Referendum BoRiNgNeSs!!

Makkuro

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!
Re:Referendum madness

Oltobaz said:
What's so wrong with the Euro,Mak?

Where to begin...

1) The European Central Bank is thoroughly undemocratic. The board of directors is prohibited from taking instructions from democratically elected politicians. The minutes of their meetings are classified for thirty years (to compare with Sweden's two weeks).

2) It's a step towards creating a United States of Europe.

3) It's economically unsafe. The best protection any economy has against recessions is a floating currency. Last time we tried to tie the Crown to another currency, it resulted in interest rates of 500% and tens of thousands of lost jobs.

There's more, but I'm tired right now.

Haha, yeah i heard somethin' about this.

couple quick questions for mak:

1) The European Central Bank is thoroughly undemocratic. The board of directors is prohibited from taking instructions from democratically elected politicians. The minutes of their meetings are classified for thirty years (to compare with Sweden's two weeks).

Hmm... i thought the point of an appointed board of directors for a central bank was so that they do what's best for the economy, rather than what's best for their campaign. If they listen to elected officials, isn't there a danger that politicians will tell them what to do (what's best for their campaign) rather than them working for the economy? Maybe i don't know what i'm talking about here, i'm just comparing this to what i learned about the U.S. Fed in Macro.

3) It's economically unsafe. The best protection any economy has against recessions is a floating currency. Last time we tried to tie the Crown to another currency, it resulted in interest rates of 500% and tens of thousands of lost jobs.

:eek: Did you by chance mean 500% inflation here? 500% interest rate sounds like a great time to start a savings account :p.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask

Euro will never sound as cool as "Franc" or "Deutschmark",they could at least have come up with a cooler name...

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!

Or the rupee... quite possibly the coolest sounding currency.

So Makkuro, the motion was defeated ? I thought after that lady politician's death, there was a new surge of support for the Euro in Sweden since she was the biggest proponent of it. It must have been a close vote then...

Makkuro

himura_kenshin said:
Haha, yeah i heard somethin' about this.

couple quick questions for mak:Hmm... i thought the point of an appointed board of directors for a central bank was so that they do what's best for the economy, rather than what's best for their campaign. If they listen to elected officials, isn't there a danger that politicians will tell them what to do (what's best for their campaign) rather than them working for the economy? Maybe i don't know what i'm talking about here, i'm just comparing this to what i learned about the U.S. Fed in Macro.

Yeah, well, that's democracy for ya. In theory, at least, the politicians are supposed to represent the people. The board of directors, however, are just a bunch of bureaucrat without democratic legitimacy.

:eek: Did you by chance mean 500% inflation here? 500% interest rate sounds like a great time to start a savings account :p.

Nope, I meant the central bank's interest rates. All it did was make it a really bad time do get a loan, I doubt it affected the savings accounts much.

Bok Choy [Stir-fried with Rice] said:
Or the rupee... quite possibly the coolest sounding currency.

So Makkuro, the motion was defeated ? I thought after that lady politician's death, there was a new surge of support for the Euro in Sweden since she was the biggest proponent of it. It must have been a close vote then...

Not really, we pretty much creamed them. 56% to 41%, baby! What I think her death did, was get people to vote who otherwise wouldn't have. And since it's usually the lower classes that don't vote, and since they are the ones who were most negative, in the end the murder may actually have benefitted my side. That's irony for ya.

Yeah, well, that's democracy for ya. In theory, at least, the politicians are supposed to represent the people. The board of directors, however, are just a bunch of bureaucrat without democratic legitimacy.

*shrug* yeah i suppose there's advantages and disadvantages either way.

Nope, I meant the central bank's interest rates. All it did was make it a really bad time do get a loan, I doubt it affected the savings accounts much.

Wow. Was it at least accompanied by high inflation rates? It seems almost impossible to take out a loan with 500% interest rates with low inflation. :eek:

Makkuro

himura_kenshin said:
Wow. Was it at least accompanied by high inflation rates? It seems almost impossible to take out a loan with 500% interest rates with low inflation. :eek:

Well, when the Crown was set free, it plummeted by about 20%, so yeah, you could say the inflation was pretty high.

R

Radzeke

Makkuro said:
It's a step towards creating a United States of Europe.

YEAH, EURO WISH!!! HAHAHAHAH! GET IT!? THROW IN REGULAR SHOWERS WHILE YOU’RE AT IT, EH McCoY-RO!? HO HO HO
ghost.gif

o..k.... it was basically a hillbilly feud.... so what does that have to do with..... anything? :p Why is "MyCoy!" used so much around here, usually along w/ that ghost gif?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
himura_kenshin said:
o..k.... it was basically a hillbilly feud.... so what does that have to do with..... anything? :p Why is "MyCoy!" used so much around here, usually along w/ that ghost gif?
it has nothing to do with anything, which in some context, makes things funny, just not this one.

Top Bottom