Dark Horse Releases

Couldn't pick mine up last weds because I was in Texas, but I will grab it today while I am downtown Seattle and report on anything else that I find suspicious.

EDIT: After reading I thought that the conversation where Schierke explains to Guts how Ganishka's body works, was a little confusing. Will have to check this site's translations for reference.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about the order you placed on November 30 2009. Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the item(s) as soon as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when the item(s) may be delivered:

Kentaro Miura "Berserk Volume 32 (Berserk (Graphic Novels))"
Estimated arrival date: December 17 2009

:mozgus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Amazon has really been dropping the ball lately on Berserk releases. It's very weird, since I also order Vagabond through Viz as soon as it's released. And there's never any delay in those. So it just makes me wonder if it's Amazon's fault in not ordering enough copies, or in Dark Horse not shipping them the copies in a timely manner.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Amazon has really been dropping the ball lately on Berserk releases. It's very weird, since I also order Vagabond through Viz as soon as it's released. And there's never any delay in those. So it just makes me wonder if it's Amazon's fault in not ordering enough copies, or in Dark Horse not shipping them the copies in a timely manner.

I'll go ahead and say that I doubt it's Amazon's fault.

Aazealh said:
Dark Horse's edition remains better than scanlations in any case, so you have no reason to regret your choice.
Hell, I don't regret one bit! I'm probably the happiest manga owner. =) And I guess there's only a couple guys in Russia who owns this much DH volumes. :carcus:
By the way, this spring Berserk is going to be released in Russian, yay, can't wait.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I got home from work today to be greeted by a comically large package from Amazon containing my volume 32. :ganishka:
I don't know what's been up with them getting releases so late recently, but it's a bit annoying. They are the cheapest way to obtain the volumes for me though, so I'll stick to them for now I guess. :puck:

Darklink286 said:
They are the cheapest way to obtain the volumes for me though, so I'll stick to them for now I guess. :puck:
Lucky you, I wish international shipping was free. :sad:

By the way, have there been any volume 31 reprints?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm still waiting for mine to show up (I got it from TFAW). I'm still in the process of rereading the series for the umpteenth time (I'm almost done with Vol. 25) so I won't get to it until next week probably, whether it arrives by then or not.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I'm surprised that they don't feature vol. 34 on the Dark Horse site yet... Either it's takig 'em a little while to put together, or they're scheming up some wacky new way to release the series. I'm still hoping for purchasable translated episodes as they com out... After all, the time has almost come that they can't do the bi-monthly thing anymore. They gotta do something to make sure the domestic readers don't flip out... from 6 books per year to almost 2? Hmm...

Do the right thing Dark Horse. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Gobolatula said:
I'm surprised that they don't feature vol. 34 on the Dark Horse site yet... Either it's takig 'em a little while to put together, or they're scheming up some wacky new way to release the series. I'm still hoping for purchasable translated episodes as they com out... After all, the time has almost come that they can't do the bi-monthly thing anymore. They gotta do something to make sure the domestic readers don't flip out... from 6 books per year to almost 2? Hmm...

Do the right thing Dark Horse. :guts:

I'm sure they'll do what most others do for manga that's caught up, wait 6 months to a year to release it once it comes in Japan. It sucks but that's probably how it'll be.

I managed to get my copy of 32 today. It was weird I went to two Barnes and Noble bookstores, a borders bookstore and nobody had it. I remembered that Newberry Comics carried a small selection of manga at the last minute and waddayaknow, they had one, unwrapped, copy left. It seemed in fine condition so I bought it. I must admit I like the way they designed the pages in between episodes, with pictures in the background instead of solid black or white. And I liked the summarry at the beginning, that's new too.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Just wanted to let everyone know that it's really fun watching your Berserk collection go from 5 volumes to 20 in about three weeks. I never had much money to spare until recently, so I've always just bought Young Animal and the Japanese volumes when I could. Now that I have a job, and my expenses are fairly low for now, I'm going on a Dark Horse shopping spree. :guts:

I'm also kind of surprised at how much I like the quality of the releases. They seem to keep improving, and save for a few minor complaints, I'm mostly satisfied with the translation. The SK.net community's thorough analysis and translations have no doubt spoiled me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:

I'd recommend pre-ordering them as soon as they're available, mine arrived in the mail this afternoon (and I pre-ordered 33 shortly thereafter). Regardless of their relative stock at amazon, I wonder if it isn't that Berserk is simply more in demand than Vagabond. Anyway, I didn't have a problem with Guts "Oh sure!" within the flow of the conversation (it certainly wasn't bizarre like the "YEAH, SURE, WHATEVER!" Guts laid on Daiba in the last volume) though some of the wording is a little awkward, maybe even for trying to be too smooth, if that makes sense. For example, Zodd now says, "Your urge to kill... makes my neck bristle with ecstasy." Hopefully that doesn't mean he also has a boner there, but it sounds like something more appropriate for Twilight than a heated, NOT hot n' heavy, conversation between Guts and Zodd.

Aazealh said:
I'll go ahead and say that I doubt it's Amazon's fault.

:guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
Zodd now says, "Your urge to kill... makes my neck bristle with ecstasy."

Gutsram2.jpg

Oburi

All praise Grail
グリフィス said:
For example, Zodd now says, "Your urge to kill... makes my neck bristle with ecstasy." Hopefully that doesn't mean he also has a boner there, but it sounds like something more appropriate for Twilight than a heated, NOT hot n' heavy, conversation between Guts and Zodd.

:guts:

Hahah, thought the same thing When I read that.

Oburi said:
I I remembered that Newberry Comics carried a small selection of manga at the last minute and waddayaknow, they had one, unwrapped, copy left.
I bought my first 18 volumes there, the guy from the store even ordered some volumes from other NC-stores. :serpico: And it's Newbury Comics, by the way. :guts:

So any news about reprints?

Hey guys I'm new

I recently got a copy of Dark Horse's reprint of volume 15 and I noticed that some of pages were missing from the volume. It basically skips from the point where Rosine charges a Guts and Jill intervenes to the point where Guts is fighting all of the flaming children by his campfire. It's missing around 20 pages.

Here see for yourselves
Picture6.jpg

Hopefully it's just my volume 15 that's missing some pages and nobody else's, in which case I'll just order another one.

I also noticed that if you go to Dark Horse's website and look at the preview pages for volume 15 it will illustrate some of the missing pages in the preview.

For example

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previews/13-847?page=1
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previews/13-847?page=2
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previews/13-847?page=3
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previews/13-847?page=4

Has anyone else recently gotten a copy of Dark Horse's reprint of volume 15 and noticed some missing pages or am I simply a victim of Murphy's Law?

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I actually only just picked up Volume 15 a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure it's a re-issue; none of the stores around me have had that volume for a very long time. Mine isn't missing anything though, so my bet is it's just a problem with yours. :sad:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That's pretty fucked up. Mine has all the pages. I'd write DH and inform them of the problem, and also note which reprint it is, based on the information in the first few pages of your volume.

BiQ_

" ... "
You should also contact the place you bought it from, they might change it into a new copy. (or maybe I'm just being too optimistic)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
...I really wonder why Volume 34 hasn't shown up on the Dark Horse site yet... :femto: :zodd:
Could be many reasons.

Some food for thought: When Viz reached this point in publication with Vagabond, there was a slight delay in announcements and confirmations of future volumes. We speculated at the time that it was because Viz may have had to renegotiate their contract with the Japanese publisher (Kodansha). Viz' U.S. distribution license for the title may have been only up to a certain number (1-28, etc.) and didn't include unforeseen numbers.

But I wouldn't take this delay to heart. Berserk is a successful product for DH, and it'll get released eventually. Just perhaps not within the normal 2 month delay.

I would like to think they intend to delay it to make the gap between 34 and 35 as small as possible. Although, I very much doubt that. I'm slowly catching up in releases and buy around 2 a month. I'm currently waiting on volume 26 to arrive but the snow in this damn country is preventing the post office from delivering :judo:

Top Bottom