Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 152979 times)

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #800 on: January 18, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
Finally getting off my butt and reading Dune. I know there are multiple books, but I've heard anything after Herbet's death isn't worth reading.

Any insight from anyone?

The original run from Frank Herbert ended (somewhat prematurely) with book 6 -- Chapterhouse: Dune. Dune is my favorite sci-fi novel, but I've had a really hard time getting into the other books. That's certainly not to say they're bad, many people adore them. But so far for me (halfway into book 3 and I dropped out again) they just don't capture the greatness that I felt in the first book.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:20:24 PM by Walter »

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #801 on: January 18, 2019, 04:23:51 PM »
Perfume was such a good read. I've been generally following the fragrance community for the last 6/7 years and had this book in my bucket list to check out. Fascinating premise and it takes a dark/ disturbing turn as all obsessions can lead to.

I'm going to look into e-readers because I want to try to read a book a month without having to worry about shelf space. Any recommendations? I joined a bud's book club and they begin next month, they haven't picked a book as yet.

How cool! I read One Hundred Years of Solitude many years ago. Little did I know at the time that I probably should have read an article or two on Latin American history first. As a result, I took the entire book as a literal sort of fairy tale. It was fun, but perhaps not what the author intended! :ganishka:

Nice! I just began reading it. My plan of reading two books in December failed because I was running around between weddings, work, social stuff, family ... the usual when I visit home.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:35:45 PM by IncantatioN »
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Offline MiyamotoPuck

« Reply #802 on: January 18, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »
Finally getting off my butt and reading Dune. I know there are multiple books, but I've heard anything after Herbet's death isn't worth reading.

Any insight from anyone?

Nice, I intend to do the same thing very soon!

Offline Sareth

« Reply #803 on: January 22, 2019, 03:28:26 PM »
Received the deluxe editions of Tomie, Gyo, and Uzumaki by Junji Ito today.

Offline XionHorsey

« Reply #804 on: March 15, 2019, 12:56:20 PM »
67% Complete in Reaper's Gale(going slow, but finally picking up big time): https://www.goodreads.com/user_status/show/214620017

Offline buttonmasher

« Reply #805 on: March 19, 2019, 10:57:21 AM »
I picked up Gaiman's Sandman omnibus and I'm about half way through the series.  I've been a fan of his for a while due to Good Omens and American Gods.
Sandman is concentrated doses of what he does very well and I've had my hair blown back a few times already.  The surreal nature of the artwork is an interesting contrast to the hyper detailed work we celebrate here.  It seems needlessly dark at times compared to other stuff I've read from him but I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read some panels from left to right. 

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #806 on: March 19, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
I picked up Gaiman's Sandman omnibus and I'm about half way through the series.

I pretty much grew up reading that stuff. Gaiman showed me the escape route from superhero comics as a wee teenager, and pretty much built the bridge that led to me falling in love with Berserk, after I started seeking out comic stories that were bigger than Marvel and Image's foil-embossed garbage. If you haven't checked it out yet, try Neverwhere. It's my favorite thing he's done. He also helped with the English localization script for Mononoke Hime, and a little bit of that shines through to American Gods, I've always thought.

Offline bulleit

« Reply #807 on: March 19, 2019, 12:29:24 PM »
I am also a big fan of Neverwhere. I especially enjoyed his prose and characters, which I suppose is the real key to any good story. Unfortunately that is the only book I have read by him to date. I tried to listen to the American Gods audio book but couldn't get into it. Maybe I didn't give it long enough.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #808 on: March 19, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
I tried to listen to the American Gods audio book but couldn't get into it. Maybe I didn't give it long enough.

I wasn't a big fan of it, even back when I was a huge fan of Gaiman (he autographed mine, and even that couldn't rescue the book). It's a big sprawling mess.

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
  • even the horses are cut in half!
« Reply #809 on: March 19, 2019, 01:30:20 PM »
I wasn't a big fan of it, even back when I was a huge fan of Gaiman (he autographed mine, and even that couldn't rescue the book). It's a big sprawling mess.

Thats sad to read. American Gods is one of my favorite book. Not sure if I'd put it on top of Neverwhere though...

Offline buttonmasher

« Reply #810 on: March 19, 2019, 07:41:36 PM »
I totally agree that American Gods was all over the place.  It felt like it never quite reached its potential and I definitely expected more otherworldliness (sorry for using that word).  Having said that, I loved it because that was the first time I was exposed to Gaiman's uncanny ability to personify deities and ideas while placing them in our world. 

I got Norse Mythology on audible and returned it after a day because it was too fantastic and it felt like there were no rules.  I understand what he's doing with that book but it wasn't for me.  Just the idea of the Endless immiedately blows anything from American Gods out of the water for me and I love the historical fiction in Sandman where we get to see these entities shaping the world.  I really scratched my head at first wondering how Dream could be such a powerful entity but Gaiman has convinced me.

Offline Grail

• Cheddar Goblin
  • Falconian
  • Of the Vortex
  • Feel the funk blast
« Reply #811 on: March 19, 2019, 07:55:07 PM »
Funny that you should bring up an attempt at listening to American Gods bulleit, I just did the same recently, with similar results. I'm not a Gaiman fan, so I don't know if it's just too "him" for me, but I felt like the mythological references I encountered in the first few chapters were too heavy-handed and lacked depth. :shrug: