Breaking Bad

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
To be more specific, I mean watching it as it's being aired. How long was the delay between air and up on streaming sites? I don't mind paying for them. Cable is just a waste of money for us.

Typically, reddit will have a link to where you can watch the show online. They do it for several shows (TWD being a big one). If you go here on Sunday night, I'm 99% sure that there will be a livestream of it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Typically, reddit will have a link to where you can watch the show online. They do it for several shows (TWD being a big one). If you go here on Sunday night, I'm 99% sure that there will be a livestream of it.
Sure... but I'd really rather go through legal means to do so. Like Amazon, iTunes, etc.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Sure... but I'd really rather go through legal means to do so. Like Amazon, iTunes, etc.

What would Heisenberg do? :badbone:

Well, probably poison some family to watch it on their big screen in HD, so maybe not the best example. BUT, you do touch on a pet peeve of mine, namely when the legal pay option is actually qualitatively worse than the, ahem, extralegal alternatives. For example, when I watched Game of Thrones I did so almost entirely on streaming sites despite the fact that I'm a legal HBOGO subscriber. I did this because the experience wasn't only better, but because HBOGO was so bad at times it made it impractical if not impossible to have any sort of enjoyable viewing experience. That's maddening on many levels, and this has been a problem for the site for years, which they seem to have no interest in fixing. So, I took my "license to view" elsewhere. Now here you are asking, cash in hand essentially, to legally pay per view the show in real time online, an option which should and I hope exists, because the option to do it and not pay actually does. This is where my sympathy for content providers becomes a bit strained. If you can't provide a better, or even viable, product for people's money than they can get for free, when the bootleg is better than the real thing, then that's a problem that goes both ways.

Anyway, let me know if you find a viable way to pay for the upcoming season on a nightly basis so I don't have to be a criminal to watch my favorite criminal television online.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Anyway, let me know if you find a viable way to pay for the upcoming season on a nightly basis so I don't have to be a criminal to watch my favorite criminal television online.
I know for a fact that AMC has a deal with Amazon to put up their episdoes pretty quickly after they air. I watched the latest season of Mad Men (which was just fucking terrible, btw) like this, but I didn't follow it too closely. I'd watch 2-3 episodes at a time, then wait several weeks. But for Breaking Bad, I'm going to want to watch it AS SOON AS it's aired, within reason.

Amazon already has a "Breaking Bad Season 6' entry for its Instant Video section, which is what I'll be stalking in the coming days. http://amzn.com/B00DTOYIIE

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
To be more specific, I mean watching it as it's being aired. How long was the delay between air and up on streaming sites? I don't mind paying for them. Cable is just a waste of money for us.

That's something I'm not sure about. We watched part 1 of season 5 long after all the episodes had aired.

Walter said:
I know for a fact that AMC has a deal with Amazon to put up their episdoes pretty quickly after they air. I watched the latest season of Mad Men (which was just fucking terrible, btw) like this, but I didn't follow it too closely. I'd watch 2-3 episodes at a time, then wait several weeks. But for Breaking Bad, I'm going to want to watch it AS SOON AS it's aired, within reason.

Amazon already has a "Breaking Bad Season 6' entry for its Instant Video section, which is what I'll be stalking in the coming days. http://amzn.com/B00DTOYIIE

This is how I been watching the series since season 3. I just purchase the entire season pass before it comes out, usually the newest episode is up in 24 to 48 hours.

Griffith

Death May Die said:
I just purchase the entire season pass before it comes out, usually the newest episode is up in 24 to 48 hours.

Why isn't it just available when the show airs though? Why the artificial delay of 24 to 168 hours (especially ridiculous for network television)? Sure, the rationale is to give some nominal incentive to owning cable, but again, the show is already available online at that time, just... not for money. Whether you're a programmer, sponsor, or cable provider, there's got to be a better way. One thing I'll give HBOGO credit for, their original programming is made available at the east coast start time.

The Daily Show is probably the most accessible show out there. I would be curious to see what the piracy rates : legitimate views ratio is. What happens when you post all of your episodes online within ~1-4 hours of it airing on television, host it for weeks, but then make clips of virtually every major interview/skit available afterwards indefinitely?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Sure, the rationale is to give some nominal incentive to owning cable
It's this. Most networks are still stuck in the stone age, man. And I imagine it's up to the people managing the advertisements for the network, who we all know are full of goodwill! I'm surprised the turnaround time is that quick.

, but again, the show is already available online at that time, just... not for money.
Yep, and one day the decision-makers will realize that. Just... not today.

One thing I'll give HBOGO credit for, their original programming is made available at the east coast start time.
Agreed that's great, but HBO is a special case, since it has a subscription service it can lean on, and doesn't rely on advertisements.

Perhaps Im just bitching here but I´ve gotten very sensetive to spoilers lately, and I REALLY wanna watch that trailer. On a scale of 1-10, just how spoilerish would you say it is? :schnoz:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
Perhaps Im just bitching here but I´ve gotten very sensetive to spoilers lately, and I REALLY wanna watch that trailer. On a scale of 1-10, just how spoilerish would you say it is? :schnoz:
It's not specific, it's thematic. Landscape shots and a voiceover. So, I'd say... 1?

kotaku.com/breaking-bad-images-so-good-youll-think-theyre-photos-956530496

Came across this, its a artist at Capcom apparently who did 3D renders of Breaking Bad upon other things including:
ku-xlarge.jpg

Find all his great works:
http://www.rikk3d.com/

Griffith

"Hello, Carol." :ganishka:

Well, they decided to really get things going. I'm glad, there's little time, but I hate to see Hank and Walt moving forward so recklessly. Walt should be glad Hank's tracking him if he's out, add some doubt. Of course, he already went to see Jesse, so maybe not...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:

Well, they decided to really get things going. I'm glad, there's little time, but I hate to see Hank and Walt moving forward so recklessly. Walt should be glad Hank's tracking him if he's out, add some doubt. Of course, he already went to see Jesse, so maybe not...
That last line from Walt to Hank gave me chills. What an episode.

I am really surprised to see how fast things are moving. I did not predict Walt would catch on to Hank and then confront him all within the first episode. Then again, had they taken longer to do that, this season probably would have felt too similar to season 4.

At this rate, the show may come full circle within the next 1 or 2 episodes.

Also, if you haven't seen the latest episode, try not to go on the internet. At All. Twitter is firing out unmarked spoilers left and right and I would not be surprised to find a bunch of sites tomorrow stuffing the latest BB spoilers in their headlines and front page screenshots.

Like you guys, I was surprised by the confrontation at the end. I expected both of them to play dumb/innocent. I love how it ended though. "Tread lightly." That was badass. It's good to see that Heisenberg is back.

I really liked that the opening too. Ever since the first episode of this season I've had that flashforward eating away at the back of my mind. So it was great to see a little bit more of what happens in the future.

All in all, that was a pretty solid episode.

Griffith said:
That was great. :ganishka:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Finally that series that starts with a "B" that I enjoy talking about on SK.net is back!

All that stuff at the beginning of the episode has me worried for the state of nearly every character. It won't be long til we find out what's going on.

Anyway, not much else to say other than I'm also surprised(happily) that it's moving so fast right off the bat.

Griffith

A few other things worth comment...

Love the kids filming skate videos in Walt's post apocalyptic back yard, and of course, the pièce de résistance: HEISENBERG! Walter finally has the recognition he deserves! Also, he's going to murder Hank and/or Jesse with the ricin.

A slow zoom on a bathroom door has never been so suspenseful, I could actually feel my heart beating after a while. Also, he's been in there for like 13 months. Speaking of which, for intents and practical purposes, this isn't the second half of season 5, it's season 6. That's the way they went about shooting it, and structurally that's how the last season ended and this one is beginning again. More on this later...

I enjoyed Skylar intimidating Lydia.

Hank's montage was fun, it's just exciting to see him on the case, and a nice organic way to flash back to earlier, though they don't exploit it. The payoff with the Heisenberg picture is great of course, but I also love the callback to security footage, and SCHRADERBRAU!

Badger's horrible Star Trek script, and his and Skinny's surprising level of knowledge, "That's Voyager!" was quite the amusing diversion, but something is ruining it... can't quite put my finger on it... OH WAIT it's Jesse being a mopey son of a bitch for like the 4th straight season. I know he's contractually obligated to be in a funk for at least half of every season, but Jesus Christ enough already. Threaten, him, kill him, do what needs to be done Walt, and certainly don't take the money back to him just so he can reach new levels of stupidity with it. You don't need to lie to Jesse, let him know, "Yeah, I killed your best friend Mike, so don't fuck with me." Hank, on the other hand...

Shouldn't have given up the element of surprise by planting the tracker! And Walter shouldn't have given it back by telling him, but there's egos at play here. Walter rightfully should have just been crying on the floor going, "OH GAWD HANK WHY'D YOU HIT ME ARE YOU NUTS!?" but Heisenberg isn't going to take that. Hell, I'm surprised both ways how much Walt has and hasn't revealed himself to Hank. I wonder if Walt's Heisenberg act would ever intimidate Hank, but Walt didn't go all the way yet. I guess the kid in me half expected Walt to put the hat and glasses on after Hank punched him, but my reptilian brain said he should lay on the chemistry teacher brother-in-law with cancer act as thick as possible; he kind of got stuck in the middle, which is realistic for such a moment, but c'mon, no half measures. Anyway, he should have been more of straight shooter with Jesse, less so with Hank, but it's becoming clear that both of them need to die anyway.

As for next time, well... first I have to sit through a half fucking hour of AMC's so trying to be hard-edged show about cops that commit crimes in their spare time or whatever... fucking eh, after they nickel and dimed the show on the fifth season, do this lame ass "Talking Bad" shit with a new show in the middle, and now this... ugh. Way to give it the shaft and then exploit the hell out of it.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
This episode was great.
I agree with Griffith about Jesse. It's irritating seeing him like this. However, I expect something to wake him from this funk pretty soon. There's lots of shit that Walt did to him that he's not aware of. Jane, Brock, Mike.

The stuff with Hank and Walt was my favorite. I almost teared up at the end, because I realized I've been waiting so long for them to talk to each other like this. I was not let down.

One thing that DOES bug me though (and it has bugged me since the finale of Season "5A",) is how Walt was just like, "I'm out." Oh, okay! He's out! A guy as brilliant as Walt, who has had experience dealing with all kinds of creeps involved in the drug business should KNOW that he can't just quit. I expected him to at least bring Todd up to speed.

There's going to be some bad stuff happening as a result of Walt's abrupt decision, of course. But I feel this plot point was rushed. Oh well, I am still looking forward to how it will play out. I could get down with Walt VS Lydia.

Griffith said:
Also, he's going to murder Hank and/or Jesse with the ricin.

I enjoyed Skylar intimidating Lydia.

Badger's horrible Star Trek script, and his and Skinny's surprising level of knowledge, "That's Voyager!" was quite the amusing diversion,

Yeah, loved Skylar's small part and the whole Star Trek conversation, big smile during that scene.

Do you think Walt has it in him to use the Ricin on himself, if the situation gets THAT bleak and there's no other way out? He tried to kill himself in season 1 but since then, it's all been about self-preservation.

Cool coincidence hearing Marie jokingly tell Walt he's the devil right as Hank comes downstairs with the book.

I'm in the minority where I like seeing Jesse the way he is. From where he started to what he's become, from being a cocky guy he's now full of guilt, remorse ... he's broken.

Griffith

Gobolatula said:
One thing that DOES bug me though (and it has bugged me since the finale of Season "5A",) is how Walt was just like, "I'm out." Oh, okay! He's out! A guy as brilliant as Walt, who has had experience dealing with all kinds of creeps involved in the drug business should KNOW that he can't just quit. I expected him to at least bring Todd up to speed.

There's going to be some bad stuff happening as a result of Walt's abrupt decision, of course. But I feel this plot point was rushed. Oh well, I am still looking forward to how it will play out. I could get down with Walt VS Lydia.

I'm glad the issue reared it's head almost immediately, because I found that jarring as well; another casualty of the shortened season(s). I remember Gilligan saying they thought about doing a scene where Walt basically steps down as CEO, but they felt it wasn't necessary. Of course, if they had been given the allotment of time they originally wanted, they might have covered that and a few other things that were either left to montages or off screen altogether. The exciting part is that the last 7 episodes are supposed to be jam-packed with substance, but when Gilligan is quoted as saying there's a, "shitload of story left to tell" and there's only seven episodes left, one can't help but wonder if all that story is really getting it's due, which is what makes me continue to be bitter with AMC about the way they handled all their unexpected success.

Top Bottom