Favorite artists and influences

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Just to sort of incite conversation, list some of your favorite artists or influences. Anyone from the old masters to more modern artists.

My favorite artists, some of which have influenced my work are: John Singer Sargent, J W Waterhouse, NC Wyeth, Howard Pyle, Alphonse Mucha, Arthur Rackham, Gregory Manchess, Brom, Bosch, Klimt, Yoshitoshi, Hokusai, Brian Froud, Yoshitaka Amano, Katsuya Terada, Akira Toriyama, Katsuhiro Otomo, Hirohiko Araki, Hiroaki Samura, Nobuteru Yuuki, Yoji Shinkawa, the artists at Capcom, my boyfriend, and of course, Kentarou Miura.

What artists do you like? =)

L

loudchai

...Almost all of those you listed. o_O Especially Brian Froud. "The Dark Crystal" concept deisgns=pure artistic genius.

I also admire: Renoir, Degas, Raphael, the guy from good-brush.com, Kouta Hirano, Min-Woo Hyung, colonyONE, Glen Kuane, Joesph Wright, and some others I can't think of at the moment.

That's a good topic starter, though.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
loudchai said:
...Almost all of those you listed. o_O Especially Brian Froud. "The Dark Crystal" concept deisgns=pure artistic genius.

I am so glad they just reprinted that World of Dark Crystal book! The first was impossible to find for under $100.

Brian Froud is a cool guy. He and his wife, Wendy, have a both at the San Diego Comic Con pretty much every year. I talked to him there once and he's really modest and soft-spoken. Wendy Froud always has a bunch of original dolls for sale there, and they're always sold out by the time I get to their booth. Damn! Not that I could really afford one anyway.... :'(

The San Diego con is pretty awesome if you're into that kind of thing. But expensive as hell to travel there if you aren't from the area.

chugoku sensei

Too good!
Most of my favorites have been named. I would also like to add Michael Whelan... I think his fantasy illustrations are awesome. HR Giger...sometimes too weird but mostly fun stuff. Also Durer is amazing. Rodin and Camille Claudel, too. Also Caravaggio is great. I also think there is something to be said for Masamune Shirow and Hiroaki Samura...crazy details!

Soul Blader

My blade seeks vengeance!!
Eugene Delacroix
Kentarou Miura
Arthur Rackham
Bengus and Akiman
Shishizaru
Jun Tsukasa
Frank Franzetta
Keita amemiya
Yoshitaka Amano
Frank Miller