Who plays RPGs? What's your favorite?

Re: Who play's RPG's? What's your favorite?

Squaresoft=Good Company. SquareEA=mediocre company. SquareEnix=Horrible company. That's all I'll say about that.

Anyway, I'm excited about SUPER PAPER MARIO, but it's apparently losing a lot of its RPG elements...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

bph said:
Anyway, I'm excited about SUPER PAPER MARIO, but it's apparently losing a lot of its RPG elements...
I don't think it was intended to be a sequel or anything. It's just using the look of Paper Mario in a "platformer." But I agree it looks fucking awesome. Apparently you can switch from 2d to 3d at will.

bph said:
Squaresoft=Good Company. SquareEA=mediocre company. SquareEnix=Horrible company. That's all I'll say about that.
Imo, that's a "horrible" thing to say, and you take company mergers far too seriously. Electronic Arts didn't come in and boss Nomura, or Kitase, Yoshida or Uematsu. Enix doesn't knock on Square's door and say "Shit, would you mind changing this about how you use your game...?" Square didn't beat down the door of Tri-Ace while working on Valkyrie Profile 2 and demand changes, and enix had no impact on Kingdom Hearts. You also forget the window between the Square EA and Square Enix merger, so in other words, your logic is completely counter-intuitive.

And by rankings alone, Square-Enix has been far more successful financially and critically than any other merger. Not to knock you or anything, but that doesn't seem any more of a founded deduction than nostalgia XP

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

I think what he's saying actually is based on a founded deduction having nothing to do with superfluous, superficial business practices; namely, that most of their, whatever they're calling themselves, games in the past few years have "sucked balls." It's just simpler and more demonstrative of change the way bph decided to put it. =)

Now that's just my opinion as someone who likes 1 in 1,000 games anyway, but the last game from them I can honestly say I enjoyed was... Chrono Cross, by coincidence.

Ahhhhhh square. How we all love to hate you! :zodd: I can think of few companies who have drawn both so much fire and praise from gamers. I think one thing remains clear after their continued success, regardless of the flak they take: they won't change.

My fave RPGs: Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 3, Diablo 2 if you can count it, FF6j, FF9.

Basically most things that came out in the late 1990s :badbone:

Can someone change the title of this thread? The misplaced apostrophe in "play's" and "RPG's" is killin me, smalls! :judo:

Re: Who plays RPG's? What's your favorite?

The last Squaresoft Game I genuinely enjoyed was FFT on PSX, although I agree with Griff that Chrono Cross was good, and the last Final Fantasy I enjoyed was VI. VII was okay. So essentially, I feel that the PSX years were mediocre, and everything else has been shit. As for their sales and critical reception, I don't care. When it comes to videogames, art is in the eye of the beholder, and the eyes of Squaresoft fanboys must be completely blinded by their consumer whore natures. I wasn't implying that the mergers caused the drop in quality, just that those were the periods of decline (as opposed to creating some sort of suckage chart).

I do not enjoy their videogames these days, and I hate to say this as a die hard Squaresoft fan from my SNES days. Also, "You also forget the window between the Square EA and Square Enix merger, so in other words, your logic is completely counter-intuitive." NO, they were mediocre in that "window", and horrible afterwards. Here is the aformentioned suckage chart:

squaresuckagechartja3.png

Griffith

Nice chart bph, it makes me want to dig up some of the older Advent Children generated media. =)

Ah, here we are!

ff7acskull2.GIF

Again, thanks to Dr. Thorpe and Something Awful.​

I get what it is being said, but again, its still something that is horribly inaccurate.
Final Fantasy 1,2,3 are something truly in this day and age that aren't something I'd recommend to people who don't have a hard-on for nostalgia, and the Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest(Secret of Mana 1)..high time for a golden age. And again that's my point with yours. Your preference was the "SNES" era, and while respecting your opinion, you're taking in a high factor of nostalgia and staying safe in your comfort zone. You also overly state your opinion that gaming has some how degraded into a form of quick cash cows, when nothing is further from the truth.

To follow up on this, what exactly is your point? You rant and bicker about how bad Square is now, yet claim Final Fantasy VI to be your favorite Square game. Tetsuya Nomura, the brainchild behind the "MASTERPIECE!!"! known as "Advent Children" designed Setzer and Shadow and was the lead monster designer in FFVI, Yoshinori Kitase was the scenario director and Nobuo Uematsu was still making his music and the battle director (if not over half the staff)was still the same. These are the same people who worked on Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X, X-2, and Advent Children, the so called "Bronze age" you now bicker about.

Your opinion respected and all, but if you have issues with Square's change, take it up with the people who diverged from your "ideal" setting instead of shooting in the dark at companies and ghosts about "games aren't what they used to be", you'll find your answer a lot quicker. My point wasn't just in your flawed deduction skills, but you have a "No, seriously, there were no better games after this point, that's the bottom line" attitude towards this, and that's simply not the case at all.

Sir, you are grossly misrepresenting my views here, but I am willing to answer you point by point.

"Final Fantasy 1,2,3 are something truly in this day and age that aren't something I'd recommend to people who don't have a hard-on for nostalgia, and the Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest(Secret of Mana 1)..high time for a golden age. And again that's my point with yours. Your preference was the "SNES" era, and while respecting your opinion, you're taking in a high factor of nostalgia and staying safe in your comfort zone. You also overly state your opinion that gaming has some how degraded into a form of quick cash cows, when nothing is further from the truth. "

1, 2, 3 were great in their own time, and 3/5 games being great is a hell of a lot better than their current track record.  It has nothing to do with a "comfort zone".

"To follow up on this, what exactly is your point? You rant and bicker about how bad Square is now, yet claim Final Fantasy VI to be your favorite Square game. Tetsuya Nomura, the brainchild behind the "MASTERPIECE!!"! known as "Advent Children" designed Setzer and Shadow and was the lead monster designer in FFVI, Yoshinori Kitase was the scenario director and Nobuo Uematsu was still making his music and the battle director (if not over half the staff)was still the same. These are the same people who worked on Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X, X-2, and Advent Children, the so called "Bronze age" you now bicker about."

I never used the term Bronze age, why did you put it in quotes?  The fact that these people produced good games in the past does not mean that they will automatically produce good ones in the future.  VII, VIII, X, X-2 and Advent Children were not good, with Advent Children being the biggest piece of mindless drivel I've ever been witness to.  To put it in perspective, Godfathers 1, 2 and 3 were directed by Francis Ford Coppola and had Pacino as Michael Corleone.  And yet, SOMEHOW, magically, the innate essences of Pacino and Coppola didn't manifest in 3, and it is a horrible film.  I don't understand how the same people who once did good work making something new automatically qualifies it as good, irrespective of its own content.

Finally, on your last point, I never said that "games aren't what they used to be".  There are companies making games just as good as those SNES Final Fantasies, those companies simply are not SquareEnix, and their staffs do not include Nomura or Kitase. I'm simply willing to look at these people and their work objectively, without becoming a fanboy who mindlessly praises anything they produce. And on that note, the fact that they were involved with Advent Children cancels out any of the leeway they may have deserved; I mean, that thing was just godawful.  Ugh. 

Griffith

NERD FIGHT!!!

Yeah, you're not being very open-minded, Manji. It's possible we just happen to think these games suck, quite possibly because they do. Maybe you should just accept that and agree to disagree, because I don't want any similarly unfounded assertions of hypocrisy concerning the objectivity of those who are "educated" about their personal favorite game devs to start getting thrown around (not that it's possible to pay too much attention to those things =). That would be silly.

But man, Zelda hasn't been the same since Eiji Aonuma took over directorial duties, I hate it now! =)

bph said:
I never used the term Bronze age, why did you put it in quotes?
Specifying a figurative term
bph said:
The fact that these people produced good games in the past does not mean that they will automatically produce good ones in the future.
Fact, I'd like you to meet a little someone called personal opinion.
bph said:
VII, VIII, X, X-2 and Advent Children were not good, with Advent Children being the biggest piece of mindless drivel I've ever been witness to.
And again, that's your personal opinion which you keep blindly stating as universal fact. I didn't enjoy VI as much as the general crowd, but that doesn't mean I think the game is complete shit and haggle the fact 90% of Square's so-called great generation was the reason Final Fantasy had the name "Final" in it to begin with. And if you're calling VII+ a cash cow, why even bother to continue it to begin with if that wasn't the very intent?

bph said:
To put it in perspective, Godfathers 1, 2 and 3 were directed by Francis Ford Coppola and had Pacino as Michael Corleone. And yet, SOMEHOW, magically, the innate essences of Pacino and Coppola didn't manifest in 3, and it is a horrible film. I don't understand how the same people who once did good work making something new automatically qualifies it as good, irrespective of its own content.
And I don't see how magically a year or two and a shift to 3d somehow justifies calling every game hence forth "mediocre" or "shit".
bph said:
Finally, on your last point, I never said that "games aren't what they used to be". There are companies making games just as good as those SNES Final Fantasies,
4,5,6 and Mystic Quest?...
bph said:
those companies simply are not SquareEnix, and their staffs do not include Nomura or Kitase.
Final Fantasy VI
Hironobu Sakaguchi (game producer, original concept)
Yoshinori Kitase (game director, scenario writer)
Yoshitaka Amano (image designer, character designer, title logo designer)
Tetsuya Nomura (character designer)
Nobuo Uematsu (composer)
Advent Children
Director: Tetsuya Nomura
Producers: Yoshinori Kitase
Final Fantasy X-2
Yoshinori Kitase (game producer)
Hironobu Sakaguchi (executive producer)
Tetsuya Nomura (character designer)
Yoshitaka Amano (image illustrator, title logo designer)

Sans XII, which was made by the staff that did Final Fantasy Tactics,and Amano's and Nomura's changeup, there is no massive difference. And before hailing Square's golden times (again, my own term) please actually look at all the games they made and their appeal before preaching...please. They don't just make Final Fantasy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_games
...And what does the list turn up?
every game Square has made
Even the Final Fantasy VI revamp for the GBA has this title tagged on. It has nothing substantial to do with the creative decisions of the company...

bph said:
I'm simply willing to look at these people and their work objectively, without becoming a fanboy who mindlessly praises anything they produce.
Than you're either being hypocritical or a rebel without a cause. I critique every Square game, because every single one is flawed in their own right. I don't prefer a given "age" or "Generation", yet you do. How can you claim to hold no bias yourself when you hold every release up to a previous title or console and yet be open minded?

bph said:
And on that note, the fact that they were involved with Advent Children cancels out any of the leeway they may have deserved; I mean, that thing was just godawful. Ugh.
You'd be right captain, and I agree with it being crudy, except for one thing,
It's not a game.
You're talking about a digression in game quality, when really Square is just doing what its been doing all along, yes, even during the SNES fanbase, milking its fanbase. All companies do it. They are no less noble than they were ten years ago, just better at doing what they intended to do at the first place. But that doesn't mean their future games have suffered because of this.

Griffith No More! said:
NERD FIGHT!!!
Not really, I wouldn't really care to bother with it if I hadn't noticed a huge steaming pile of hypocrisy. Again, actually bother to do some research on what exactly the company "Square" entails, instead of preaching about their "popular" titles and how you like A generation better than B. Both have their hits and misses, and there's a fine difference between "legitimate criticism" and "stating opinions as facts."

"Sans XII, which was made by the staff that did Final Fantasy Tactics,and Amano's and Nomura's changeup, there is no massive difference. And before hailing Square's golden times (again, my own term) please actually look at all the games they made and their appeal before preaching...please. They don't just make Final Fantasy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_games
...And what does the list turn up?
every game Square has made
Even the Final Fantasy VI revamp for the GBA has this title tagged on. It has nothing substantial to do with the creative decisions of the company..."

I WAS REFERRING TO GAMES MADE BY OTHER COMPANIES LIKE NAMCO, NINTENDO, ETC. Other companies have surpassed Square. I am saying that I no longer enjoy their games, be it the company or those developers, and have turned to other, completely unrelated companies. Why do you assume everything is about Squaresoft?
I'm saying, those developers don't make good games anymore, they work for Square, who produce the games. However you define the company, MY PERSONAL OPINION is that they are not good, this is Shootin' the Breeze where I am pretty damn sure my personal opinion counts as a determinant in what is or isn't good to me. Finally, I didn't say the later games were cash cows, I said that people who buy them because of the final fantasy name or the fact that those developers produced them, rather than the quality of the game itself, are consumer whores.

Also, quit attributing things to other posters that they don't say.

"Again, actually bother to do some research on what exactly the company "Square" entails, instead of preaching about their "popular" titles and how you like A generation better than B. Both have their hits and misses, and there's a fine difference between "legitimate criticism" and "stating opinions as facts.""

I didn't use those terms, and Square was one company from its inception in 83' until the merger with Enix, I am well aware of that. I never used the word "popular" or the terms "stating opinions as facts" or "legitimate criticism". They just stopped being a good company. I never said that it's a fact that they make horrible games, I said that I think they make horrible games. Essentially, cogito ergo meus sententiae sunt.

Honestly though, can't we just agree that we have differing opinions about these games, and get back to the topic of Super Paper Mario? Now THAT looks like a good game.

bph said:
Honestly though, can't we just agree that we have differing opinions about these games, and get back to the topic of Super Paper Mario? Now THAT looks like a good game.
I have nothing wrong with a differing opinion, or someone preferring a set game. My one (and only) point that you and GNM continue to take out of epic proportions and dig a hole into is that there is no "Decline" in Square's quality that isn't just that, a differing opinion, and the fact Square is called "EA" or "Soft" or "Enix" has no impact on the quality of said games, and to further this, many of the "great" games on the SNES and PSone have been rebranded and sold under the "SquareEnix" title, so there's no need to hackle the company or call anybody who purchases their new games "mindless".

As for paper mario, yes nice game glad to see it, etc.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Seriously... why's it always so personal when it comes to Square?

As for Super Paper Mario, I'm pretty pissed they didn't release it for the GC when they could have. The game's been assumedly ready to ship since this time last year. But when the Wii was announced, they held off, and now we see why: so they can release another first-party game on the Wii... dirty, dirty trick Nintendo.

Did anyone else NOT enjoy Paper Mario 2 as much as the original title? I really adore the style and gameplay, but the writing just wasn't up to par.

Manji said:
As for paper mario, yes nice game glad to see it, etc.
Wow.

Walter said:
Not really personal, it could have been about Namco or or Capcom or *insert popular company a*, simple as that.

Walter said:
Did anyone else NOT enjoy Paper Mario 2 as much as the original title?
I preferred the first myself.
Walter said:
Epic, I know. Deep breath.

Griffith

Manji said:
Not really, I wouldn't really care to bother with it if I hadn't noticed a huge steaming pile of hypocrisy.

Oh, I see, that's not nerdy at all, because this... IS SERIOUS! :troll:

Manji said:
Again, actually bother to do some research on what exactly the company "Square" entails, instead of preaching about their "popular" titles and how you like A generation better than B.

Speaking of research, I didn't even say those things, you're getting your arguments crossed and involving me needlessly in a sloppy and dubious argument (and basically misrepresenting the point others are trying to make, even though you claim to understand it otherwise). Not liking Square's recent games doesn't mean one's caught in some nostalgia trap (even if you cite your decline in interest as coinciding with external company changes), and it's an especially ironic lecture on objectivity coming from someone babbling about "research on what exactly the company Square entails." You brought it up in the first place, and yeah, researching game companies is apparently how any objective person rates games.

Manji said:
Both have their hits and misses, and there's a fine difference between "legitimate criticism" and "stating opinions as facts."

Well, any opinions I stated were clearly just opinions, so I don't see your rationale to say otherwise without going into an argument about good and bad points of the games specifically. And again, not even sure how this applies to me, especially since you only quoted the selection "NERD FIGHT" and then made the point with this diatribe about Square, the nerdiest subject on the Internet which you apparently research in your spare time. =)

Walter said:

Because Square is cool and anyone who thinks otherwise is a stupidhead jerkface, making casual comments about your displeasure with a companies product is horrible and ignorant. :judo:

Griffith No More! said:
too much stuff
The last paragraph wasn't directed at you, and you just wasted your past 15 minutes typing up a massive misunderstanding on your part that I didn't really bother to read. But that's whatever it is you were talking about for you, and the pretentious assumptions that goes with it.

Griffith

I guess it doesn't matter who your posts are "directed" to since you only seem to hear your own voice and are incapable of an intelligent two way discussion, which caused this entire misunderstanding in the first place. You are correct, talking to you is a waste of time.

Griffith No More! said:
I guess it doesn't matter who your posts are "directed" to since you only seem to hear your own voice
Yet you keep bothering to reply. I hear an echo.
Griffith No More! said:
which caused this entire misunderstanding in the first place.
Your own fault for being to eager too input a witty SA tag in you've been dying to use, not mine. It was a simple statement that there shouldn't be a prejudice against any company, versus trying to apply some stereotype to me and sate your ego all over it.
Griffith No More! said:
You are correcting, talking to you is a waste of time.
T_T! WHY GOD, WHY!

Griffith

Why are you so defensive about this, anyway? You're starting to sound like this happens to you a lot. =)

Griffith No More! said:
Why are you so defensive about this, anyway? You're starting to sound like this happens to you a lot. =)
Oh come hither Griffith, you really think I care about what you or BPH thinks about _______ game or why? I said "respect opinions" aside more than enough, it wasn't a footnote or legal document stamp, it was there with intent. The point was the company hate is needless, just judge the games on their stand alone merit, as it should always be done. I don't care what company it's for, I've said this enough already. I'm not a fan of Advent Children, hell I saved your image for fun.

But again, its you and bph who seem to love the vision of me as a champion of Square, really now.

Walter, thanks for making it official though. :void:

Griffith

Glad we're dropping the cute stuff (after the first line anyway, at least I'm always being cute when I hither others =), but the perception of a square champion (which I don't love for you BTW) came from your reaction in relation some pretty casual comments. Not so much the point you were making in itself, but its application to what had been said and how it characterized those of differing opinions. It just seemed uncalled for and a bit presumptuous at the time. Even then, I was just teasing from the sidelines, but suddenly it was me lumped in with bph (and yeah, I played off of that) versus you in a big nerd fight nobody had much conviction for.

But c'mon, you got defensive about Square, admit it. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Now that we're on page 6, I think it's safe to say we've hit all the big name BEST RPG EVER titles. So how about a divergence into WORST RPG EVER titles?

I'll start! I think the most painful RPG experience I've ever had was probably SaGa Frontier. The whole multiple character/interweaving storylines bit got old after the first 10 minutes and all that was left after that gimmick was a world whose story nor battle system made any sense.

SaGa was bad, though, on a level of pure pain, it could be a tie with Kingdom Hearts.

Griffith

Everything by Square after they joined forces with that evil Electronic Arts! :troll:

Honestly, I'm having trouble thinking of a WORST, despite my "sucked" comments about later Square titles, I'm really more neutral about them. Hmmmm, nothing springs to mind, except maybe FF8 actually, but that's relatively speaking since there's obviously much worse, but that was the first one that really turned me off.

Griffith No More! said:
Glad we're dropping the cute stuff (after the first line anyway, at least I'm always being cute when I hither others =), but the perception of a square champion came from your reaction to casual comments. Not so much the point you were making in itself, but its application to what had been said and how it characterized those of differing opinions. It just seemed uncalled for and a bit presumptuous.

And c'mon, you got defensive about Square, admit it. :carcus:
hmmmmm......Well I guess you could say I got more defensive about it because to me the argument (at first) seemed a little bit "Old" vs "New" gaming, it was really more my goal to filter that out than Square. I Guess I did get more defensive than I usually do. I was just going to make it short and casual but
Griffith No More! said:
Everything by Square after they joined forces with that evil Electronic Arts! :troll:
OH NO YOU DIDN'T.

Don't worry.
Tonight.
You.

and since Walter is now on the subject, I agree with SaGa Frontier....hmmm...but there's another RPG ...Quest 64, no...FATAL. Yep, definitely FATAL.

Top Bottom