Berserk on Sci-Fi

I've heard somewhere that Sci-Fi Channel talked to Media Blasters about airing the Berserk anime on their network. Whether it's true or not I don't know. I'd personally like to see Berserk on American TV, even though it'll be edited. A run on TV would give Berserk even more fans. And it'll convince them to buy the manga. Any thoughts?

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
The Dragon Slayer said:
I've heard somewhere that Sci-Fi Channel talked to Media Blasters about airing the Berserk anime on their network. Whether it's true or not I don't know. I'd personally like to see Berserk on American TV, even though it'll be edited. A run on TV would give Berserk even more fans. And it'll convince them to buy the manga. Any thoughts?

In my opinion, there's no chance in hell and even in the (very) off chance that it did, it would edited to ridiculous proportions (or shown at some ungodly hour). It might as well not even be Berserk. Where did you find this information?

More fans of Berserk is not necessarily a good thing. Just take a look at some of the posts on this board by people who are so dumb it's almost painful to watch, that's what can happen with a surge in fanbase.

I don't know, to be honest, I really only like the Berserk manga anyway, the anime's not a huge concern. ^^;

M

medievald00d

Well, I AM a huge fan of stargate, which is on sci fi...but...i doubt berserk would ever get on sci fi

N

Nasferatu Zodd

Thats almost the worst idea ive ever heard, but it would be worse if it came on cartoon network! ::)
They couldnt air berserk on edited TV because too much of the story involves sexual content and bloodshed. Like on that last episode when caska is nude, they couldnt edit that because it had such a role to it. And Berserk wouldnt be Berserk without Blood :p

Hahaha, they could always convert it to barbie doll nudity (boobs w/ no nipples) like a bunch of other animes. And if you've seen uneditted and editted gundam wing, it's surprising how they can get rid of blood. It would never show up on cartoon network. sci-fi, i don't know, but i don't care to see it heavily editted really.

himura_kenshin said:
Hahaha, they could always convert it to barbie doll nudity (boobs w/ no nipples) like a bunch of other animes. And if you've seen uneditted and editted gundam wing, it's surprising how they can get rid of blood. It would never show up on cartoon network. sci-fi, i don't know, but i don't care to see it heavily editted really.
On the back of Media Blasters' DVD 6, Roshinu's nipple is removed. :eek:

kimchan

himura_kenshin said:

That already happens occasionally in Berserk. Guts looked like a Ken doll when he was injured and lying in the Hawks' tent in the first few episodes. :p

number18

a sci-fi bitch
Wow. Is that info posted on Sci-Fi's website or what? I was talking to a guy from Media Blasters and the director of the English dub this weekend at AnimeNEXT, and they were saying that Berserk being aired on TV (on a channel like HBO, for example) would be GREAT for more Berserk (aka support for a 2nd season ala Big O!). If Sci-Fi showed it, I'm hoping they'd put a big ole warning before airing it and before coming back from commercial, and that they would show it at an appropriate time slot. More Berserk fans are a good thing!! I would get everyone I know to try and watch the damn thing!

kimchan

number18 said:
Wow. Is that info posted on Sci-Fi's website or what? I was talking to a guy from Media Blasters and the director of the English dub this weekend at AnimeNEXT, and they were saying that Berserk being aired on TV (on a channel like HBO, for example) would be GREAT for more Berserk (aka support for a 2nd season ala Big O!). If Sci-Fi showed it, I'm hoping they'd put a big ole warning before airing it and before coming back from commercial, and that they would show it at an appropriate time slot. More Berserk fans are a good thing!! I would get everyone I know to try and watch the damn thing!

I couldn't find anything on the Sci Fi Channel website about Berserk. I'm still wondering myself where he got this information.

kimchan said:
I couldn't find anything on the Sci Fi Channel website about Berserk. I'm still wondering myself where he got this information.
It may have been Anime News Network, but I could be wrong. It was a while ago, and still nothing, so I have reason to beleive it really is nothing but a rumor.

I don't find it as farfetched as some people do, though. Afterall, this is Sci-Fi, not Cartoon Network. Sci-Fi has shown some pretty graphic things before, so I think if it is true, Berserk could air with minimal editing.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
The Dragon Slayer said:
It may have been Anime News Network, but I could be wrong. It was a while ago, and still nothing, so I have reason to beleive it really is nothing but a rumor.
I frequent ANN and haven't seen anything on the subject.

number18

a sci-fi bitch
=Patiently awaiting return email from Media Blasters=

People at the panel I was at were suggesting HBO, but for some reason, I think Showtime would be more obliged to show it, since I think they actually do tend to show anime. They play Dirty Pair all the time but that's not exactly Berserk. I could ALMOST see TechTV airing it as well, since they have their late night AnimeUnleashed block...but now they show it during the afternoons as well. =shrug= Just have to wait and see...

number18

a sci-fi bitch
Yeah I forgot about the whole uhh TECH tv thing. Technology oriented shows, and all...heh...heh...

You're right about Showtime not reaching as broad an audience as Sci-Fi. Berserk seems to fit quite well though...

Watch MTV picks it up, with all the sex reality shows and shit they put on...lol

i was thinking disney channel....yeah right, thed turn it into some kinda happy ending with only 5 minutes of footage.

Id like to see it on Starz, or Encour, something like that.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
I cant imagin Berserk being on the sci fi channel... most of their shows are about crap aliens with terrible background stories and terrible sets.

Except the Cube 1 and 2 of course... ::)

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
DarkBlademaster said:
I cant imagin Berserk being on the sci fi channel... most of their shows are about crap aliens with terrible background stories and terrible sets.
LEXX was, but in a good way.
Farscape was good stuff.
Stargate: SG-1 is fairly good.

Sci-fi does have a number of fantasy shows from time to time.

kimchan

The Dragon Slayer said:
Didn't I see Fist of the North Star on Sci-Fi Channel when I was a kid, or am I mistaken?

I don't remember ever seeing Fist of the North Star. They really don't show anime on Sci Fi anymore, except for the occasional (read very rarely) movie.

Ahh, how I miss the anime festivals they used to have...

The Dragon Slayer said:
I think that Berserk could-and should-air on TV. Sci-Fi wouldn't absolutely ruin the show with editing. Sci-Fi airs violent and graphic things all the time.

have you not seen their version of Fatal Fury? Or Akira? the latter has less blood then Berserk and yet Sci-fi decided to edit out the red juices altogether.

and Farscape rocked my face.

Top Bottom