Guts' left arm

Rage Incarnate said:
But with both arms he would, theoretically, be a stronger opponent and not have to block with anything but his sword. So basically he might not need it. ;)

So in other words you agree? Anyway the part about wide areas of attack... could you clarify your point?

Stronger he is but not necessarily block everything...

Regarding the wide area attack... I mean basically DS is used more for attacking rather than blocking... His mechanical arm would do most of the job except in cases or examples which i have listed... Anyway what i meant as wide area attack are attacks that are not directed at one point at the same time, like ur head, eyes, chest, arm etc... Rather it cause damage to the body as a whole (A bomb for eg...)

If you still dun get it... Think of something that will cause large area damage..

Smith said:
Stronger he is but not necessarily block everything...

Regarding the wide area attack... I mean basically DS is used more for attacking rather than blocking... His mechanical arm would do most of the job except in cases or examples which i have listed... Anyway what i meant as wide area attack are attacks that are not directed at one point at the same time, like ur head, eyes, chest, arm etc... Rather it cause damage to the body as a whole (A bomb for eg...)

If you still dun get it... Think of something that will cause large area damage..

Right, but my point is thatwith both arms he would probably have more manuverability and could use the Dragon Slayer with more manuverability. Anyway I get what you're saying about the arm being able to block small targets while Guts attacks but my point is he might not have to do that if he had the strenth and manuverability of both arms.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to agree with your original statement Smith, but your point here is more than debatable.

Smith said:
Not forgetting that he need to attack his opponent as well... So if he can use his arm as a mini shield, why not use that to block his enemy blow and attack at the same time?

Don't forget what his arm is primarily used for: holding his sword. Even though Guts can swing his sword with only one arm as we've seen several times, he still needs both for his attacks to be really effective, and that would be hard if he was really using it as a shield while attacking. Using a real shield would then make more sense, since his left arm would be dedicated to blocking attacks.

Aazealh said:
I tend to agree with your original statement Smith, but your point here is more than debatable.

Don't forget what his arm is primarily used for: holding his sword. Even though Guts can swing his sword with only one arm as we've seen several times, he still needs both for his attacks to be really effective, and that would be hard if he was really using it as a shield while attacking. Using a real shield would then make more sense, since his left arm would be dedicated to blocking attacks.

Yup you are indeed right in this sense and i know 2 arms is always better than one... However without his mechanical arm I seriously doubt get past Roshinu that easily...

Kenshin Hayabusa

foxes own you
i did not read the whole topic but i also noticed that in volume 28? when Guts is going to fight the alligators, when he puts a bandage around his hand so he could hold the sword...

yea well you could also count that, since he has no hand he doesn't feel pain (at least ON THE HAND) so he could use his sword or swing it with one hand if his other one would be so messed up that it would be impossible for him to use it.

so its also about the durability.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kenshin Hayabusa said:
i did not read the whole topic

And that's a big mistake.

Kenshin Hayabusa said:
i also noticed that in volume 28? when Guts is going to fight the alligators, when he puts a bandage around his hand so he could hold the sword...

Yeah, he did that first when he was tracked down by the H.I.C.K. after the fight with Roshinu, because his hand/forearm was too messed up and weakened to hold the sword properly.

Kenshin Hayabusa said:
yea well you could also count that, since he has no hand he doesn't feel pain (at least ON THE HAND) so he could use his sword or swing it with one hand if his other one  would be so messed up that it would be impossible for him to use it.

so its also about the durability.

I don't understand what you mean here... Could you please clear it up?

Aazealh said:
I don't understand what you mean here... Could you please clear it up?

Hmm... This is what i may think he was trying to say

Kenshin Hayabusa said:
yea well you could also count that, since he has no hand he doesn't feel pain (at least ON THE HAND)

The hand he imply was the mechanical arm if i am not wrong...

Kenshin Hayabusa said:
he could use his sword or swing it with one hand if his other one would be so messed up that it would be impossible for him to use it.

The benefit of Guts in battle if he still has his arm...

I guess spacing is all he need to clear it up... Though i may not be right at all :p

Z

ZeroGraveVII

A great example how his arm saved his life, is on issue 2. When he fought Zondark in his deamon form and Zondark was throwing his axe like a whip and Gut's had to stop the axe from hitting him and during the fight, he screws up while attacking Zondark and almost gets sliced up by his own sword and the only reason he didn't get sliced up, was simply because he used his metal arm to stop the blade from cutting him in half.

MB. said:
Guts' arm is his sheild. He is what mmorpger's call a tank.

lvl 50 Black Swordsman LFG...

another use of the metal hand is being an unhurtable grip on his sword (albeit not as good of a grip as a real hand), as seen when he switches his hands so that Serpico doesn't cut him.

Dunno if it's been said before, but does anyone else notice that when he goes berserk the fingers seem to be able to move around like normal? Might just be me, but it looks like that during the tree house fight and when he goes all beast against the familiars on the beach

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DefaultJ!! said:
Dunno if it's been said before, but does anyone else notice that when he goes berserk the fingers seem to be able to move around like normal? Might just be me, but it looks like that during the tree house fight and when he goes all beast against the familiars on the beach

I think that you mean when he wears the Berserk's armor, it's an important detail. The armor actually looks like it responds to his will, leaving an opening for the cannon when he blasted Grunberd's shield for example, so I think we can say that yes, when he goes Berserk in the armor, the gauntlet more or less acts like he still had his hand.

All_4_Yume

Yume Chaser
Losing his hand sucked but he still has his elbow so all he basically needs is something to hold on to the DS. It doesn't have complete wrist movement but it pretty good for fighting otherwise.

His missing eye would be more of a weakness than the metal hand. He's fighting all these beasts with half his range of vision gone.

All_4_Yume said:
His missing eye would be more of a weakness than the metal hand. He's fighting all these beasts with half his range of vision gone.

And yet he is still doing so well... It doesnt affect his fighting from what i see...

Top Bottom