Walk Down the Right Back Alley in Sin City...

I just went and bought a few sin city books after I saw it. It's way cool how they make the movie follow lots of the scenes and dialogue. When I was watching the movie and I saw that molten lava white blood, I was like, "what the fuck!?" But then after I saw his comics I realize he made the blood white a lot for contrast reasons. They really respected Miller's original directing for the books, it makes me wish somebody would do the same with Berserk, cuz Berserk is the ultimate in bloody violence.

aufond said:
it makes me wish somebody would do the same with Berserk, cuz Berserk is the ultimate in bloody violence.
NO!!

What a horrible idea.

This may have been better the second time around, but it still had its fair share of problems. Even though I enjoyed it a lot more, I still think following the novels panel-by-panel is lazy filmmaking. Yeah, I know, he was going for a 'translation' of the novels, not an 'adaptation,' but whatever.

ranemaka13 said:
NO!!

What a horrible idea.

This may have been better the second time around, but it still had its fair share of problems. Even though I enjoyed it a lot more, I still think following the novels panel-by-panel is lazy filmmaking. Yeah, I know, he was going for a 'translation' of the novels, not an 'adaptation,' but whatever.

Well, in a lot of ways the BERSERK anime followed the manga panel-by-panel...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
ranemaka13 said:
I still think following the novels panel-by-panel is lazy filmmaking.

Yeah, all he had to do was write the screenplay, shoot it, edit it, and direct it. Lazy Mexicans. =)

Come on Raneman, that's a pretty arbitrary judgement on the film, and smacks of just a little filmmaker snobbery. I think making it look like the comic IS what's creative about it it, and I doubt executing it was easy, let alone lazy.

BlackSwordsman

I MUST BREAK YOU!
Yeah, it's definitely worth watching twice. I saw it the day it came out and like two days after. Thinking about a third viewing, but I don't know if I want to go bankrupt seeing it all the time. Might just wait to buy the DVD. Great Movie!

strange... the movie has been crossing my mind for days... just this morning i was thinking about going to see it again and i never do that so soon... i usually like to wait a bit(months) and forget some details before watching a movie again so it doesnt seem redundent... maybe there is some subliminal stuff going down... also, i keep getting this naggin' feelin' to play max payne 1 and 2 over again... hmmm

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
The movie was great, the style of the film was extremely overwhelming, and when it finished after two hours, I still wanted more. Luckily they still have the comics to get a couple more stories out of.
I got a laugh though out of "the Invincible Bruce Willis".(Running gag for me since Die Hard.)

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Saw the movie a couple of days ago and I was quite pleased. The friend I drug along couldn't help but to talk about how bad-ass the movie was for the rest of the night. His lack of creativity with descriptors got annoying fast.

As bad as I am with remembering people though... Little arrows naming new characters and at the beginning of each arc woulda helped. I almost missed that the guy at the end was in the beginning and got confused after the scene with the chair... I needa work on my people recognition skills...

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
One of the best movies I have ever seen. I am going to see it a 2nd time today. :D

I cant wait for it to come out on DVD. :D :D :D :D

Griffith

My girlfriend is dragging ass on seeing it, I am not pleased (because I'd like to go again).

Kakkoii_Guts

海賊王になる男だ
A couple of my good buddies have already seen the movie three times. If I had that much extra money laying around I would probably do it too. ;)

I'll probably enjoy it even more this time now that I'm more familiar with the comics.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Man, Bruce Willis was awesome in this movie; as soon as I heard him say "Stay strong old man" goosebumps ran up my arms.

Not to say Mickey Rourke and King Arthur weren't good, they were both incredible as well. And for some reason the narration they did for what they were thinking didn't come off as cheesy as it does in alot of other movies, or maybe it's just that this one has an excuse.

In any case, great movie; just need to find someone to see it with me a third time.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Just thought that I would mention what I have already read about the DVD.
It will be released this Fall. In the DVD Package, are the theatrical Version, a ten-or-twenty Minute Film school(or making of featurette), Sin City Tortillas(How to make tortilla wraps?), along with,(why I have such anticipation for it), a separate DVD including the three stories split into their own stories. So you can watch whichever of the three stories you enjoy wether it be Hardigan's, Marv's, or Dwight's. Along with it being able to be watched separately, in this form you will be able to view each story with all of the scenes in tact, the deleted scenes from the Theatrical version will be incorporated into the Separate stories in the DVD Package. possibly adding up to 45 minutes of deleted footage.
I read this from an interview which can be found here. :D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Headless Death said:
possibly adding up to 45 minutes of deleted footage.

The thing is that they had planned to do this all along, it's not like they called the crew back to shot a few scenes more, it was made into 3 full stories, then cut appropriately for the theatrical release. I expect that DVD edition to be quite nice.

Griffith

Heheh, congrats on ypur leet status, Aaz.

Anyway, here's a cool interview with Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller about the movie, conducted by Kevin Smith of all people, so it's just like a three-way comic nerdgasim. ;D

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4569989

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
I finally saw it while on vacation!  Good stuff.  Marv's story was definitely the best part, and the part I expected to like the best since it was my favorite of the comics as well.  I wish they'd shown him going back to mom's to get Gladys though.  ;D

Miller's style was really well executed.  The action scenes were particularly cool, and Kevin moved in the weird creepy way I imagined he would.  I also highly enjoyed Marv smashing through that windshield feet first!

Headless Death said:
Just thought that I would mention what I have already read about the DVD.
It will be released this Fall. In the DVD Package, are the theatrical Version, a ten-or-twenty Minute Film school(or making of featurette), Sin City Tortillas(How to make tortilla wraps?), along with,(why I have such anticipation for it), a separate DVD including the three stories split into their own stories. 

The tortilla thing sounds kind of retarded, but I'm looking forward to seeing each story stand alone. 

Am I the only dame who's replied in this thread?  Sin City isn't a movie for the chicks?  Come on ladies!!  :-*

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
aufond said:
I just went and bought a few sin city books after I saw it.  It's way cool how they make the movie follow lots of the scenes and dialogue.  When I was watching the movie and I saw that molten lava white blood, I was like, "what the fuck!?"  But then after I saw his comics I realize he made the blood white a lot for contrast reasons.  They really respected Miller's original directing for the books,  it makes me wish somebody would do the same with Berserk, cuz Berserk is the ultimate in bloody violence.
yeah and maybe for ghost in the shell they should've went from color to black and white back to color every 10 minutes.

Top Bottom