Episode 335

I'm really digging that altar, especially the griffins. I wonder if those creatures chasing the falcon is a nod to anything in particular such as the spiritual magnetism that draws apostles (and other evil entities) to Femto. Either way it's a beautiful design Miura came up with.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Pretty cool, though like Walter I'm a bit disappointed Griffith still looks like he just walked off the battlefield. I makes sense though that the scene in volume 23 wasn't just a cool trick but something that would recur on a grander scale. His "throne" was a tree stump the last time. =)

I'm also unreasonably excited, given the import of everything else, that Locus is merely involved.

Aazealh said:
It'd be interesting to see him ask Griffith about the former Band of the Falcon (and to hear Griffith's response), but as far as bringing them back as ghosts, the situation is different, as the people shown here are freshly deceased. But even then, they aren't just dead, they were branded. I don't think they could come back that way.
Walter said:
As you said, I don't see how it'd be possible. But indeed hearing the wording of his reply would be interesting. "They've moved on to where they become one." :femto:

Rickert: "Can you call the Falcons?"

Griffith: "Hmmmm, let's see..."

*PIERCING SCREAMS OF ETERNAL ANGUISH ECHO FROM THE BEYOND*

"Uhhh... I think they're becoming one!" :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Pretty cool, though like Walter I'm a bit disappointed Griffith still looks like he just walked off the battlefield.

It does make sense though, if the coronation hasn't occurred yet. Also, Griffith was always front lines leader. Perhaps he'll take that mentality forward, and even along with his godlike status, choose to be identified as a warrior.

I'm also unreasonably excited, given the import of everything else, that Locus is merely involved.

Locus meeting Rickert also gave me that reaction.

RaffoBaffo said:

This is going to be spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

Sonia's hat reminds me of the one Miura drew in his tribute to Chika Umino.

The revised falcon of light motif is giving me the creeps. As if it's more skeletal.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Pretty cool, though like Walter I'm a bit disappointed Griffith still looks like he just walked off the battlefield.

Like I told him by chat: Femto only has one Griffith costume. The lounging one was unavailable at the store. :iva:
More seriously, maybe he's just returned from the field, or it's to honor the soldiers.

Walter said:
Sonia's hat reminds me of the one Miura drew in his tribute to Chika Umino.

Yeah it's a neat touch.

Walter said:
The revised falcon of light motif is giving me the creeps. As if it's more skeletal.

I think it's because it's more angular, that makes it feel a bit menacing.

The more we see of Neo-Griffith, the more I compare him to the 'Warrior-Prophet' aka Anasûrimbor Kellhus from R. Scott Bakker's Second Apocalypse books. I really need to return to that series one of these days.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I think it's because it's more angular, that makes it feel a bit menacing.

Why do you think the design was changed? I think it would make for an interesting discussion. See you on the podcast soon :daiba:

Doc said:
The more we see of Neo-Griffith, the more I compare him to the 'Warrior-Prophet' aka Anasûrimbor Kellhus from R. Scott Bakker's Second Apocalypse books. I really need to return to that series one of these days.

Never heard of it. But I guess you're just ruminating aloud, and not saying Griffith was based on the guy, right?

The art is amazing as always. I hope some day I will also be able to draw such amazing architecture. :ubik:

It's like a fairy tale isn't it? The powerful hero saves the day, gets a kingdom and marries the princess. It's way too perfect. And this is what bugs me. I know this will eventually change but how and when?

Honestly in my opinion the reborn Griffith is a very boring (yet very unique) antagonist. Powerful, beautiful, the ultimate being...I know why he is that way but uuugh... can't wait to see more drama. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Irvine said:
It's like a fairy tale isn't it? The powerful hero saves the day, gets a kingdom and marries the princess. It's way too perfect. And this is what bugs me. I know this will eventually change but how and when?

Patience. We've barely seen what Falconia looks like. Try to enjoy the moment.

Irvine said:
Honestly in my opinion the reborn Griffith is a very boring (yet very unique) antagonist.

Well it's not Griffith "reborn", it's Femto in a fleshsuit, which is why he's like that. I find it interesting actually that he has this expressionless look on his face, it's a great way to convey how above it all he is.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
I find it interesting actually that he has this expressionless look on his face, it's a great way to convey how above it all he is.

Yeh talk about ego! This guy is full of it now. :femto:

Walter said:
Never heard of it. But I guess you're just ruminating aloud, and not saying Griffith was based on the guy, right?

Nah, just a coinky dink. I doubt it's on Miura's reading list.

Book spoilers:
Kellhus is essentially from a Nietzschean race of ubermensch who can control the hearts of mortal men just from reading their facial movements. He uses his 'gifts' to become a cult leader and hijacks a Holy Crusade for his own agenda. He's crucified by his enemies and 'resurrected', which only reaffirms his messianic authority. Long story short, he becomes Emperor of the world and leads campaigns against the dark forces, but no one knows his real motivations and it's highly suspected he's a false prophet. He's pretty much a sociopath who's willing manipulate or sacrifice anyone for his own ends, and just like Neo-Griffith he has this untouchable status as a saviour of the new world.
I'd highly recommend the series, although it's one of those you really need to be in the mood for, as Bakker can get quite heavy on the philosophy and internalization of the characters.

Anyway, back OT: Partly wishful thinking but I expect that #336 will check in with Guts & co. We've had all the build-up for Falconia, and unless Miura's going to dump us straight into Elfheim (which I think we can rule out), it's reasonable to assume we're going to go through all this again with Skellig. So from a pacing point of view, it would make sense.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Locus meeting Rickert also gave me that reaction.

Well, we can probably just transpose the scene of Mule meeting him. :ganishka:

Walter said:
It does make sense though, if the coronation hasn't occurred yet. Also, Griffith was always front lines leader. Perhaps he'll take that mentality forward, and even along with his godlike status, choose to be identified as a warrior.
Aazealh said:
Like I told him by chat: Femto only has one Griffith costume. The lounging one was unavailable at the store. :iva:
More seriously, maybe he's just returned from the field, or it's to honor the soldiers.
Aazealh said:
Well it's not Griffith "reborn", it's Femto in a fleshsuit, which is why he's like that. I find it interesting actually that he has this expressionless look on his face, it's a great way to convey how above it all he is.

Less than the costume it's more that the shtick is the same. The best moments of Griffith's return have by far been the instances he's dropped the mask (especially with Ganishka/Skully). Still hoping we'll get another look at that (or at least his Hill of Swords frankness) in some private time with Rickert, but this is boring "public Griffith" on full display.

Really, this emot sums it up perfectly: :griffnotevil: So, here's hoping for just a little more :femto: around the corner. Even watching him do the Mr. Perfect act while dismissively outmaneuvering nobles to their faces is enough, "Yeah yeah, you don't like me, I don't like you, but I've got all the juice and you don't even know the half of it, so... *yawn*" =)

honestly, i thinck that the pacing of the series is really slow right now, but thats just my opinion
the art is good as always but the plot is not moving that fast imo

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Even watching him do the Mr. Perfect act while dismissively outmaneuvering nobles to their faces is enough, "Yeah yeah, you don't like me, I don't like you, but I've got all the juice and you don't even know the half of it, so... *yawn*" =)

Honestly I don't think that's even happening anymore. It's just benevolent overlord Griffith going through the motions now.

TheWillOfT said:
honestly, i thinck that the pacing of the series is really slow right now, but thats just my opinion

It's pretty fast, on the contrary. In just 3 episodes we've seen and learned quite a lot about Fantasia and Falconia.

I have to wonder what would feel like a proper pace to you. Jumping straight to Rickert talking to Griffith, then quick, back to Guts? No "wasted time" sinking in the details? It's pretty disheartening for me to read reactions like that. It reminds me how 10 years ago, people were complaining about the Berserk's armor as it was revealed. I think it's important to enjoy what you have while expecting what's yet to come, otherwise you can never be satisfied.

jackson_hurley

TheWillOfT said:

Not that much actually. I've been rreading the series so far and everything flows nicely when read in a batch. But I understand what you mean.

Damn I'll have to wait the end of my shift to look at the pictures. The site is blocked at work! thx in advance.

Aazealh said:
It's pretty fast, on the contrary. In just 3 episodes we've seen and learned quite a lot about Fantasia and Falconia.
now that i thinck about it you are right in that aspect

i probably had to high hopes in seeing the conversation between griffith and Rickert go down in this episode, but i understand that it is necessary to show how falconia is structured etc.

i just want to see guts and co. finally arrive at Elfhelm haha

TheWillOfT said:

It just seems slow because of the release schedule.

TheWillOfT said:
i just want to see guts and co. finally arrive in Elfhelm haha

Don't we all? But I love the focus on Falconia.

The shot of Sonia in her Holy See (I assume?) robes just adorable! Her regalia suggests to me that she has an important role within the order now.

How long is Griffith going to be able to keep up his emotionless demeanor before the citizens start becoming suspect? Assuming that his behavior will raise any red flags at all.

Owen's back!

I really love the design of the palace. Seems like it would be nigh impossible to siege with those crisscrossing bottlenecks and murder holes over each arch. Very impressive up close.

Also, is it just me, or does the fabric down the front of Sonia's robe really resemble the brand of sacrifice more than the icon usually does. It almost looks like a Hawk soaring out of the Idea of Evil. Pretty cool stuff.

Can't wait for a translation!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gummyskull said:
The shot of Sonia in her Holy See (I assume?) robes just adorable! Her regalia suggests to me that she has an important role within the order now.

I think that goes without saying. She could be next in line when the Pontiff dies, too.

Gummyskull said:
How long is Griffith going to be able to keep up his emotionless demeanor before the citizens start becoming suspect? Assuming that his behavior will raise any red flags at all.

Well, so far so good. They're all captivated by what he's doing in this episode.

ApostleBob said:
I really love the design of the palace. Seems like it would be nigh impossible to siege with those crisscrossing bottlenecks and murder holes over each arch. Very impressive up close.

Indeed, it's completely impregnable. A fortress as otherworldly as its ruler is.

ApostleBob said:
Also, is it just me, or does the fabric down the front of Sonia's robe really resemble the brand of sacrifice more than the icon usually does. It almost looks like a Hawk soaring out of the Idea of Evil. Pretty cool stuff.

Yeah, the way it's done actually reminds me of a post by Walter from over 10 years ago about the clear link between the Brand, the Falcon symbol and the Idea of Evil.

And then there's this picture I made. :void:

jackson_hurley

Arggh!!! All your comments makes me want to leave work early damn it can't wait to visualise what you guys are talking about! Spoil me something to tease me more!

I'm gonna go continue my volume 19 while I wait stupidly at work!

I've come home and this beautiful episode was waiting for me! The details, the beauty.... I'm glad. Every time we get new info I'm getting more and more curious. I wonder what they are saying in the panel with the sword planted in the ground...

And on page 3 (if I'm not wrong) there's something that says 10th mystery? What is it?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
I've come home and this beautiful episode was waiting for me! The details, the beauty.... I'm glad. Every time we get new info I'm getting more and more curious. I wonder what they are saying in the panel with the sword planted in the ground...
Won't know this until we can get our hands on the Japanese pages. So far all we have are Chinese... But my guess on the sword is that it's Locus speaking figuratively, possibly about Griffith.

And on page 3 (if I'm not wrong) there's something that says 10th mystery? What is it?

That text isn't on the pics that LOicos posted, so I'd assume that's some bullshit slapped on by the Chinese scanners (great work, guys).

I'm not seeing an episode title. Anyone else? Ah, there it is. Top left. Too small to read.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
Won't know this until we can get our hands on the Japanese pages. So far all we have are Chinese... But my guess on the sword is that it's Locus speaking figuratively, possibly about Griffith.

That text isn't on the pics that LOicos posted, so I'd assume that's some bullshit slapped on by the Chinese scanners (great work, guys).

I'm not seeing an episode title. Anyone else? Ah, there it is. Top left. Too small to read.

thanks Walter. Thats why even though I don't speak Japanese I thought the characters were strange vs what I usually see in the Japanese version!

Top Bottom