Watch Old Boy

CnC

Ad Oculos
I'm in no mood to pull up the netflix que either, but I did watch "sympathy for mr vengeance", "Ritana (returner)", Zatoichi, and "Memories of Murder" - off the top of my head.

I enjoyed them all but was a tad disappointed by Memories.

Proj2501 said:
I hear that...Slight Green, issues with the ending? (not challengin' you on it, just curious of your opinion on it.)
Yes. Slightly.
When I say "ending" I mean the plot twist at the end, the reveal of why he has been trapped in an apartment for 15 years. I thought it was stupid and just a horrible explanation and reason for the entire movie.
And then there's the sudden change in character for Dae-su. That was gay.
I didn't like it at all.
But, his actual choice to stay with... the girl, (unsure of her name.. was it Mi-do?) I don't mind all that much. I might've made the same decision. :carcus:

Anyway, in looking up characters' names I ran across this gem on IMDB:

"a lot of people disliked the ending to this movie, and if you watch this film the same way you watch something like Fight Club or Memento (both fine films) then you wont like it either, but this isn't fight club or memento, this is Shakespeare, this is Homer, this is what lies beneath the gloss and dirt. the core. the story itself is unimportant, it's what the story implies that makes it a masterpiece."

Yeah. Right. Whatever. :schierke:

King-2E said:
you should watch the 30+ old school zatoichi movies

some of the greatest movies ever made
I totally agree with this!

If anyone has IFC (The Independent Film Channel) they have Samurai Saturdays and, more than likely, they will play the original Zatoichis.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The story does tend to fade into the "who cares?" zone after a few watches. It's really a character movie with some loose plot points to drive the whole thing. I wouldn't compare it to Shakespeare, but if you're not ANAL, or go into it with ridiculously high expectations, it's one of the great films of the past few years.

PS: Quoting IMDB user reviews? Of course they're going to make it sound ridiculous... I may as well ask Mrs. Johnson's 2nd grade class for their critical review of "Finding Nemo."

Walter said:
PS: Quoting IMDB user reviews? Of course they're going to make it sound ridiculous...  I may as well ask Mrs. Johnson's 2nd grade class for their critical review of "Finding Nemo."
Doesn't mean it wouldn't be funny or cute.

Top Bottom