Mass Effect 2

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
Really? Is it superior to ME2? Storywise?

Significantly, let me put it this way...

NightCrawler said:
Unfortunately it's just another game that most likely won't create any emotional impact within me, something lacking in my gaming experiences since Shenmue 2 (and to a lesser extent Silent Hill 2).

...It's like you've opted not to play those games in favor of Resident Evil 5 because its more streamlined.

Aphasia said:
Really? Well, it might be because you're not far enough in. I thought they did a great job with making sure your choices had real consequences. I'm in the same boat with you, started with the sequel because I heard the gameplay of the first was jank.

I guessed as much, basically you guys fucked up. In a series lauded for its story, you skipped... the story. The irony is that ME2's gameplay is arguably just as broken.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Griffith said:
I guessed as much, basically you guys fucked up. In a series lauded for its story, you skipped... the story. The irony is that ME2's gameplay is arguably just as broken.

Well, I still have no idea what happens in ME1, so the story part will be generally untouched when I go back to experience it. It's like watching the Berserk anime before reading the manga. Whoops.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aphasia said:
ME2 Spoilers ahoy:
I'm curious about your plans for importing into ME3...Did anybody die on your first run-through? Are you going to replay to change the outcome or stick with the way things happened? Do you have two saves you're going to import? (rengade/paragon?) I'm amazed by all the different outcomes the game can have, it's really cool. I had a few team-mates die, and some of the crew...I think because I took too long. I think I'll start by going through the first game.

Same way save data is taken from ME1 to ME2. If you have multiple saves your system will automatically ask you which one you wish to use. At least, I believe it's safe to say it will be.

Aphasia

Nomad said:
Same way save data is taken from ME1 to ME2. If you have multiple saves your system will automatically ask you which one you wish to use. At least, I believe it's safe to say it will be.
Yeah I garnered that much, I was more just curious about what you personally were going to do, like if you had multiple saves or just one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Well, I still have no idea what happens in ME1, so the story part will be generally untouched when I go back to experience it. It's like watching the Berserk anime before reading the manga. Whoops.

Don't delude yourself, playing through ME2 before ME1 will have consirably weakened the experience.

Aphasia

Aazealh said:
Don't delude yourself, playing through ME2 before ME1 will have consirably weakened the experience.

True, but at the very least I can go back and experience the story. You're right that 2 won't be as poignant having already gone through it. But it should still prove fun to go through 1 and export the game to 2 for a replay to see what I missed.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
True, but at the very least I can go back and experience the story. You're right that 2 won't be as poignant having already gone through it. But it should still prove fun to go through 1 and export the game to 2 for a replay to see what I missed.

What I meant is that if you paid a minimum of attention in ME2 you already how ME1 ends, what its main plot and big mysteries are, etc. The game's main drive being its story, the experience is obligatorily lessened. But I don't mean to discourage you from trying it out, far from it. It's an amazing game.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:

Being almost finished with ME2 i decided that i won't go back to play the first one for the issue you mentioned. The gameplay is wearing on me. There's a great disparity between the unchallenging and repetitive action scenes and the story parts (and i won't even talk about mining which is one obvious problem). The action scenarios and backdrops really need to be more varied if they want to make the game compelling to play, and not just a burden to go through until the next cutscene.
That's why i'll just watch ME1 - the movie - on youtube.
Looking back, i was persuaded by the numerous reviews saying ME2 was superior in every way. I probably missed on a better story/experience. It's a shame, but i don't have the endurance to play more than one of these games.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Being almost finished with ME2 i decided that i won't go back to play the first one for the issue you mentioned.

What? My point was there's really nothing wrong with ME1's gameplay except for a couple of common problems on the periphery; driving the tank has a learning curve and your inventory fills up, oh noes, but translated into X-BOX Live speak: "OMG TEH GAME SI BROHKEN WAREZ HALO!". I can't say the same about ME2 which really is stunted in my opinion, and I unfortunately can't seem to recommend ME1 enough.

NightCrawler said:
The gameplay is wearing on me. There's a great disparity between the unchallenging and repetitive action scenes and the story parts (and i won't even talk about mining which is one obvious problem). The action scenarios and backdrops really need to be more varied if they want to make the game compelling to play, and not just a burden to go through until the next cutscene.
That's why i'll just watch ME1 - the movie - on youtube.
Looking back, i was persuaded by the numerous reviews saying ME2 was superior in every way. I probably missed on a better story/experience. It's a shame, but i don't have the endurance to play more than one of these games.

You're making my head hurt. I couldn't agree more with your assessment of ME2's gameplay, but in saying what needed fixing you basically described the difference between it and Mass Effect, which is what makes the gameplay in the original better in my opinion. Now, if only you'd try it for yourself; I recommend waiting a while to recharge or until you've mostly forgotten ME2 (shouldn't take long, but hell, wait a year if need be) and then give the first one a try before completely spoiling yourself for the experience on youtube, which I guarantee will suck ass.

Grrr, maybe it's about time I post MY review of Mass Effect 2... :femto:

Aphasia

Aazealh said:
What I meant is that if you paid a minimum of attention in ME2 you already how ME1 ends, what its main plot and big mysteries are, etc. The game's main drive being its story, the experience is obligatorily lessened. But I don't mean to discourage you from trying it out, far from it. It's an amazing game.

Yeah, unfortunately I know the story, to an extent. At least I know the blank file version of it. If what you guys say is true, or if the first ending had as many choices as the second, it will be unique in that regard. It would be worth it to play through the first even if I'm aware of certain events (Though I have no real bearing on their meaning, since most of the choices were made for me) Just to see how the second pans out with a save file to transfer over.

I had the unfortunate experience of having to answer a series of mini essays to make up for what I missed. Most of which I skipped because I had no idea what they were talking about. So I'm certainly not going into it expecting to experience the story as a virgin. At least ME3 will make some amount of sense.

To be honest I enjoyed the loyalty missions more than the main mission in ME2. They had more character and personality. It was just fun to learn more about the characters. As long as there's more of that in ME1 I'll be happy, soiled and dirty as I am. :griffnotevil:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Got my PS3 copy today, and I am happy with the results. Here are my impressions so far:

The whole ME3 engine ordeal with this version brings a a smoother feeling compared to the Xbox 360 version, however as mentioned by Walter, I will be expecting more for the next installment. Just a little plus for the picky crowd like me. Visuals are a SLIGHT of improvement. Skin tones look more in detail and movements are decent. There are some cut scenes where images lag, and I have encountered some sound lag. But nothing drastic. As far as content, the virtual comic prelude is a much better improvement that what they had in the demo version. Gives you the chance to make the crucial decisions as you did in the actual ME1 game... However, I think all of us who have played will agree that it falls short to the actual gaming experience. They still lacked on the whole Specter story, and perhaps it's not a big thing in the eyes of others... But I always captured that as one of the primary reasons why Shepard's reputation was increased besides all of his achievements previous to the ending of the game... So that's my little complaint about it personally.

A major improvement (and perhaps this was something that was patched in the Xbox Live, but I don't have membership sooo..) was the mineral probing. More accurate, and my personal gratitude was the speed increase they did during the searches. The aiming ability was a major improvement seeing as after a while... well, flat out it just started to become annoying after a while. So there's some time salvaged there. I've also noticed they increased the amounts of minerals in most planets / Meteors. Making it easier to achieve upgrades.

I personally didn't play any of the DLCs, reason number 1 for me to buy this copy. And I am pleased with the results. I've played this game on Xbox 360 many times now. Adding those DLCs and playing through this version for the 1st time added more interest without a doubt. The bad? It's the 1st day, and they already are having issues with the Cerberus Network on the PS3.

Visuals are just a BIT improved. I admit to be a little disappointed that this game came in 720p instead of a 1080p. Nothing to cry about, but like I said... I can be a picky prick sometimes :void:. Overall, I am pleased with it. And I never played the PC version of this game... So I can't really compare one with the other, and I am sure that what Aaz said previously about the difference between PS3 version and PC are either slim, or better. But I figured I recommend this game for those PS3 users that haven't had the chance of playing this game.

PS. I'm really liking the characters from the DLCs. Haven't gotten far in the game yet, but I'm already looking forward to the new members of the cast.

Griffith

One review deserves another! As promised, my review of Mass Effect 2 (because there needs to be at least one negative one on the Internet):

If Mass Effect is a hand-made masterpiece with some rough edges, Mass Effect 2 might be a well-processed sell out. The gameplay is like it was made for people that DIDN'T like Mass Effect instead of the other way around; there was much less variety and their approach to "streamlining" the rough spots was basically slash and burn. In the end it's reduced to being a shooter; you play shooting gallery levels complete with completion screens and victory music, earn achievements, and unlock bonus characters! My question is, at this rate is ME3 just going to be a straight arcade game with light gun support? (spoiler: www.skullknight.net/griffith/met2.jpg) Maybe they should have imported ME2 to the Wii, not the PS3. This basically made me want to go back to the original, except the thing ME2 really does better, the shooting, makes ME1 seem lacking in that regard, lose/lose. On the plus side, I liked the specific hacking and bypassing screens in the game. =)

As for the presentation and story elements, the atmosphere and cinematic quality are still there, if not notably improved, but the plot is a step backwards, or perhaps I should say sideways. I had fundamental problems with the story from the outset that needed to be redeemed in the end and instead the opposite happened:
1.) arbitrarily killing/reviving Shepard in the opening movie to facilitate 2.) the switch to Cerberus, which was done basically at the expense of everything else from the first game instead of enhancing it (the wasted potential of Shepard's reunion with old comrades is well documented), and
it just never payed off on its own merits for me. It all seemed like a regression from epic sci-fi space opera to a pulpy story about bug-eyed alien baddies comin' to git ya, so you gotta come back
from the dead
and shoot 'em up
before they make the FrankenReaper-human-hybridHOLYSHITawesumfanfic
! Did I mention this game was trying to expand its appeal to the lowest common denominator? Still, my biggest problem with Mass Effect 2 is that it leaves off right where it picks up. Behold (ME1 & 2 ENDING SPOILERS, DO NOT WATCH UNLESS YOU'VE BEATEN BOTH):

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/3oUgiTacw2s[/flash]

"Joker, can we start the real new game now?"​

There, if you played ME1 and are mainly concerned with the advancement of the story you can just watch that, skip ME2, and wait for ME3 because 2 didn't advance 1's plot much at all. All that exciting buildup
about uniting behind Shepard against the Reapers in an apocalyptic struggle
? Nope. Maybe next time. Instead we're just going to sidestep that and work our way back to the same place. It's a completely lateral move, and the plot of the game was basically stuff that should have happened between games, it could really be called filler, or the biggest expansion pack ever. Even if it's all supposed to be payed off in ME3, which I'll believe when I see, it doesn't excuse why they didn't just do it in ME2 and make it the game we're hoping ME3 will be. We should be talking about the exciting new developments introduced in ME2 that are going to be payed off in 3, not still waiting on everything from ME1 that was hopefully only put on hold.

Anyway, it's still a superior and rich game with a lot to like, and I'm sure I'll appreciate it a lot more when I replay it with new found perspective while playing all the side quests and DLCs. Though, for my initial experience, while I enjoyed parts of the ride, I can't say I liked it.

NightCrawler

I waited some time before finishing the game. My review: The plot blows. The "suicide mission" was easier than Contra's first level.
I can't believe some of your crew can actually die in this game, i had to read it online to find out.
And that final boss is a shame to videogames (laughable design too).
Oh, and NOTHING HAPPENS! Such an anti-climatic ending. So the only MAJOR choice in this game was to
destroy/keep the collector base?!
I didn't even care! So much that being mostly a paragon player i was oblivious to the fact that handing the
collector base to cerberus
would be a renegade choice. Really?! I dunno if i should praise the game for finally giving me an ambiguous choice or trash it for making me not care about it in the end.

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSWdHY9Ny4

:serpico:

Thanks for adding the spoiler tags. Oops.

Now it's time for the final battle! On ERF!
:troll:

Griffith said:
[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/3oUgiTacw2s[/flash]

Oh man, ahaha, i think if i played the first game i'd be really pissed off!​

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ok so I never played any of the DLC for MA2. Tomorrow I'm considering dishing out the bucks to get everything I can ( I'm going through MA withdrawals) so I guess my question is if someone could explain a little bit about them. From what I understand there are three missions, Overlord, Kasumi and Lair of the Shadow Broker. If I buy all these will I be caught up? Also, since I believe my last save is from after I beat the final mission, can I just load that and continue with the DLC?

Oh and what's this Firewalker stuff? I can't even remember doing it so I'm thinking I never played that. I remember The Normandy Crash Site, I remember Zaeed, but I can't for the life of me remember if I did this Firewalker stuff.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Oburi said:
Ok so I never played any of the DLC for MA2. Tomorrow I'm considering dishing out the bucks to get everything I can ( I'm going through MA withdrawals) so I guess my question is if someone could explain a little bit about them. From what I understand there are three missions, Overlord, Kasumi and Lair of the Shadow Broker. If I buy all these will I be caught up? Also, since I believe my last save is from after I beat the final mission, can I just load that and continue with the DLC?

Oh and what's this Firewalker stuff? I can't even remember doing it so I'm thinking I never played that. I remember The Normandy Crash Site, I remember Zaeed, but I can't for the life of me remember if I did this Firewalker stuff.
I bought the PS3 version to which they include if not all, most of the dlc's. I don't know the order but you can play them after finishing the game. However,I would recommend you start the game WITH the DLC. Kasumi's missions are good. but it's just an addition that focuses on her character. The Firewalker is their new version of what MAKO was in ME1. Which means you find a floating vehicle and explore planets and complete mission with it. I find that one to be better than the original MAKO. Or at least, I had more fun with it. In the end, I believe it brings something that will play a big role in the third installment, but I'm not going to spoil it.

Out of all, the best one is Lair of the Shadow Broker. It ties in a loose end of the story, and fans of ME1 get to rejoice. The benefits of completing will help you while finishing the game. Also, if you're really into the story it will reveal information about most characters in both ME1 and ME2 that are interesting. Brings a lot to the plate for fans. It's my personal favorite add on. Overlord was fun. I expected a bit more from it, but it was a fun.

Overall... These add ons made the game feel more "complete". Doesn't solve all of the complaints that most fans had, but it made it better. Hence why I strongly suggest to start the game once having the DLC's at your disposal. Bioware mentioned there will be one last DLC before ME3 comes out. It's been rumored that this one will tie in Ashley's side of the story. But I wouldn't know.

I was not a huge fan of ME1's gameplay.
ME2 was a lot better to me overall. More likeable characters, dialogue, and gameplay even though the story faulted compared to ME1.

Yes, the story in ME1 was well crafted, but my biggest complaint has been the plain-as day influences (Green Lantern, Farscape, SW, ST, etc etc...) However, in the same language my biggest appraisal is how they streamline all that -for a video game- and more importantly make it enjoyable with a rich cast of characters and dialogue. ME1 felt far too repetitive and I honestly had the hardest time liking anybody in my crew except for Wrex. I only managed to actually care for the game once "shit got real".
ME2 faired slightly better but at the very least had more synergy between characters than ME1 (plus no elevator to hell)

I do get the feeling Griffith had about "dumbing down" a sequel when I finally got to play DA:O ultimate. I honestly have fun with this game (even when the same above applies) and I feel that FFXII style combat is its charm, however...

Looking at DA2, I just see "Dynasty Warriors: Dragon Age edition" and I'm honestly concerned about its direction. ME2 might have gone the gears route, (..which was a good game: Haters incorporated) but the DW route? Ugh I hope I'm being too rash.

Back to ME2..I do wish the writer for ME1 would come back for the finale, but that's not happening.

Oburi

All praise Grail
HOLY SHIT DUDE!
Just finished all the DLC for MA2 and while I enjoyed it all immensely, I can't believe how incredibly amazing Lair Of the Shadow Broker is. Not only for it's great chase scenes and action but also by the end you get such a wealth of info that I can't believe it was not included in the game. Then of course, my proper reunion with Liara, which at first I thought I had fucked up big time because I failed to pull the trigger in time once, then of later Liara mention something about me finding someone else since I had pursued a relationship with Tali, but luckily by the end I convinced her she was the only one for me. It was beautiful, after the scene ended I tried to call her back up to my room but Tali came instead, ugh.

I really hope that since I did all this after I beat the final mission my load for MA3 will take these events into account. I would hate my reunion with Liara go unmentioned.

Also, the dossiers in the shadow broker lair are pretty interesting, though I feel like I'm a little rusty and can't quite remember all the little references. I wish I remembered everything because I'm sure some of that stuff is pretty funny.

Griffith

Oburi said:
« Post erased for untagged spoilers, content has been saved and returned to poster with instructions to tag appropriately and edit/repost here »

Dick move, I know, but there's only so much I can do tagging offending posts myself, and if we're recommending Lair of the Shadow Broker in this thread then we shouldn't be blithely giving away its secrets.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I highly, highly recommend a playthrough of Mass Effect 2 with Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker being completed right before the final mission. Those two DLCs are my favorite ME2 segments. All the more because they really added to my Shepard's character development the way I'd planned him. :ubik:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Just posting here because it seems like I'm entering the final phase of the game
(more like forced into it)

I've been playing this for the first time and MAN what a game. I love Mass Effect so much. I went and downloaded all the available DLC. Overlord was phenomenal.

So all the sudden
while I'm on the shuttle, THE COLLECTORS JUMPED IN OUTTA NOWHERE AND ABDUCTED MY DAMN SHIP!! It was awesome as hell hobbling around as Joker, trying to save the ship. Fast forward a bit, now I'm through the Omega 4 Relay and at the Collector base, with my ship crashed. Hopefully I make it outta here in one piece!
I'll let you know what happens next (as if you already didn't know)!

This game is the best.

EDIT: I beat the game. I did every single thing there is to do in ME2, I believe.

I loved the ending. It was so awesome.
My massive crew just rocking out and surviving.

I got through all the DLC also. I got Kasumi early on, Zaeed too. Overlord was probably one of the highlights of the game for me.

After I beat the main mission, I did Shadow Broker. One of the best parts of that was l
ooking up all the info of the crew members afterwards. It was hilarious.

Top Bottom