Movies you've recently watched

animalkingdom.jpg

Animal Kingdom - starts off a little slow with a melancholic opening sequence, you're made to witness a world of survival of the fittest within the Australian thieving community, equipped with really good performances by Pierce, Weaver, Frecheville. I love the movie's score a lot, can't recommend it enough.

EDIT:

conviction_movie_poster-hilary_swank-sam_rockwell-minnie_driver-melissa_leo-203x300.jpg

Conviction - Swank and Rockwell did good on this one, the movie tanked at the box office, but it wasn't that bad.

EDIT 2:

dvd-welcome-to-the-rileys1.jpg

Welcome To The Rileys - Surprised it was rated this high, I beg to differ.

the-thing-movie-poster.jpg

Rewatched The Thing ... never gets old, nice and chilly how it's supposed to be.

awomanagunandanoodleshoo.jpg

A Woman A Gun And A Noodle Shop seemed interested because it's Zhang's movie, but what a downer, seriously. I thought it'd be fun if the
cooks who showed super-skills in the kitchen would also have good fighting skill ... but they turned out to be regular joes ...
. Damn disappointing.

EDIT 3:

alex-pettyfer-dianna-agron-i-am-number-four-trailer.jpg

I Am Number Four - Oh god, why why why *curses himself* ... I Am "I Wish I Didn't See This In A Theater" Thinking Person Number 48220931. The start was OK, and the last 15 minutes were good. Everything in between was crabby, in fact this could've been a 20-25 minute movie, but wait, that babe he's with has a certain charm to her, enough to make me wanna Gooowwgle her, and the Aussie chick's a badass.

following_dvd.jpg

Following - I admit I missed out on seeing this one till this evening. I was at a friends place last night and while they were looking for a movie to watch on Netflix we bumped into this. They went on to play The Pledge, and I grabbed the movie this afternoon to do the honors. Not too bad after all, well thought out and a cool little twist in the end made it worthwhile.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
My girlfriend and I watched The Social Network over the weekend. As a film, it was great. As an accurate portrayal of Zuckerberg, his life and the creation of Facebook...not so much. It's never a good sign when the screenwriter acknowledges he's more an expert in storytelling than the truth. Much like A Beautiful Mind, this film impressed me technically but disappointed me biographically.

P.S. - The soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross was awesome! At times it didn't feel like it really fit the movie, but it still kicked ass.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Saw Black Swan and The King's Speech yesterday, and didn't even realize the Oscar's were on last night. King's Speech was probably winning best picture as I was discussing why it wasn't. Oh well, sounds like nobody else knew the Oscars were on either, and that was probably for the best.

Here's the real best picture of the year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z14_-En-JTk

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I didn't watch the Oscars last night, either. I just went to Rotten Tomatoes this morning to see the winners. I think that's how I'm gonna play it from now on. It was a much more enjoyable experience than having to watch a Hollywood circle jerk set to bad comedy and clips from movies I've already seen.

I haven't seen The King's Speech yet, but it's next on my list. Did you enjoy it, despite not thinking it should have won Best Picture? In other words, is it at least worth seeing?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the King's Speech. Was good. Best Movie Of The Year material? Not unless you're a stuffy, sentimental Brit. I thought Geoffrey Rush stole the show, but of course, he didn't take home the Oscar for best supporting actor. That's too bad, though I'm certainly not going to stand up and complain about Christian Bale getting it instead.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I love Geoffrey Rush and have ever since I saw him in the remake of House on Haunted Hill (terrible movie, great performance as Vincent Price). I'm glad to see Bale get an Oscar for his role in The Fighter. I thought he was terrific in it.

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
Did you enjoy it, despite not thinking it should have won Best Picture? In other words, is it at least worth seeing?

Yeah, what Walter said. I had high expectations but found that it dragged at times and never really reached the heights it could have. The most visceral and moving moment was a scene with George VI yelling that was pretty stock, and they used it in the ad. I feel like it didn't really get to the bottom of anything, and for a historical account a lot of it didn't make sense and could have been organized better (This guy won best director? He wasn't even the best director nominated).

George VI didn't show a whole lot of obvious personal or physical progress with his condition, and considering he could barely get a sentence into his speech when practicing just before, it didn't make sense he could suddenly get through like never before, and then of course he and Rush never practiced like that either, even in the scene above where they were supposedly practicing. Oh yeah, and if the guy can perfectly read Shakespeare as long as he can't hear himself, why not just do the headphones trick when he does his radio addresses? I mean, were they this stupid in real life to risk an international incident, or just for the drama of the movie?

This is another movie that makes me want to start doing one sentence reviews where I just point out the plot's critical failure, perfect for twitter.

King's Speech: Why didn't King George VI just use the headphones trick for all his radio addresses?
Inception: Why didn't Cobb just fly his kids to France with their grandfather?

As for the Oscars, I heard it was as unwatchable as it seems most assumed. Can these guys do more to undermine their prestige? Nominate 20 mediocre movies for best picture next year? Have Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus host? These guys are wondering why they're losing ratings while simultaneous sacrificing as much of the little integrity and credibility they had to try and get them back.

If the Oscar committee were trying to reinvent the wheel, their idea would be to make it a square.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
King's Speech: Why didn't King George VI just
use the headphones trick for all his radio addresses
?
I asked my wife the same question during the movie, as he was led to the climactic scene. She responded as well as could be expected: Shhhh!

Griffith

Walter said:
I asked my wife the same question during the movie, as he was led to the climactic scene. She responded as well as could be expected: Shhhh!

Haha, yeah, it can't really be explained except personal motivation, but from his initial attitude, you'd think he would have completely exhausted that roundabout solution either way, and certainly before he'd ever go back for real personal help.

BTW, I was shocked to find out that the guy playing Prince David that looked a little like Guy Pearce turned out to actually be Guy Pearce! Oh Lenny, you wouldn't even recognize yourself anymore.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
BTW, I was shocked to find out that the guy playing Prince David that looked a little like Guy Pearce turned out to actually be Guy Pearce!
The prince, y'see, he has this CONDITION.

Griffith

They just needed Joe Pantoliano as Churchill, couldn't have been worse than Timothy Spall's bad impersonation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Here's the real best picture of the year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z14_-En-JTk

A man after my own heart. That being said, despite not having seen True Grit yet, I already firmly believe it deserved to win everything. :void:

True Grit is as good as it seems. Not the Coens' best, but I liked it a lot more than The Social Network, The King's Speech and all the other 50 movies that were nominated for best movie.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
A man after my own heart.

jerrygreat.jpg

Eluvei said:
True Grit is as good as it seems. Not the Coens' best, but I liked it a lot more than The Social Network, The King's Speech and all the other 50 movies that were nominated for best movie.

And sadly I feel like it's nomination was like an accident, a throw in with the 47 other non-traditional best picture nominees that had no chance in Hell of actually getting the award over The Fighter, The Social Network, The King's Speech or the other The movies.

Griffith said:
And sadly I feel like it's nomination was like an accident, a throw in with the 47 other non-traditional best picture nominees that had no chance in Hell of actually getting the award over The Fighter, The Social Network, The King's Speech or the other The movies.

The weirdest part of this thing is that Toy Story 3 was nominated for both Best Animation and Best Picture. If an animation is good enough for them to nominate it for best picture, what's the point of even pretending there's a chance for the other two nominated films in the animation category? I mean, just tell the other two directors not to show up.

Anyway fuck the Oscars, yesterday I watched Terry Malick's The New World. I like his movies a lot!

Also let me share this cool blog I found: http://alienseries.blogspot.com/

The guy writes some interesting stuff and the behind the scenes pictures are so cool ! ! ! ! !

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:

Eh, I don't think it was an accident. It deserved to be nominated at the very least and the academy certainly had a hard on for it, giving it 10 nominations in all. It's also the Coens most profitable film, $140mil. It was very successful and it deserved every bit of it.

Griffith

Oburi said:
Eh, I don't think it was an accident. It deserved to be nominated at the very least and the academy certainly had a hard on for it, giving it 10 nominations in all. It's also the Coens most profitable film, $140mil. It was very successful and it deserved every bit of it.

Eh, I didn't mean it wasn't deserving, but that it wasn't nominated in good faith or given a real chance, they were just paying it lip service basically. Don't confuse that with me talking about the film's inherent quality, since one has little to do with the other. BTW, how many of those ten academy awards did True Grit actually receive? Yeah, exactly.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Eh, I didn't mean it wasn't deserving, but that it wasn't nominated in good faith or given a real chance, they were just paying it lip service basically. Don't confuse that with me talking about the film's inherent quality, since one has little to do with the other. BTW, how many of those ten academy awards did True Grit actually receive? Yeah, exactly.

Yea true, at the end of the day it did fall short. Which is kinda surprising to me because I honestly thought it had a chance to stand up to the others. But anyway who cares, it's just the Oscars, its nothing important. True Grit wins in my book, followed by Toy Story 3.

Oburi said:
But anyway who cares, it's just the Oscars, its nothing important.

Well, they care. It helps getting a high budget for future projects and such. Not that the Coens need any more prestige, but...

I never regarded The Social Network to be as good as the other movies in it's category for Best Picture (I have yet to watch True Grit and The King's Speech). I think it's over-rated and is nominated just because it's popular.

What do you guys think of Nolan's Inception in terms of Best Movie or Best Director?

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
What do you guys think of Nolan's Inception in terms of Best Movie or Best Director?

I don't know about Best Picture, but, drawing from the nominated films, the fact that Nolan wasn't nominated for director is a joke. When the best director nominated loses, and perhaps the best director wasn't even nominated, then your directing award is a bad joke. Why even have a separate category if it's not based on the quality and degree of difficulty of the direction itself? Just have the directors go up and collect the Best Picture award with the producers.

Aazealh said:
Undeserving.

Compared to what though? I agree with you in a vacuum, but if it's a choice between King's Speech or Inception for example, I'm giving it to Inception.

Top Bottom