Author Topic: Movies you've recently watched  (Read 131296 times)

Offline Grail

• Spanish Inquisitor
  • Falconian
  • Of the Vortex
  • RIP Photobucket
Re: Movies you've recently watched
« Reply #1200 on: August 04, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the movie, Delta! I don't think I'll ever end up seeing it (barring its inevitable SyFy airing :void: ), but it's sad to hear that it's about what everyone here expected.

I still think making The Gunslinger would have been a better choice. It's short enough, you could pretty much just use the book as the screenplay, and it would make for a fantastic movie, imo, with the option to continue the series if it did well.

I would agree, and it seems like the same pitfall that Berserk has fallen into with regards to adaptations. The most easily digestable, adaptation-friendly part of the series keeps getting left behind! :judo:

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #1201 on: August 04, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »
Delta's review is actually one of the kindest I've read, it otherwise sounds like a complete disaster. It's really too bad they didn't just follow The Gunslinger as many have suggested, but of course not. Like Grail pointed out, it's very much how nobody has the good sense to just adapt the BS arc. Anyway, bummer, The Dark Tower would have been way better off as an HBO series or something if Westworld didn't get there first (and it didn't, DT has been in production hell forever). It's funny, film adaptations used to be the ultimate status milestone if nothing else, now it's almost an insult, "Not good enough to be a TV series?" :ganishka:

Offline Gamehowitzer

« Reply #1202 on: August 10, 2017, 06:12:56 AM »
I had watched the Scarlett Johansson ghost in the shell film with my dad (he just wanted to see her in the bodysuit) and i don't think it was anywhere as bad as some people had made it out to be. It certainly lacked in comparison to the other movies, and I don't remember all details, but i think they focused more on parts that the anime films didn't. for example, the whole deal with the organization trying to control her, i feel like the animated films were much more subtle on that. And the whole deal with her identity, i'm not sure how much of that was canon either.
If any of you have seen it and are familiar with the Ghost in the shell series let me know your thoughts.

Offline Tabris

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #1203 on: August 13, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
^^ Maybe it's because I went in with 0 expectations but I ended up enjoying Ghost of the Shell a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. Though it felt pretty diluted in comparison to the original anime, it really wasn't that bad.

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. I thought it was pretty damn fun and hilarious. A pretty solid follow up to the first. Though the charm felt a 'tad' dialled back in comparison to the first movie. Not by much though. That could just be because the first movie stood out so well in comparison to the original Marvel universe movies for me shrug.