I probably need glasses.

It sucks, I used to have brilliant long distance vision but it appears lately I'm slowly developing myopia, that is when I'm reading books and looking at the monitor there's no problems. Anything from more than 7 meters away is getting blurry.

I'm hoping certain members who need glasses, contacts or have had laser correction done can give me some advice to pros and cons on the matter. Don't mean it to sound vain but I don't want to change my personal image to wearing glasses regularly. I don't have anything against them at all of course... but look at my avatar and edit some glasses on. I don't think it'd work.

I feel for ya, I had that problem long ago. It's alot worse than you though, mine happened when I was 8. All of a sudden I couldn't see clearly past about a foot. I turned into a bat. Luckily, no screeching noises. I had glasses for almost a decade, hated them. They limited me so much. I then got contacts. They are great inventions. I leave them in for weeks at a time. I sleep and shower and everything in them. I forget I'm wearing them most of the time.

In my opinion, get contacts. Unless you can afford the laser surgery. Just make sure it's a reputable doctor of course. :isidro:

- C

CnC

Ad Oculos
I have terrible eyesight. I have -5.0 / -4.5 vision and have been regulated to contacts or glasses since 6th grade.

I probably have laser correction somewhere in my future but I admit I don't know all too much about it. I stick to soft contacts most of the time, and they're really easy to get used to. Of course, I tried hard contacts before that and nothing will prepare you for having hard plastic in your eye (so never do those).

Bad eyesight is just a lifestyle change. After a while it doesn't impact you nearly as bad as you think it would. Best of luck to ya.

Yes, all the best people have poor eyesight.

It usually means you're either getting smarter or sexier. In my case, it was both. :carcus: :casca:

Choosing to wear contacts and/or glasses is better than not when you should.

Obviously, if you don't want your physical appearence to change, contacts would be the way to go. Like CnC said, soft contacts are the greatest and there are various types to choose from. Some you can sleep in for months at a time, others.... not so much.
I use AcuVue2, and if I sleep in them more than twice, they start to irritate mine eyes. So, some nice glasses are a handy thing to have every now and then, just in case your eyes get too irritated.

It's not really a big deal, you know. I'm assuming you've passed the 5th grade, so no one should make fun of you anymore.

I had a tough time coming to terms that I needed a pair myself. Never really got into contacts but I probably should give it another chance if nothing than for when I'm playing basketball of football. Also, myopia does get worse with not wearing either glasses or lenses and once you start there might be a slight increase but then it sort of hits a plateau (the eye relaxes or so I'm told). The best way around this is probably increasing the intake of vitamin E.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
vlad said:
I had a tough time coming to terms that I needed a pair myself. Never really got into contacts but I probably should give it another chance if nothing than for when I'm playing basketball of football. Also, myopia does get worse with not wearing either glasses or lenses and once you start there might be a slight increase but then it sort of hits a plateau (the eye relaxes or so I'm told). The best way around this is probably increasing the intake of vitamin E.

But you look so good in glasses!
vlad said:
IMG_1735.jpg

I wear the same style but look way more dorky. Glasses aren't that bad, give em a shot. I have never tried contacts and never had the urge, I found a pair of glasses that look decent and am pretty satisfied. There is a pair out there that I'm sure would look fantastic on you Sparny boy!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I started having poor vision around the age of 7, and wore glasses from then until i was 19, when my dad, who worked at a big corporation, secured a deal to get me LASIK eye surgery done for a cheap price.

Funny story about that (not "ha ha" funny) :guts:

From what I remember, it was the summer before I started up Skullknight.net, coincidentally... Well, my older sister had eye surgery before me, kind of like a lab rat for the family, before we all followed suit. She had it, said it was painless and had no problems whatsoever.

She's pretty stupid, generally. Let me just clear the air on that subject right now.

Well, a few weeks later, I sat down in the surgery chair, leaned back, with 5 doctors surrounding me with instruments and goo to keep my eye lubricated, with metal tongs to hold my eyelids back (think A Clockwork Orange). It's a uh, pretty surreal experience to have your eye sliced open.

First, they sliced a crescent cut into my cornea with (I believe) a scalpel. Then, they used a suction device to peel back the cornea. At this point, my vision was just a watery mess, but I do remember seeing red twirling lights when they brought the laser down to reshape my eye.

I wouldn't call the procedure... painless, because what is pain but a chemical register. This was, to me, a surreal, unique and altogether scary sensation. You don't feel the cutting, but you feel a kind of unique pressure, that you were told beforehand WAS cutting. Then your vision becomes blurry and watery and.... you know your cornea is flappign in the breeze... I managed the first eye, with some squirming. But when they cut into the second eye, I literally passed out. I think my fight/flight response must be pretty pathetic in these sorts of medical situations... surrounded by doctors, I get a little nervous.

Anyway, they completed the procedure and for the next 3 months, I had really poor vision at night. Streetlights had distinct crcular halos around them, I was literally seeing things.

After a year or so, my vision became 20/20, but since it's been more than 7 years, it's honestly gone downhill. I see better when I wear my girlfriend's glasses. So... I may end up wearing glasses eventually anyway.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Well, a few weeks later, I sat down in the surgery chair, leaned back, with 5 doctors surrounding me with instruments and goo to keep my eye lubricated, with metal tongs to hold my eyelids back. It's a uh, pretty surreal experience to have your eye sliced open.

First, they sliced a crescent cut into my cornea with a (I believe) a scalpel. Then, they used a suction device to peel back the cornea. At this point, my vision was just a watery mess, but I do remember seeing red twirling lights when they brought the laser down to reshape my eye.

I wouldn't call the procedure... painless, because what is pain but a chemical register. This was, to me, a surreal, unique and altogether scary sensation. You don't feel the cutting, but you feel a kind of unique pressure, that you were told beforehand WAS cutting. Then your vision becomes blurry and watery and.... you know your cornea is flapping in the breeze... I managed the first eye, with some squirming. But when they cut into the second eye, I literally passed out. I think my fight/flight must be pretty pathetic in these sorts of medical situations... surrounded by doctors, I get a little nervous.

Anyway, they completed the procedure and for the next 3 months, I had really poor vision at night. Streetlights had distinct circular halos around them, I was literally seeing things.

After a year or so, my vision became 20/20, but since it's been more than 7 years, it's honestly gone downhill. I see better when I wear my girlfriend's glasses. So... I may end up wearing glasses eventually anyway.

Well, I was contemplating laser eye surgery... :griff:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I hear its a lot more advanced nowadays. Walters results may vary. :guts:
Well, this was a relatively advanced facility at the time, Emory of Atlanta, from what I remember. Admittedly they were probably pioneering the technology at the time so... I was like an adventerous Christopher Columbus or Neil Armstrong, paving the path to greatness for all you SHEEP! :badbone:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
Well, this was a relatively advanced facility at the time, Emory of Atlanta, from what I remember. Admittedly they were probably pioneering the technology at the time so... I was like an adventerous Christopher Columbus or Neil Armstrong, paving the path to greatness for all you SHEEP! :badbone:
How much did it cost at the time?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
How much did it cost at the time?
Like I said, I was barely an adult. My dad paid, but I know he got a good price through his company. I promise you it wasn't done in the back of a van, if that's what you're insinuating :puck:

Has anyone else here had LASIK?

I had Lasik done on my eyes about 3 years ago (I had had pretty poor vision since 2nd grade), and now my eyesight is only a little worse than 20/20 (not quite sure exactly how much better, but ALOT better). The only thing that sucked was having my eyes dry out constantly, where I would constantly have to use eyedrops. I did this for about 6 months, after which my eyes got accustomed to being constantly hydrated. I don't regret it. :guts:

P.S. Also, I don't how much it was since my dad payed for it (he was also getting the surgery himself, so I guess there may have been some discount involved or something).

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
Like I said, I was barely an adult. My dad paid, but I know he got a good price through his company. I promise you it wasn't done in the back of a van, if that's what you're insinuating :puck:

Has anyone else here had LASIK?
No, didnt mean that. I have needed glasses for a long time and I did have them while in the military but since I have been out of it (almost 4 years) I have not used anything. Well now I do have my glasses but I'd rather not wear any. Just trying to see how much it cost!

EDIT: Well using the power of the internet, this site here....
http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/cost.htm

Says that 3 percent of people have gotten this done are less then $1000!

So it may be a bit away for me. :judo:

I used to have great eyes, they suck now. I wear contacts, I've never had glasses. Recently I've been thinking about going for a Woody Allen look... Contacts bother me, bright lights especially. After reading Walt's story I won't be getting any surgery, they're getting bad again? I'd be pissed.

When my eyes first started going bad I had these horribly frustrating dreams. I just stumbled around unable to see what I was doing.

It's weird, I thought about making a thread like this a while back.

C said:
I leave them in for weeks at a time. I sleep and shower and everything in them. I forget I'm wearing them most of the time.

I hear that can be a big mistake.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
pippin22 said:
I used to have great eyes, they suck now. I wear contacts, I've never had glasses. Recently I've been thinking about going for a Woody Allen look... Contacts bother me, bright lights especially. After reading Walt's story I won't be getting any surgery, they're getting bad again? I'd be pissed.
Well like CnC said, this was a long time ago (1999), and advances have been made since then. The cost, likewise, has gone down over time. All in all, my vision did improve dramatically, and I wouldn't condemn the procedure. I'm just saying people should know what they're getting into — a really trippy, and not wholly "painless" procedure.

PS: Man, we must be REALLY bored, talking about eyesight on an internet forum. I bet I could make a thread about Beanie Babies and get as many posts :troll:

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
PS: Man, we must be REALLY bored, talking about eyesight on an internet forum. I bet I could make a thread about Beanie Babies and get as many posts :troll:
My mom used to buy like 5 to 6 happy meals from McDonalds when they started offering them. Friggon crazy fads.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: I probably need glasses / Happy Meals

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
My mom used to buy like 5 to 6 happy meals from McDonalds when they started offering them. Friggon crazy fads.
I was a Happy Meal addict as a kid. These days, I can't even stomach McDonald's food... But back then, I'm not sure if it was the toy association enhancing the flavor, or some kind of chemical (no doubt), but those burgers were the food of the gods.

When I went over to Paris, I had McDonald's for the first time in several years, and it wasn't half bad. I actually remember asking Aaz if we could stop off the train ride home to stop by a McDonald's we were passing, as if I were 6-years-old again. Pretty sure he said something like:
:miura: "We're almost home."
:judo: "But DAAAAAAAAD!!!!"

When I came back stateside, their food was awful again. Must be that special Parisian beef!

PS: Best Happy Meal toy? I think my favorite was a solid plastic Mario figure that had a spring attached to a suction cup. You pressed Mario down and a few seconds later, he would SPRING dangerously into the air and children's eye sockets. Pure awesome.

My eye doctor told me that you can have the procedure done again after a few years when your eyes get bad again. He has had his done and he says he can test his vision and it is slowly getting worse, just like everyone else. He says in a few years he would have it done again.

I suppose it is just like glasses or contacts. When it reaches that time, back for the laser. :isidro:

I thought about getting it done, but the prices are still up there for the most part. I see the $299 an eye ads around here, and I looked into it. Those places are not very reputable, so beware! :troll:

I have been told Dr. Wang, with Wang institutes is a very reputable lasik doctor, I might look into that some day soon.

Here is a link to his site: http://www.wangvisioninstitute.com/

Oh well, back to Guild Wars for me. :serpico:

- C

SaiyajinNoOuji

C said:
My eye doctor told me that you can have the procedure done again after a few years when your eyes get bad again. He has had his done and he says he can test his vision and it is slowly getting worse, just like everyone else. He says in a few years he would have it done again.

I suppose it is just like glasses or contacts. When it reaches that time, back for the laser. :isidro:

I thought about getting it done, but the prices are still up there for the most part. I see the $299 an eye ads around here, and I looked into it. Those places are not very reputable, so beware! :troll:

I have been told Dr. Wang, with Wang institutes is a very reputable lasik doctor, I might look into that some day soon.

Here is a link to his site: http://www.wangvisioninstitute.com/

Oh well, back to Guild Wars for me. :serpico:

- C

Back in high school, the best from McDonald's was the 29 cent hamburgers/ 39 cent cheeseburgers. I remember my friends and i just buying 20 bucks worth each and just sitting in his car eating.... :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: I probably need glasses / Happy Meals

Walter said:
When I came back stateside, their food was awful again. Must be that special Parisian beef!

Well actually there's likely some truth in that. McDonald's in France must comply with the endless amount of food rules and restrictions and whatnot we have here, and they've made a lot of efforts to stay on top of the fast food market. The meat is 100% French beef (and our cattle doesn't eat its own powderized dead), they get frequent sanitary inspections, etc.

I haven't had the opportunity to check myself, but I know several people that tasted US McDonald's and they all agree that it's somehow shittier over there (which I personally find ironic, I'd expect them to be the BEST). On the other hand, we only have dwarf-sized meals in comparison. No 1.5 litres drinks (biggest is 0.5) nor whatever other monstrosities you guys have access to.

C said:
My eye doctor told me that you can have the procedure done again after a few years when your eyes get bad again.

Yeah, in fact I think it always gets worse after a while, but you also can't get it done indefinitely. Just like people with a really bad vision can't get it done because their cornea should be cut too much and it'd just ruin their eyes.

As for the procedure, as far as I know it's still like Walter's experience. There's no physical pain, but it's not a pleasant sensation.

Note that I've always had hawk eyes myself, though after 10+ years of computer and ~8 years of saying I should get those special glasses that shield your eyes from weird rays and prevent them from getting tired too quickly and not doing it, I feel I'm developing some symptoms similar to a very light astigmatism, apparently it could be due to optical muscles fatigue, some shit like that. I blame it on SK.net. :troll:

Bah, White Castle surpassed Mickey D's as the food of the Gods long, long ago. It's about insane quantity these days, not insane portions- rather twenty small burgers than 1 large one, plus wonderfully generic sides like Onion Chips and Fish Nibblers.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: I probably need glasses. / Burgers.

bph said:
It's about insane quantity these days, not insane portions- rather twenty small burgers than 1 large one, plus wonderfully generic sides like Onion Chips and Fish Nibblers.
This is madness! I bet you consider those worthless, insubstantial Krystal biscuits "burgers," dontcha? DontCHA?! Why I outta... With that reasoning, I bet you choose to play as Zerg more often in StarCraft too. You hive-minded ... nincompoot!

The king of fast-food burgers is Hardee's, who won the battle years ago with the Thickburger. It's so tasty, so ridiculously high-calorie, and expensive ($4.99 for the best one, and that's just the burger) even I, on my pure junk food diet, can only stomach eating 2-3 a year. Which probably means they're losing a lot of money, but they're the clear winners by principle of flavor.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Re: I probably need glasses. / Burgers/ The ZERG!

Walter said:
With that reasoning, I bet you choose to play as Zerg more often in StarCraft too. You hive-minded ... nincompoot!

Hey I liked the zerg! I just got to the stage where the chrysalis is going to hatch...
wait..

KERRIGAN!?
NOOOOOOOOO!

what were we talking about again?

Top Bottom