Do Gatts and Caska have "true" love?

tonberrykid02

Berserk is genius....pure genius!
i say they don't. they love each other, but it isn't "true."

most of my doubt is becuz of Caska. she clearly still has feelings for Griffith, and "true" love doesn't have room for three.

1. she refused to leave the Band of the Hawk with Gatts because she wanted to help Griffith.

2. during their first post-eclipse meeting when Griffith saves her, she looks at him with an expression of affection. now she may not have her memory, but she does occasionally see flashbacks of the eclipse. and to not be afraid of him after that, HAS to show some sort of love.

3. she showed signs of jealousy towards Charlotte during Griffith's rescue.

not only that, Gatts is growing impatient with Caska's memory loss. he's tried to force himself on her, and he's come to admit that she isn't the same person he fell in love with. when he's thinking about the events during the Mozgus fight, he says "i thought holding you would be enough. i was wrong."

he also doesnt have enough faith in their love to not be suspicious about Caska's feelings for Griffith. he was upset when Caska started talking about her feelings for Griffith during the raid on the Tower of Rebirth.

Franz

It's a dolphin.
Re:Do Guts and Caska have "true" love?

FUCK. I started posting this and accidently hit "submit," only to go back and not have my post saved. >:O

Anyway, I think Caska and Guts do have true love, however its not expressed in a stereotypical romantic way. I mean, they're constantly in war, how romantic and lovey can one get amongst battles? Its apparent that their true feelings opened up, hence all the sex0rz before rescuing Griffith and such. And granted they could just "love" each other, but look at Guts: he puts his own life in danger to save Caska numerous times. In addition, he current mental state is a reason for Guts to watch over her, protecting the one he loves; a reason to kill Griffith.

Caska may have loyalty to Griffith, but I dont think she loves him. I mean, he saved her life, and took her under his wing. She was side by side through every glorious moment in the Hawks. Its only natural to have some sort of clinging relationship to him. And, while she would have taken off w/Guts I think once Griffith was rescued, Griff's current state drew her back.

Caska's existance is one of the two reasons Guts even stays alive (the other is to kill Griffith). I think that shows some pretty true love to me.

So, my argument is weaker than it originally was, but that's how I see things.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?

tonberrykid02 said:
i say they don't. they love each other, but it isn't "true."

most of my doubt is becuz of Caska. she clearly still has feelings for Griffith, and "true" love doesn't have room for three.

1. she refused to leave the Band of the Hawk with Guts because she wanted to help Griffith.

Surely you've seen the kind of hold Griffith had on the Hawks. It's not surprising that she didn't want to leave Griffith when he needed help the most.

2. during their first post-eclipse meeting when Griffith saves her, she looks at him with an expression of affection. now she may not have her memory, but she does occasionally see flashbacks of the eclipse. and to not be afraid of him after that, HAS to show some sort of love.

Actually, there's no indication so far that Casca remembers Griffith/Femto raping her at the Eclipse. She remembers the apostles who captured her, but so far, her flashbacks have shown no signs of Griffith. Also remember that Griffith has charisma through the roof. He sent Mule to his knees in tears. Casca may have just been reacting to that or maybe a vague familiarity.

3. she showed signs of jealousy towards Charlotte during Griffith's rescue.

I think at this point, Casca was still dealing with the fact that Griffith was just using the Hawks to help him get his dream. She knew he had seen Charlotte as his way to the top. Surely seeing Charlotte reminded her of this (like Guts' reaction to the fountain speech). And, a little jealousy is understandable anyway. She's a soldier and has been through much more with Griffith, but Chrlotte, this sheltered princess, is the one he goes to.

not only that, Guts is growing impatient with Caska's memory loss. he's tried to force himself on her, and he's come to admit that she isn't the same person he fell in love with. when he's thinking about the events during the Mozgus fight, he says "i thought holding you would be enough. i was wrong."

Talk to anybody who loves someone who is "unreachable (whether by insanity, illness, coma, etc.) It's not an easy thing to deal with. It is frustrating because he wants to reach her, but he doesn't know how to get through (and now, she won't even go near him). Casca isn't the same person he fell in love with, she depends on Guts to survive now when she was fiercely independent. I think Guts is still coming to terms with his feelings about that.

he also doesnt have enough faith in their love to not be suspicious about Caska's feelings for Griffith. he was upset when Caska started talking about her feelings for Griffith during the raid on the Tower of Rebirth.

It's not a huge surprise that he would have misgivings about Casca when she talks about Griffith. Probably because Guts realizes how devoted she was to Griffith and when she speaks, it reminds him of that.

But I think their love is as close to true love as you'll find in Berserk. Most of their problems are really just natural reactions to extrordinary circumstances.

This was natural... I mean Guts had spent tons of efforts trying to protect her where it would have been much easier if he is alone, but he still protect her because he love her. It had shown Guts true love becz he still show Caska concern even in the state she is in now (Would you care for a gal who was insane if you didnt really love her?)

It is not surprising that Guts had grown impatient, he had went through lots of hardship protecting her and what she return Guts back was hostility... And her foolish in trying to escape would make the journey more tedious, so Guts eventually accept Farnese group so that Caska would be safe with them (and from himself)

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.

tonberrykid02 said:

Love really isn't a simple equation of the 1+1=2. Yes, Caska can't forget her feelings for Griffith because to her, Griffith was like her first love and that's something that's hard to forget. But she did fall in love with Guts and they've consumated that love. It may not sound fair to Guts for her to love both Griffith and Guts, but a person can love one person in the romantic sense and still have room in their heart to care for another as Caska does with Griffith after they save him from the Tower.

I feel with Caska's love for Griffith isn't really one that developed because of their interaction with each other, but because of her obligation to him for saving her as a young girl and changing her life.

The rest I think everyone else has summed up.

Scarred

I am the apostle of Samson. FEAR ME!

Guts really does love her, I know that for sure.

It really seems like she fell back on Guts because Griffith would never be with her.

SlimJ87D

Apollo

Dont forget that griffith is her baby as well now, so she might have reached for her child, since he was reborn as their child.

Top Bottom