Berserk on a motion picture?!?!?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ranemaka13 said:
These two words should never appear in the same sentence.
Alexander had an excellent insight into his enemies. Alexander was an excellent commander. Alexander's domestic rule was far from excellent

There.

Feanor

Nur dem Schwert kannst du vertrauen!
What's about Paul Verhoeven as regisseur?
Did someone mentioned him yet?
He's a master! Starship Troopers was awesome and Flesh and Blood is still one of my favourite films.
Robocop was very good to.
I think if he's not to old for such a project he would be our man. And for guts i think about a guy who is really a fighter. Perhaps a kick boxer or something like that.
For example i have seen a fight in which a really frightening guy called "tank" Abbott fought against a guy called vitor belfort. And belfort wiped him out in one minute.Vitor is perhaps not the best choice but i think a guy like him who could play is it.

Let's get some Star Trek actors in on this. :p

Patrick "Picard" Stewart - The Skull Knight

Jonathan "Ryker" Frakes - Sir Raban

Michael "Worf" Dorn - Grunbeld

Ethan "Neelix" Phillips - Minister Foss

R

-rob-

Van Damne street fighter look - Gambino

If HellBoy shaved his head... Maybe... Boscogne

Mariah Carey could play as Wyald

For a voice of Gurunberd I would like to see Tony Jay, AKA Megabyte from Reboot. Dunno why but I always pictured his voice to sound something like that.

Re: The End of Berserk?

As to the idea of a movie...I believe it would take at least six to get to the point in the story where we are now. The budget would be astronomical and the films would receive hard-R ratings. Furthermore, material would have to be cut simply because it cannot be shown on film and retain an R rating, such as the various orgies. The Eclipse itself would be unfilmable as it would earn an NC-17.

A Berserk film will never happen. Another Berserk anime might happen. If Berserk ever turns live action it would either a) suck or b) be a miniseries for a channel like HBO...that might be good.

Feanor

Nur dem Schwert kannst du vertrauen!

Lord of the Rings was a succesfull movie. I think it shows that BERSERK could be the same. But it will take ages before BERSERK is established enough and someone
will have the courage to make a movie of BERSERK.

Feanor said:
Lord of the Rings was a succesfull movie. I think it shows that BERSERK could be the same. But it will take ages before BERSERK is established enough and someone 
will have the courage to make a movie of BERSERK. 

If someone wanted to get all of berserk in, there would have to be several trilogys to be made. Not to mention when P. Jackson made the LotR trilogy, he left a few things out from the books, that some LotR book fans complain about... endlessly.

Skabbius

Rotting Flesh

I'll have to say that if they did make a Berserk movie, it either would never hit theaters for themes, or it would be majorly watered down. Plus if Hollywood would make it, they would probably screw it up like most of the things they adapt. There is very few comic book/graphic novel adaptations that are worth watching.

Let's face the facts...some things are just better left untouched. The Rain Forest for instance and oh yea BERSERK. Yes, who wouldn't love to see 5-6 movies, 3 hours each, rated R of Berserk goodness, but it will most likely never happen...this story IMO is far more epic and entertaining (at least for me) then LOTR. I've been thinking about this for sometime. The technology is there to make a damn sexy Berserk universe on film. However, let's think about this plausibly. If someone were to make a movie, some things would NEED to be left out. (I wouldnt like to see anything left out but, you'd have to.)

Let's say that WE are in charge of making Berserk into a SAGA. So let's actually break down Berserk - to the point of where the story is now (Demon City)- into 5 films...ok? Listing what should be included in each film.

Movie 1: Berserk : The Black Swordsman- The Snake Baron, The Count, Guts as child, meeting the Hawks up until the 100 year war. (FEEL FREE TO ADD, SUBTRACT AND COMMENT)

Movie 2: Berserk : The Fallen Hawk - Guts realizes he has to leave. Griffith kills the Queen and gets down with the Princess only to be imprisoned. Introduction of Kinght of Skeleton (HAHA so lame) Skull Knight. Guts comes back to the Hawks and they rescue Griffith. Wylad attacks, killed by Zodd...the finally the Eclipse...YES IT COULD MOST CERTAINLY BE DONE. I dont care what anyone says...the Eclipse could be done...the only thing IMO that would HAVE to be done TASTEFULLY would be Casca's rape...as in the anime...she was raped...but it was done in a tasteful manner.

Movie 3: Berserk : Retribution - THE WHOLE ROSHINU CHAPTER SHOULDN'T BE ADDED...this is an instance where fans would get upset...but think critically, is it truly needed? The movie would begin after the Eclipse, Guts realizing what the deal is, Casca going insane...BOOM back to the time after the Count, The Holy Iron Chain Knights have heard rumors of a Black Swordsman and all that, they come upon the Red Lake...Gut's Inner Demon is introduced (maybe this could be done in the first film, a flash of the demon...not explained in film one but in film 3) Guts is captured by the Knights, escapes. KUSHAN ARMY BEGINS INVADING MIDLAND, Silat and Ganishka are introuduced briefly. Finally the second half of the film can be devoted to everything leading up to the moment before Griffiths' Reincarnation. Mozgus, Isidro, etc etc. The ending would be a cliffhanger...all these things going on and BOOM...credits. (If required I can greatly expand how the order of things would be)

Movie 4: Berserk: Wings of Light and Darkness - The movie opens with the sunrise...dust settling from the collapsed tower. Guts and co. are safe. Guts' sees Skull Knight pointing into the horizon...Griffith and Zodd. The Kushans arrive, Guts flees with Casca. Hill of Swords battle. The Beast becomes more prevelant. Puck tells Guts about Elfhelm. Isidro, Farnese and Serpico meet up with Guts. Schierke is introduced..everything with the Trolls and Qliphoth all the way to Flora's house ablaze..Guts puts on the Berserk Armor and takes on Grunbeld. The ending would be them on the beach right outside Vritannis...with Skull Knight watching from afar.

Movie 5: What is going on now and in the future...

Hopefully I haven't missed anything extremely important...I'm sure one of u will pick up my slack on this one. The movies would def. need to be 3 hour or more...so all in all, until Berserk is over definitively...A Berserk Live Action doesn't really stand a chance. But stranger things have happened.
   :chomp: :chomp: :chomp:

AFTERTHOUGHTS: Gut's sword would have to done in Post Production, he could have a handle with a green screen (piece) on it and animators would have to go in later and add his sword among of things in.
                          Another reason this SAGA will most likely never happen is due to an issue with the actors. While filming Cast Away, the crew shot half of the film, the waited for Tom Hanks to grow out his hair, lose weight and they took either a few months or a year break. Now everyone at the studio was flipping out becuze they spent millions on HALF a movie...now what if Tom Hanks died in the meantime? This was talked about in the commentary....same thing for Berserk, what if shooting these 5 + movies back to back the actor plaing Guts died? More food for thought.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Feanor said:
Lord of the Rings was a succesfull movie. I think it shows that BERSERK could be the same.

First, the LotR adaptation was only relatively successful like DemonX said, I myself am not satisfied of numerous parts of the movies. And I'm much, MUCH more into Berserk than I could ever be into LotR, so imagine the result. Second, LotR is a novel series, Berserk is a graphic novel series. For the LotR movies they used still illustrations by famous painters to help define the imagery, but with Berserk they'd need to use the manga. And that simply wouldn't work. People would compare the two, and it would inevitably raise complaints. Plus a trilogy wouldn't be enough.

Proj2501 said:
However, let's think about this plausibly. If someone were to make a movie, some things would NEED to be left out.

Making a "Berserk saga" on film isn't plausible. Acknowledging that, why would something need to be left out in an imaginary ideal case? What's the reason exactly? You've got a budget for 5 movies but not 6?

Proj2501 said:
the Eclipse could be done...

It would cost a lot of money to make it look good, and I mean a lot as in unrealistically costly.

Proj2501 said:
Movie 3: Berserk : Retribution - THE WHOLE ROSHINU CHAPTER SHOULDN'T BE ADDED...this is an instance where fans would get upset...but think critically, is it truly needed?

Of course it's needed. There's no Retribution arc without the Lost Children chapter. It's vital for the development of Guts' character as well as his relationship with Puck (among other things), it nuances the nature and essence of apostles (and brings light on one of the apostles that destroyed the Hawks' camp). It's also how the H.I.C.K. actually catch up with Guts and manage to capture him, their motives being explained on the way, etc. And it's one of the coolest parts of the manga on every level, that alone suffices to make it an obligatory addition.

Proj2501 said:
Gut's Inner Demon is introduced (maybe this could be done in the first film, a flash of the demon...not explained in film one but in film 3)

Why introduce it earlier? It's completely useless and serves no purpose. It's perfect where it is: right after the Lost Children chapter.

Proj2501 said:
Silat and Ganishka are introuduced briefly.

Again, why not following what's in the manga?

Proj2501 said:
Hopefully I haven't missed anything extremely important...I'm sure one of u will pick up my slack on this one.

Well I don't feel like writing an essay on the matter, but your description doesn't sound like something I'd like to see.

Proj2501 said:
Gut's sword would have to done in Post Production

And when he cuts people in half, he does it with a green stick too? My point is that everything besides characters standing still would have to be done in post production.

Berserk will never work as a movie. Here's why:

1) The money. It would require perhaps 10 films. Each would be at least 3 hours long. The budget would be astronomical, given the sheer amount of special effects involved.

2) The audience. Berserk would be a hard-R fantasy series. It doesn't have a large enough built-in fanbase to justify the cost. Some teenagers would go see it for the "cool factor"; other would see it because they have good taste in film. However, teenagers are for the most part morons when it comes to cinema (I am one; I can say it) and so the teenage audience would be small. Adults...well, they wouldn't flock to it. It wouldn't attract families. Furthermore, the Rebirth arc would be dead in the water in the Bible Belt.

3) The content. Berserk in its current form would receive an NC-17. The violence would need to be severely toned down-not in quantity, but it can't be as graphic. There's also too much rape in the series; that would have to change. The sexuality would have to be lessened. The torture sequences would need to be toned down...oh, and there's that little problem known as The Eclipse. Toning it down would lessen the impact but retaining it would garner an automatic NC-17. Hell, just showing Casca's rape would get the NC-17 not to mention the Hawks being ripped apart.

Combine all of those factors and Berserk will never happen. The only chance it would happen would be if manga experienced a massive boom in America and Berserk's popularity skyrocketed to the level of The Da Vinci Code...that's what it would take to justify dropping at least $3 billion (which is a low estimate) on Berserk. That is to say; there will never be a Berserk movie of any quality.

P

pearleet

This is really wishfull thinking as it takes so influence up the yin yang to make something into live action, unless its already been done.
It would have to be a trilogy and origional fans would have to suck it up and enjoy it even if most things are left out. Strip down the story to its most basic and coolest elements. Go by the anime more than the manga. Tighten it up.
The fan base will grow to massive proportions and only then can we think about additional movies to add in the story gaps (think star wars). Until then they cant be noticable.
We can't induge ourselves in the complete berserk universe however wonderful. Not if we are really serious about continuing thought on this thread.
I am darkly obsessed by this idea. If anyone else is we need to think realisticly. Script it. Get permission. Try to sell it to a studio. Goodknight.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I just realized that the best suggestion to me is still the one Griffith made 3 years ago in the first reply to this thread: a dark and stylish movie covering only the Black Swordsman arc.

pearleet said:
Strip down the story to its most basic and coolest elements. Go by the anime more than the manga.

There's a contradiction here, as the anime left out most of the cool elements of the manga. And really, why make a movie if it's to go by the anime? Just for the sake of it?

pearleet said:
It would have to be a trilogy and origional fans would have to suck it up and enjoy it even if most things are left out. [...] The fan base will grow to massive proportions and only then can we think about additional movies to add in the story gaps (think star wars). Until then they cant be noticable. We can't induge ourselves in the complete berserk universe however wonderful.

Why even try to get it adapted into a movie then? This sounds like a nightmare honestly.

Depending on where, how, and who makes the film, a Berserk movie or movies, or a berserk like movie could be made. Hell they made Casshern for 10 million US dollars and that movie looks far better than most stuff out there. Sin City was made for only 40 million. It doesnt take a 100 million plus to film a movie if you use a lot of blue screen (and arent George Lucas).

P

pearleet

Aazealh, an honor. I regaurd your posts very highly.
The elements of 'coolness' are usually based on opinion.
A berserk committee of fans could hash this out.
Some peoples dreams are other peoples nightmares.
The road to glory is paved with the dead. :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
pearleet said:
Aazealh, an honor. I regaurd your posts very highly.

Haha well, thanks. :serpico:

pearleet said:
The elements of 'coolness' are usually based on opinion. A berserk committee of fans could hash this out.

Of course, however few are the people that think Wyald, Silat, SK, the Snail Count and all the story post volume 13 aren't cool. The best way (that should satisfy everyone) would be to stick to the original as far as I'm concerned. Besides I think the only needed opinion would be Miura's.

First off, the idea of a Berserk film does not excite me, but makes me fearful, with people throwing around names like the Rock for Guts - well I feel ill. The potential for it to be transformed into utter crap is to high (Most film makers have few qualms with totally altering a script from its source material, I mean for god sake look at all the crap Peter Jackson added to the Lord of the Rings and he loved the source material).
And, since I absolutely agree with Aazealh stance on keeping the story intact. I.E. cutting (or worse compositing) any of the arch's from the manga would be a huge mistake at the very least.

Moving on:

coolerimmortal said:
Berserk will never work as a movie. Here's why:

1) The money. It would require perhaps 10 films. Each would be at least 3 hours long. The budget would be astronomical, given the sheer amount of special effects involved.

2) The audience. Berserk would be a hard-R fantasy series. It doesn't have a large enough built-in fanbase to justify the cost. Some teenagers would go see it for the "cool factor"; other would see it because they have good taste in film. However, teenagers are for the most part morons when it comes to cinema (I am one; I can say it) and so the teenage audience would be small. Adults...well, they wouldn't flock to it. It wouldn't attract families. Furthermore, the Rebirth arc would be dead in the water in the Bible Belt.

1) To add to what you are saying: Having 10 3 hour films could possibly cover the last Thirty volumes, but how many more volumes of Berserk will there be. It could easily run for another thirty. Besides being highly expensive it would be a massive undertaking that could very well take twenty-five years to complete (if you could film it in one giant swath).

2) Good taste in film... that is assuming the film would be anygood. It could likely end up being a Uwe Boll project for fuck's sake. But other than that you raise a good point about audiences.

coolerimmortal said:
3) The content. Berserk in its current form would receive an NC-17. The violence would need to be severely toned down-not in quantity, but it can't be as graphic. There's also too much rape in the series; that would have to change. The sexuality would have to be lessened. The torture sequences would need to be toned down...oh, and there's that little problem known as The Eclipse. Toning it down would lessen the impact but retaining it would garner an automatic NC-17. Hell, just showing Casca's rape would get the NC-17 not to mention the Hawks being ripped apart.

Combine all of those factors and Berserk will never happen. The only chance it would happen would be if manga experienced a massive boom in America and Berserk's popularity skyrocketed to the level of The Da Vinci Code...that's what it would take to justify dropping at least $3 billion (which is a low estimate) on Berserk. That is to say; there will never be a Berserk movie of any quality.

Ratings wise I agree, especially if it was made, shot for shot from the manga (showing seminal and vaginal fluid running down Caska's inner thigh would be pretty hardcore).

Top Bottom