Mass Effect 2

P

Pez

I can see that. I was never a big fan of Liara, Kaiden or Ashley to begin with, but in the second game I was just happy that I did not have to deal with them for too long. The new characters for ME2 were much better done, perhaps because we did not see them go through any major changes (though I am still not too fond of the humans).

Garrus and Tali are still my favorites though. I think it is mostly due to nostalgia, since they are the ones I used in my first play through of ME1. Garrus does act kind of silly, but I think that makes him sort of endearing in a strange way :farnese:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Pez said:
I can see that. I was never a big fan or Liara, Kaidan or Ashley to begin with, but in the second game I was just happy that I did not have to deal with them for too long. The new characters for ME2 were much better done, perhaps because we did not see them go through any major changes (though I am still not too fond of the humans).

It's a matter of taste. I liked the new characters but I wouldn't say they were much better (Wrex > Grunt), and personally Liara's my absolute favorite from the series.

P

Pez

Aazealh said:
It's a matter of taste. I liked the new characters but I wouldn't say they were much better (Wrex > Grunt), and personally Liara's my absolute favorite from the series.

That is true. Wrex is awesome. I think at least the humans are better done in ME2, in my own opinion. I like how the female is modeled after her voice actor Yvonne Strahovsky <3

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I finally finished Mass Effect 1... AFTER, finishing Mass Effect 2 (don't ask). I happen to be more interested in what Cerberus has under it's sleeve overall. I somehow got sucked in this game, a little late but I liked the adjustments they did in the second one. No offense, but I'm not a big fan of the Mako nor the Map options from the 1st one.

Pez said:
That is true. Wrex is awesome. I think at least the humans are better done in ME2, in my own opinion. I like how the female is modeled after her voice actor Yvonne Strahovsky <3

I got more attached to Miranda compared to Ashley. And I think most of us agree that Wrex was more... entertaining than Grunt :badbone:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
So I'll just jump in here without reading any prior posts. I just beat ME1 and am gonna start 2 tonight after work haha... I'm glad I get to import my Shepard and just continue his story. I also plan to replayME1 as a renegade Femshep. I am excited! :serpico:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Gobolatula said:
So I'll just jump in here without reading any prior posts. I just beat ME1 and am gonna start 2 tonight after work haha... I'm glad I get to import my Shepard and just continue his story. I also plan to replayME1 as a renegade Femshep. I am excited! :serpico:
Nice. Like I said before, I played the 2nd one before the 1st one. And now that I transfered my version of Shepard,from the first one, there's a lot of details that has changed. Kind of neat!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://masseffect.g33kwatch.com/

Starting Nov. 26, these guys are going to play through Mass Effect 1 and 2, and broadcast their playtime online for charity. You donate and they'll do wacky things. All proceeds benefit Child's Play.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Finished playing the ME2 demo for PS3. I have to say the images are crispier and clearer. Motions run soothly. However, this opening story sequence bothered me a bit. They summarize ME1 in about errr 2 minutes? They barely got some of the deeper stories, and it concerns me how this will affect the story in itself. Also, at the opening sequence they have Liara and not Ashley. I have to wonder what changes will be made story wise overall in this version.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
Finished playing the ME2 demo for PS3. I have to say the images are crispier and clearer.
Apparently the PS3 version of ME2 is running on what's considered the ME3 engine (likely just a cleaned-up ME2 engine) http://www.giantbomb.com/news/mass-effect-2-ps3-will-use-mass-effect-3s-engine/2796/

"One of the first things you're going to see is improved graphics," producer Jesse Houston said on the podcast (via Eurogamer). "We actually created the engine for Mass Effect 3 and used that to make Mass Effect 2 PS3. So we took the content, the story and all of the other assets that made up Mass Effect 2 and we put it into the Mass Effect 3 engine," he said.

Also in Mass Effect news: http://store.steampowered.com/sale/holiday2010_masseffect

Mass Effect 1 and 2 are $10 each on Steam today.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Apparently the PS3 version of ME2 is running on what's considered the ME3 engine (likely just a cleaned-up ME2 engine) http://www.giantbomb.com/news/mass-effect-2-ps3-will-use-mass-effect-3s-engine/2796/

"One of the first things you're going to see is improved graphics," producer Jesse Houston said on the podcast (via Eurogamer). "We actually created the engine for Mass Effect 3 and used that to make Mass Effect 2 PS3. So we took the content, the story and all of the other assets that made up Mass Effect 2 and we put it into the Mass Effect 3 engine," he said.

From what digital foundry says, it's actually a mixed bag:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-masseffect2-demo-analysis?page=1

Nothing X360 owners should be envious of, much less PC players.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Ok, played the demo, was convinced. Will be my first single player experience since i completed gears of war 2 when it came out (gtaIV and arkham asylum i left halfway). I have almost no patience these days for long single player games, that's why i only play tf2, mw2 and l4d from time to time. But the cinematic quality of this game had me craving for more. I just hope i don't get lost in tedious tasks like with other rpgs.

My Wii is getting really dusty.

I miss offline co-op gaming. Last decent experience i got was with R6 Vegas 2.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Ok, played the demo, was convinced. Will be my first single player experience since i completed gears of war 2 when it came out (gtaIV and arkham asylum i left halfway). I have almost no patience these days for long single player games, that's why i only play tf2, mw2 and l4d from time to time. But the cinematic quality of this game had me craving for more. I just hope i don't get lost in tedious tasks like with other rpgs.
There aren't many tedious tasks in ME2. Have you played the prerequisite ME1 though?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Play ME1 first, you can easily skip any side quests and just do the plot, which is where it really shines. It's not long at all if you do it that way, either.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Sup,

Been playing ME2 lately (about 20 hours in, level...16 or something) per the recommendation of...just about everyone on this forum. Really enjoying it so far. There's a dumb amount of stuff to do. The galaxy is a ton of fun to explore.

Miranda's a bitch. :ganishka: I know Jack is the one being portrayed as this hardcore uptight bitch, but Miranda just Irks me. Something about her personality. She just got in a fight with Jack and I sent her packing. :guts:
But that's what's cool about this game, too...it's neat that I actually care about the characters (or dislike them). Not many games make you feel strongly about the cast.

I played Dragon Age, but Mass Effect is kind of blowing it out of the water for me. Maybe it's the aesthetic. I've become much more engrossed in Mass Effects story than I did in Dragon Age.

Aphasia said:
I played Dragon Age, but Mass Effect is kind of blowing it out of the water for me. Maybe it's the aesthetic. I've become much more engrossed in Mass Effects story than I did in Dragon Age.

It's probably the writing, the music, the voice acting, the graphics, the action...

Aphasia

Eluvei said:
It's probably the writing, the music, the voice acting, the graphics, the action...

Hahah brutal. :beast:

Edit: This game is a blast! I'm afraid to continue on the main quest line. Will I be able to go back and do all the intriguing little side quests and missions...after I "beat" the game? Does it just end or allow you to keep exploring?

I just beat Shadow Broker (which was awesome) anybody played this DLC?

The mission itself is a lot of fun and quite varied. Storming the ship was incredible. Excellent design throughout. The whole secondary ship/hub thing you receive afterward is icing on the cake. It's fun to read up on your staff and pry into their privacy. :SK: Some of their info is really funny. For instance, Grunt had a history of searching

Wrex...Normandy

Tyrannosaurus Rex

Dinosaurs..

and fun stuff like that. I love those little details.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Aphasia said:
Miranda's a bitch. :ganishka: I know Jack is the one being portrayed as this hardcore uptight bitch, but Miranda just Irks me. Something about her personality.

I think it's the teeth. Definitely the teeth. :iva:

NightCrawler

ProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbeProbe & collect team members.

Nevertheless i'm enjoying it so far. It's not overwhelming which is nice.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
It's not overwhelming which is nice.

It's definitely underwhelming compared to ME1, which is not only superior but faster if you please (13 hours on my first play through, didn't intend to rush, was compelled by the story). Play that instead, before its too late.

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
It's definitely underwhelming compared to ME1, which is not only superior but faster if you please (13 hours on my first play through, didn't intend to rush, was compelled by the story). Play that instead, before its too late.

Really? Is it superior to ME2? Storywise? I remember i read it had gameplay issues, because that's what made me opt for the sequel.
ME2 is polished, that's the best compliment i can say about it after 15h (i'm on disc 2), but the way the story progresses isn't smooth and the contrivances remind me constantly that i'm playing a game. The choices made don't afect the main storyline, just your character, and it's there just to give you the illusion of "rpg!1! I haz choice!!". The voice acting and dialogue are great though.
Sandbox games and other rpgs are just all over the place, at least with ME2 everything is linear and gripping enough to keep me going.
Unfortunately it's just another game that most likely won't create any emotional impact within me, something lacking in my gaming experiences since Shenmue 2 (and to a lesser extent Silent Hill 2).

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
Yes. And your ME2 experience definitely suffers from the fact you haven't played ME1.
I vouch for that statement. I HATED ME1 due to it's Mako missions and such. You would feel the negative side of ME1(game mechanics), however... It really made a huge difference afterwards. I felt the need of re-playing it again and it was well worth the try. And you would get a better feel for the characters and the aftermath in ME2. Some key points change just for have played the 1st one. Sooo, suck it up and play it =p

Aphasia

NightCrawler said:
Really? Is it superior to ME2? Storywise? I remember i read it had gameplay issues, because that's what made me opt for the sequel.
ME2 is polished, that's the best compliment i can say about it after 15h (i'm on disc 2), but the way the story progresses isn't smooth and the contrivances remind me constantly that i'm playing a game. The choices made don't afect the main storyline, just your character, and it's there just to give you the illusion of "rpg!1! I haz choice!!". The voice acting and dialogue are great though.
Sandbox games and other rpgs are just all over the place, at least with ME2 everything is linear and gripping enough to keep me going.
Unfortunately it's just another game that most likely won't create any emotional impact within me, something lacking in my gaming experiences since Shenmue 2 (and to a lesser extent Silent Hill 2).

Really? Well, it might be because you're not far enough in. I thought they did a great job with making sure your choices had real consequences. I'm in the same boat with you, started with the sequel because I heard the gameplay of the first was jank. But now I want to play the first one so I can import my save all the way through to 3.

ME2 Spoilers ahoy:
I'm curious about your plans for importing into ME3...Did anybody die on your first run-through? Are you going to replay to change the outcome or stick with the way things happened? Do you have two saves you're going to import? (rengade/paragon?) I'm amazed by all the different outcomes the game can have, it's really cool. I had a few team-mates die, and some of the crew...I think because I took too long. I think I'll start by going through the first game.

Top Bottom