Guts better off with fake hand?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kart said:
was it just me, or did it seem like the armor gave him some control over his arm?

It's not just you, and it's been mentioned already (that's why I put a link to that other thread).

I say that Guts is better with the fake hand. His life is about swinging his sword, and doing damage. Now, he can still hold the sword, but he can now fire the cannon and shoot the crossbow. It's can do more for him than his real hand ever could. Besides, without the cannon, he'd be dead a few times over, and i can't think of a time that a real, flesh arm could get him out of those situations like a cannon could.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a bit reductive to say that Guts' life is only dedicated to "doing damage"...

Castaway said:
he can still hold the sword, but he can now fire the cannon and shoot the crossbow.

He could use his crossbow with a normal forearm. Also, while he can still hold his sword, it's been argued before that he must have lost some dexterity in the process, for obvious reasons (no wrist movement anymore). Finally, like Denial said last year in this thread, Guts would surely fight differently if he didn't have the arm cannon, avoiding situations from which he couldn't get out.

Now anyway, on the character design level, it's definitely more interesting for him to have an artificial arm (as it also has already been said).

Yeah, I agree, and it is part of what makes Guts, Guts, and it reflects his character and what he has been through in his life, which has been a struggle since the beginning, I don't think it would be same after the eclipse if he didn't lose his arm or his eye, and the mechanical arm does give him a nice tatical advantage, and plus its even in the opening for the entire series, (where he shoves his arm cannon down the demons throat and blows it away).

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
I'd like to see that interview, because I don't remember that.

must be talking about the one in the dvd's special features where miura said he was afraid that raimi would sue him because of evil dead because of its "similarities" (the arm + the shotgun versus the arm plus the huge sword) wich is not a source of inspiration...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
must be talking about the one in the dvd's special features where miura said he was afraid that raimi would sue him because of evil dead because of its "similarities" (the arm + the shotgun versus the arm plus the huge sword) wich is not a source of inspiration...

Well that sort of was my point, implying that he hadn't said so. I wasn't really expecting an answer.

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
I was also wondering that having one real arm helps enable Guts to weild the DS. Here's my point: because he only has one arm, his body tries to overcompensate for the loss by making his other arm more powerful. Kind of like blind people gaining super-hearing and the like. And not only does he have one super arm, but his prosthetic one is omega as well. We've seen Guts clob many people in the face, causing their head to nearly explode. (The battle with the H.I.C.K.s comes to mind.) I know that Berserk is entirely fictional, but it always helps to add a certain sense of realism as well- which is why I thought about the overcompensation theory.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Triggormortis said:
because he only has one arm, his body tries to overcompensate for the loss by making his other arm more powerful. Kind of like blind people gaining super-hearing and the like.

There's a quick physical limit to that kind of overcompensation, and sensorial sensitivity can't really be compared to muscle development. Also, Guts only lost his forearm, not the entire arm, so I'm not sure your supposition works at all here. Both arms are equally developed from what we can see in the manga.

krazin said:
I'd like to have your opinions regarding if Guts would be a better warrior if he still had his left hand.

There are advantages to both..

If he still had his left hand, I believe he would be more versatile maneuvering his sword, and a big increase in his dexterity. Would give him more options in a battle also, should he choose to grab or throw an object, etc.

The fake hand enables Guts to make use of that cannon which aided him in several fights against apostles, as well as the option to mount the cross bow on and shoot down targets. The hand is also able to cling ahold of the sword due to its magnetism. It can also be used to crush enemies' faces or inflict damage by punching.

I believe he would be a better fighter if he didn't lose his hand. The things he can do with the sword is amazing with one real hand and one magnetic one clinging on. But I believe he would be more spectacular and graceful if he had two real hands grabbing hold of the Dragon Slayer. Its also kind of a pity to see him missing a limb when he doesnt have his armor or hand worn.
well didn't gets get shot in the left hand when he fought the 100 mercenaries? he probably learned how to compensate from that point on, so it really wouldn't have to much of an effect on his skill with the dragon slayer

CnC

Ad Oculos
test_subject39 said:
well didn't gets get shot in the left hand when he fought the 100 mercenaries? he probably learned how to compensate from that point on, so it really wouldn't have to much of an effect on his skill with the dragon slayer

Well, he was depicted swinging the sword with just one hand earlier than that.
I think the arrow shot thru the hand was more of a "rise to the challenge" moment in that instance alone, rather than a character point.

have you ever hurt you hand really bad(like break your wrist)? it won't ever be as strong again, so you have to make do with what you have. the other one may still work, but you tend to use the healthy one more and thats how you develop a style.
so guts having lost his hand wouldn't have much of a difference due to the diminished dexterity in his left hand Challenge or not he would have.

CnC

Ad Oculos
test_subject39 said:
have you ever hurt you hand really bad(like break your wrist)? it won't ever be as strong again, so you have to make do with what you have. the other one may still work, but you tend to use the healthy one more and thats how you develop a style.
so guts having lost his hand wouldn't have much of a difference due to the diminished dexterity in his left hand Challenge or not he would have.

I know what you're saying but I don't think that was that sort of a defining moment in the story

Besides, what you're saying here doesn't equate to the story. Guts wasn't incapacitated long at all. Not to mention he was immediately effective with just one hand. Like I said earlier, he'd been training for a while.

Kagami

Goo!
test_subject39 said:
have you ever hurt you hand really bad(like break your wrist)? it won't ever be as strong again

I'm not really sure that is the case, I have dislocated my right shoulder and left knee cap, and both of those areas are currently stronger than they were before the accident due to physiotherapy, and exercise. But if you mean the fact that my left shoulder and right knee cap will probably always have more strength, then you might be right.

physiotherapy is the key word in your case. but your the story has to do with possible muscle tissue damage as well as possibly nerve damage.

and CnC your probably right about the training may have helped

Fake hands are the new style,
hell I'd get one if I lost a part of my arm in a fight :schierke:
pretty soon you will see little kids with mini ds's strapped to there backs and wearing plastic guts armor!!! :griff:
http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=184580039gj.jpg
- Guts when he grew into a short fat kid, and soiled himself at the Hilton parking lot
back on topic. Guts already looks bad ass, the hand just increases this

Wraith King

I exist in the shadow of my unrealized dream
the loss of movement in his wrist which is fundamental in basic swordsplay would imply that unless hes developed compensation in his style hes actually not fighting at the level that he could with his real arm BUT its just as probable that he shifts the weight and subsequent strain to the prosthetic arm and so can fight faster and with less damage to his wrists - considering the tremendous size of his blade, having the cannon may seem redundant in that his sword will cause adequate damage to slay most foes and its reload time is well - good for a cannon - but the real usefullness in it is that its not visable - and really unexpected with he can use to his advantage

Wraith King said:
the loss of movement in his wrist which is fundamental in basic swordsplay would imply that unless hes developed compensation in his style hes actually not fighting at the level that he could with his real arm BUT its just as probable that he shifts the weight and subsequent strain to the prosthetic arm and so can fight faster and with less damage to his wrists - considering the tremendous size of his blade, having the cannon may seem redundant in that his sword will cause adequate damage to slay most foes and its reload time is well - good for a cannon - but the real usefullness in it is that its not visable - and really unexpected with he can use to his advantage
exactly my point is the that he needs to improvise with what he has lost

Wraith King

I exist in the shadow of my unrealized dream
Even more challenging then shifting the weight of the blade in a battle would be the necessity to shift his center of gravity - heh im not sure about this but due to the size and weight of the sword unless he pulls his weight backwards then he’d fall forwards also it severely limits his movement options - even though its guts I don’t think hell be running for any extended period with the sword in front of him ( Drawing the blade after running usually ) then again this isn’t taking into account Guts's exceptional strength, in any case it can be said that the fact that he has the repeater crossbow in his fake arm makes difficult situations a lot easier, could even be a necessity due to the movment problems, its also needed if the opponent keeps there distance..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wraith King said:
in any case it can be said that the fact that he has the repeater crossbow in his fake arm makes difficult situations a lot easier

Well the crossbow isn't "in" his arm (that's the cannon), he keeps it on his belt and just mounts it on his arm when he needs to use it. Nothing he couldn't do with a normal arm basically.

Top Bottom