Painting with water

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
This thread, originally the Inn's Gallery by Th3Branded0ne (see next post), has been created, or recreated, for a two purposes; first, to officially announce the brand new Vagabond Inn drawing board!

That's right, now there's a place to virtually draw with water, or just the water tool, anytime you please. Walter just implemented it tonight so it's still a work in progress, but also did us the honor of making the first entry, so I think we're off to a great start. Anyway, check it out, register, and draw away!

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/vagadraw/index.php​

If you're still here, the main purpose of this thread is to create a Vagabond section equivalent to the Creation Station, for people to showcase their artistic talent as it relates to Vagabond, Musashi, eastern culture, or anything really if you feel like putting it here. Drawings, paintings, sculptures, carvings, photoshops, 3D models, recolors, music, whatever you can think of, anything goes! I'm even thinking of showcasing some artwork by Inoue himself, just to get it out there. As a matter of fact, what better way to begin than with a piece by the master himself:

inoueart.jpg

I picked this one first because I think it's a nice blend of his of watercolor painting and beautiful ink work, a contrast highlighted in his two Vagabond artbooks, and companion pieces, Water and Sumi, with each focusing on one of these distinctive styles. You can see more of the artbooks here, and learn more about them here.

Now, since nobody should have to follow that up short of Kentarou Miura, I'll go ahead and bite the bullet with the first fan submission, an appropriately humble recolor of Musashi from volume 22, episode 191:

morningmusashisml.jpg

Musashi, fittingly, focusing on his "art."​

Just some basic photoshop filter effects and sepia tone, oldschool SK.net recolor style.

Anyway, I hope you'll feel inspired by Inoue's artwork to create and contribute something of your own, or at least comment on the works others submit with praise or constructive feedback when appropriate.

Thank you, and looking forward to what we can do!

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Inn's Gallery

I thought about this topic so anybody can post art related to Inoue's mangas If it's better in the creation station, would Griff or Walter move it there please.

Well since I"m making keychains most of the time right now. It's just about time I make one for Vagabond as well. Here's the first one. I am also going to try to do some for Slam Dunk and Real later.

Griffith

Re: Inn's Gallery

Lookin' good!

Great thread, and it's fine in here, I've been meaning to have Vagabond-specific art thread for the Inn (was going to call it "Drawing With Water" =), I just didn't have anything to start it with, so this is perfect. Mind if I add a Vagabond Inn art thread parenthetical to the title?

To add some instant variety and help set the mood, here are some previously posted Vagabond material from other members around the board, starting with a few recolors by Proj and CnC, as well as a tutorial:

SPOILER ALERT! Don't click the url below unless you've read volume 22 and beyond!
CnC said:
http://www.mattbrowning.com/berserk/tutorial/Vagabond%20Tutorial/Vagabond%20Tutorial_files/Vagabond_final_1.jpg​
If you have though, check out CnC's awesome photoshop tutorial breaking down the coloring of this image.

Proj2501 said:

Proj2501 said:

3D models from asic:
asic said:

asic said:

asic said:

Some visual comedy from Uriel:
Uriel said:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

宮本 グリフィス said:
Lookin' good!

Great thread, and it's fine in here, I've been meaning to have Vagabond-specific art thread for the Inn (was going to call it "Drawing With Water" =), I just didn't have anything to start it with, so this is perfect. Mind if I add a Vagabond Inn art thread parenthetical to the title?

Go ahead you can add the parenthesis. I'll be adding more as I buy more wood. In the meantime, just this one has been finished.

Griffith

Ooh, very cool. Hmmm, maybe we should write Inoue a letter now and we can send him one of those as his "book mark." =)

And to continue the grand opening, and just get these out of the way, I'll trickle out my previously posted Vagabond tributes:

oneyearsmall.jpg

One Year, which is what it says in the lower left corner there, is the fanciful idea of Musashi and Guts meeting and testing their skill against each other during their respective one year pilgrimage of the sword; which means during Guts' personal journey after he left the Hawks, and Musashi's musha shugyō between battles with Yoshioka Denshichiro.​

Griffith

グリフィス said:
Looking good, branching out into other Inoue works, soon you'll have the whole set. =)

Here are the Gutsfield strips featuring Musashi:

gutsfield018.gif

gutsfield019.gif

gutsfield020.gif

gutsfield021.gif

gutsfield022.gif

gutsfield023.gif

gutsfield024.gif

gutsfield025.gif

gutsfield026.gif

gutsfield027.jpg

gutsfield028bloody!.gif

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

slan69 said:
I must say you make some pretty cool key chains Th3BrandedOne

Thank you Slan. Like I said before on my section in the "Creation Station", these keychains can be yours if anybody wants any of them. I am just making them for practice on my woodworking and also some are for me. So just send me a PM with your address and it'll be on its way to you.

Alright here's another one I'm working on.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

宮本 グリフィス said:
Branded, I have two words for you: eBay business. :guts:

I gave it a thought, but I'm not business oriented. I"ll just give them away for now, When I get good to do more than just this I might reconsider.

_______________________________________________UPDATE

Shohoku keychain finished! New one started(3rd picture)

We could not forget about the Yagyu

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

What is it I'm seeing...? Is that the Yagyu symbol? I don't recall seeing it in the manga. Did I miss it?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Walter said:
What is it I'm seeing...? Is that the Yagyu symbol? I don't recall seeing it in the manga. Did I miss it?

It's in volume 11, when Otsu and Jotaro arrive in a lodge and find out the Miyamoto just beat those ronin. They try to capture them, after Jotaro opens his mouth, after Otsu does a self-defense move on one guy and then draws the dagger, just so the men see that it has the Yagyu family crest in it.
OK here's a pic to refresh your memory Walter. :ganishka:

bamboohats.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Ohhh hahaha now I remember. How could I forget... Cool stuff.

Griffith

Yeah, that's my favorite so far Branded, very cool!

A little Vagabond, and Weezer, inspired visual art exchange between me and CnC from the underutilized How do you listen to Vagabond? thread.

グリフィス said:

CnC said:
Coincidentally, look what I found at my local record store today!

vaga_griff.jpg

グリフィス said:
CnC said:
Coincidentally, look what I found at my local record store today!

vaga_griffbloody.jpg

That's gruesome, must be metal. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Floor looks great! There's a keychain there too. I like it as well!

Is it possible for you to get closer to the object when you take these photos?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Walter said:
Is it possible for you to get closer to the object when you take these photos?

OK, let's try it one more time.

And another one I'm just finished putting the blue today. Is not finished yet, and since I"m taking a 3 day break from work(Where all the tools and paints are) I might be finished by saturday.

Griffith

Anything new in the works?

I don't want to have to post this stuff...

First, SPOILER ALERT! Volume 27+ only: if you're safe, click here.

And...

pirate.jpg

=)​

Re: Drawing with Water

I hesitated about sharing this but what the hell: When I first read this thread's title I read "Drawing with Walter". True story. :farnese:

Griffith

Re: Drawing with Water

Here's some strange recolors/wallpapers I did a loooong time ago using different primary colors to represent the characters of Musashi, Kojiro, and Denshichiro. Heh, maybe I was inspired by Andy Warhol or something? Anyway, feel free to interpret them, I'm curious to see what people see or some up with, or if your BS is better than mine. I'll share my intended meanings behind each and their relationships below.

Click each to enlarge.

Musashi and Kojiro have an obvious fire/water or hot/cold thing going on, the red in both their images represents blood, in Musashi's case the blood pumping inside him, and the yellow in his background represents the sun, nature, his travels around the countryside, basically the external world as well as his ambition "invincible under the sun", so basically his entire legend. As I mentioned before the deep blue for Kojiro represents water and his affinity for it, but also contrasts his warm and easygoing appearance with the fact that there's cold blooded killer behind it, and the red surrounding him represents that killing. Den's is the most straight forward, the surrounding blue representing a crushing external sadness all around him and the yellow his own internal weakness, which comes full circle to the yellow that's all outside Musashi, which in no way penetrates him. As for their visual relationship, you'll notice the red of Musashi's body flows into the red of Kojiro's background and so on for the blue of Kojiro into Den's background, which again brings us full circle with yellow.

m said:
I hesitated about sharing this but what the hell: When I first read this thread's title I read "Drawing with Walter". True story. :farnese:

Haha, considering I'm introducing Walter's drawing board here, that's not a bad thing! Though it is true, I see "drawing with walter" or think Walter's the last to have posted in here every time I see the thread on the SK.net main board. BTW, with this as the first reply, I'm now definitely going to merge this thread with the Inn's Gallery. =)

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Re: PORTAL: Drawing with Water

Great Idea; Vagabond needs its own place. Really digging the name, I have to say it's cooler than creation station. No offense. :griffnotevil:

Top Bottom