Episode 350

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of things to unpack in those pages. The restoration progress went even faster than I expected. Some funny scenes in there (Farnese covering Schierke's eyes) but that are already having an impact on the characters as well. Will comment more later.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, most of the other memories at once — neat!

With Casca's fragments now mostly restored, the tiny sprite can talk, and I think she conveys that she wants to meet (who -- could it be the star of all of her memories?). Of course, the piece that's missing is the left breast, where the brand lies. Though the brand is already evident, of course...

The first memory is triggered by Schierke tapping Casca's old helmet and sword. Was a cool touch — I wasn't sure what it was at first.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
This is indeed happening much more rapidly that I anticipated. I'm loving the montage though. Seeing everything through Casca's eyes, literally, is really neat. I can't help but feel that through all these experiences, Farnese is going to gain such an intimate knowledge of Casca's and Guts' love for each other that putting her feelings aside won't be a matter of question. But maybe that's too clean and idealized.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Beautifull! I was not sure if I should/could pre-order the issue but fuck it. It's too grandiose to miss out on the original episode so I pre-ordered it. Can't wait for the full deal.

As others have said, I was not thinking it would move that fast but at the same time it's pulled in a very cool way so It's alright I'd say.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So where was I... The episode title is "Fragments of Memory".

Like I said earlier it's very dense. I love that we see the memories from a first person view, makes perfect sense and gives us a whole new look at these situations... The look in Guts' eye when their swords first clash for example. It's also very interesting that the dog is barking at that memory, it further underlines the fact that the dog embodies a part of Casca. Anyway, during that scene the girls feel that the transferred feeling is a very strong will to fight.

When they see the waterfall falling from the sky, they're not even surprised anymore because of everything they've gone through already. Afterwards, when they see Guts make love to Casca, Farnese hides Schierke's eyes and tells her she shouldn't see that while Schierke argues she might need it in the future. But she does look... She thinks to herself: "Ah, yeah... It's as I expected... No, it's what I already knew from the beginning."

An interesting conversation takes place after they've collected almost all fragments. Farnese says she feels like they've walked for a month, maybe even a year. And it shows. I like how disheveled they look, the wear on their dream-selves is very clear. Schierke tells her again that time is meaningless in that place. Then Schierke comments that there aren't many fragments left to put in the doll. She thinks the end of the journey is near. She adds that it seems they're being led to this spiky mountain, and it must be their final destination. She goes on: "It's what symbolizes the main cause that shattered Casca's mind. The monsters we've met so far can't be compared to this one, it'll be very powerful."

Farnese tells the (fearful) sprite that everything will be alright, then she notices the sprite is saying something. Schierke speculates it's because they've put a lot of fragments together. It says: "there's somebody I want to meet" and Farnese replies "I'll let you meet that person for sure, because it's what he wants."

Translated bits courtesy of puella as usual!

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
"there's somebody I want to meet" and Farnese replies "I'll let you meet that person for sure, because it's what he wants."

That last line is very interesting to me. I'm getting more and more intrigued by how it's all gonna wrap up etc. Thx Aaz for the quick summary! Great as always.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
That last line is very interesting to me. I'm getting more and more intrigued by how it's all gonna wrap up etc. Thx Aaz for the quick summary! Great as always.

It means Casca wants to meet Guts...
But the missing part of her memory is going to be the key here, as Schierke says. It seems likely that reintegrating that memory will complicate Casca's feelings and maybe make her not so willing anymore. It would then be up to Farnese and Schierke to convince her or help her make the decision. We'll see.

On a side note, I still can't shake that crazy idea I had when we first saw that nightmarish landscape: the fact the black sun eerily looks like an eye with that white background and that peculiar break in the clouds. I think the resemblance is pretty strong in this episode. The idea I put out at the time is that maybe the black sun will morph into her last look in Guts' eye when he watched powerless as Femto violated her. I think that'd make sense in the context of her being "broken" by misconceived feelings of shame and guilt. Not to mention how much more powerful it would make her last words during the Eclipse: "Don't look." And given how much Guts has been featured in her memories so far, I'd say it makes even more sense now. Hell, if I push it, that spiky moutain could even pierce the "eye" (although I still expect the mountain to act as a symbol for the hand).

Episode350-BlackSun.jpg

Eclipse-GutsEye.jpg

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:

I knew that obviously.

It doesn't prevent the fact that I find it interesting and wanting to see how it's gonna happen. Thanx for sharing your take on the matter though. :guts:

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
It was an interesting choice to go "Fast Fowards" regarding the memories. At first I thought Schierke and Farnese would have a closer look at them, just like the Bonfire of Dreams memories. But that'd be kind of a wasted of time. Retelling of a story we already know. It's pretty balanced on not overlooking Schierke's and Farnese's reactions / not dragging the story.

Aazealh said:
On a side note, I still can't shake that crazy idea I had when we first saw that nightmarish landscape: the fact the black sun eerily looks like an eye with that white background and that peculiar break in the clouds.

Wish I had that perspective! Since the clouds really do make an eye shape, that may be just the case. I mean, they could make any random shape, they're clouds, but we're in Caska's mind... where things ought to have a meaning.

Thanks for the translations Puella!!

Very chilling episode, you guys pointed out some great things about it. In the future when guts reunites with rickert, i wonder if farnese and shierke will recognize him "oh it's the guy from the memories", i know he's older now and looks different but i think it'd be pretty cool. looking forward to seeing the 10 missing pages! we're getting closer :judo:

Things seem like they're moving briskly now, but it's just the calm before the storm. The real trial awaits within the mountain. Stay strong, girls. :sad:

Seeing the Casca sprite speak got me emotional. Sure, it's just a piece of her overall psyche, but it's almost like we're witnessing her say her first words in forever. And the fact that she wants so desperately to see Guts is...after reading so many hairbrained predictions over the years, that she's going to hate Guts and immediately flock back to Griffith, and getting into so many bitter arguments about it, to see how wrong they all were is...vindicating. I'm not naive enough to believe things will be hunky-dory when all is said and done, but I think it says volumes when the most important figure in Casca's mind (and hell, the most prominent person in her memory) is Guts.

Watching a flustered Farnese cover a protesting Schierke's eyes for the love scene was funny, but what kills me is how even the dog is looking a little sheepish in that panel.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Of course, the piece that's missing is the left breast, where the brand lies. Though the brand is already evident, of course...

That really jumped out at me for a different reason, because it's reminiscent of the imagery of the Beast tearing her apart where Guts literally bit her, except that was on the right breast, so it seems that may not be reckoned with here as it's so far all been pre-eclipse and everything leading up to it.

Gobolatula said:
What I find most interesting is this:

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out this was my second biggest laugh here today after Farnese covering Schierke's eyes. Which reminds me of a Griffith's Real Life Stories of Berserk where I practically did the exact same thing to the younger sister of a friend when the Femto/Casca scene came on the 1997 anime. That was awkward. :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
But the missing part of her memory is going to be the key here, as Schierke says. It seems likely that reintegrating that memory will complicate Casca's feelings and maybe make her not so willing anymore. It would then be up to Farnese and Schierke to convince her or help her make the decision. We'll see.

Are you sure she doesn't want to meet Griffith and live in his monster castle!? Kidding aside, I did wonder if that could also refer to the child since her conscious self hasn't properly "met" him yet, but I'm being very literal with these and terms and Guts is the obvious answer, I'm sure more so understanding the complete context.

Aazealh said:
On a side note, I still can't shake that crazy idea I had when we first saw that nightmarish landscape: the fact the black sun eerily looks like an eye with that white background and that peculiar break in the clouds. I think the resemblance is pretty strong in this episode. The idea I put out at the time is that maybe the black sun will morph into her last look in Guts' eye when he watched powerless as Femto violated her. I think that'd make sense in the context of her being "broken" by misconceived feelings of shame and guilt. Not to mention how much more powerful it would make her last words during the Eclipse: "Don't look." And given how much Guts has been featured in her memories so far, I'd say it makes even more sense now. Hell, if I push it, that spiky moutain could even pierce the "eye" (although I still expect the mountain to act as a symbol for the hand).

I don't think it's crazy or a side note. It's all there, even The Hand piercing the "eye" works as it was a clawed finger in first place, so all the better symbolism. As we've seen, certain items and totems have activated the memories, so why not the black sun and the clouds becoming the memory of Guts' eye from Casca's point of view, as you say. Back to what I said to Wally, I wonder if beyond the original memory Guts' image will be complicated as a fellow victim, witness, and perpetrator from his brief attack on her in the wilderness when her mind was also on the eclipse. Based on the hole in the breast appearing to be a coincidence and the memories themselves being very literal so far I'm assuming not, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it comes up somehow before they're out of there (especially if there's another rush of memories once they clear the hurdle of the eclipse). It's the kind of muddied the water that would complicate reconciling her.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I wonder if beyond the original memory Guts' image will be conflicted both a fellow victim, witness, and perpetrator from his brief attack on her in the wilderness when her mind was also on the eclipse. Based on the hole in the breast appearing to be a coincidence and the memories themselves being very literal so far I'm assuming not, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it comes up somehow before they're out of there. It's the kind of muddied water that would complicate reconciling her.

My mind hasn't changed on that point; I still don't think Guts' assault in volume 23 will be addressed in the dream. I do think there'll be opportunities for it afterwards though (same for their son and for so many other things). However I believe the penance for it has been already served (over the past 15 volumes), so I don't see it becoming a huge thing where Casca will hold a long-lasting grudge. It'd be refreshing if she forgave him while he was choked by guilt. We'll see...

But for now I think the memory of the Eclipse is going to be a big challenge. I get the feeling Farnese will need to really comfort the Sprite in there, to convince it to take that step. Somehow I can easily imagine Farnese recounting to Casca all the times Guts fought to save her (either in the dream or maybe even after she wakes). What's great is that doesn't just include great moments from the Millennium Falcon and Fantasia arcs but also from the Conviction arc (she was there for the goat guy, for Mozgus...).

I also wonder if putting back that last piece won't threaten to fracture the doll all over again. Not sure how the girls would prevent that... maybe with Danan's help?
Oh and what form will the "enemy" take? Maybe the bat-winged creatures will conglomerate to form a monstrous version of Femto? Will the dog meet his demise?

Aazealh said:
On a side note, I still can't shake that crazy idea I had when we first saw that nightmarish landscape: the fact the black sun eerily looks like an eye with that white background and that peculiar break in the clouds. I think the resemblance is pretty strong in this episode. The idea I put out at the time is that maybe the black sun will morph into her last look in Guts' eye when he watched powerless as Femto violated her. I think that'd make sense in the context of her being "broken" by misconceived feelings of shame and guilt. Not to mention how much more powerful it would make her last words during the Eclipse: "Don't look." And given how much Guts has been featured in her memories so far, I'd say it makes even more sense now. Hell, if I push it, that spiky mountain could even pierce the "eye" (although I still expect the mountain to act as a symbol for the hand).

I'm not sure how I missed this being mentioned before. It just works so well given the context, and I think calling it a "crazy idea" is going a bit too far. Certainly it has more weight than being the Beast of Darkness's eye, which makes no sense at all. I look forward to seeing if this prediction comes to fruition.

For some reason I never really considered the weight of Casca's guilt and shame, especially from the standpoint of Guts having to watch her rape, being a major factor in her breaking. I've always looked at it being from Griffiths ultimate betrayal and the Eclipse as a whole, but it really does make sense that it could be the most significant factor here.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
My mind hasn't changed on that point; I still don't think Guts' assault in volume 23 will be addressed in the dream.

C'mon, Guts being the final obstacle would be a good plot twist! :carcus:

Yeah, it's going to be nightmare Femto, probably formed out of all the winged demons as you say. What's interesting is that, in my memory, he's been represented less directly over the years than the whole ordeal itself, the Apostles holding her up, etc. So, this will be interesting. What if Femto and the Apostles just straight up step out of the memory this time? :magni:

Aazealh said:
I do think there'll be opportunities for it afterwards though (same for their son and for so many other things).

Thus far there's been a clear line separating everything pre-eclipse, so I do wonder what impact her experiences will have on her reformed self and how she'll deal with them, if at all at first.

Aazealh said:
But for now I think the memory of the Eclipse is going to be a big challenge.

Yeah, I was thinking that it's going to be pretty hairy, like daunting as Hell and they have no idea yet. They're likely to have everything, whatever's lurking in the dreamscape, the memories, the sprites, the fragility of the doll, working against them all at once. Their minds could be at risk of breaking trying to reassemble her's and experiencing that trauma and more.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
stein said:
I'm not sure how I missed this being mentioned before. It just works so well given the context, and I think calling it a "crazy idea" is going a bit too far. Certainly it has more weight than being the Beast of Darkness's eye, which makes no sense at all. I look forward to seeing if this prediction comes to fruition. For some reason I never really considered the weight of Casca's guilt and shame, especially from the standpoint of Guts having to watch her rape, being a major factor in her breaking. I've always looked at it being from Griffiths ultimate betrayal and the Eclipse as a whole, but it really does make sense that it could be the most significant factor here.

Hehe, thanks, I first mentioned it in the episode 347 thread (here).

Griffith said:
What's interesting is that, in my memory, he's been represented less directly over the years than the whole ordeal itself, the Apostles holding her up, etc. So, this will be interesting. What if Femto and the Apostles just straight up step out of the memory this time? :magni:

Yep, she's never had a flashback featuring Femto himself, which I think highlights how repressed that memory has been. And here we'll see it from a first person view... :sad:

Griffith said:
Their minds could be at risk of breaking trying to reassemble her's and experiencing that trauma and more.

I'm curious to see how they'll manage when the feelings Casca experienced during the Eclipse will be transferred to them. Not going to be a fun time.

Top Bottom