EDIT: Ah, another thing. Why do they call him Ricardus if his original name was Ricardo?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the direction was a little overblown for the episode, and yeah Aaz caught the pinnacle of the cheese. But this one felt amateur right off the bat. Why exactly were we shown Ilana's flashback in the beginning, suddenly just to cut to Richard's?

All that being said, the image of
the statue lit by the lightning flashes was one of the coolest visuals in the entire series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Why exactly were we shown Ilana's flashback in the beginning, suddenly just to cut to Richard's?

More importantly, why is Ilana in the show at all? She really hasn't served much of a purpose so far.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
I felt the whole Devil/Hell thing lacked subtlety as well. "Go kill the devil to get out of hell."

On that note, I would have gone with even less subtlety, like instead of killing the other survivors, why not bribe/threaten the lot of them into a mob to go kill him? I should be over this, but I'd like to go at least one week without an obvious fatal flaw, contradiction, or contrivance in the episode's plot. Not to mention the BS with the ships arrival.

Walter said:
I thought the direction was a little overblown for the episode, and yeah Aaz caught the pinnacle of the cheese. But this one felt amateur right off the bat. Why exactly were we shown Ilana's flashback in the beginning, suddenly just to cut to Richard's?

I'm with you, though I enjoyed it to a point
(I was totally sold when it flashed back to bearded Richard in 1867, and loved the Padre =)
, it went exactly as I expected point by point, and by the end it was still the gimmick of the week without much progress or momentum.

Also, like the rest of you, I did recognize and love the ultimate cheese moment, particularly because it reminded me of this. The wine bottle smash "and hold!" shot was a close second though.

This season is the worst.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
Not to mention the BS with the ships arrival.

Good point, it was ridiculous. And didn't we see the ship arriving on a calm sea at the end of the previous season anyway?

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Good point, it was ridiculous. And didn't we see the ship arriving on a calm sea at the end of the previous season anyway?

I guess that's supposed to be a previous ship as the statue was intact there as well, but as you say, clearly they were referencing the Black Rock in that scene originally (which was cool). My guess is, since they had no real plan, they decided to call an audible and seemingly kill two birds with one stone, tying up the Black Rock and Taweret statue loose ends in one ham-handed stroke. Presumably, they didn't really have a good explanation for either, evidenced by the fact that, as presented, there's no point to either scenario, and they both make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Disappointing to say the least.

What passes for explanation/resolution on Lost these days is like what someone makes up when they haven't done their homework. Doesn't bode well for the finale.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
I guess that's supposed to be a previous ship as the statue was intact there as well, but as you say, clearly they were referencing the Black Rock in that scene originally (which was cool).

Yeah, and there's a contradiction in the fact Evil Dude clearly tells Jacob he'll kill him one day (to which Jacob retorts he'll be right there when that happens) whereas after the incident with Richard, Jacob seems genuinely surprised that his "old friend" tried to kill him, necessitating an explanation. It just doesn't add up.

グリフィス said:
What passes for explanation/resolution on Lost these days is like what someone makes up when they haven't done their homework. Doesn't bode well for the finale.

Pretty much. It's the typical failure to deliver on grand, overly complex premises. The authors have raised countless plot points in specific contexts without really thinking about their resolution at the time. As they're running out of time to bring the show to a conclusion they try to tie as many loose ends as possible in the simplest manner they can find, all the while throwing dust in the viewers' eyes in the hope it doesn't look too contrived. That means discarding context, interconnecting everything still currently relevant and dumbing it all down while completely ignoring whole parts of the earlier story.

Anyway, did I bitch earlier about Smokey's heartfelt speech to Kate about how his mom was insane and he's still got issues and all that? Now I'm sure they'll make it a grand reveal later who his mom was, but regardless of what he was doing (trying to fool Kate or being honest) that triggered so much eyerolling that I saw my skull from the inside.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Anyway, did I bitch earlier about Smokey's heartfelt speech to Kate about how his mom was insane and he's still got issues and all that? Now I'm sure they'll make it a grand reveal later who his mom was, but regardless of what he was doing (trying to fool Kate or being honest) that triggered so much eyerolling that I saw my skull from the inside.

:ganishka:

Noted, and agreed. That episode turned me against smokey. First, he saves Kate, unforgivable, then he throws that weak mommy issues shit out there, and more like it during that same episode. He's still too much like wuss Locke in his lamer moments, seemingly not quite in control of the situation. I prefer the straightforward man in black in the flashbacks.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
How the hell can a wooden ship smash a statue into bits and pieces, while itself is almost seemingly perfectly intact? Was it the wall of water that did the smashing?

I dare this show to make less sense.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Not only did it smash the statue, the wave it apparently rode in on carried it well onto the island. Pretty amazing feat for a giant fucking ship.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Not only did it smash the statue, the wave it apparently rode in on carried it well onto the island. Pretty amazing feat for a giant fucking ship.

And did the rest of the island show any traces of a tidal wave? Nope. They put some debris on the beach next to the statue but 5 meters later you have a flimsy tree and small vegetation that were miraculously spared.

No reason to really question how the ship got that far inland when from the very first episode we had a guy somehow thrown a good portion into the jungle with no real explanation amongst other things. You just have to accept "mysterious island" clauses.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
No reason to really question how the ship got that far inland when from the very first episode we had a guy somehow thrown a good portion into the jungle with no real explanation amongst other things. You just have to accept "mysterious island" clauses.
The trouble with that argument is that they TRY to explain why things happen, but their reasons are awful.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I just turned the TV off, halfway through the episode, because
Sun just hit her head on a tree and forgot how to speak English.
Fuck this show. Seriously.

It was a very boring episode. I've never seen such a highly anticipated season have so much filler. This could very well be the most disappointing planned finale of all time. The side flashes were a terrible idea. A pox on the writers I say. I'm sticking it out to the end, but ugh.

Maybe it was Smokey who took away her speech! Who knows why~ and why was he chasing her anyway when he can just smoke right in front of her? And flying off the island is the only way he can escape? How does that make sense? He's had multiple boats to ride on... I just... /sigh. :sad: Sawyer had a good line in this episode though when he asked why Locke couldn't just smoke across the water with Locke telling him the question was silly. "Well of course THAT doesn't make sense :schierke:"

I wonder if the entire series will end with a rick roll.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I read a summary online to bring me up to speed.

So Widmore's secret weapon is ... Desmond? Why? Because he can phase through time? Is he going to go back in time and assassinate the Man in Black as a child? I thought it was a little anticlimactic on paper, but maybe there was a cooler reveal on TV.

Griffith

Walter said:
So Widmore's secret weapon is ... Desmond? Why? Because he can phase through time? Is he going to go back in time and assassinate the Man in Black as a child? I thought it was a little anticlimactic on paper, but maybe there was a cooler reveal on TV.
No, there wasn't.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's exaggerating to say that was among the worst episodes I've seen of Lost.

Griffith

It goes beyond this episode, considering what they set out to do with the remainder of the series, this season has been an unmitigated disaster even the most pessimistic of Lost fans didn't see coming. It started out slow, and if anything, has seemingly regressed since The Temple. Since then, we've just been watching them go in circles in the jungle, and it makes it sad what they've done to characters like Locke, Sayid, and Claire because the payoffs haven't justified it in any way. It's basically been the worst of Lost all rolled into one season, I feel like they could have done almost anything else and it would have been better. They haven't even done a decent job on the criteria of just making another entertaining season, let alone a satisfying finale. Basically, this would be the lamest season of Lost under any circumstances.

Top Bottom