photoshop help

Paul_Taito

I'm an artist!!
ok, im starting to understand photoshop a bit, but Im having trouble with shading. Ive been playing with the burn & dodge tools, and been fooling around with filters but things tend to turn in to a mess. So how would I go adding shade to this.....
geocities.com/paul_taito/01.jpg
(copy&paste, geo don't allow direct linking)

Whoa Frank

OMGWTFLOL
You... umm... DO know how to use layers, correct?

Well, that was actually a rather pointless question, because I can tell that you don't. Let's cut to the chase - instead of asking people for help on how to color, why don't you figure out the basics of PS first?

Help is rather useless otherwise.

Whatever - what you have to do is take your different solid-colors and put them on different layers:

For example, Layer 1 - Lineart.
Layer 2 - Skin Base Color
Layer 3 - Hair Base Color

Once you do that I can help.

Paul_Taito

I'm an artist!!
I already know about layers, Thats all I know, oh and how to make line art, (that picture was done in pencil, I didn't want to ink it, not that good at inking yet anyway. Sorry its so sloppy)

Ive been looking at some tutorial's on the internet, but they are so expansive when all I want to know is how to color line art.

Im also trying my hand out on this
geocities.com/paul_taito/gutzcolor01.jpg

Paul_Taito

I'm an artist!!
I belive im looking for way's to add texture to my pictures. A more realistic touch, rather than just plain color with some shade. (that makes the image seem flat)

Whoa Frank

OMGWTFLOL
arm1.jpg

Woo! Crappy art by me. I don't really get much practice with non-cell-shaded work, so bear with me:

Um... this is a little closeup of an arm I made, and I'll tell you how I made it then.

1. Make the lineart. Make sure that you put this on a layer so that THERE IS NO WHITE. It has to be transparent except for the lines. This is very important, because otherwise the layers will be useless.

2. Prepare the base colors. You seem to have gotten that down, but just make sure that each color is done on a separate layer as the lineart is done. These layers have to be UNDER the lineart.

3. Make a new layer over the base color that you want to do, and name it ___ Shading or something, and in the blank, put whatever your coloring... so for instance, it would be "Arm Shading" for my picture. This, like all the other layers, must be completely transparent.

4. On this layer, take your color and make it slightly darker, then paint over it (Pretend you're cell shading for a while).

5. Make another layer, just like your shading one, and name it ___ Highlights. On this layer, you will take all colors lighter than the base and follow the same directions as #4.

6. Take the smudge tool and mess with the color until it looks adequately blended.

You're finished, then, in 6 easy steps. Finally. =P

Paul_Taito

I'm an artist!!
I'm working on this
copy/paste
www.geocities.com/paul_taito/gutzcolor01.jpg

Im having trouble with the background, and did I color the straps to dark?

Top Bottom