The Key to Killing Griffith

So I've been rereading the newest chapters (Fantasia arc and beyond) and I've been thinking about how Guts will end up posing any kind of threat to Griffith, especially after he got his ass handed to him on Elfhelm. One thing that I actually didn't notice on the first 2 reads was that on one stroke of his Dragonslayer, Guts was able to cut a single strand of hair off of Griffiths head.

Now a lot of things have been pointing to Dragonslayer being a special sword. We all know how dangerous it is in the hands of Guts, but as he started to kill more and more apostles and other creatures of the astral realm, his blade started to develop special qualities. When he first got his sword, it was just a hunk of iron. But then by end the of the Millennium Falcon arcs, he was able to harm literal sea gods and the pseudo forms of the God Hand.

I think Guts' sword is being tempered to injure Griffith on a deeper plain of the astral realm.

Maybe the last step for Guts is to kill a godhand?

Thoughts?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's going to just be a matter of making the Dragon Slayer more lethal. Rather, they will need to find a way to nullify the maelstrom effect around Griffith (using magic), because that's what seems to divert all attacks against him. Case in point: Rickert's open palm struck just fine despite not having cut through thousands of evil spirits.

We might have had more clues if we had seen the end of the Elf Island chapter by Kentarou Miura, but I do think the above is a solid guess.

Guts cutting griffiths hair could be the chink in the armor eventually but guts is not gonna do it alone imma guess predominantly by magic and the moonlight boy there gonna find a way to banish/kill him at least corporeally.

My guess is that Miura's original intent was for the Moonlight Boy to play a pivotal role in Griffith's defeat. The Moonlight Boy is, in part, a result of Griffith's SA of Casca during the Eclipse, and I think it would be poetic justice for Griffith to be undone by that act of pure spite.

Do Mori or Studio Gaga know what Miura had planned for Griffith? I don't know, and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going down the buffed Dragon Slayer route, but I doubt Miura was planning anything so simple as that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom