Casca Hand/Sharpy Renditions

Well I use sharpies to recreate ink drawings. but recreations none the less.

Casca is my favorite character in Berserk. As of recent I'm pretty pumped up because I'm in process of buying the Berserk Manga, and I'm kinda rediscovering it, because scans just don't hold up. Also, after watching the remastered anime I decided to do a large series of art with Casca as the focus. Of course all "works" done here are attempts. I don't ever expect to exactly reproduce a original picture, I only wish to take "composition" and filter it through my mind/style and back on paper. Of course quality will be lost in doing so. Feel free to comment, if any thing I just want to give people pictures to look at. :serpico:

This one didn't turn out bad. Good start IMO.

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

X

Xem

Re: "Gutting" Casca Artistically

Lookin' good so far! I love Casca too. =) Her chin seems a tad small and the ears looks a bit weird but that could just be because of your art style. The armor's going be the hardest part, it's so intricate it blows my mind. Good luck and I look forward to seeing more! =)

A

avidwriter

Might be hard to fix but her neck seems a tad long. Also as mentioned the chin/jawline seems off.

Otherwise good work.

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Your Casca drawing seems to be coming along nicely! I personally like the tiny chin and the elongated neck, since it shows a style independent of Miura's while also maintaining those essentially Casca-esque elements (wacky eyebrows, check! :troll:).

If you're looking to develop a more anatomically correct version, of course, the only thing I can recommend is practice. The same goes with perfecting her clothing and armor. Specifically, try not to overdo it on the shading. The bare lines for her cloak actually look better to me than the shaded version below it. But keep working at it, I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll draw next. :guts:

Ah, I rushed this one unfortunitely. Didn't turn out the way I wanted. I think down the road I will add on to the amor to give it work more fill. Maybe add a face montage below the work. Either way I'm getting the practice in. Just another work to look at real quick. :guts:

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

X

Xem

Still lookin' good! Like it a lot Death, but there seems to be some symmetry problems. If I can give a word of advice from one artist to another, I've found a good technique when it comes to drawing/inking. Before you go to ink in your drawing, hold it up in a mirror. It sounds silly, but since most artists (or maybe it's me), seem to draw from a certain angle (your heads close to the paper and tilted), the symmetry gets skewed. Holding it in front a mirror does a really good job of revealing those problems so that you can fix them.

I like your style a lot, it sorta reminds me of the Aeon Flux cartoon. Except it's Casca. =)

Death May Die said:
Hey man, although I'm going to post some more art here in a moment, I will definitely take your advice on future works. So just hold it up to mirror? Or Hold the mirror in center of the face, to achieve a mirror image of one side of the face. Which is a great idea for full on front faces. Thanks my friend.

No problem! =) I literally go into the bathroom with the picture pointed at the mirror and look at it in the mirror. The first time I did it I went from thinking I was pretty good to realizing I had no idea what I was doing. =P That's obviously not the case for you, but I still think it'd help a lot. Just make sure you're standing pretty close to the mirror, and switch back and forth from looking directly at your drawing and then looking at it in the mirror. The error's will reveal themselves pretty quickly.

Hey man, although I'm going to post some more art here in a moment, I will definitely take your advice on future works. So just hold it up to mirror? Or Hold the mirror in center of the face, to achieve a mirror image of one side of the face. Which is a great idea for full on front faces. Thanks my friend.

UPDATE

I will take your advice from here on out, this work I really liked the way it turned out. I clocked this one in at 45-60 minutes. FYI, I was trained to work fast, I took a 2 year commercial art/tattooing course. So I'm used to working fast, and I am of course trying to stop and smell the roses, but in this case, I'm my own worst enemy because fine art takes time. But again about this work, I worked fast on it, and I wish the eyes would be better, but working at a incline can work against you sometimes. To me its a respectable attempt.

[
PICT0022.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

UPDATE

I don't like photoshoping original works, but what the heck. I just fix the nose is all.

l_c7ab1ff0c13f41b99d62e4c2eb4be026.jpg

UPDATE

This one turned out okay. I did it pretty late, kinda rushed. But really I'm just trying to get in habit of drawing again. I plan on posting a lot of new works through out the weekend. Something to look at real quick. :daiba:

PICT0027.jpg

PICT0028.jpg

PICT0029.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

I think the third one is your best so far. Really nice, but the nose and mouth are a bit off. I do think you're improving as you go though!

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity

Deci said:
Still lookin' good! Like it a lot Death, but there seems to be some symmetry problems. If I can give a word of advice from one artist to another, I've found a good technique when it comes to drawing/inking. Before you go to ink in your drawing, hold it up in a mirror. It sounds silly, but since most artists (or maybe it's me), seem to draw from a certain angle (your heads close to the paper and tilted), the symmetry gets skewed. Holding it in front a mirror does a really good job of revealing those problems so that you can fix them.

Thats a good piece of advice Deci. I remember the first time I noticed this problem I was using photoshop and did a horizontal flip of my image, and suddenly what I thought had looked fine looked way off all the sudden.

@Death May Die

These are good pieces, and I can see improvement going from one to the next as you get more into the swing of it.

Another quick one. Got a little too dark on the nose imo, I'm not done with it, I'll post the final picture up later on. I will probably get a entire other picture up tonight too.

PICT0031.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

Quick late night showing.

PICT0035.jpg

PICT0036.jpg

X

Xem

Oh nice work! I love the one with Casca's head tilted slightly upwards and with a satisfied look on her face. Confident Casca. :casca:

My only critique, albeit a small one, is the shading. Trying to define a light source can be pretty tricky, especially when all you're doing is inking. Keep it up, man.

Re: Casca's Daily Ink'ings

Yes I argee with the light source, these are all pretty quickly done, I'm not striving towards profection. However the way I work is volume to volume. Like I've already done Volume 5 and now I'm no Volume 6. I pick out the pictures I want to do, and depending on their size I will determine how much work I want to throw out them. There are some ones coming up that I'm going to be working much harder on, but really I'm just trying to get back into drawing, and really so far I have once again been really enjoying myself working on Casca. I will work on light sourcing and its hard to do with a big lamp a foot from the pad and inches from you head. lol, I will work on it.

This one was a quick work, and the digital cam messed up on me for some reason. I will probably have one more after this one up tonight. (Strangely I kinda like the picture (camera) lines with it, something different.)

PICT0047.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

PICT0049.jpg

Aw darn it all, cam messed up again. I think I fixed it to make sure it wouldn't happen again, I forgot to test it out before taking the shots. A little too late in this pieces case. About this picture, there were a lot of small frames of Casca I wanted to do and this was just kinda a attempt at them, nothing great really, errors all over the place. I was thinking of not even posting them, but I put the time into them and what the heck. I messed up the helmet and stuff, so I just kinda inverted it some what, it didn't turn out that great, but what you going to do? lol. :ganishka:

PICT0050.jpg

PICT0051.jpg

PICT0052.jpg

Ugh :schierke:

By far my worst, I almost scrapped it. I really like the Frame in the Manga, and I will attempt it again sometime in the future. I think I'm going to take a little break. Doing such works at a fast pace formed a little of a bad habit so I'm going to take a day or two off, and slow my pace of work down by doing such. Its been a busy weekend, so that kinda some what caused the rush of work.

Again, its nothing great, I had better preschool work. Lesson learned! :puck:

PICT0054.jpg

PICT0055.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

You know, I ended up liking this one. Not the best, but I like it. :casca:

PICT0058.jpg

PICT0059.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0061.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Her nose is wrong but the rest is pretty good. I have to say though that I prefer the second and third pictures to the ones after it. I think you overdid the shading.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Yeah, you're overdoing the shading quite a bit. Ease up on it a little and I think your work will look a lot more polished. Keep 'em coming! :serpico:

Yeah, I know and I agree. But looking at my style, I think its what I prefer. That last work is a good example of what I think I might try for in the future. What I mean by that is I kinda prefer a darker take, thats how I claim the work. But I am also aware of the forums standards. So since I am already photographing in stages, I will first work the art in the direction truer to the manga. At that point I will document a photo, and from there I will decide where I want to take the shading.

That way, I got a photo more true to the manga, and yet I'm left with the option to "mess up"....I mean claim the work to my own taste/style, because honestly when it comes down to it, I like to experiment sometimes. Sometimes I really like it, and believe me sometimes I don't. But I can't regret had wanting to, its art.

So hopefully taking pictures (with perfection in mind first) of the work first, sounds like a good idea to everyone. That way it still leaves me the choice to mess with it after it is completed.

The and photo here, I tried to target the orginal. Its not exact of course, but I like it. But I moved on to darken it. It was kinda hard to see some of the features, the organal panel is hard to make out like detail I.E. Casca's mouth and eye lashes.

But about the panel in general, it has a Volume 1-3 style to it. In the Manga you can kinda see Miura changed up the character layout and tweaked with small details. (Size, Shape, and Features.) Looking at this panel ( in the manga), I wonder if he had created it long before the volume it self, almost like concept art. To me the orginal panel (in the manga itself) has traits of Miura's very early berserk style, making me wonder if it was made long before it was published.

Any how here is my attempt in progression.

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0066.jpg

PICT0067.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

This one, I gave up on. This was NOT the final result. I thought the head was up too high. And of course I intensely, even to my standard over shaded. I ended up ripping it out lol. But I really like the orginal and I think I will come back to do again sometime, if I don't immediately already. Its not horrible, I like the stages up to the final stage of the work, so I thought I would post those. (I didn't post the end result.)

PICT0071.jpg

PICT0072.jpg

PICT0073.jpg

PICT0074.jpg

PICT0076.jpg

PICT0080.jpg

PICT0082.jpg

Man you're really churning these out! :ganishka:

I think you're getting better though. I especially liked the one 4 pictures back (Nude Casca unconscious), though I'm with the others that the shading just seems completely unnecessary and distracts from some decent drawings.

But if you're just doing them for yourself as you stated, then more power to you I guess.

PICT0087.JPG

PICT0088.JPG

PICT0090.JPG

This was a quick fun one. I chose it because it DIDN'T really involve a lot of shading. To make up for that, I liked that it had the "action" lines going on. Only until finishing it, did I realize Guts wasn't entirely finished. So I feel silly, but just another thing to look at. :serpico: Of course more to come. :casca:

PICT0091.jpg

PICT0093.jpg

PICT0095.jpg

Love your work, especially the one of Caska crying; that's my favourite so far :ganishka:

Just wondering, how fast does the sharpie dry as your doing your drawings? I know if I were doing them I'd end up with black pen all over my hands! XD

Have you ever thought of drawing post eclipse caska? or are you going to stick drawing fiery short haired caska? ^_^

:serpico: Why, thank you for the comments.

I am left handed, the way I draw is right to left...towards my left hand. That way while either sketching or shading I don't really get lead or smear the sharpie. However, I do often have to go over and do touch ups. To tell you the truth, the sharpie (although I go pretty fast) drys very well IMO. I don't go so fast that I'm touching wet sharpie marks. I still have to erase the entire board once the sharpie is applied, because I do rest my hand on the paper, causing oils appear, erasers will take that off, and I have to erase the pencil lead aways, so it all works out.

Yes, I will do post Eclipse Casca, however, I'm pretty much going volume to volume picking works of my liking. I started with Volume 5. I only chose a few, but I actually plan to possibly dive backwards oppose to forwards at the moment. So, I can cover any works I may liked in volume 4. Slowly but surely I'm working through the volumes. Trust me, I hope there is lots to come, I already marked a few I want to do in Volume, I think its around 14 works.

Not to rant, I use of course I sketch pen. I also use a "tech pen" (known to me.) I use the tiny gauge sharpies, I use the standard size sharpies, and I use two type of large almost oversized sharpies when needed.

Personally I can't wait to get to the later volumes, with some of silly bits Casca gets into. But also I want to do some works of the serious situations shes comes across. I haven't decided if I will be doing any of the rape panels. Its something I've been dreading over, I imagine I would unless the SK.net had else to say. Of course it wouldn't be every bit of it.

EDIT:

PICT0096.jpg

PICT0098.jpg

PICT0102.jpg

PICT0103.jpg

PICT0127.JPG

PICT0130.JPG

PICT0132.JPG

PICT0134.JPG

PICT0136.JPG

PICT0138.JPG

PICT0140.JPG

PICT0142.JPG

PICT0144.JPG

PICT0147.JPG

Nice pics love the one of Casca crying the only thing i have to say is cut back a little on the shading other than that i love all your drawings :casca:

Hey there thats pretty good but the hair could have been a bit longer but it still looks good to me, cant wait for the Slan one's :beast:

A bit dark on the last one I know, I had messed up the face and had to shade a bit more than I wanted. Next up is some younger Casca, so that will be a good change for a few works.

PICT0105.JPG

PICT0107.JPG

PICT0109.JPG

PICT0117.JPG

I thought this one turned out pretty good. I hope you guys kinda like it. I got a few more I'm gonna do. There is talks of doing some works of Slan later on down the line. :slan:

PICT0118.JPG

PICT0120.JPG

PICT0122.JPG

PICT0126.JPG

Ah, not the greatest. But I'm working on it. I can tell you one thing. The Amour is tricky.

l_a55b0af2b9d2499eab528d6d9be4e52c.jpg

l_83fccd2c88cd46099777cb8deef26e67.jpg

l_7677bd4ed2454f27a3e55784192e6d32.jpg

l_597f0551fcd04f56a5f3cd06bd6a76b1.jpg

l_68a63adbd1724818a078a2787936be86.jpg

Very good stuff as usual, they eye kinda looks off from the other one unless you made it that way :slan: I really like the shading you've done on this one

Thanks again. Yeah, the eyes were kinda hard to balance. I'm doing one more that I'm going to work super hard on. I'm hoping its my best yet, so I'm going to take my time.

I had to edit some of my previous post, so some of the works are out of order. Not that it matters really, just a few response comments are out of place. No big problem.

I'm trying to master the Amour at the moment. I first had trouble putting together what I was actually seeing. I wasn't thinking too far out of the box, like when the amour would ride up under her cape or go around her body to where you couldn't see it. But now I've worked and seen the amour enough to give it a real good shot. I'm using a few reference panels and on top of that. Also I will be working with a simple angle, so the amour won't have a weird perspective thats hard to put on paper. I hope it goes well. Hopefully it will be up Sunday.

Top Bottom