Sarah's First Color Evar

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
But I've been meaning to learn this for years. I know it's nothing amazing and there's more that could be done if I knew how, but I think this is done to the best of my limited abilities. I know photoshop very well, so any technical advice is much appreciated and understood. Took me about 2 hours, and one restart all over again before that.
The hardest part, and the one I probably screwd up the most, is the energy on her arm. It was tough distinguishing the line art.
Funny thing is I had to use the livingroom desktop computer to do this, and I had a hard time explaining this picture to my passing father. I was showing him how I colored and such, but he didn't get what the heck was going on. He now thinks Guts is a dragon.

*edit* change 1: fixed her hair. 2. changed background to blue.

Iscariot

The snack that smiles back!
I know next to nothing of PS technicalities, but I'd just like to say that Schierke's official hair color is green. :schierke:

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
Didn't think of that, was just assuming what I thought was natural.

I'll fix that...gimme a few minutes and it'll be edited.

*edit* fixed and first post changed. Now my whole color scheme is thrown off :( Aw well, can't make that much of a difference.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Not bad for a first attempt. I would probably duplicate the blue affect over Shierke and apply a blur filter to make it blend more. I think the skin could use more shading as well. I'd recommend some black and white in her eyes too.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey sarah. Its a solid first attempt. Kudos for sharing.

It just so happens Lith did a marvelous job with this very page. So take a look and see how she handled some of the color choices.

Some specific points I can make would include what Serpico suggested. Overall the entire piece could use some direction with some indication of lighting. The original panel is tricky in indicating where a light source could be, but you could take that as liberating as it could be from almost anywhere you choose.
The first thing I noticed was the painting of the "streaks" on Shierke's sleeve and head. Something could be done to push those back and not make them so much of a focal point. They're a cool effect but keep in mind the original composition is the triangle of Guts' eye, Shierke's eyes and Shierke's hand/arm (its literally a triangle, from her face to her her elbow to Guts eye). So keep in mind that that's the subject of the page so the coloring has to adhere to that to be successful.

Good effort and keep at it.

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
Thanks CnC, but I have a long way to go before I can do what they did. I don't even know how they did it. I know it would easily be another 3 hours of work for me. I'm not even sure how to do shading.
I probably have a lot of tutorials to read, but I'd rather learn one thing at a time. The best I did before this was my av. I'd rather start over than put so much more work into it, but I'm interested in small changes for now.

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
Actually I had glanced over your tutorial before I did this. Once it started getting to things I didn't know, I got confused easily :(
But it's not something some one can learn overnight. It's going to take a lot more practice for me. It would also help a lot if I had a tablet instead of a regular mouse, but they're expensive.
I still have a lot to learn, but I had to start somewhere.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Lithrael said:
CnC.. hehe, I'm flattered you referred her to me before Miura himself! :guts: Here's his own color scheme for Schierke's ride in Guts' psychic wonderland! Courtesy of Aaz.

I'm aware of the painting. In this case I like your colors a bit better. But honestly Miura painted it from scratch so it really can't be compared to another coloring (that doesn't excuse you from posting more colorings tho :puck:).

Top Bottom