When Exactly does Berserk take place?

I was curious about what time period Berserk took place in. My guess is the 1400's considering there were cannons in it. Cannons if i recall came before the musket so if im correct the time period is 1400's.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Berserk isn't set in the real world so you'd have to go by the dates in the Berserk Encyclopedia.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
Well it's obviously medieval fantasy and all, but then again you have to think, they didn't have arm cannons in medieval times, and also I dont think kunai (throwing daggers) were used by... well... by anyone in medieval europe! Now I am just making assumptions at this point, but Berserk seems pretty heavily influence by the whole medieval europe thing, especially stuff like Shakespear's Macbeth, so I'd say it's from around that time.

I would Wiki the date that all was, but I am far too lazy, and if you really care, you could go look it up yourself at http://en.wikipedia.org/

Hope that sheds light on something.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Berserk takes inspiration in a good amount of things from the world's history and mythologies, but as Rhombaad pointed out, it isn't set in the "real world" or anything. Therefore it's useless to try putting dates on it. By the way, Guts' throwing knives aren't kunai.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
Aazealh said:
Berserk takes inspiration in a good amount of things from the world's history and mythologies, but as Rhombaad pointed out, it isn't set in the "real world" or anything. Therefore it's useless to try putting dates on it. By the way, Guts' throwing knives aren't kunai.

His throwing knives sure look like it... but I guess you are right. Kunai have that key ring thing at the butt. Guts' knives do not have that.
kunai.jpg

Kunai
beserkknives.jpg

Berserk Throwing Knives

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tristram said:
His throwing knives sure look like it... but I guess you are right.  Kunai have that key ring thing at the butt.  Guts' knives do not have that.

Of course I'm right. They actually look totally different, if you get past the fact that they're "short weapons that cut". Kunai are much bigger and heavier, thicker too, and the shape in itself is quite different, even though these cosplay toys images make them look more alike than they really are. They're also not used the same way.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
Aazealh said:
Of course I'm right. They actually look totally different, if you get past the fact that they're "short weapons that cut". Kunai are much bigger and heavier, thicker too, and the shape in itself is quite different, even though these cosplay toys images make them look more alike than they really are. They're also not used the same way.
I thought Kunai were throwing weapons?  If you have anything good on them, a link would be much appreciated.  Until then I will check google and wikipedia.

Heres what Wikipedia says:

A Kunai knife was a popular ninja weapon as it could be hidden easily.

It is nothing more than a large, 10 to 15 centimeters long, flattened iron nail. It could be used as a climbing tool, substituted as a peg, dug the ground, or even thrown like a shuriken.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tristram said:
I thought Kunai were throwing weapons?

They were used like that among other things, but they were far from being the most effective weapons in that case, it was more of a polyvalent tool (as far as I know). From what I've read, the size, handle included, is usually slightly longer than the wielder's forearm (that would make it around 30cm for me).

And to quote wikipedia, it was "thrown like a shuriken", meaning spinning. Guts however throws his knives straight.

Here's a picture:

arton137.jpg

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
Indeed. Thanks for the added input on that, I had always thought that Guts' throwing knives were one of the few actual japanese influences in what seems to be an otherwise anglo-european world (okay the kushans are indo-european; but you know what I mean, for the most part). I'm just happy calling them throwing knives now, then.

Thanks again, twah.

Top Bottom