Berserk on a motion picture?!?!?

nir085

Horse and Armor
Nomad said:
she's in Mission Imposible 2
Yuck. To both the movie and the actor. She looks nothing like Caska either.

Silverdragon said:
What about Thomas Jane(from The Punisher) as Guts. Maybe Orlando Bloom as Griffith.
As much as I loved "The Punisher" (and the comics), you can't just say that Thomas Jane would make a good Guts just because both Frank Castle and Guts are dour, vengeful killers. Because they're still completely different characters. Also, Jane doesn't look the part of Guts as all, though Guts' english VA does look a little bit like Guts, at least more like Guts (not that I'm suggesting anything).

Emphasis on the pointy manga noses should be kept in mind too. The Justin Timberlake clone lacks this, while Brad Pitt does not.

nir085

Horse and Armor
Headless Death said:
Who then do you suggest,nir085? :-\
Hmmm.

Since I haven't seen many (if any) American movie characters that are like Guts, a clear picture doesn't come immediately to my mind.

Action heroes...Clint Eastwood, Sylvester Stallone, Jean Claude Van Da - yeah, the mere rememberance of that guy is going to make me stop here. (Although the sad part about Jean Claude Van Damme is that if BERSERK was made into a motion picture by U.S. directors, I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the prime candidates; especially considering the lack of respect BERSERK gets in the states).

Honestly, I can't think of any good Guts' actors. Maybe it's because I've observed the character much more than I have individually observed American actors. Though I'm sure a westerner would fit the part better (look-wise) than a Japanese person.

God, especially with Griffith.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Anime/Manga translated to live action pictures is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. A continuation of the anime would be preferable. Even with any continuity conflicts.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
KazigluBey said:
Anime/Manga translated to live action pictures is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.  A continuation of the anime would be preferable. Even with any continuity conflicts.
I am sure that many people feel that way... Personally I would not want to see that.  But c'mon, it's just wishfull thinking  ;)

KazigluBey said:
Anime/Manga translated to live action pictures is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.  A continuation of the anime would be preferable. Even with any continuity conflicts.

Yeah but there are a selected few that have turned out good. I don't know if the Battle Royale live action came before or after the Manga but that was a classic movie, as was Ichi the killer and Casshern is one I am really looking forward to seeing.
I think the only way it has a chance of being done well is if it's made by the Japanese themselves who created the original, if it gets in westerners hands they just can't stay loyal to the original work as it doesn't fit in with their culture IMO.

Hi everyone :D

These would be my choices ... Please dont kill me ;D

Gatts:
#1 Keanu Reeves (only on the acting he needs to get pumped big time)
#2 Ricky Martin ( Only because of the face and hair style)
#3 Ben Afflek( I don't like him very much but he came to mind)

Caska:
#1 Halle Berry
#2 Alyssa Milano (with a Tan)
#3 Shannon Elizabeth( I guess she is willing to take it all off , So is Alyssa)

Griffith: ( very hard)
#1 Jared Leto ( he's cute enough, slim and an asshole)
#2 Ashton Kutcher ( very slim figure, the face I don't know...)

Ok ... these are only names I can relate but in reality no one fits the exact description and have the perfect acting abilities to play these characters. So if you ask me who would be perfect playing these roles? NOBODY. I think it would just break the spell, Ruin the magic of the story.

d00kiemastah

All I want to do is...bicycle.
Sparnage said:
I think the only way it has a chance of being done well is if it's made by the Japanese themselves who created the original, if it gets in westerners hands they just can't stay loyal to the original work as it doesn't fit in with their culture IMO.

I agree with this to a certain extent. I don't think a live action Rurouni Kenshin would turn out so well. But, would you consider Berserk an exception, considering it's...well, Western?

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
daydreamer said:
These would be my choices ... Please dont kill me ;D

Gatts:
#1 Keanu Reeves (only on the acting he needs to get pumped big time)
#2 Ricky Martin ( Only because of the face and hair style)
#3 Ben Afflek( I don't like him very much but he came to mind)

Nothing can save you now... jesus.

BiQ_

" ... "
Sparnage said:
Yeah but there are a selected few that have turned out good. I don't know if the Battle Royale live action came before or after the Manga but that was a classic movie, as was Ichi the killer and Casshern is one I am really looking forward to seeing.

Just to nitpick, the Real Original Battle Royale was a book. I have also heard it is even better than the movie, in the mindfuck/controversy angle.

Nomad said:
Ricky Martin?!?!?!?!.... come clean Sparny... is it Crack, or Cocaine?  :p

God knows, but that is by far the worst list I have heard in this thread so far.
I don't hate Jared Leto but he looks nothing like Griffith any other candidate for Guts and Griffith aren't worth dignifying with an answer. the only half reasonable answer was Halle Berry because she looks a bit like Caska, but then she is a fuckhead all the same.

Queenfan01 said:
I agree with this to a certain extent. I don't think a live action Rurouni Kenshin would turn out so well. But, would you consider Berserk an exception, considering it's...well, Western?

Nope, just because the characters are caucasian it means nothing IMO. The story is Japanese, most fans are Japanese, it should be done by Japanese. In Anime and such the characters are often caucasians, that doesn't give westerners the right to take over the project.

Anyway maybe it can't be helped, why not ask the man himself who promised us he was going to make Berserk into a movie, right SlimJ87D? ;D

BiQ-- said:
Just to nitpick, the Real Original Battle Royale was a book. I have also heard it is even better than the movie, in the mindfuck/controversy angle.

Oh, then what came first out of the Manga or movie?

DemonX said:
Brad Pitt can play anyone... horribly.

A bit late but...

Just imagine how he act as Archilles in troy... Not that bad actually

Still i will definitely vote against it... And so it Leonardo

davedapunk

I am Zodd...you are dead.
Berserk: The Live Action Movie

Just imagine it......Berserk: The Live Action Movie.

If you could make this...how would you go about it?

Who would you cast as who?
Which story would you follow?
How true to Berserk would you keep it?
Etc Etc Etc...

davedapunk

Re: Berserk: The Live Action Movie

Aazealh said:
You're late.

I did seach! But i should have searched 'Motion Picture', oh well at least i don't have to wait for replies!

How about Tom Cruise as Guts? He did a (kinda) similar type role in 'The Last Samurai'. Halle Berry looks a bit like Caska.

DarkBlademaster

Re: Berserk: The Live Action Movie

davedapunk said:
I did seach! But i should have searched 'Motion Picture', oh well at least i don't have to wait for replies!

How about Tom Cruise as Guts? He did a (kinda) similar type role in 'The Last Samurai'. Halle Berry looks a bit like Caska.

Tom Cruise is too short to be guts. Halle Berry might be good, But im against any big hollywood names playing the charecters.

d00kiemastah

All I want to do is...bicycle.
Halle Berry may resemble her, but I'm afraid that I've never seen her do anything in a movie that didn't detract from it.  I really have no idea who could play Caska, but an actress who can act emotions would be nice.  :)

davedapunk

Yea actually...it would be better for some unknown actors (that prefably look like their characters to be in it. Then we couldn't pre-judge them. But you would someone really famous to get it out there a bit.

As guts, an actor named Daniel Cudmore. He had a brief moment as Colossus in X2.

Gambino, Dave Brockie. He's the lead singer of GWAR.

Griffith, maybe Jullian Sands, or Stuart Townsend (Dorian Grey, League of Extrodinary Gentlemen).

maybe...

DarkBlademaster

Bacongod said:
Griffith, maybe Jullian Sands, or Stuart Townsend (Dorian Grey, League of Extrodinary Gentlemen).

There is no fucking way evenyone, except maybe sean connory, will make it near berserk. That movie was an abomination.

Top Bottom