Do you think one more episode would've worked for the anime?

N

Ng51386

From what I know, the anime itself didnt do too well in Japan, but when it came to America, that's when it got a huge boom in profit, I'm not completely sure if that's true, but that's what I've heard from a few sources.

I dont know if they were planning to do a season two or not, but I would highly doubt it... Just look at what they did omit from the manga and onto the anime. You are missing two key characters, I'm sure you can add them in, but it'd be so obvious to the manga readers it'd be corny. Then you have to explain why Rickert is still alive when he should be dead.

The anime wasnt meant to continue, it probably wont, but it's because the first season of Berserk was made like that, it wasnt made to continue on, but to just get you involved with the storyline of Berserk.

Now that you've seen the history of Griffith and Guts, you become attached to them, and when you see Griffith do that to his Band of the Hawk, you are just in utter shock, and to make matters worse, it ends... Now c'mon, any sane person who really was into this series will get the manga.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ng51386 said:
From what I know, the anime itself didnt do too well in Japan

It did well, especially given the time it aired at and the kind of show it was (i.e. not for children).

Ng51386 said:
I dont know if they were planning to do a season two or not

No, they weren't planning to. I answered these questions in a previous post in this thread already...

Ng51386 said:
The anime wasnt meant to continue, it probably wont, but it's because the first season of Berserk was made like that, it wasnt made to continue on, but to just get you involved with the storyline of Berserk.

Yes, exactly. This was all explained before in countless threads by the way.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
If shock and surprise was their itent then I don't think they could have done a better job. You feel absolutely gutted with that last episode.

Q

Qliphoth

MasterZaffro said:
From what I hear, where the anime leaves off SKull Knight comes in and saves the day. Do you think the show would've been better off if they made one more episode ending like that. It seems wierd that they chose to make it a 25 eps series instead of a normal 26 when they end it short like that. I honestly think one more episode ending where it was most appropiate a little bit more into the manga would've been so much better.

I personally think the way they did the series was amazing. The anime was made to get people interested in the manga...that's exactly what it does. The way the story loops from the first episode, which lets the audience in on what Guts is all about then to the second and onward showing how he got there - I thought was brilliant. Alot of people seem to be against the loose ends and questions left behind...which is understandable in one sense, but those questions are the reason we have a forum on it and the reason people keep coming back for more. This is a complex story that's far beyond the "beginning-middle-end" being stuffed down your throat in 25 episodes. Sure, I'd kill to see SK rip it up in the series...but for the sake of the story itself, I understand why it was left out and I think it was for the best.

Tenro

...You tit.
Well, it would have been incongruous to have SK just sort of show up suddenly at the end there, and the way the series loops around the only topic that could be covered would be the escape from the Eclipse. That said, I like having it left up to the imagination how anime Guts got out(most likely through force of will), but it's not exactly essential to the story. What's in the last episode is.

aksaC

Sex'n Swordplay
I think removing the implication that Griffith was king from the first episode or better explaining that statement would have helped the series more than an additional episode at the end. Kinda difficult to bring a giant flashback/continuing series to a conclusion.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
aksaC said:
I think removing the implication that Griffith was king from the first episode or better explaining that statement would have helped the series more than an additional episode at the end.

Well that was just a big error anyway, it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

It was an error, but also I think that since in anime, you have no idea what happens to Griffith, after the eclipse, and I think it somewhat hints to the viewer that he still intends to achieve his dream and that is closer than ever before, even though it is false information.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zelz said:
you have no idea what happens to Griffith, after the eclipse, and I think it somewhat hints to the viewer that he still intends to achieve his dream and that is closer than ever before, even though it is false information.

In the anime it says that Griffith is already the king, meaning that he has achieved his goal and exists physically (not as Femto). But Guts is still fighting apostles and trying to get a beherit (to be able to reach the God Hand, Femto in particular) instead of going directly to Griffith to get his revenge. It just doesn't make sense.

ghadrack

Not a llama or your momma!
Qliphoth said:
I personally think the way they did the series was amazing. The anime was made to get people interested in the manga...that's exactly what it does.

It absolutely drew me in, aside from Akira, the only Manga I had seen before I got sucked into Berserk by the anime was junk that didn't draw me in at all. I was ultra pissed when the last episode of the anime left me hanging, but very very pleased when I learned about the manga and started getting my own collection. Much like Akira there is so much to the story in the Manga that and anime really only serves as eye candy now that I have read the full story.

Could it have used another episode? I don't think so, it wouldn't have brought us any more closure and by introducing more characters woudl have actually left more loose ends for the anime viewer. Imagine if it had ended with SK flying Guts and Cas to safety. WTF? Who was that dude on the horse, what the hell.... People would have been screaming about that ending too, ooh look they tacked on a happy ending and saved the hero character by having a flying skeleton snatch him from the clutches of defeat.. They could not have given the anime a happy, wrapped up conclusion because the story has really just begun by the time the anime season is concluded.

Top Bottom