Athens

I'm surprised no one has yet to mention anything about it, but to me this is something worth watching TV for.

Anyone have any favourite sports to watch when they are on? Any interest in the Olympics whatsoever?

Sparnage said:
I'm surprised no one has yet to mention anything about it, but to me this is something worth watching TV for.

Anyone have any favourite sports to watch when they are on? Any interest in the Olympics whatsoever?

Somewhat but I'm not too interested. Only seen the swimming part whatever it's officialy called.

But I can't wait for the U.S. Basketball team to get their asses kick because they lacked fundamentals while European teams concentrate heavily on learning the fundamentals.

Haven't got into Basketball much at all, maybe I should check it out this time.
I like gymnastics, Australians aren't that good at it but it's interesting to watch and some of the females nice firm body's in skin type clothes are very pleasent on the eyes.

Sparnage said:
I like gymnastics, Australians aren't that good at it but it's interesting to watch and some of the females nice firm body's in skin type clothes are very pleasent on the eyes.

Agreed. ;D

So far my prediction is coming true the U.S. Basketball team is getting their asses kick by Puerto Rico. Oh and if anyone points out yes I know that Puerto Rico is not a European Team but either way they also know the fundamentals.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
ZODDGUTSU said:
So far my prediction is coming true the U.S. Basketball team is getting their asses kick by Puerto Rico. Oh and if anyone points out yes I know that Puerto Rico is not a European Team but either way they also know the fundamentals.

The real reason why the US basketball team lost was because they suck. Not because they didn't know the fundamentals.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The real reason why the US basketball team lost was because they suck. Not because they didn't know the fundamentals.

Are you saying they suck because they have "crappy" players? If so then I don't agree. They have good players on that team they may not have Shaq but they still have a good amount of recongnizeble players.

The U.S. Basketball doesn't suck their just not as good as the other Basketball teams. :p

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
About the whole US basketball team sucking big time, wonder if they will reconsider what they pay them. Its only fair. They lose the BIGGEST games of their lives, why not get a fucking pay cut.... or is it the fact that they dont care that they lose cause they are not getting payed for it? wow, they are awesome...

Anyways, Im keeping my eye out for Wrestling and Javelin.... my 2 former glories... but I still do the wrestling part so yea... ;D

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
JeffC said:
I enjoy watching olympic "WTF Taekwondo"

Damn straight. Taekwondo all the way. For all those of you who think Taekwondo sucks, lets see you get in the match and kick like these guys can.

DemonX said:
Damn straight. Taekwondo all the way. For all those of you who think Taekwondo sucks, lets see you get in the match and kick like these guys can.

I think Taekwondo sucks, I also did it for 5 years when I was younger and was a under 14 victorian state champion in the red belt sparring division. Before that Blue belt board breaking champion (not impressive, the wood was fairly thin).
During my later time there I stayed simply to get into more championships, I knew the self defence would be worth dick in a real fight where it mattered but my teacher told me I should be aiming to go for the Sydney 2000 Olympics, and though now I don't believe probably couldn't have the idea wasn't enough to continue learing such fighting tactics.

Bruce Lee spoke of such martial arts as to traditional, look nice and follow teach people mindless patterns to follow to prove you are a better martial artist are fucking useless where it counts. It wasn't hard to figure out Taekwondo is like that after being around it for that period of time.

Now have recently started up learning an effective form of Kickboxing made to be effective in not only the competitions but sets you up for useful moves you would find in real life. No belts, no gradings you just get better and learn at your skill level, because I knew black belts my age in my age group at Taekwondo and still sucked, that shouldn't be what learning martial arts is about.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Sparnage said:
I think Taekwondo sucks, I also did it for 5 years when I was younger and was a under 14 victorian state champion in the red belt sparring division. Before that Blue belt board breaking champion (not impressive, the wood was fairly thin).
During my later time there I stayed simply to get into more championships, I knew the self defence would be worth dick in a real fight where it mattered but my teacher told me I should be aiming to go for the Sydney 2000 Olympics, and though now I don't believe probably couldn't have the idea wasn't enough to continue learing such fighting tactics.

Bruce Lee spoke of such martial arts as to traditional, look nice and follow teach people mindless patterns to follow to prove you are a better martial artist are fucking useless where it counts. It wasn't hard to figure out Taekwondo is like that after being around it for that period of time.

Now have recently started up learning an effective form of Kickboxing made to be effective in not only the competitions but sets you up for useful moves you would find in real life. No belts, no gradings you just get better and learn at your skill level, because I knew black belts my age in my age group at Taekwondo and still sucked, that shouldn't be what learning martial arts is about.

I second this

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
I've recently taken up TKD and consider it a good counterpoint to what the Karate I took years ago taught me. . .

At present, I am theoreticaly dependent on untested agility to deal with heavy attacks.
My upper body techniques are pretty precise, but I'd be lucky to place a kick within 6 inches of where I want it. 
I think I could spam light attacks fairly decently, but I don't know if I'm capable of hitting with real power in a pinch.  Especialy with my light build...

And the olympics? Why would anyone want to watch a bunch of people they'll never meet play sports when they could play themselves?

Majin Tenshi said:
And the olympics?  Why would anyone want to watch a bunch of people they'll never meet play sports when they could play themselves?

Probably for the same reason that somebody might read (and even respond to) a entire thread about a subject he finds silly and uninteresting.

M

medievald00d

well, i trained under a master who used to be a real fighter....you know, the kind of brawly guy that gets into bar fights and stuff....well, he wasnt too strict on discipline, but he did teach the basics to self defense.

I've also trained under a guy who was raised in the shaolin temples, one of the 3 temples in china where martial arts originated.

What have I learned? Pretty much everything Sparnage said...

TKD is pretty useless in fighting. Period. Hell, its a sport. On the plus side, its one hell of a good exercise.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Sparnage said:

Why? The Olympic$ in Athens have about as much integrity as Fear Factor. Nothing against Fear Factor. The Olympics and what they stood for are ancient history, what we have today is the biggest fucking circus in history; complete with sideshows and freaks galore.

I actually recommend switching to Fear Factor, at least it’s honest.

-Griff

P.S. This isn't my regular out of the blue negativity. =) I have a history with the Olympics, I'll try to dig up an editorial I wrote on the subject... which got a former Olympic competitor angry enough to threaten me. ;D

SaiyajinNoOuji

"Griffith No More!" said:
Why? The Olympic$ in Athens have about as much integrity as Fear Factor. Nothing against Fear Factor. The Olympics and what they stood for are ancient history, what we have today is the biggest fucking circus in history; complete with sideshows and freaks galore.

I actually recommend switching to Fear Factor, at least it’s honest.

-Griff

P.S. This isn't my regular out of the blue negativity. =) I have a history with the Olympics, I'll try to dig up an editorial I wrote on the subject... which got a former Olympic competitor angry enough to threaten me. ;D

Circus or not I would still love to compete in them.... :-[

Majin Tenshi said:
I've recently taken up TKD and consider it a good counterpoint to what the Karate I took years ago taught me. . .

At present, I am theoreticaly dependent on untested agility to deal with heavy attacks.
My upper body techniques are pretty precise, but I'd be lucky to place a kick within 6 inches of where I want it. 

They teach you to kick in places that are hard even for people that train regularly, like head kicks are hard for even the most experienced. I would probably try and kick around the torso in a fight if the opportunity came but I am pretty confident on the power behind them, but still it's not always a smart thing to do. The best place in a real fight to kick would have to be the legs themselves, easy and quick but unless things are different over where you are they don't teach kicking under the belt, and thats just bollocks.

The stances for punching and kicking aren't overly effective (kicks can leave you off balence, punches can leave you open) I later figure out in life the way to get power in punches is to put your whole body into it from the hips to the feet and I don't remember ever being told that in TKW. The way they set you up for real fights is far from real and the self defence they teach you if you are in certain situations is just a joke.  I really don't know how different it is over where you are. I will agree that it is fairly similar to Karate.

I think I could spam light attacks fairly decently, but I don't know if I'm capable of hitting with real power in a pinch.  Especialy with my light build...

Bruce was probably lighter than both of us...

"Griffith No More!" said:
Why? The Olympic$ in Athens have about as much integrity as Fear Factor. Nothing against Fear Factor. The Olympics and what they stood for are ancient history

Why Griff, I thought you would be one of the people who support such a great get together, I mean its the elite of so many different sports all coming together to compete in a ceremony that only happens once every 4 years, I think it's pretty good.

what we have today is the biggest fucking circus in history; complete with sideshows and freaks galore.

I thought that was the special Olympics;

Cartman: Dude, I can't believe they exploit handicap people like this, I mean making them compete against eachother just for our amusement....

Naaa thats unfair to joke about, the one legged highjump is incredible to watch. 

Please do, I am interested to see this.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Sparnage said:
The stances for punching and kicking aren't overly effective (kicks can leave you off balence, punches can leave you open) I later figure out in life the way to get power in punches is to put your whole body into it from the hips to the feet and I don't remember ever being told that in TKW. The way they set you up for real fights is far from real and the self defence they teach you if you are in certain situations is just a joke.  I really don't know how different it is over where you are. I will agree that it is fairly similar to Karate.

Bruce was probably lighter than both of us...
I believe they've mentioned a bit of puting your whole body into a punch where I'm going, but they haven't bugged me much about it since my technique is leagues above what they expect of someone with such a low rank.

My point being that I don't reflexively put my body into it. With my light build I need to, and at least one of the instructers believes the focus is power.

I think a major misunderstanding about martial arts is that they teach the movements you use in a fight... thats probably not the best way to put it though. Consider when you watch sparing, they don't keep their arms at their sides, they aren't in a clean front stance, ect. The movements one practices in martial arts are exagerations.
They teach you to kick in places that are hard even for people that train regularly, like head kicks are hard for even the most experienced. I would probably try and kick around the torso in a fight if the opportunity came but I am pretty confident on the power behind them, but still it's not always a smart thing to do.
However, if you only practiced kicking at torso height, it would effectively be your limit. In a fight, a torso kick would be as much risk to your balance as a head kick is. Hey, the only practical application for crecent kicks is screwing up your knee, but doing something that aquard will help your balance.

do we need a thread split?

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Eh you guys are too practical. In a real fucking fight you wouldnt kick the guy in the fucking head unless your extremely fast or his head is at the hight of your dick. Its also just a sport.
Just as in wrestling, you wouldn't start off a street fight in the two guys locking up, would you? No! You would punch the guy right in his fucking face!

Bruce Lee spoke of such martial arts as to traditional, look nice and follow teach people mindless patterns to follow to prove you are a better martial artist are fucking useless where it counts.

Now seriously, what the hell does bruce lee have to do with Taikwondo. And when was I talking about tradition. I responded to

I enjoy watching olympic "WTF Taekwondo

WTF Taekwondo is not "What the fuck" Taekwondo. Its World Taikwondo Federation, which puts togeather fights world wide and such. Traditional teachings is ITF, which completly sucks, and cant help you whatsoever. WTF Taekwondo is the actully fighting part.

If I sound angry im sorry. It just sounds like you guys are describing bullshit taikwondo ways of teaching, like the traditional way, which is 90% bullshit. I have seen people kick and so fast that if you blink you would miss it (literally), but of course that would be WTF style. I have learned from an ITF taikwondo school long ago but i just couldn't swallow the concept of it. But, if somthing you do in ITF or WTF wouldnt help you in real life, instead of seeing taikwando as usless, maybe ask yourself if your doing it right? Or maybe, the school instructer is full of bullshit? I have been to 4 schools, and the last 3 did not know nearly as much as the next guy.

M

medievald00d

I have seen people kick and so fast that if you blink you would miss it (literally)

maybe, but if you stop to think about it, with a few exceptions, nearly every kick can be countered by taking a step in any direction.

Or maybe, the school instructer is full of bullshit? I have been to 4 schools, and the last 3 did not know nearly as much as the next guy.
I would say most instructors teach some things well, and teach other things poorly.

My current instructor however, is going back to china to train during the summer. In the Shaolin Temple. TKD pretty much copied Shaolin Kung Fu, so i know most of what TKD has. Trust me, its pretty useless in any kind of real fight.

I prefer southern style kung fu. Southern Style relies on solid footing on the ground and using your hands as weapons only (i.e joint locks, throws, punches, etc).

What i really hate is when Martial Art teachers will brag about how powerful their martial art is, and how they can kill someone in one hit, and all that bullshit. From what i've seen, most of that bullshit comes from TKD and hapkido.

Sorry for the long post in advance.

Majin Tenshi said:
I believe they've mentioned a bit of puting your whole body into a punch where I'm going, but they haven't bugged me much about it since my technique is leagues above what they expect of someone with such a low rank. 

My point being that I don't reflexively put my body into it.  With my light build I need to, and at least one of the instructers believes the focus is power. 

I think a major misunderstanding about martial arts is that they teach the movements you use in a fight... thats probably not the best way to put it though.  Consider when you watch sparing, they don't keep their arms at their sides, they aren't in a clean front stance, ect.  The movements one practices in martial arts are exagerations. 

Yes they do, I can't pretend I know all about how Taekwondo is over there but I remember it very well when I did it and I even learned from the highest black belt in Australia (type in google "jack rozinsky australia" and it will probably come up with my old teacher who was the only black belt 6 stripe) but still I can now see so many flaws in what they taught its not funny.

I do not speak just talking about Taekwondo though, it goes for many martial arts and how they go about teaching martial arts. A martial art that performs step by step patterns to teach you how to fight for example  should not be allowed in any martial art that is serious about actually learning to fight. I could put it in my own words but its better to use quote the man himself Bruce from his book "Tao of jeet kun do" (14.50 US I might add ;D) talking about what he calls "organised despair"

Bruce.jpg

"Each man belongs to a style which caims to posses truth to the exclusion of all other styles. These styles become institutes with their explanations of the "way", dissecting and isolating the harmony of firmness and gentleness, establishing rhythmic forms as the particular state of their techniques.

Most systems of martial art accumulate a "fancy mess" that distorts and distracts them from the reality of combat which is simple and direct.

Set patterns, incapable of adaptability, of pliability only offer a better cage. Truth is outside of all patterns.

Forms are vain repetitions which offer an orderly and beautiful escape from self knowledge with an alive opponent.

Accumulation is self enclosing resistance and flowery techniques strengthen the resistance. In martial arts cultivation there must be a sense of freedom. A conditioned mind is never a free mind

If any style teaches you a method of fighting, then you might be able to fight according to the limit of that method, but that is not actually fighting.
If you meet the unconventional attack, such as one delivered with broken rhythm, with your chosen patterns of rhythmical classical blocks, your defence and counter attack will always be lacking pliability and aliveness.

How can one respond to the totality with partial, fragmentary pattern?

Truth is relationship with the opponent; constantly moving, living, never static.
Classical forms dull your creativity, condition and freeze your sense of freedom. You will no longer "be," but "do," without sensitivity.

There is plenty more but I didnt want to go on for too long. He seems to speak of patterns most of all but I think that is one of many things that are wrong with such martial arts. Sparring without contact for example will set you in a routine and leave you unprepared for a real life situation, sparring against people who fight in the unrealistic style you are taught in is not helpful.
Learning self defence with only one or two ways to follow the steps to get out of the danger in certain situations is definitely a bad thing (particularly when they such in the first place).
Learning how to kick in ways that leave you off balance and punches that leave you open is not a good thing, and not learning any important parts to aim for like the temple, throat and other dangeriously vulnerable areas were not dared to be taught. This is what I remember of Taekwondo and many other martial arts I looked into.

However, if you only practiced kicking at torso height, it would effectively be your limit.  In a fight, a torso kick would be as much risk to your balance as a head kick is.  Hey, the only practical application for crecent kicks is screwing up your knee, but doing something that aquard will help your balance. 

I will agree on this, but too many people think they can kick well enough to hit around the torso which can be a dangerious mistake and it happens, afterall martial arts like Taekwondo are 30% punches and 70% kicks.

If you looked into other martal arts you were getting into before joining, and you really think this is the best way to improve your fighting after such then I suppose that is that.

do we need a thread split?

Meh, too late now. Griffith will probably get it started up again when he finds his Olympic letter to the editor. ;D

DemonX said:
Eh you guys are too practical. In a real fucking fight you wouldnt kick the guy in the fucking head unless your extremely fast or his head is at the hight of your dick. Its also just a sport.
Just as in wrestling, you wouldn't start off a street fight in the two guys locking up, would you? No! You would punch the guy right in his fucking face!

Now seriously, what the hell does bruce lee have to do with Taikwondo. And when was I talking about tradition.

Yes it is just a sport, but you said this naive dribble;

Which lead to what we are talking about now. And you couldn't be more wrong about wrestling and Grappling, if you get out a cage fighting video you will realise that the grapplers often beat the people from most martial arts related to any striking.
Oh and you are full of shit about thinking you saw people kick and so fast that if you blink you would miss it (literally).  ::) Now in case you haven't noticed this isn't about what you were talking about originally anymore so if you don't have anything to say about the new current topic....

Top Bottom