What's your favorite video games?

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
In response to Walter's coment, you have quite a point. It's true that graphics and power cannot replace good ol' game designer genius. In truth, I still have yet to find a game that tops my copy of Chrono Trigger, and likely never will.

My excitement is not due to the new graphics pushing capabilities of the new consoles, but in the opportunities it opens to game designers. Sure it's easy to run wild and make a practically real experience, the movies have been doing this lately (and have been getting for the most part lamer and lamer), but somehow, there are still titles that come out that utilize the new technology to create an enjoyable and immersive experience that, while it doesn't top the classics, would have been impossible with older technology. For instance, I had the pleasure of renting the first DMC the day it came out. I played the game for hours and ended up with a throbbing headache. This game could simply not be made as enjoyable, or perhaps even possible, on older hardware.

Sure the system upgrades are really just a capitalist competition for our money, but new technology, despite the rif-raf that comes with it, still produces many new and varied games, a few of which reach the status of classics not through use of madern technology, but by using it as a stepping ladder to provide something different and unique. Let's not forget that MGS3 and Pikmin, graphics aside, could not run on a Super Nintendo simply due to the complexity of their gameplay. It certainly isn't necessary to upgrade every five years, but this is a recreational industry, and thus those sitting on the cutting edge of innovation are more appealing than those who sit back and let the thrid party game makers do their work.

As for system loyalty, that coment was born simply out of the fact that the Gamecube had very few games I considdered worth playing. Sure you could list all the good ones and we could get into an argument like you said, but the truth as I see it is that those game developers who, as you mentioned are the real ones to catapult the industry forward do not necessarily spread their efforts equally over several platforms, and being as it is that consoles are quite expensive, one has to choose. I'd rather choose the console which has the innovators working towards its success, rather than one that doesn't. In my case, I believe this is the Playstation 3.

Of course, we aren't really given a choice anymore, since the second a new console comes out, the developers stop making games for the old ones :-\.

Hope that was a decent response. I can see your frustration, and just wanted to let you know that deep down inside, I'm still waiting for the next Chrono Trigger.

Walter said:
The power of the gaming industry has never been fueled by the exponentially advancing hardware specs that console makers have been milking us with for the past decade.  The real movers and shakers that we're addicted to: Miyamoto, Kojima, Sakaguchi, have been using the same, perpetually successful formula of gameplay for almost 2 decades now.  Technology isn't a limitation for these guys, it's a marketing bazooka.
i don't think i have read a more correct statement about the gaming industry than this one.

it really is quite sad. i remember when i was waiting for my Nintendo power magazine to come in the mail every month (this is when Nintendo power was no longer a small little magazine, like a brochure) and could not wait to see what was going to come out next. i like to look at it as video gaming's innocent years. now years and years later a system by the name of Playstation came out. now if i can remember correctly i heard of its price being up to $500 or something ridiculous. well a few years after the insane price dropped a large amount of people started to buy it and the next thing you know it turned into a run away train. and ever since every single next gen console has just gotten more and more ridiculous. they don't even utilize the hardware to its full extent. i mean come on. are you telling me that on the PS2 or XBox that they're using it to its full extent, hell no. and as for

Walter said:
Miyamoto, Kojima, Sakaguchi
these guys are absolutely  great at what they do (or used to do) how ever you want to put it. i truly believe that they(and other game makers) still have so much more potential to make an amazing amount of really great unique and very original games. maybe the money just clouded they're vision :(

Walter said:
The thrill behind MGS3 isn't in its user of shaders, I assure you. The addictiveness of Pikmin, I can safely say, has nothing to do with the lighting capabilities of the GameCube. And I can guarantee you that regardless of whatever limited success the Xbox360 experiences in cross-platform networking, the majorty of gamers will return to the graphically-inferior Counter-Strike before their night is over.
sad to say i still do lol. and maybe your right and i will when the new systems drop.

Vaxillus said:
In response to Walter's coment, you have quite a point. It's true that graphics and power cannot replace good ol' game designer genius. In truth, I still have yet to find a game that tops my copy of Chrono Trigger, and likely never will.
Final Fantasy VII
Vaxillus said:
My excitement is not due to the new graphics pushing capabilities of the new consoles, but in the opportunities it opens to game designers. Sure it's easy to run wild and make a practically real experience
you see i agree on this point. but from what i said above you can see where my argument come up. i really hope they utilize the hardware and make great games for these systems instead of just selling us the hardware and giving us a large load of shitty games.
Vaxillus said:
and just wanted to let you know that deep down inside, I'm still waiting for the next Chrono Trigger.
Final Fantasy VII  ;)

oh i almost forgot
Walter said:
Is it really in our best interest to upgrade our consoles every 5 years?
absolutely not. i hate the fact that as soon as i spend a shit load of money on a system a new one comes out in 5 years. i think that the life of a system should at least be 7 years.
does anyone remember a thing call Sega Genesis,Sega CD, 32X, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Channel, Sega Gamegear! i mean come on does anyone else see this pattern. it seemed Sega just got money hungry and wanted to keep putting out new hardware or anything, to top the other company's. and the only thing they did was lose to those other company's. who would have ever imagined playing sonic on a Nintendo system 8) i believe that if these
company's keep this shit up the systems will become history just like any of the old systems. anyone remember a system called 3DO?

anyway i don't want it to seem like I'm bashing PS2 or XBox or GC. i really love the systems, and a a good amount of the games. I'm just hoping the new consoles have amazing games with something called great storylines and amazing game play. and hopefully use the system potential for graphics and sound.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
I was supremely unimpressed with the Gamecube or even the N64.

And you were impressed with the PS2 or Xbox?

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
As you can see, this is not a very "casual" player orientated area, and that was what most of the gamers are complaining about...

Well, MMORPGs aren't currently designed to favor casual players, even if WoW is trying really hard... I hardly see a justification in people crying over places being "too hard". Anyway as far as I can remember playing MMORPGs, people have been complaining. That's sort of a constant. There'll also always be people there to "have fun d00d" and people that are working, playing "seriously". And these guys usually don't get along either.

Walter said:
Lines like this make me think I've just gotten too old for the gaming industry. The cycle of upgrading has been arbitrary and unredeeming for the past 2 generations of consoles; precisely as long as I've been capable of thinking for myself.

Not sure this has to do with being older or not honestly. I didn't buy my SNES because it had cool graphics or whatever, I bought it to play Super Mario World and Street Fighter 2... Same for the others. It's just that nowadays companies are over-marketing their products on every possible front, be it irrelevant or not, even the console's design... And that people like it that way. Maybe paradoxically it's more a matter of maturity from the gamers than anything else.

I'm sure that even if there were 0 games on the PS3 the day it comes out, people would still buy it. And that's not limited to Sony.

Cronus said:
Pffft. I still am. I love my 60 character. It also helps that I've gotten into the game at a point where the end-game content is just starting to really open up to me. We've only cleared a little bit of Molten Core and BWL is coming soon, along with world events which will be awesome.

My .02 of course.

Yeah, but you've been playing since and until when? You seem to be in the best position in-game right now by the way, where you can fully enjoy everything basically, that's quite cool. I'm not saying the game isn't interesting or that the appeal won't last or anything, but people played games like UO or EQ for 5 years straight, and I can't recount the number of guys that I know lost their girlfriends or wives because there was "another VP raid tonite OMG maybe I'll get the STR40 AGI40 breastplate this time"...

While there's already a good amount of players stopping playing WoW or considering it from what I've heard (now I'm not following all of this closely or anything so...).

In the end though it's true it's a fact that MMORPGs keep attracting more people while the rest of the industry isn't doing so well.

Vaxillus said:
I'd rather choose the console which has the innovators working towards its success, rather than one that doesn't. In my case, I believe this is the Playstation 3.

I'd like to know in what way exactly is the PS3 being innovative...

PS: NDS RULEZ

It amazes me all this debating goes on, when only one truth is evident:

King of Fighters 97' = Greatest Game Ever.
Neo Geo CD, goddamnit.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
bph said:
It amazes me all this debating goes on, when only one truth is evident:

Neo Geo CD, goddamnit.

If you can cope with those loadings, that is. Nothing beats the original Neo Geo.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Not FFVII, I can tell you that much.

The original Sonics and Sonic Adventure brings a smile to my face.

All the metal gears were good, but no replay value really.

G Generation Seed is the last amazing game I've played.

All the Suikodens were great...some greater than others.

The Dark Clouds were cute, and pretty fun.

I liked the Arc the Lad Series too

I still haven't found a game that was a hooking and intresting as Skies of Arcadia, in my opinion that is.

NHL 2k series are great but I only play them to beat the Devils or Islanders.

Max Payne's the best Rockstar game IMO

Lastly, DDR Etreme Japanese Version (Sorry kiddies, I'm somewhat of a DDR boy). and Extreme US Version sucks.

Vaxillus

DarthVenom said:
Final Fantasy VII
In my mind, not even close (though closer than many other games, especially Chrono Cross)

Aazealh said:
And you were impressed with the PS2 or Xbox?
I was impressed with the PS2, though I have to admit that the launch titles were, basically, complete crap.

Aazealh said:
I'm sure that even if there were 0 games on the PS3 the day it comes out, people would still buy it. And that's not limited to Sony.
Yes, quite true. I don't think I would though. I need more proof of support, though I doubt I'd be quite as strong willed as you or Walter. I've neglected to purchase either a PSP or a NDS simply because I'm not willing to cough up the money for a system that a) in the PSP's case isn't really that portable or b)only has a few decent games. The PS3 has quite a few games that look quite impressive. Still, I'm not choking at the bit to reserve one.

Aazealh said:
I was probably unclear. I meant that, historically, the PS2 has been supported by many of the game developers that I like, while Nintendo is loosing them one after another and the Xbox has only a few excellent games, or at least ones I'd consider playing. I suppose I'm just making statements based on predictions, but those predictions proved true with the previous transition, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:

Well I like the fact that it has 7 built in blue-tooth technology ports for controllers( wireless for you non technical folks!). Thats always nice!

It's backwards compatible with the PS1 and PS2 games where as the XBox 360 is still somewhat undecided.... Now if the PS3 could play PSP games well then... that would be pretty f'ing nice. :-*

It has 2 built-in ports so you may play duel screen with 2 high-def televisions for some good stuff!

That and its graphics power is pretty f'ing crazy, especially seen in the Grand Turismo demo for it :-*

I would say those are some nice innovative things... well minus the jacked up graphics since all new game stations have that.... for the most part ^^

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Well I like the fact that it has 7 built in blue-tooth technology ports for controllers( wireless for you non technical folks!). Thats always nice!

Here's what Shigeru Miyamoto says about it:

IGNcube: We're all assuming that the revolutionary aspect of Revolution is the controller. Do you know what the Revolution is yet or are you still trying to figure that out?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Of course. It's set in stone. It has been determined. I'd love to show it to you. I'd love to be able to show you the features of the Revolution controller and tell you about them. However, unfortunately if we do that too early those ideas would be stolen. We know that from past history. Analog stick. Boom - gone. Rumble Pak. We bring it out and everybody has to have rumble. We got the wireless out first and now there's wireless everywhere. So we have to keep it under wraps.

That's a nice feature, but fact is everybody's got it, I bet they even calculated that it'd be cheaper for them in the long term. Their controller being an upgraded version of a SNES controller doesn't help either as far as innovation goes. :p

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
It's backwards compatible with the PS1 and PS2 games where as the XBox 360 is still somewhat undecided.... Now if the PS3 could play PSP games well then... that would be pretty f'ing nice.  :-*.

Well, that was innovative the first time they did it, now it's just in the continuity of what was done before. And I don't think Sony will make it UMD compatible, now that would have been nice.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
It has 2 built-in ports so you may play duel screen with 2 high-def televisions for some good stuff!

That's cool, but I was already doing it on my PSX, the only difference is that you needed a second console. The networking stuff using the Cell processor and having different PS3 working together through 1GB Ethernet is more interesting (though useless) IMHO.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
That and its graphics power is pretty f'ing crazy, especially seen in the Grand Turismo demo for it  :-*

Hideo Kojima says:

"My impression is, for PS3, Sony is aiming for a very high level. I’m not sure if everyone can live up to that high standard that Sony is expecting. So if everyone is expected to meet that high level, I am not sure that every creator, every publisher will be able to meet these high expectations. For Xbox 360, it’s a little bit more down to earth, more realistic so people maybe can join easily to start creating on the 360."

All in all, I think the 2 screen ports and the wireless networking are the 2 strong points of the PS3 against its rivals, but it will be up to Sony to use them effectively.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Hmmm... nice points! Although one thing that has been nagging me in the back of my mind is... they really havent used "100%" of the power of the PS2 yet... so its kinda a waste IMHO.... oh well, maybe one day some 3rd level company will come into the game and use a good portion of it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Although one thing that has been nagging me in the back of my mind is... they really havent used "100%" of the power of the PS2 yet... so its kinda a waste IMHO...

Yeah, it makes you wonder about their constant craving for raw graphic power. Kojima's comment on the PS3 confirms it: developpers themselves don't feel up to the task. As Miyamoto was saying in that other interview I quoted, graphisms are but a small part of a game, and this obsession people have about it nowadays tends to kill creativity. I wish people would concentrate on making quality games and not just pretty cutscenes.

On a side note, I'm surprised nobody mentioned King's Field as their favorite game. 8)

Eddie said:
Not FFVII, I can tell you that much.
Vaxillus said:
In my mind, not even close
both of you have no clue what your talking about ;)
FINAL FANTASY VII is one, if not the single best video game ever created.
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Hmmm... nice points! Although one thing that has been nagging me in the back of my mind is... they really havent used "100%" of the power of the PS2 yet... so its kinda a waste IMHO.... oh well, maybe one day some 3rd level company will come into the game and use a good portion of it.
DarthVenom said:
they don't even utilize the hardware to its full extent. i mean come on. are you telling me that on the PS2 or XBox that they're using it to its full extent, hell no
thats exactly what I'm saying.

You are blind sheep following the false prophets of the Big Three! Someday the reckoning shall come, and the 2D sprite awesomeness of SNK will crash upon you like the bottom falling from heaven! And the AES shall lead you into the light, and all will return to beginning!

So yeah, Metal Slug was pretty great too. Samurai Spirits, Art of Fighting, KoF and Last Blade one one system! I mean, COME ON. Someone also needs to tell Miyamoto that SNK had an analog stick (albeit more of a "joy stick") about six years before Nintendo, so if anything SNK should be laughing at them (even if they did only use a 1x CD drive...)

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
DarthVenom said:
peh, mainstream media says alot of things are great.

Vaxillus

Aazealh said:
Yeah, it makes you wonder about their constant craving for raw graphic power. Kojima's comment on the PS3 confirms it: developpers themselves don't feel up to the task. As Miyamoto was saying in that other interview I quoted, graphisms are but a small part of a game, and this obsession people have about it nowadays tends to kill creativity. I wish people would concentrate on making quality games and not just pretty cutscenes.
I don't care much about excessively real graphics. What about the new technology makes me really excited is the possibilities the processing power presents. For instance, I'm a big Gungrave fan. I'd love to see a sequel done with in game cell shading and even more violent explosions and rampant destruction. So far, the PS2 hasn't been able to provide this, but the PS3 should be adequate. I don't need the game to be much more detailed than it already is or even have a higher polygon count. All I want with a new console is for them to use the added power to enhance the gameplay and make less slowdown and fewer bugs.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
So far, the PS2 hasn't been able to provide this, but the PS3 should be adequate.  I don't need the game to be much more detailed than it already is or even have a higher polygon count.  All I want with a new console is for them to use the added power to enhance the gameplay and make less slowdown and fewer bugs.

Do you think a PS3 is needed to enhance gameplay and fix bugs? Or to have "even more violent explosions and rampant destruction"? Of course not.

I'd love to see a sequel done with in game cell shading and even more violent explosions and rampant destruction. So far, the PS2 hasn't been able to provide this,

If you saw MGS3 you should know the PS2 CAN do that but the producers just decided to make a horrible game to milk the franchise: http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/features/49771/GunGrave_Overdose_Review.html

Do you think a PS3 is needed to enhance gameplay and fix bugs? Or to have "even more violent explosions and rampant destruction"? Of course not.

I personally don't want a PS3 for graphics. I want it because with each generation of game consoles the AI takes a giant leap forward, then back because game makers get cheap and quick. I am getting tired of telling my AI comrade to do something only to have them repeatedly walk into a wall or into the middle of the enemy and stand there till someone shoots and kills them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rage Incarnate said:
I personally don't want a PS3 for graphics.  I want it because with each generation of game consoles the AI takes a giant leap forward, then back because game makers get cheap and quick.

So you want a new console because there are only bad games on the current systems due to the developpers' laziness? It's rather sad, if you ask me.

Aazealh said:
So you want a new console because there are only bad games on the current systems due to the developpers' laziness? It's rather sad, if you ask me.

Actually what I'm saying if that the current system has great games but The AI could be a lot better. I guess I am just tired of comrades attacking walls or the AI spawning enemies within buildings so the spawned enemies I have to kill are stuck and I have to restart the game. Plus the next generation could also offer GTA style open worlds so that you can customize and your characters and have different gaming experiences every time. My point is that though the PS2 generation of games did open many doors the next generation is going to improve every aspect of the game. Except camera angles, which outside first person games, suck so much ass.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rage Incarnate said:
Actually what I'm saying if that the current system has great games but The AI could be a lot better.

Yeah, but that hardly has anything to do with the system's "power", hence my previous post.

Rage Incarnate said:
Plus the next generation could also offer GTA style open worlds so that you can customize and your characters and have different gaming experiences every time.

Well, then again, maybe they could do it on the PS2 already... Anyway you do whatever you want and believe what you see fit to.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
DarthVenom said:

Bah, FF7 gets horribly overrated. As with most FFs, not that they're bad, just not the greatest things ever. That said, I'm looking forward to FF12, since I heard it's being developed by the same team behind FFT and Vagrant Story, two games I enjoyed more than the main Final Fantasy series.

I stand by Planescape: Torment for best RPG video game.

Eddie said:
peh, mainstream media says alot of things are great.
i know but that time they were right 8)
Woland said:
Bah, FF7 gets horribly overrated. As with most FFs, not that they're bad, just not the greatest things ever.
i think its rated nicely as the best RPG of all time(i think it might even be underrated ;)) . it was absolutely groundbreaking to the world of gaming. and the story line was absolutely amazing along with the Materia system. i mean i even loved the music. on a scale from 1-10 i would rate it a 10 and I'm taking everything about the game into consideration.
Woland said:
I'm looking forward to FF12
so am i.
Woland said:
I stand by Planescape: Torment for best RPG video game.
it was a good game but it was no FFVII ;)

Vaxillus

Rage Incarnate said:
If you saw MGS3 you should know the PS2 CAN do that but the producers just decided to make a horrible game to milk the franchise: http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/features/49771/GunGrave_Overdose_Review.html
A review worth reading: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/545/545144p1.html

Aazealh said:
The PS2 only has so much RAM.

DarthVenom said:
i know but that time they were right 8)i think its rated nicely as the best RPG of all time(i think it might even be underrated ;)) . it was absolutely groundbreaking to the world of gaming. and the story line was absolutely amazing along with the Materia system. i mean i even loved the music. on a scale from 1-10 i would rate it a 10 and I'm taking everything about the game into consideration.so am i.it was a good game but it was no FFVII ;)
It had a great beginning, but it got boring for me.  Most of the game is spent wandering around untill you happen to arrive at your destination.  It's not like "we should go 'here,' it's that way," it's like "we should go 'here,' but we have no clue in which direction 'here' is."  There are also an unnecessary amount of side quest, so much that you can get lost in one and mistake it for the main path.  It certainly has its high points, but it really is overrated in my opinion.  It's not godly.

Mormegil said:
Gamecube
Super Smash Brothers Melee

I can't believe Mormegil is the only one hear that likes Smash! So, I'll have to second you on that!

Smash Melee, in my opinion, is one of the greatest damn fighters ever created. I know the general public think it's a kiddy game, with no strategy, but as someone who's an avid gamer, I think those that haven't played too much of Smash should give it a shot! =).

On a side note: I once entered into an internationally wide Smash tournament (a year ago), and I lost first two rounds (double elimination). It was pretty pathetic, but I was playing against the best of the best. Japan was there too, actually, one of them captured 2nd place.

Top Bottom