Minister Foss = Vargas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Hey guys.
I was just looking over my Berserk volumes (to clear out any misconception for the future, I have only read vol. 1-14) and whenever I see Minister Foss's face, it reminds me of a young Vargas. Just curious to if anyone else sees the resembleance in both visual appearence and personality. Vargas seems like a Foss which had gone "insane" and obviously suffered many injuries.

now, im not completly stupid. I know your all going to tell me "This cant be true, Vargas was the Count's doctor, and he had two sons not a daughter". well, lets just think that after Minister Foss retired from these games and "..became a piecefull member of the Midland Court" he later decided to become a docter. All's that we know about Foss by the Manga was that he had a daughter, so he could very well also have two sons/a wife. After the eclipse, and the midland court was pretty much no more was when he could of discovered a way to make a living serving as the Count's doctor. Since he was already fairly high (or, atleast, higher then an average person) on the political ladder, it would make sense for the count to choose a doctor with more "reknown"

Technicly speaking, I don't recall guts meeting Foss during the Golden Age arc, so that could be why meeting Vargas could seem new. Plus, even if he had known him, the changes in both personality and physical changes undergone by him would cause guts not to recall him.

The reason of the name change could be because he wanted a "fresh start". As many of you know, he now only live(d) to kill the count..

hmmm.. now that I think about it this speculation can be completely disproven just by reading in Minister Foss's entry in the encyclopedia; he probably spent the rest of his days in the court and died during the demon uprising.

ahh well, even though its 99.999% sure not to be true, thats the fun of speculation :) what do you guys think? Or, do you think Vargas resembles an older, crazier minister foss?

meh.. Still new to Berserk (only been a fan awhile) and I only try to read the DH releases, so I apologize if this has been discussed here before/was completely prooven false in later volumes.. I just love overthinking things :troll:

Since you've been only reading the DH releases, it's understandable you wouldn't know: Foss is still alive and well.

And there was no 'demon uprising' either. :griff:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
Just curious to if anyone else sees the resembleance in both visual appearence and personality.

Their stature is vaguely similar, i.e. they're short and fat. Apart from that I don't see any resemblance (their personalities are quite different IMO). Hell, Vargas even had some hair left, which isn't Foss' case.

IsolatioN said:
All's that we know about Foss by the Manga was that he had a daughter, so he could very well also have two sons/a wife.

No, he couldn't. Vargas is dead and Foss is currently still alive anyway, leading the resistance against Ganishka in Wyndham. It's just impossible, sorry. That's the downside of speculations, I hope that won't prevent you from posting once you'll know more about the story though.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
ahh very well. I didn't think it seemed very logical and whatnot, but strange things like that just pop into my head when im reading Berserk :guts:

and I apologize yota821, I mean't to reffer to the post-eclipse events :)

You will definitely get a better idea of how the world of Berserk works as you progress past the Eclipse (though as I am sure many will tell you there is a lot we don't know). But since you're keeping pace with the Dark Horse releases it's best not to venture into overly spoiler heavy areas. So your not scanning the forums for information on the subject is understandable. Plus you're polite in the way in which you present your questions, which goes a long way here. Though I don't post that often (I actually read this site often for quite some time before I registered), I have noticed that if you are respectful of more senior members (especially are Cruel Admin Overlords), you will be treated pretty well. Being a pretentious ass and quoting scanlations as if they were canon is not the most endearing thing you can do.

Many of the Admins and veteran posters have some very helpful posts that help explain certain events and flesh out some of the deeper meanings that can be lost in the translation. Plus, they can offer some pretty interesting historical side notes (What stands out to me right now is one of Aazealh's posts on real world counterparts to some of the more unique weapons that show up in the manga http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=3695.msg90697#msg90697 - not trying to be an ass-kisser here just saying that I appreciate someones sharing research that can be backed-up with more than just a bunch of BS. Plus I find history in general to be interesting, but I digress).

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
jepn30, I appreciate the heads up! I can understand why the people of these boards are a little aggressive with newer members; people (like me) who are still new to the series prancing in here, acting like we know everything, haha. Although, I don't take any of the comments in this topic as aggressive. On the contrary, the replies to my posts have been all very informative. I thank you all for the information :)

I like sticking with the DH releases to avoid any misconception perceived by scanlations.. I've been down that path with other manga's, and as you all know it can create some heated controversy. Plus, it just feels more right to hold the manga in your hands and read it; it feels more complete. Although, the DH releases do have minor errors (words cutting off page, slight loss in quality, etc) but overall I feel DH has done a fine job with the manga. albeit going awfully slow, haha.

So, that ends my rant; just wanted to say thanks again, both on the comments of my speculation and suggestions on forum behavior. I love reading all of you guy's speculations, but I really have to be carefull what I click; don't want to ruin the series for me!

(on a side note, I also find history very interesting, jepn30. Seems like less and less people are history fans now-a-days :( )

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
I can understand why the people of these boards are a little aggressive with newer members

Well actually I don't think we are... As far as I'm concerned it's all about good manners, really. If people came into your house by jumping through a window I'm sure you'd welcome them a bit coldly. :void: Anyway I'm glad to know you enjoy the place IsolatioN.

IsolatioN said:
overall I feel DH has done a fine job with the manga. albeit going awfully slow, haha.

If you can't wait and have the money, you can always buy the Japanese volumes and read them with text translations. :guts:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
I was actually considering that, now that you mention it. I don't know.. does it give the same "feel"? I suppose its sort of a combination of both reading the manga and reading scanlations. Perhaps I'll give it a try?
I'm a bit uncertain to where I should purchase them from, though. Im sure it says somewhere on these boards, so I'll check around. The price of shipping must be killer, though.

also, very understandable, on the manners aspect. Unfortunetly allot of people completly disregard manners online.. Hey, it's important here on the net just like real life! It gets tireing having to deal with people who are rude and only care about themselves, haha. I think most of us have had to deal with them before... :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
does it give the same "feel"? I suppose its sort of a combination of both reading the manga and reading scanlations.

Well, it gives the only real "feeling" as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't compare that to a mix between reading the manga and using scanlations either. You really have the book, you see the original panels, and you have translations so you know what happens. That's the best alternative for people that don't read Japanese to me.

IsolatioN said:
I'm a bit uncertain to where I should purchase them from, though. Im sure it says somewhere on these boards, so I'll check around. The price of shipping must be killer, though.

Yeah, there are many threads on the subject. The shipping hurts a bit when you buy them in bulk but that's kind of normal, and since the volumes are less than $4 each it's still a good deal if you're used to US prices.

IsolatioN said:
jepn30, I appreciate the heads up!

You are welcome.

IsolatioN said:
I can understand why the people of these boards are a little aggressive with newer members; people (like me) who are still new to the series prancing in here, acting like we know everything, haha.
I never got the impression that you acted like you knew everything. As I said you have been very polite in the way in which you present yourself. I say this as someone who is still a new member of the boards (after all long time reader or not, being anonymous doesn't help build much in the way of personal credibility, hell it doesn't help at all).

But this is off-topic.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Ooh wow, only 4 dollars an issue? Maybe I will. This weekend I think I might order some :guts: yeah I found a few sites mentioned on here where to buy from, so I'm all set!

Thanks for the warm comments, and to me it doesn't matter if someone is a new member or an oldie; credability doesn't only relly in age but personality as well :)

thanks again, and I agree this is off topic.. Since my initial question (and a few addition ones) were answered, its probably fine to lock this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom