Regarding the story of Berserk

I watched the 5 out of 6 dvd of berserk, almost done with the entire thing and watched an interview with the producer, and well there were certain things about it that made me think...Berserk really is not something meant for a kid, i mean im 17, i enjoy it and yet at the same time, i think the way the story is set up, its kinda meant for older people between the ages of 20 and up...forgive me if this sounds rude or offends those who are younger here on the site...but I think you can learn many more things regarding berserk then you thought you already knew.

Besides...I come to the conclusion that this anime really isn't for people who don't take it seriousely and only care for the stunning battles and crap. Even i admit, I like to see alot of fighting in this anime, and yet I sometimes find the characters explainations of the meaning of life sometimes boring. I mean Im not stupid but I think It just came to me...As time goes on and when i watch this again, I think it will mean so much more to me and to those of younger ages...

After seeing the last two episodes of Berserk It drew me even closer towards it, I felt more interested then before...In the beginning i was like "when are all the demons and creatures going to appear, i wanna see more of them!" Well i found out for myself its not all about creatures or beast who raise hell amongst the weak...Its about love, sacrifice, trust, betrayel...

But anyways like i said I think berserk is definately a buy, i even recommend it to non-anime watchers because its so good and the story is so alive...More so then some of that other stupid anime out there that has no meaning at all...

Berserk I feel truly expresses art at its best, with realism, love, and masses of armies and demons all together....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hello TheGoblinKnight,

Well I roughly agree with all of what you said. :) You should also know that what you describe multiplies tenfold in the manga. I'm not going to comment on the total awesomeness of Berserk since it'd be pure fanboyism, but yeah, it is deep indeed, way beyond "mainstream" anime/manga/US comic books/movies/novels/etc in terms of quality, and unfortunately not a lot of people understand it (whether they're 18 or 30).

Anyway, the fact that you came to this conclusion shows that you're quite mature and smart no matter your age, IMHO.

Posted by: TheGoblinKnight Posted on: May 01, 2005, 01:35:35 AM

Berserk, I feel, truly expresses art at its best, with realism, love, and masses of armies and demons all together....

Welcome aboard Mr. GoblinKnight, and quite an excellent one line description of Berserk. Maybe it can be used in the Sacred Encyclopedia. ;D

- C

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
That actually reminds me of a problem I often have. One of my friends refuses to acknowledge Berserk as anything more than a violent gorefest, and won't even listen to my arguments. It certainly is, but it's also so much more. What I've found is that it has something in it for everyone, though most serious viewers are driven off by the rampant hacking and disembowling and most of the hyped up violence addicts can't comprehend the story. Though I'm certainly guilty of reading it for the violence, what has really convinced me of its quality is basically everything that was just mentioned. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, I guess it's just sort of fan chatter, but I think it's legitimate.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
What I've found is that it has something in it for everyone, though most serious viewers are driven off by the rampant hacking and disembowling

Well, you'd have to define what a serious viewer is though, because I'd hardly call someone giving that kind of argument "serious". The thing is, I've always thought that the violence in Berserk was overrated... It's really not so much of a "violent gorefest" going by my personal standards, it never struck me as being particularly violent, and I can't understand the people that supposedly watch it just to see "violence".

Yeah, people kill other people in Berserk, but that's a pretty common thing in entertainment nowadays, and the blood/bowels/etc aren't especially glorified, nor does the story focus around them. But then again, maybe I'm used to that kind of thing so much that I don't notice it anymore. Not sure that post was very clear, oh well.

Vaxillus

Sorry my post wasn't clear, it was late at night. The word 'serious' is just really bad word choice, switch it with 'potential.' I do agree though that the violence isn't really the focuss of the manga. It still has a pretty good amount of it though, and even though it makes sense for a sword the size of the Dragon Slayer, blood and guts usually go flying everywhere. Some of my friends are a bit squeemish (and some aren't), so they are a bit more reluctant to pick it up, even if they might enjoy the story. Again, I'm not trying to make a point, just rambling.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
Sorry my post wasn't clear, it was late at night.

Don't mind it, I can't say it doesn't happen to me. -__-;;

Vaxillus said:
Some of my friends are a bit squeemish (and some aren't), so they are a bit more reluctant to pick it up, even if they might enjoy the story.

Well, I can take that as a reason at least, squeamish or not, if they can't endure seeing blood then ok, it's not like labeling the series as "mindlessly ultraviolent".

Vaxillus said:
Again, I'm not trying to make a point, just rambling.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing. 8)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
ya know,
It is difficult to turn someone on to berserk because some people just regard it as a "Gore fest" or "sex fest" (regarding the orgy scenes) so I've just stopped trying. As long as i and everyone else on skullknight know how awesome it is I don't care.

handsome rakshas said:
ya know,
It is difficult to turn someone on to berserk because some people just regard it as a "Gore fest" or "sex fest" (regarding the orgy scenes) so I've just stopped trying. As long as i and everyone else on skullknight know how awesome it is I don't care.

Here, here.

Most people will never get the series because they either want sweetness and light or someone to die every five seconds.

yeah, its not just the rampant bloodiness but the rampant nakedness that might turn people off to Berserk.

It is in there yes but there is more nudity in Love Hina (a friend forced me to watch the OVA) than there is in Berserk. In Berserk maybe two scenes a manga, on average, other series have at least half of it devoted to fanservice, though not as detailed.

Some of my friends are a bit squeemish (and some aren't), so they are a bit more reluctant to pick it up, even if they might enjoy the story.

Make them watch Happy Tree Friends and they will be desensitized enough to read Berserk.

Vaxillus

Rage Incarnate said:
Make them watch Happy Tree Friends and they will be desensitized enough to read Berserk.
Happy Tree Friends still disturbs me. I'd recomend something less 'cramming firecrackers up the anusses of small animals' and more 'violent with realistic gore.'

Top Bottom