Trying to set up a Lan (sorta)

Kagami

Goo!
I have a wireless connection via my ibook, and I want to be able to leach off it with my big PC. Now, all I really care about is getting internet (I miss playing CS sooooo much) and I don't mind if my laptop needs to be on all the time to get it (it is acquiring the wireless signal). Now, I also have a Linksys wireless-G 2.4 GHz Broadband Router. I don't really care about trying to set up the wireless capabilities with this, since I don't have a wireless card in my PC, and I already am getting a signal from my ibook. I have 2 eithernet cables, and no clue about anything else. Any computer savvy folks think they can help a fool? :puck:

Wireless cards for PC are cheap this days otherwise you can set up your laptop to share its connection, (ICS) in your network connections. Still I would rather Recommend getting a wireless card for your PC they cost less than 20 bucks and you don't have to let your laptop on 24/7 which might end burning your power brick ahead of schedule or exposing your laptop to 2 much heat for to much time.

Kagami

Goo!
Entropy said:
Wireless cards for PC are cheap this days otherwise you can set up your laptop to share its connection, (ICS) in your network connections. Still I would rather Recommend getting a wireless card for your PC they cost less than 20 bucks and you don't have to let your laptop on 24/7 which might end burning your power brick ahead of schedule or exposing your laptop to 2 much heat for to much time.

I won't be using Internet on my PC all the time, so I will just go the laptop route (also I'm too poor for 20$, you don't have to believe me). I turned on sharing, but I can't seem to configure the network on my PC. Even with the goddamned wizard helping me out, I can't get a connection. Right now, my ibook says "sharing Airport internet connection to computers using built-in Ethernet " kinda para phrasing but you get the idea. I try and set up a network, and had it so the PC knew that it was getting its internet connection from another computer on the network, not its own cable modem or whatever... still nothing. I have my first ethernet cable running from my computer into the "internet" hole on the Router, and then I have my PC plugged into port 4. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Sucka please, don't use the internets port. Just use any of the numbered ports for the interwebz cable from your ibook and any of the numbered ports to connect to your pc. Should work.

Kagami

Goo!
MangyKid Ver.4.5 said:
Sucka please, don't use the internets port. Just use any of the numbered ports for the interwebz cable from your ibook and any of the numbered ports to connect to your pc. Should work.

When I do that my ibook doesn't get its internet signal (It ignores the wireless connection and tries to get connection from the Linksys i think) and it still doesn't give my PC internet :(

Kagami

Goo!
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
ALso I would not recommend leaving your laptop on all night everyday, They are not ment for that.

I only leave my ibook on when I am using my PC for internet, or using the ibook for work. Never extended periods of time. Couple hours max.

Anyone think they know what I could be doing wrong?

D

darkbane

I'm about to lose my connection so I won't be able to reply, but here's some stuff you might need to think about:

I think there's actually two kinds of ethernet cables, one for pc-to-pc and one for pc-to-router, but don't quote me on that.

In any case, check the wiring again.

On the PC, manually configure the DNS of the interface in question to be that of your provider.

Set the IP address on both PC and laptop internal interfaces to the same network, for instance 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2

Gateway configuration should be automatic but do a ROUTE PRINT on the pc just in case to see where your packets are going.

On the PC, use the network connections box from the control panel to make sure that your interface is online.

CnC

Ad Oculos
is it an impossibility to get a wired PC and a wireless Laptop to see each other through a router? I can use the internet from both but they don't seems to see each other. I'd like to exchange files from one to the other without having to use my flash drive.

I know I'm just missing something really simple here... :void:

Check your Router documentation. You can probably configure your Router to let both subnets to see each other (you can enter your router configuration by typing its IP in your webbrowser) it is probably a security setting that it is set that way as default. Wireless Routers are commonly used in public places and it is a big security issue if you could see other computers connected through out that public router Wirelessly. If you go out with your laptop to a heavy populated Area you can usually find plenty of open networks in which you can do plenty of mischief, including printing all sort of messages in Shared Printers ! Once I Printed out in a shared Printer I KNOW WHAT YOU DID! You LIVE IN [INSERT] and started printing out p0RN. Next time i guess Ill print out Chuck Norris Faqs

CnC

Ad Oculos
Entropy said:
Check your Router documentation. You can probably configure your Router to let both subnets to see each other (you can enter your router configuration by typing its IP in your webbrowser) it is probably a security setting that it is set that way as default. Wireless Routers are commonly used in public places and it is a big security issue if you could see other computers connected through out that public router Wirelessly. If you go out with your laptop to a heavy populated Area you can usually find plenty of open networks in which you can do plenty of mischief, including printing all sort of messages in Shared Printers ! Once I Printed out in a shared Printer I KNOW WHAT YOU DID! You LIVE IN [INSERT] and started printing out p0RN. Next time i guess Ill print out Chuck Norris Faqs

Your reasoning makes sense. Ill give it a try.
And yea, first thing I did when I went wireless was to close it down. But I know of at least 2 people in my apartment building that have wireless networks named "Linksys". admin/admin.
If I were a more sinister person, I'd probably take advantage of that. But since they're my backups for when my internet might go down, I'll keep quiet.

Kagami

Goo!
Kagami said:
Thanks for all your help, I just ended up pluggin  in the laptop directly to the comp. :( no LAN, but I got internet :)

Here is a new question for all you computer guys. All of a sudden, my connection on my PC isn't working anymore. I didn't touch any cables or anything, it knows it's connected to a network, but it cannot find an IP address. Whenever I try to reset connection, or get a new IP it doesn't work. I tried putting in the IP manually, and still nothing. To make sure it wasn't a shitty cable I also swapped cables a couple of times and still nothing. My laptop still gets interenet no prob thru air-port, but now no PC? I was using it last night, then turned it off normally to go to bed, and this morning..... NOTHING!

any one know what could be going down? :???:

Top Bottom