Dark Horse Releases

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Well, I got my volume 34 and it was a great read. (A quick one too, if you don't stare at all the pictures forever like I do.) It's hard to imagine that this material is so fresh. I saw so many panels / pages and thought, "Wow, this one is classic." The image of Skully about to try to kill Femto, for example.

Also, I was really curious about how they were gonna translate "UNLEASH YOUR EVIL." Turns out DH used,
"DEMONIC RELEASE."

And now I wait for volume 35... Only a few weeks... :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Can't we petition them to use SK translations? Seriously, who thought that sounded good? Can't someone just be fired?

Not unless the translators are credited and remunerated.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
Also, I was really curious about how they were gonna translate "UNLEASH YOUR EVIL." Turns out DH used,
"DEMONIC RELEASE."

Ugh, that sucks. Where's the barf emoticon when you need it?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
Ugh, that sucks. Where's the barf emoticon when you need it?

DEMONIC RELEASE!
gutsbarf.gif

I think it works in the right context, for example, "I had a
DEMONIC RELEASE
last night... in my pants!"

puella

Berserk forever
It's true the translation isn't good, but I don't think DH would have an easy time finding a better translator for Berserk, especially considering what they must pay for it (not much). Our great manga requires the highest translating ability: great knowledge about history, religions, folklores, cultures, old Japanese words, gastronomy, dialects, complex combinations of Chinese characters, etc. Actually, it'd be almost impossible for them to find the perfect guy, I'd bet on it.

I've translated very specialized medical texts written by doctors from Japanese to English, and I find it much easier than Berserk. But a lot less interesting. :iva:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Gobolatula said:
"DEMONIC RELEASE."

Yea but no matter how hard it is to translate how could they possibly end up with that. I mean it seriously sounds like a joke (Griffith's post is making me laugh). In this case I really wouldn't have minded if they came to Sk.net for reference. Can anyone tell me what the episode title is for that one because it's also supposed to be "Unleash Evil" or "Evil Unleashed"? If
"DEMONIC RELEASE."
is the name of the episode I'll die.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
In this case I really wouldn't have minded if they came to Sk.net for reference.

No offense, but whether there's a problem with that or not isn't up to you.

Oburi said:
Can anyone tell me what the episode title is for that one because it's also supposed to be "Unleash Evil" or "Evil Unleashed"? If
"DEMONIC RELEASE."
is the name of the episode I'll die.

It's the exact same line. So it would be "Unleash your Evil", but to make it more title-like we modified it to "Unleash Evil", which is also a correct translation for it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Too bad they didn't at least go for something that sounds cool in English, like, "UNLEASH HELL!" :guts:

But if they really wanted to convey foulest depravity, "DARK HORSE RELEASE!" would have gotten the point across. :carcus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
No offense, but whether there's a problem with that or not isn't up to you.

I know I speak for myself. I do remember at one point when someone claimed they were and assistant to the editor "unofficially" and that he used sources from around the net to help with translations. It was terrible to hear that but their translations can suck anyway so ... yea, they should just put Puella on payroll to do everything they can't.

Better? I didn't mean to imply they should steal from us, just that those weird translations are permanent you know.

puella

Berserk forever
Oburi said:
yea, they should just put Puella on payroll to do everything they can't.

Actually I often imagine myself working as an official translator for Berserk. And why not? Translation is my profession. It would be an honor for me. Hell, I'd probably do it even if I were paid a third of my usual rate. It'd be my most enjoyable job to date.

But I know it won't happen. I'm not even a US citizen. I guess they could hire me as a consultant to review the work, but it's an additional cost that I doubt they would be willing to spend.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Wally, Griff, Aaz, work out an official petition and let's get this going. If you guys can get Miura to answer our questions, you can get Dark Horse to consider having Puella aboard.

SK.net's Translations said:
Millennium Falcon arc
Chapter of Falconia
Soaring

Page 20

Ganishka: Hi ...gari
Ganishka: Hi... gari
Dark Horse Translation:
Li... ghd. .... Li...ghd.

I love the Dark Horse volumes. I just think they could do better with our beloved Berserk.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That's actually not incorrect. As I recall, we weren't sure at first, but what the chibishkas are saying is a garbled version of "Hikari" (ひかり / 光), which means light in Japanese. That ties into what Ganishka was seeking on the horizon, just one episode back from this scene, and all the stuff about light and darkness that's yet to come.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Oh yeah, I remember that... Now I feel silly. I guess I was a little confused. "Lighd" just sounds funny.

I remember there being a discussion about how he was saying "light... light," but I forgot the details. My bad.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Gobolatula said:
Wally, Griff, Aaz, work out an official petition and let's get this going. If you guys can get Miura to answer our questions, you can get Dark Horse to consider having Puella aboard.

As long as Puella would be down for it I don't see why the forum couldn't petition it.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
My only fear would be, would Dark Horse really allow one of their translators to hand out material for free on some website? Somehow, unless others picked up the torch we would lose one of our most beloved and consistent translators.

I guess I should use spoilers just in case someone doesn't know what big surprise is in store for them but:

Does Femto refer to Skull Knight as Knight of Skeleton? I'm guessing yes.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
dwarfkicker said:
I guess I should use spoilers just in case someone doesn't know what big surprise is in store for them but:

yessir.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
dwarfkicker said:
Gobolatula said:

Unfortunately, that's not Dark Horse's fault. I believe they were told to use that nomenclature by Berserk's publishers in Japan, but I could be wrong about that. Regardless, it's not up to them. Poor guy. :SK:

Top Bottom