Who is the best swordsman after Guts?

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
If Gatts and the little guy with the wimpy fencing sword were to fight on a open field and both guys were are at full strenght, Gatts will easily destroy the little guy if you think about it.

Gatts have a bigger sword. Therefore, he have a larger reach. U can't block his sword head on if the other sword is small. The only way to attack Gatts is to find a opening and strike fast. However, Gatts is not stupid. He keep his distant far and hes fast and strong. Also, he can just use his cannon and blast anyone dead.

I wonder how strong Gatts is without his sword. Can he street fight?

M

Majin_Gatsu

I wonder how strong Gatts is without his sword.  Can he street fight?

Of course he can ;D
He breaks some soldier's face in volume 1 with his metal arm. Despite the size of his equipment (ahem ::) ) Gatsu has a lot of finesse. Also, when he fights Silatt, he is denied the use of his sword many times ... he doesn't seem to falter at all during those times ... Remember when he catches the rings of death? And let not forget when Gatsu kicks Silatt square in the ass ::) ...

Gatsu is so cool 8)

Guts also crushed with his arm some Iron Chain knights when he was too weakened to start a fight with his sword...

But I wouldn't say that he could defeat Serpico so easily;
they actually had a skirmish in an open field, and the outcome wasn't expected. Both thought to take the other by surprise
Of course Serpico can't parry Guts' sword with his own; but being significant lighter than Guts (not to mention the weight difference between the two blades), if we assume that they have the same reflexes, Serpico wins the speed confront.
This is also proven by the hindraces related to Guts' bulky frame on the duel on the cliff...

JIN

Yudanero...
Guts also crushed with his arm some Iron Chain knights when he was too weakened to start a fight with his sword...
Yep and a few of those hand to hand moves used in Vol.16 were incorporated into the DC game. The slide move for instance. I dont recall Guts using it before or after that encounter either. :)

fnh

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Gatts would destroy Serpico if they ever got into a real fight.  He's good but nowhere near what the other guy can do.  Also, in the first confrontation you'll notice that Gatts turned to his right as he is about to leave.  Then the next page shows Gatts swing his sword with his right arm coming from the left side.  This meant that Gatts had to take out his huge ass sword from his back then  move it to his front then swing it.  He did all of this while Serpico simply took his sword out from his side and swung it.  Gatts had to perform more montions then Serpico and still had time to dodge the slash and throw one of his own, matching Serpcio's speed.  If Gatts had decided to use his left hand and spin to his left, he would of cut Serpico in two before he even got his sword out.

Oh, and my vote goes to Bosgocne as the second best swordsman.  The guy was tougher than 100 men.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Serpico KNOWS he can't take on Guts on even terms. He tried to fight Guts when he had the advantage, and while he did have the upper hand, all he managed to do was cut Guts a couple of times.
Boscogne is tough. Silatt is extremely skilled but not necessarily a "swordsman". Adon's also very good.
We need a FFA to see... I guess

Yeah, remember that fight on the ledge? Didn`t Serpico run away because Gatts caught his sword with his right hand? And didn`t Serpico run away from that fight where he had every advantage? Serpico is cool, but Gatts is the Human Tornado.

Gutts

I love YaBB!
Hi! I'm new here and to Berserk, so I'm sorry if I ask some stupid questions.. :( Who is Bosgocne? ??? I've read the first volume of Berserk and I'm working on getting the 2nd and 3rd. Thanks for the help! (By the way, great webpage!)

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
Hi! I'm new here and to Berserk, so I'm sorry if I ask some stupid questions..  :( Who is Bosgocne?  ??? I've read the first volume of Berserk and I'm working on getting the 2nd and 3rd. Thanks for the help! (By the way, great webpage!)
Wait until volume 7 and u ll find out! 8)

Besides how u get to berserk??
read u are 14 and live in the US;so which language u read it??
there still is no english version is there?

yet why u spell urself "GUTTS"?

Gutts

I love YaBB!
Well, at first I downloaded the raw scans of Berserk vol 1, using text translations to figure out what was happening. Then I found this person who has scanned and translated (scanlated :p) up to volume 8!! It takes a while to download for my slow internet connect but I dont mind! :)

Well, Guts is his name right? I know some people call him Gatsu and Gatts and so forth but since someone already has the name Guts here I went with Gutts. :)

Gutts

I love YaBB!
I know you're suppose to buy the manga but its not sold in the US (nowhere near me anyways.) :( Is Guts phobic of people touching him because of Donavan? Thats sick, I'm glad Guts killed him!! :D This is probably all old news for you guys.. So I guess I'll have to try to catch up in reading!

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
I know you're suppose to buy the manga but its not sold in the US (nowhere near me anyways.)
Well if u don t have the opportunity to get the manga in a shop u should try to order it through internet.(ITS CHRISTMAS TIME!)
Is Guts phobic of people touching him because of Donavan?  Thats sick, I'm glad Guts killed him!!  :D This is probably all old news for you guys.. So I guess I'll have to try to catch up in reading!
Go,go,go...!

Gutts

I love YaBB!
Now back to the topic! ;D I agree, Boscone was prolly 2nd to Guts. But #1 would probably be Griffith (before Femto not after, haven't gotten that for yet.)

Rod_Su

I might be crazier than you think.
Everyone forgets about Boscogne...Sniff...

Dont forget about Azan. Hes pretty damned up there in strength as well. He gave Guts a good runaround in volume 16, and fended off the demons in volumes 20-21 rather well.

Boscone uses a battle axe.

Azan uses a mace (and he fought Guts after Guts have a couple of rounds with demons).

I know clearly that this is a long forgotten topic, but this is so interesting that it is hard to resist putting a remark on it. :p

Okay, before I rank anyone, I would like to say that u should not define best swordsman by just looking at his physical strength, u should rank them overall as a fighter, such as how they handle their enemy in one vs. one combat.

Let see for now, the top candidates I suppose will be Serpico, Silatt, Boscone and human Griffin. This is how I rank them, Since each of them actually confronted Gutz, I use Gutz as a reference and base their rank according to the resistances it has pose to Gutz and what happen after the battle ended.

1) Gutz- Needless to say, this guy is the strongest human ever existed in Berserk world. Though he may not be as intelligent as Serpico or old griffin in term of fighting strategy, but his inhuman strength had overcome all his weaknesses.

2) Serpico- Like it or not, this guy I will definitely vote him for that, he is a BADASS. I have never seen as a powerful swordskill in anyone before, The agility and the quick reflexes he had seem to be even better than the old griffin. He had engage Gutz twice, but he is able to scratch him and retreat safely (I mean without any injury) at the same time, no one had ever done that except for Silatt. Considering he challenge Gutz at his current status, who do u think anyone could have done the same? Even though it is not fair on their 2nd battle, but the fact that he attack Gutz weakness and how he made used of the terrain around showed that he is a very intelligent fighter. Like I say, the best fighter may not just depend on his physical power. Let say if Serpico engage Boscone in a battle, he will be dead for sure if he just attack, but together with his intelligent and experience, he might win somehow eventually.

3) Silatt- Even I feel that Boscone should be 3rd instead of Silatt, but based on his combat with Gutz, he survived both encounters. The only reason why Boscone was not here because he was killed by Gutz.
Nevertheless, I will still rank both the same in my list.

4) Boscone- This guy I admit that he is the strongest human ever beside Gutz, He was only one of the few human that pose life threatening danger to Gutz. Even though he is dead, nobody had the strength that match his (Azan might be the closest candidate).

5) Human Griffin- Perhaps u might not believe, this guy is not as great as u imagine. At first I also thought he was damned powerful, able to slash off Zodd's hand etc. But during the Tuda war, I know that he wasn’t that *Strong*, because he is not Boscone match, that why he sent Gutz to fight (If not, tell me another reason why even during the crucial point where Gutz sword was broken, that Griffin just stood there and watched). In the end I was right! It really surprise me that he was defeated so easily, before even he could scratch Gutz, he was down by just 1 blow (What more, if Gutz know about his future, I'm sure he will be in 2 pieces by then). Regardless of what I just said, he is still among the elite fighter at that time.

These are just my observations, I’m bound to have make mistakes because I m not Miura myself, correct me if possible :)

Doa Viem

You were too soft...
Question to this long forgotten topic as I Have not read far into the manga, but is Boscogne still considered equal to Guts i in terms of strength? I mean during their fight He and Guts fought evenly Guts just had a crack in his sword causing it to break and by the time Zodd tossed down his giant BAD-ASS sword Boscogne's was already broken. Also what do you people think about the other (Dead) hawks abilities as a fighter?

Doa Viem said:
But is Boscogne still considered equal to Guts i in terms of strength? I mean during their fight He and Guts fought evenly

Yes, Boscone was match with Gutz in term of strength at that time when Gutz was still 18 yrs old, before he left the hawk. But dun forget, he came back after a year more STRONGER. He was even capable of killing the first apostle Wild. Even though he lost an eye and his left arm during the eclipse, he seem to as or even more powerful than before the eclipse, more likely becz of his revenge. What's more he had been killing monster every night for 2 long years. :eek: Can't imagine how strong he had become. i bet if boscone is still alive now, he will be hacked into pieces by just 1 stroke from Gutz dragonslayer!

Doa Viem said:
Also what do you people think about the other (Dead) hawks abilities as a fighter?

The only other hawk fighter worth mentioning is Judeau and Pippin, the rest are just normal fighter.

Judeau has a remarkable marksman in his throwing skill (Gutz's throwing dagger was taught by him!) while Pippin is the strongest fighter beside Gutz in the hawk. But still they are not strong enough to survive the eclipse! :p

Top Bottom