Berserk Figs by Todd McFarlane

As a toy collector, and one that has bought many McFarlane toys, I hope he never gets his grubby hands on the Berserk license. Todd's toys look ok, but lack articulation, and a majority break on their way out of the package. I've been quite happy with the AOW figures, I just wish they'd make more.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
FEMric said:
I think it would be a great idea if Todd McFarlane made a Berserk Fig Series!!!!  Am I alone??????  Do you think he would do a good job or change the characters into a crap McFarlane version?  Or even change the characters into an even darker McFarlane version?

I personally own his best fig 12" Mandarin Spawn :chomp:

About 5/6 years ago, I actually got the very same idea, and went as far as submitting it to Spawn.com. Now, I wouldn't be interested in any kind of crossover
nor would I want to see any alteration whatsoever (what for?), just their take at
different Berserk characters. I got a few members interested, but was eventually told Berserk was just too good for Mc Farlane to touch. But honestly, by the looks of their different medieval spawns characters, you can tell they could do a hell of a job though. As for Kaiyodo, I'm with Aaz and Stiler on that one, they would do very good too.

Tenro

...You tit.
Ooh, I have to say that I'm on the fence about this... at first. I remember the great designs that pop up from McFarlane Studios, some of the impressive figure/statue hybrids I had.

Then... I think of Berserk. The themes, designs, and feel of Berserk; nope, I just don't so, guys. It wouldn't work, and I'm not so confident in McFarlane Studios these days.

All of you that keep talking about mcfarlane "mcfarlaning" them up, you do realize he ONLY does that with his own liscenses???

He has sports lines, movie lines, anime lines, and he does NOT "mcfarlne" them up like he does with his own designs/concepts.

If he had berserk he wouldn't make Guts some kind of mutant/zombie/disfigured guy...he'd just make him look like Guts.

I have a few mcfarlane figures of Metal Gear solid characters, and I have to say, they are awesome. I seriously couldn't imagine them being made any more true to the original concepts. If the berserk figures would made as well as the figures I have, they would be great.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Uhm, I'm pretty sure we have all seen that, haha. But yes, they are excelent.

I still stand by my opinion that McFarlane figures would do an excelent job with a Berserk line. Maybe someone should send them an email or start a petition?

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Aazealh said:
Hahah, no.

Why not? Maybe you wouldn't like figures made by Todd McFarlane, but many others in this topic have shown interest or said they would buy them if made. Plus it would spread awareness of Berserk, and possibly attract new fans and a larger community around the manga. How else is the McFarlane company going to get the idea to make Berserk figures if fans don't take the liberty to make open suggestions? Besides, McFarlane has definetly shown adaptability and versatility in the statues/figures they make, considering the line of figures range from fantasy based dragons and Spawn models to sport stars and movie characters. I think they would do a fine job.

But, of course, everyone has their own opinion.

I would have to see one to make the decision if I liked it or not. I think Art of War and other current companies that make the statues and figures are doing a good job as it is anyway.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:

Use your head for a minute and you'll know. Or you can go ahead and start a petition, your choice. As for suggesting it to McFarlane, if you'd taken the time to read the thread you'd know that people did that already, see Oltobaz' post among others.

IsolatioN said:
many others in this topic have shown interest or said they would buy them if made.

I don't care.

IsolatioN said:
Plus it would spread awareness of Berserk, and possibly attract new fans and a larger community around the manga.

I don't care either. I'm not particularly interested in attracting Spawn fans to Berserk, assuming it would be the case (pure speculation on your side).

IsolatioN said:
How else is the McFarlane company going to get the idea to make Berserk figures if fans don't take the liberty to make open suggestions?

How do they get the idea to make other products? Anyway they're not going to make Berserk figures or statues because they won't get the license. But really, please make a petition, I'll be waiting here for it to succeed. Once you're done maybe you could start some "bring the Berserk PS2 game to the USA" and "make a second season the for the anime" petitions too. What I'm getting at here is that decisions like these aren't taken because of a handful of fans. Now you do what you want with your free time, but don't say you weren't told afterwards.

Androoh those model kits are really nifty. I'd personally like to see Nirasawa or Takeya sculpt a model kit. Me and Direct were just recently talking about how cool that would be.

Aazealh said:
How do they get the idea to make other products? Anyway they're not going to make Berserk figures or statues because they won't get the license. But really, please make a petition, I'll be waiting here for it to succeed. Once you're done maybe you could start some "bring the Berserk PS2 game to the USA" and "make a second season the for the anime" petitions too. What I'm getting at here is that decisions like these aren't taken because of a handful of fans. Now you do what you want with your free time, but don't say you weren't told afterwards.

Uhh, Mcfarlane has made figures before becuase many people suggested/wanted them...

Like robocop, the Marine hicks figure to go along with the aliens, etc...

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Aazealh said:
Use your head for a minute and you'll know. Or you can go ahead and start a petition, your choice. As for suggesting it to McFarlane, if you'd taken the time to read the thread you'd know that people did that already, see Oltobaz' post among others.

Hmm.. Guess I must not be using my head correctly (hehe) because I still can't see what negative responses making a suggestion could have. Yes, I read Oltobaz' post, and he said he "got a few members interested"(note, though, I am unsure exactly what he meant by this, if it was fans or the company itself). Oh yeah, and his was the only post in this topic which had commented about making a suggestion to McFarlane other then mine, so I don't know what "others" you speak of unless there was a previous topic about the same issue.

Aazealh said:
I don't care.

Well it doesn't really matter if you care, I care or the pope cares, individually.. It matters if McFarlane Toys gets enough positive response from customers as a whole who support the idea to open up a new line.

Aazealh said:
I don't care either. I'm not particularly interested in attracting Spawn fans to Berserk, assuming it would be the case (pure speculation on your side).

Yes, while it is pure speculation on my side that it would attract new fans to Berserk, I don't see why you blatantly assume it would bring only Spawn fans. McFarlane has done other manga and anime figures, and since the majority of fans of one manga or anime are the fans of another.. It wouldn't be much of a difference. Albeit I must admit there would be more newcomers to the series asking repeated questions, I don't see how it could have a negative effect on Berserk in the long run. Not to mention that some people just like collecting figures for the sake of collecting, and may buy Berserk figures just because they look cool.
In this aspect its both speculation on your side and on mine, so not much debate there...

Aazealh said:

My question exactly. How do they get their ideas? A quick google search turned up nothing. While I'm not saying that the company relies solely on the feedback or suggestions of customers(marketing wise it would be a real danger and pain in the ass) but I am sure that if they have any business sense whats-so-ever, if enough people support a given idea they will do it. enough support for something = more cash income = bigger pay checks, or thats how I see it. Stiler posted a good example of how McFarlane has listened to its customers in the past.

This comment also brings to mind something Walter posted(on a completely un-related note) in the "Do girls poop?" topic, post #15. Pretty much what I'm getting at is people put down ideas, while not giving forth effort to expand to new horizons and broaden the scope, or develop a bigger interest for something (in this case, the Berserk manga). Of course, this debate is futile since the possibility of McFarlane acquiring the license is slim, and I know that. But things won't ever get anywhere with people just saying "no it won't work."

I never said I wanted the Berserk PS2 game brought to USA, and I never said I wanted a second season of the anime. I think those are fine as they are(although I wouldn't dislike it if the PS2 game came over seas, but I'm content without it.). I simply want an easier way for us fans to be able to collect neat Berserk merchandise without going through the hassle of foreign money transactions and paying as much as AOW is charging for their products. Petitions have been successfull in the past, and I really don't see the harm in giving one a go. It seems like many people don't wish to "share" berserk with others, and like to keep it as their own secret little "precious thing". thats their problem, I guess...

Now, I am not trying to start anything with you Aazealh, and I understand and respect your opinion. Just a small friendly debate. :troll:

Well, as Aazealh pointed out there have many, many petitions for the Berserk PS2 game and for a second season of the anime that did not succeed. I think if they were to start a Berserk line of merchandise just based on fans, it would have to be a hell of a lot of people and I don't see where all these people would come from. A few suggestions and a petition here and there isn't going to make them do it, now if they had millions of letters,messages,email and things flooding in then yes I can see it happening but I don't think there is enough people that want this, that will make them consider it.

Personally though, I don't want to see Berserk up there with Aliens, spawn, and all that other stuff, it's not that I don't want to share it with other people its just I love Berserk for what it is, not because it is some huge franchise of cool products,etc. I believe they have enough to satisfy the current fan-base as it is.

m3rz said:
Androoh those model kits are really nifty. I'd personally like to see Nirasawa or Takeya sculpt a model kit. Me and Direct were just recently talking about how cool that would be.

Yeah, I only came across that link recently so I can only apologise for regurgitating the old info. My personal favourite model out of the Berserk models on that site is the one of Griffith on his horse holding his sword up high.

My least favourite one has to be the one of Casca, there is something a little too 'sweet' about the facial expression. That's not the Casca I know and love! [Fierce and pouty, certainly]

I think the Zodd model is also a little too thin, or perhaps I always just envisage Zodd with longer hair...

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
That's fine, we all make mistakes :) If you want to see a discussion about the Griffith on horseback, this topic (http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=5512.0) is a good place to go. I agree, on that page it's probably my favorite. I'm not vary satisfied with many of the Casca statues. Maybe I'm just picky or maybe I should see it in person before I judge, but they never really look too nice like the Guts or Griffith statues, imo. But thats off topic :p

Ahh yes, thanks for the great link, IsolatioN. :)

I'd really love to get my hands on one of those GOH statues. I can see those getting sold out fast though.

Back on the topic though, I have to go with Zelz in as much as not wanting Berserk to become too overly exposed and known of - since I like being part of this 'niche' and there would be the standard influx of newcomers asking old questions repeatedly.

However, as Aazealh stated it wouldn't necessarily affect Berserk as a whole too much despite my statement above.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Stiler said:
Uhh, Mcfarlane has made figures before becuase many people suggested/wanted them...

Where's your source on that? Like an official statement saying they made it solely because of spontaneous fan request? It's not that I don't believe you, but I'd like to see it by myself and in details. Thanks. And to add a figure to an existing line of products which has a strong fanbase among confirmed customers isn't like starting a new line altogether. Anyway like I said, you guys can go make a petition and come back here when it's successful, with so "many" people behind you it shouldn't take long.

IsolatioN said:
Hmm.. Guess I must not be using my head correctly (hehe) because I still can't see what negative responses making a suggestion could have.

Guess you really don't yeah, given the length of your reply. And where did I write anything about negative responses? I just see it as currently useless and injudicious.

IsolatioN said:
Oh yeah, and his was the only post in this topic which had commented about making a suggestion to McFarlane other then mine, so I don't know what "others" you speak of unless there was a previous topic about the same issue.

How about you search for more then? It's been thought of several times in the past, not just here but on other boards, including McFarlane related forums.

IsolatioN said:
Well it doesn't really matter if you care, I care or the pope cares, individually.. It matters if McFarlane Toys gets enough positive response from customers as a whole who support the idea to open up a new line.

Sure it matters if I care because that's what you were using to try to justify what you said to me, like it gave the idea some legitimacy. Also, since you're apparently willing to make your suggestion look realistic, tell me how many thousands of people exactly have shown interest in this? Do you know how many figures need to be sold before making them becomes profitable for a company this big? Ah, and again, McFarlane isn't going to open a line of Berserk products just because they get suggestions. They need a license and at least a seemingly open niche to do that.

IsolatioN said:
Yes, while it is pure speculation on my side that it would attract new fans to Berserk, I don't see why you blatantly assume it would bring only Spawn fans.

So you're too dull to see the sarcasm in talking about Spawn fans or are you just ignoring it on purpose? You can extend what I said to any fans if you want.

IsolatioN said:
Albeit I must admit there would be more newcomers to the series asking repeated questions, I don't see how it could have a negative effect on Berserk in the long run.

I remember saying I didn't care. The vague and hypothetic hope of drawing more people to Berserk isn't much of a justification for trying to get a popular collectibles manufacturer in the USA to make figures, that's all there is to it. It may sound cool and selfless on a forum, but you don't tell a company to make themed figures because it might bring new readers to the original series. It's actually the opposite of what they want (readers of the series to buy their products because they're themed).

IsolatioN said:
My question exactly. How do they get their ideas? A quick google search turned up nothing.

Yeah, well the point was that they don't rely on people's suggestions so much as on commercial calculations and opportunities. There are members of SK.net that work in this industry, and they'll confirm to you that in general nobody cares. It's pretty funny to me that you did a google search on the subject to try to bring some credibility to your idea.

IsolatioN said:
This comment also brings to mind something Walter posted(on a completely un-related note) in the "Do girls poop?" topic, post #15.

Oh, great reference here, really. I think you should ask Walter's opinion on your present idea to make a petition to McFarlane, you won't be disappointed. Anyway, if you know the "debate" is futile, why waste people's time arguing about it? Basically you're agreeing with what I said: there isn't nearly enough people interested to catch their attention, they have close to no chance to get a license, the market for Berserk collectibles isn't an easy niche for them, etc. Right? So what's your point? That there's always a chance no matter the odds? That's ground-breaking news.

IsolatioN said:
I simply want an easier way for us fans to be able to collect neat Berserk merchandise without going through the hassle of foreign money transactions and paying as much as AOW is charging for their products.

Aww, how cute. Wasn't it to bring more fans to Berserk, though? Or was that just a hypocritical statement? Still, you're fighting for all the fans, how noble. Also, AOW products were released in the USA by Toycom for a couple of years, but ultimately the line was abandoned. Probably because there was a too high demand. In the end, if what motivates you is dissatisfaction with AOW, why don't you start a petition so they would change what you think needs to be, uh? Wouldn't that be easier and make more sense, as well as being more likely to yield any concrete result?

Then there's the issue of the quality and attention put into their products by AOW as opposed to McFarlane, with the Exclusive versions and all for example. I'm not going to discuss that with you, but I'm positive that a good amount of collectors would rather stick to AOW in spite of their defaults.

IsolatioN said:
Petitions have been successfull in the past, and I really don't see the harm in giving one a go. It seems like many people don't wish to "share" berserk with others, and like to keep it as their own secret little "precious thing". thats their problem, I guess...

What petitions were successful exactly? Because that's why I told you about the PS2 game and the anime. Like I said earlier, if you want to make your petition just go ahead and make it, and don't post here until you've got some result to show me. I'm sure the "many" people that support this idea will impress McFarlane to the point that they'll lobby Hakusensha to get a license. Writing 2000 lines here "won't ever get anywhere", so since you've worded your convictions I think it's time to put them in application and demonstrate the validity of your assertions.

As for sharing Berserk with others, honestly and considering the number of idiots that know about it already, I don't see how more "fans" would make things worse.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
IsolatioN said:
Yes, I read Oltobaz' post, and he said he "got a few members interested"(note, though, I am unsure exactly what he meant by this, if it was fans or the company itself).

I submitted the idea to members of Spawn.com, meaning fans, as I was interested in getting a few opinions. I didn't really expect much to come out of this, as it is pretty obvious they wouldn't pursue such a project without a very important fanbase, meaning an actual market. Who's to say what will happen five/ten years from today,
but as of right now, a petition wouldn't really serve any purpose.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Very well, then :) I really don't feel like debating this anymore, and to be quite honest you do have me in a tight spot on a few of the matters, haha. Well I guess you have your opinion and I have mine. Ahh well, guess I can only dream.

50YEN

Pegasus Ryuseiken!!!!!
Not to complicate things more..

I personally think Mcfarlane would do a Horrible job with Berserk. His work for what he does is not bad but for anime/manga styled figures the man should just stay away. The man has already had his shot at a number of japanese licenses then, Look at his 2 series of Anime figures from back in the day. They were for the most part, crap and further proof that US companies cant sculpt Japanese styled characters worth shit. Mcfarlane Vash was NOTHING compared to the Kaiyodo Vash and just came off like a poor knockoff when compared to Kaiyodo's. Todd's Kaneda and Bike was crap too and although it's cheaper than Bandai's Popynica Kaneda and Bike, Todd's version would probably make you puke and save up for the Popynica.

If you guys want Berserk Action Figures. There are only 2 companies on this planet that would do it right. And AOW is NOT one of them.

Kaiyodo and Max Factory.

Max Factory has shown us with the Guyver Line and Capcom Fighting Jam Trading figures that they know what an Action Figure should be. They have shown that they are masters of Symetrical Articulation and Stylized "mono shaft" style articulation. Making their figures fully articulated and beautiful at the same time. They probably wouldn't be as durable as AOW's action figures but they would surpass them in every other aspect.

Kaiyodo, well these guys are just incredible and with Action Figure God Katsuhisa Yamaguchi on their side. man, these guys are probably more qualified than even Max Factory. There is no need for me to mention the countless achievements this company has under their belt. Incredible figures from Hokuto No Ken, Evangelion, Tenjho Tenge, Dead or Alive, Trigun, GaoGaiGar, Getter Robo, the list goes on. All stuff this company does is pretty much an Act of God. They may not be the favorite among fans of symetrical style articulation but there is no denying that these guys are the head of the artistry of toys. Esp with their new Revolver Joint (stylized symetrical) figures coming out later this year and Raoh and Kokuoh 200X set coming in Next month, Makes you wonder why the hell AOW still has the license..

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
phaerois said:
Berserk Figures by Todd McFarlane?
U gotta be kidding me if this shit really happend...

Don't worry; the chances of him acquiring the license is slim to none.

Actually there really is no chance, unless Todd Mcfarlane and Miura magically met eachother some how, and even then the chances would be low :p

Top Bottom