What is the future role of Elfhelm

If I remember correctly, isn't Guts heading to Elfhelm so he can leave Casca in a safe place (ie. Elfhelm) before heading off to destroy Griffith? That's the whole reason he decided to go, wasn't it? Once he'd dropped Casca off he was going to go off and kill Griffith and the God Hand. He just wanted to make sure Casca was safe first. That was the original plan, right?

:schierke: (well, that's how I remember it. I can't be bothered checking, and I might've had bad translations anyway. I'll just wait for someone to correct me if I'm wrong  :guts:).

So, really, Guts was planning on asking the elf-people to look after Casca, and then he was going to go off and hunt the Apostles, God Hand and Griffith. It really didn't seem like he was going to stick around for all that long.

But since then a lot of people have joined Guts, and Casca could be cured. I'm guessing this would change things drastically. Do you think he'll still get cured, tell the others to get back to their lives, then head off for revenge? Or do you think he'd possibly let/ask the others to join him?

Or do you think things have changed so drastically that Griffith isn't even that high on the agenda anymore?

What do YOU think?

Speculate away, and if I'm wrong about the 'original plan', please correct me, then ignore everything I just said.  :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
krumm47 said:
If I remember correctly, isn't Guts heading to Elfhelm so he can leave Casca in a safe place (ie. Elfhelm) before heading off to destroy Griffith? That's the whole reason he decided to go, wasn't it? Once he'd dopped Casca off he was going to go off and kill Griffith and the God Hand. He just wanted to make sure Casca was safe first. That was the original plan, right?

No, he wanted a place where he and Casca would be safe together. He didn't plan to leave her again, remember? This was addressed in previous threads already.

Never.jpg

"Never again!"​

Of course, he can't forget about Griffith so easily, but he didn't intend to leave Casca rotting alone somewhere. Remember what he told Flora when Schierke asked that Casca stay at the tree house? "She's only safe within the range of my sword." It's also what SK told him: he can't protect Casca and challenge Griffith, he has to choose. And he chose Casca, since he saved her from the Incarnation ceremony and until now.

krumm47 said:
Do you think he'll still get cured, tell the others to get back to their lives, then head off for revenge? Or do you think he's possibly ask the others to join him? Or do you think things have changed so drastically that Griffith isn't even that high on the agenda?

For now, Griffith is second to Casca, that much we know. Guts isn't in condition for fighting seriously anyway. Once he's cured and all that, I think that inevitably, his desire for revenge will come back. I don't think he'll go fight alone again, these days are behind him IMHO. The group will follow him to some extent, but to know what each member would decide... We don't even know what they'll find in Elfhelm, so that's really hard to predict. One thing is sure, SK told Guts that what he wants wouldn't necessarily be what Casca will want. He'll have to deal with that.

Ahh, I see now. Thanks. :guts:

I do feel stupid to of forgotten such a critical part of the story, (and Guts' characterisation) though.  :judo:

Heh. But, luckily my misunderstanding hasn't effected my interpretation of Berserk all that much. I'd be pretty hopeless if I hadn't realised that the 'Protect or Revenge' dilemma was pretty much the main theme of Volume 13 onwards. I'd originally viewed Guts' trip to Elfhelm as a way around it; a way to be able to fight Griffith without having to worry about Casca's safety (that is considering Elfhelm is the safest place ever). But you're absolutely right, Guts wouldn't just leave Casca. He especially wouldn't plan to ahead of time (like I was suggesting). I'd think that if he did decide to go for revenge over protecting Casca it would be in one of those 'Beast' moments; a heat of the moment decision where he'd be consumed by anger and hatred and such. 

Meanwhile: scanning over Volume 17 and 22 again just now, I can't believe I misunderstood...  :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
krumm47 said:
(that is considering Elfhelm is the safest place ever).

Well, since the thread is about Elfhelm originally, I'd like to point out that we don't know yet how safe Elfhelm is, and how safe it will be in the future. I personally don't believe it will be seriously threatened, but in Berserk you never know...

krumm47 said:
I'd think that if he did decide to go for revenge over protecting Casca it would be in one of those 'Beast' moments; a heat of the moment decision where he'd be consumed by anger and hatred and such.

Hmm, I don't think he'd leave her like that, and even if he did, he could always go back. It would have to be more of a "no other choice" decision, IMHO. Anyway, with all of what has been going on recently, it's hard to be sure about Guts' future decisions, Casca's point of view if she's cured with her memories back and all, what the other characters will do, what unexpected events will happen, etc. Things can evolve in so many different ways... They don't even have a ship yet.

R

-rob-

Well, if Elfhelm is where Caska is supposed to get cured, is it possible this could pick up where the Dreamcast Game took place? (Despite it being "The ultimate safe house.")

Aazealh said:
Well, since the thread is about Elfhelm originally, I'd like to point out that we don't know yet how safe Elfhelm is, and how safe it will be in the future. I personally don't believe it will be seriously threatened, but in Berserk you never know...

Places once inhabited by elves (or dwarves like Godot's cave) are usually safe from malevolent beings, aren't they? Elfhelm still has elves living there, so it ought to be even safer. Although, regular people would be a different story...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucalb said:
Places once inhabited by elves (or dwarves like Godot's cave) are usually safe from malevolent beings, aren't they? Elfhelm still has elves living there, so it ought to be even safer. Although, regular people would be a different story...

Of course, Elfhelm is supposedly very safe. I'm just pointing out the fact that we don't really know what the situation is in there, or what may happen in the future. A lot of people think Griffith could launch an attack on Skellig, or that the other God Hand members could plot something, etc. We'll have to wait until the group finally arrives to witness how it really is.

Even if I myself believe that it's going to be something close to a "last haven", remote from the world, and that it won't get attacked (see my posts on the topic), for the sake of speculation we shouldn't jump to conclusions. A good debater is said to be one that can convincingly argue in favor of something going against his own belief. :guts: I just don't want anybody to think we've got a definite take on the issue.

Oh and Godot's cave wasn't said to be inhabited by dwarves, although that would be the most logical thing (just "yousei", which is very often translated by "elf" in Berserk).

Aazealh said:
Of course, Elfhelm is supposedly very safe. I'm just pointing out the fact that we don't really know what the situation is in there, or what may happen in the future. A lot of people think Griffith could launch an attack on Skellig, or that the other God Hand members could plot something, etc. We'll have to wait until the group finally arrives to witness how it really is.

If there is really going to be a war between the GH and the Elfhelm, I can tell it will be an very epic battle, imagine all the witches combined force with the king and all elves to fight against demon. Cant really wait for that day to see this happen...

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Elfhelm will, in my opinion, become just as important to the story as Tudor, or the village of Shet. :isidro: :troll:

Just kidding.

I used to dismiss out of hand the old notion "once Casca gets cured, she's gonna go after revenge on Griff!" Now, I begin to wonder if it may indeed be what she wants. If Guts wants to settle in Elfhelm and live peacefully there with her, that would undeniably present an irreconciliable difference between them.

All of this talk about "Will Griffith launch an attack against Elfhelm? Does he even know about it?" is, at this point, groundless speculation. To which I shall now add my own groundless speculation. Even if Griffith is unaware of an uncharted isle full to the brim with witches and elves, that doesn't mean that Idea is unaware of it. The reincarnation of Griffith signalled a general collapse of the boundaries between layers of reality. Griffith may not need to attack Elfhelm-it may get taken care of for him.

I'm pretty sure he know's about Elfhelm, just like how he knew about Flora. The Godhand are major players in casaulity which affects everyone, thus I'm sure they know what's going on in the world and where since they're often taking somesort of hand in the matters.

As to Griffith attacking Elfhelm. I honestly dont see it as a likely choice as he's still busy trying to form his own empire, something that Elfhelm, and island way off in the sea might not be such a threat to yet unlike Flora who would have been on the land's he took over when/if he becomes king. Not to mention there is still the problem of Ganishka, who by himself was a pretty good match for both Irvine and Locus and their accompanying apostles. Another reason why Griffith might not attack Elfhelm, its been said to house several wizards and witchs, and we already saw how powerful they can be by themselves (hell Flora was near death and ready for it, yet still held Grunbeld back).

Griffith is leaving Elfhelm alone for now, but that does mean he will be leaving it alone for good. I think he will really launch a attack once he settle down as a king after defeating Ganishka. We all know what type of person Griffith is, he will remove all possible threat, remember the queen back in vol 10?

So for now like many of u said, Elfhelm will be safe because now he still have Ganishka to take care of. But what happen after that is hard to say...

Elfhelm...I'm not sure...or anyone for matter...of what will happen...as for Casca gettin healed, Yes IMO it will def. happen....BUT!.....i dont think it will be as simple as her standing before the Elf King and him waving his hand around and saying, "Wah la...ur healed!" If anything I think Casca's healing process should take awhile, she has lived as an 'escaped sacrifice, who was raped and betrayed by the leader she gave her life too and saw her comrades and friends eaten before her, and whose mind has gone on permanent vacation. If she was healed in mere minutes I would be very disappointed and felt cheated...YES i would like to see Casca back in action but I really dont think we'll see her back to herself for a LONG LONG time...I think it will come down to the Elf King pretty much sayin she has to stay there for almost as long as she was branded for her to regain herself...and yes we'll see Guts torn...we know he loves her and yada yada....but remember he's on a quest for exact soem revenge....and even if Casca was 100% healed I don't think Guts would want her to fight alongside him against for instance Zodd, Grunberd or any apostle for the matter....I mean let's face facts, without the Berserk Armor...Gutts would've been history by now....what is Casca going to do against an apostle?....if anything to see the story really progress I think that they will make it to Elfhelm....meet the Elf King....find out what the deal is with Casca....and ultimately leaving her there...this would of coure create an inner conflict within Guts who vowed never to leave her alone..but if he knows she is under the protection where no evil can reach her (I THINK)...he will continue his journey with a sense of accomplishment....u still with me?....like WOW IVE GONE THROUGH SOME SHIT PROCTECTING HER BUT AT LEAST CASCA'S GONNA BE OK.....NOW BACK TO GRIFFITH........or i can be completely wrong....... :???:

Top Bottom