Berserk Saga Project News

You lucky man, SaiyajinNoOuji!! Thanks for the heads up about June and other details. Was it a full house? It would be rad if they served Berserk themed food at the theater as well. Eat and watch Berserk :zodd:. Just typed out 4/5 questions for you but I'll wait and watch the movie.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
IncantatioN said:
You lucky man, SaiyajinNoOuji!! Thanks for the heads up about June and other details. Was it a full house? It would be rad if they served Berserk themed food at the theater as well. Eat and watch Berserk :zodd:. Just typed out 4/5 questions for you but I'll wait and watch the movie.
there were 10 people including me. :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
SO MUCH TO SAY! Will write a bit later. But for now, looks like this is streaming live right now. You need a membership (it's free), but check it out. Nothing really interesting yet. Just people holding up the life size DS... lol.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv75950258
Yeah, watching it myself. It's just a feed showing people hanging out at the Berserk cafe. Unsure if it's those who just came out of the theaters, but I think it is. Neat though. Everyone seems excited. (lol, somone just dropped it after trying to lift it. Hahaha, "This ain't no kid's toy!")

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Bare with me since im typing this via my smartphone and i have some sausage fingers. They did cut/condense some stuff but i dont think it really detracted from the main story line. Guts childhood and some of the smaller battles were shortened to small 5 second quips. Everything else though... woah. The music set the atmosphere tremendously. I was pumped from start to finish. Even though i already knew what happened, i was still excited.
I have many questions ... foremost though, regarding the childhood sequence, is it the one with Gambino petting the dogs, then lifting his head up, showing where Guts cut him? It should precede the scene where he wakes with Casca sleeping next to him. Also, do they show Donovan, or is it only a shadow?

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
there were 10 people including me. :puck:
:magni: DAMN. Is that normal for a Saturday late morning/ early afternoon show in Okinawa or you think it'll pack up at night? Maybe reviews of it being good (per media consensus) may urge more people to watch it. I can imagine the mother covering her kids' eyes at all the gory scenes :ganishka:

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Bare with me since im typing this via my smartphone and i have some sausage fingers. They did cut/condense some stuff but i dont think it really detracted from the main story line. Guts childhood and some of the smaller battles were shortened to small 5 second quips. Everything else though... woah. The music set the atmosphere tremendously. I was pumped from start to finish. Even though i already knew what happened, i was still excited.

Great news! I'm eagerly awaiting an International release. :guts:

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
I have many questions ... foremost though, regarding the childhood sequence, is it the one with Gambino petting the dogs, then lifting his head up, showing where Guts cut him? It should precede the scene where he wakes with Casca sleeping next to him. Also, do they show Donovan, or is it only a shadow?
it happens like this.. SPOILORS

After Griffith beats Guts the first time, he is having a dream/halucination... during that time it shows really briefly and blurry as shit.. his fight with gambino where he cuts his nose, being raped by donovan.. it didnt show him doing the act, just his crosseyed ugly face laughing while you see Gut's legs flailing around, gambino trying to kill him, him setting fire to the hut, being chassed by the soldiers, and then with Gambino sitting on a chair and his head sliding off. After that he wakes up and Casca is next to him. She gets up (see all of her :carcus:) and proceeds to him meeting the rest of the Band.

IncantatioN said:
:magni: DAMN. Is that normal for a Saturday late morning/ early afternoon show in Okinawa or you think it'll pack up at night? Maybe reviews of it being good (per media consensus) may urge more people to watch it. I can imagine the mother covering her kids' eyes at all the gory scenes :ganishka:

No. Okinawa is really, ugh, not into a lot of things that mainland is into. I could go on about that but... maybe it will get busy at night... granted a lot of people still have to work on Saturday so maybe Saturday Night/Sunday, there will be more... but I bought all the goods including the OST! =V going to load up pretty soon.

EDIT: Clarified more things in the spoilers area...

Awesome, I am excited to hear the OST. I want to get my paws on it ASAP.

Thanks a lot for these updates. I have been checking for reviews all over since it opened in Japan--you have done a real service for us dedicated Berserk fans. :p

S

supa_pokute

Yea thanks SaiyajinNoOuji for all the information; I can't wait to see it. Now that you have seen the full movie, did you enjoy the new voice actors and actresses?

SaiyajinNoOuji

supa_pokute said:
Yea thanks SaiyajinNoOuji for all the information; I can't wait to see it. Now that you have seen the full movie, did you enjoy the new voice actors and actresses?
No problem all. :guts:

I like the voice actors.. I already know of some of them since the dude who does Guts.. he was on Kamen Riders OOO'z which my son liked... also the guy who does Bazuso is a famous Comedian. i think their voices fit very well.

Thanks for all the information SaiyajinNoOuji. I know that you enjoyed the movie, but can i ask you something ? How much would you rate the movie from a scale 1 to 10 ?

SaiyajinNoOuji

Joe Chip said:
Thanks for all the information SaiyajinNoOuji. I know that you enjoyed the movie, but can i ask you something ? How much would you rate the movie from a scale 1 to 10 ?

I give it an 8. There were some moments where you felt the emotion of what was going on. A spoiler I suppose....
When Guts kills Julius's son... and he has that moment of understanding and regret. I felt for him... I cant recall if it was in the manga but Guts makes a small attempt to comfort him by holding his hand... but there was a bit of hesitation... I dont know. I think they did that portion really well. I could really get the emotions they were trying to convey and I think that was a huge improvement over the original series.

If a budget was a real concern and hence why the animation was rather choppy in a few scenes... then if they would have improved on that, it would have been a 9. Also the fact that they tried to squeeze so much in only an hour and some change... I guess it goes back to the budget. They could have easily fitted that portion of the story into 2 hours and been a bit more detailed to our liking... regardless I will be getting this when it comes out on DVD/BlueRay.

Speaking of that scene with Julius' son SaiyajinNoOuji, I must know about the ninja mask/assassin's shroud. How long does it stay on? Just how large precisely is its role?

EDIT: Same scene, does Guts still attempt the assassination with a different sword?

SaiyajinNoOuji

Handmade_lion said:
Speaking of that scene with Julius' son SaiyajinNoOuji, I must know about the ninja mask/assassin's shroud. How long does it stay on? Just how large precisely is its role?

After he kills Julius it falls off... from there he kills his son and when the guards find him, he puts it on and gets the fuck out of there. It stays on until he evades the guards.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I give it an 8. There were some moments where you felt the emotion of what was going on.
Alright, thank you my friend. I can't wait to see it now. I doubt it will come in the big screen over here but i'll order the Blue Ray as soon as possible !

I'm really happy to see the first ten minutes, especially the title sequence, which urinates on "Tell me Why" from a great height. It's great to hear Hirasawa back in a Berserk production and to get a feel for how far they want to take this project.

The questions I have for SaiyajinNoOuji is, would you be able to describe the ending and how well it's closed off? Do you get a chance to see a preview for the next film? If so, what footage is shown? and what are your impressions of the fight scene with Zodd, is the animation consistent for that scene?

JezzaX said:
I'm really happy to see the first ten minutes, especially the title sequence, which urinates on "Tell me Why" from a great height. It's great to hear Hirasawa back in a Berserk production and to get a feel for how far they want to take this project.

HAHAHA Amen to that, Hirasawa's music took the 97 anime to a whole new level, here's to hoping he stays with the project.

SaiyajinNoOuji

JezzaX said:
The questions I have for SaiyajinNoOuji is, would you be able to describe the ending and how well it's closed off? Do you get a chance to see a preview for the next film? If so, what footage is shown? and what are your impressions of the fight scene with Zodd, is the animation consistent for that scene?
Spoilers ahoy!

The ends mood is pretty dark since Guts feels a lot of regret about what he did to Julius and his son... also after hearing Griffith talk about his dream and how his only friend are those that have a dream of their own... you feel bad for Guts. From there you see clips of the next movie and it shows you the 100 man slayer portions, Guts and Griffith's duel, Griffith having his way with Charlotte, God Hands, Skullknight... everyone!

I'm exicited for it, but its not until June. :farnese:

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Spoilers ahoy!

The ends mood is pretty dark since Guts feels a lot of regret about what he did to Julius and his son... also after hearing Griffith talk about his dream and how his only friend are those that have a dream of their own... you feel bad for Guts. From there you see clips of the next movie and it shows you the 100 man slayer portions, Guts and Griffith's duel, Griffith having his way with Charlotte, God Hands, Skullknight... everyone!

I'm exicited for it, but its not until June. :farnese:

Brilliant, thank you for that. I'm really looking forward to seeing the end of the film as well now :guts:
When you say "everyone", I assume that doesn't include Wyald?

Also, going back and watching the opening a second time made me overlook the choppy animation in places and appreciate the clip for what it is and it's much better on second viewing without assessing every detail. Guts' walk up to Bazuso does the job of making seem like a true bad ass.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
This part piques my interest. I wonder what exactly did Studio 4°C had to offer that the other animation companies didn't?

The answer was in the post you quoted: a pilot.

Señor Caudillo said:
I have mixed feelings about this. The making and releasing of the films with the worldwide audiences in mind, it also possibly leaves open the door for censorship, in an effort to make them "appealing" to such audiences,. Which means that particularly unsavory characters like Wyald and their scenes might get cut.

Material's already been extensively cut, and would have probably been regardless of the international release. I don't see how anyone could possibly twist the prospect of an international release into a bad thing.

Señor Caudillo said:
Well, then I was right all along, when I mentioned few months ago the Berserk movie's shoddy CGI visuals having to do with its shoestring budget. But hey, even though they can't seem to have enough money to hire more (and better experienced) animators, at least Studio 4°C can still afford that medieval swordfighting "expert" guy as a consultant

No, you were wrong and exaggerating to the point of trolling, as usual. They don't have a "shoestring" budget, and you're definitely not in a place to judge their animators. You know what? I think you've been defiling this place for way too long, and clearly you're never going to change. So I think this is where our paths are going to part. So long.

JoeZeon said:
Well in a perfect world, Berserk wouldn't be censored in the least. But Berserk is a very mature series and even though it has a great following, I don't think they could fund the rest of the project if only Berserk fans go. Personally I'm willing to sacrifice parts like Wylad, for the chance that we can finally see Post-Eclipse animated.

They have to cut things in order for the movies to get a manageable rating anyway, but you're not reasoning correctly here. It's not like these movies are being made to gather money so that the rest of the story can be animated. Rather they chose to do that section of the story to make money, and if they deem it profitable enough, they'll animate the rest. But cutting parts here and there is definitely not a sacrifice made in order to get something else. Same goes for "attracting new fans". The hypothetical people who would be turned off by the fight against Wyald would also be turned off by the Conviction arc.

hellrasinbrasin said:
I'm sure that fans will get to see the more extreme material with a DVD release.

That's just wishful thinking at this point.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
After Griffith beats Guts the first time, he is having a dream/halucination... during that time it shows really briefly and blurry as shit.. his fight with gambino where he cuts his nose, being raped by donovan.. it didnt show him doing the act, just his crosseyed ugly face laughing while you see Guts legs flailing around, gambino trying to kill him, him setting fire to the hut, being chassed by the soldiers, and then with Gambino sitting on a chair and his head sliding off. After that he wakes up and Casca is next to him. She gets up (see all of her :carcus:) and proceeds to him meeting the rest of the Band.

So they just altered and slightly beefed up the original nightmare sequence from the manga, as expected.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
When Guts kills Julius's son... and he has that moment of understanding and regret. I felt for him... I cant recall if it was in the manga but Guts makes a small attempt to comfort him by holding his hand... but there was a bit of hesitation... I dont know. I think they did that portion really well. I could really get the emotions they were trying to convey and I think that was a huge improvement over the original series.

Yeah it's in the manga.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Looking through my pamphlet, next movie is june 23rd. Also it mentions the third movie but no date.

I thought I saw somewhere that it's at the end of the year, likely November/December, but it's speculative, so don't quote me on that.

If they continue to do 3 films a year until they have covered all the content from the manga, it should give the manga a good chance to gain more ground and material in that time to justify yet more films. I'm looking forward to seeing how the later content is covered. Hopefully, these first few films will do well enough to warrant a higher budget to make sure the animation is improved upon later.

OMG! I really love the credits, putting some manga images in there. :p

But after the dragonslayer was in the background you can see guts face as the black swordsman, is it just me or does his face look very thin?

And I have the feeling, overall its a bit too bright... maybe when the demons come they will tone it down alot to have a nice contrast when things were good and when it all went to hell.

Top Bottom