Bioshock!

Interesting game. Sadly it goes along with FPS sterotypes... it lacks replay value. Hey, its better then a Doom whatever for replay value, but thats about it. The graphics are on par with Gears of War and most of the other quality games coming out. Had to admit the first hour or so had me freaking, since the sounds effects are great and enemies like to sneak up on you sometimes, even when they don't the blades scrapping the floor has a nice effect. It has a pretty freaky look to it too, not quite berserk gore and shock but it comes close. Honestly could have been much longer. I'm not a very avid gamer at all and it still only took me a day. Had a few nice twists and loved the weapon variety but some were just not usefull at all and felt like extra filling. Alot of unanswered history in the game and not to impressed with the ending I saw. Not cutting it down to much, the ending are never good with FSP's. My opinion, unless you are hardcore FPS fan its a fun and diff game and has mch more good qualities then bad, but nevertheless its a rental.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Doom's replayability will continue long after everyone's moved on from Bioshock to the next big thing, exactly because Doom is more simplistic and straight-forward. On that note, as far as comparison to System Shock 2 goes, Bioshock is definitely watered down.

Griffith No More! said:
Doom's replayability will continue long after everyone's moved on from Bioshock to the next big thing, exactly because Doom is more simplistic and straight-forward. On that note, as far as comparison to System Shock 2 goes, Bioshock is definitely watered down.
Doom has far more replayability than Bioshock for a multitude of reasons, like you said Doom's simplicity ensures this, however the "moved on to the next Big Thing"...well, just in all fairness, I'm not a fan of nostalgia being a part of my "experience" (GNM remember's my cross vs trigger statement). I'm more than certain in " X amount of years, hyped game F replaces BioShock", to hold onto a game in a convented immovable position would ruin any experience for me. However, in ALL fairness there are only about five or ten [aka, handful] out of the mile high tower of video games to have any sort of merit to go back and replay not only more than once, but ten+ years down the road and still feel the same amount of enjoyment or at least not just be a boring trip down memory lane.

As for the SS2 note, I don't know if you've played Bio in full or not [a question, versus objection], and maybe its irrelevant, but the watered down statement isreallyfar fetched. The only thing that hinders it in comparison to SS2 is the choice of preference when it comes to development and a far more easy game on the normal setting+vita chambers (which I refused to use anyways, god damn that free will!) I had a much better experience with BioShock than SS2, and as an "FPS" in general, let alone just being a damn fine game.

Griffith

On Doom, I wasn’t taking nostalgia into account (though as a CC booster myself, I remember your stance well), but granted, it can’t be thought of separate from it’s grandfather status at this point, but I simply think it holds up regardless in terms of fun (that’s why it’s still being ported =).

Manji said:
As for the SS2 note, I don't know if you've played Bio in full or not [a question, versus objection], and maybe its irrelevant, but the watered down statement isreallyfar fetched. The only thing that hinders it in comparison to SS2 is the choice of preference when it comes to development and a far more easy game on the normal setting+vita chambers (which I refused to use anyways, god damn that free will!) I had a much better experience with BioShock than SS2, and as an "FPS" in general, let alone just being a damn fine game.

Well, I don’t think it’s so far fetched since you basically explained what I meant. As you say, there were real choices of consequence and development to make in System Shock 2, ones that would seriously affect your playing experience or even your ability to finish the game (which added to the replay value). There were penalties for resurrection, and for better or worse, I feel it was just a little more complicated overall (things like mixing chemicals rather than taking photographs). Anyway, it’s all relative, maybe my choice of words sounded disparaging, but I just don’t wholly agree with the comparison because of the differences we’ve covered (which are more important to some than others); obviously, you got more enjoyment out of what could just as well be described as a more streamlined experience.

It’s like Bioshock is somewhere between the simplicity of Doom and the complexity of System Shock 2, which I only say to bring this post to full circle close. =)

Griffith No More! said:
Well, I don’t think it’s so far fetched since you basically explained what I meant. As you say, there were real choices of consequence and development to make in System Shock 2, ones that would seriously affect your playing experience or even your ability to finish the game (which added to the replay value). There were penalties for resurrection, and for better or worse, I feel it was just a little more complicated overall (things like mixing chemicals rather than taking photographs). Anyway, it’s all relative, maybe my choice of words sounded disparaging, but I just don’t wholly agree with the comparison because of the differences we’ve covered (which are more important to some than others); obviously, you got more enjoyment out of what could just as well be described as a more streamlined experience.

It’s like Bioshock is somewhere between the simplicity of Doom and the complexity of System Shock 2, which I only say to bring this post to full circle close. =)

You're definitely correct, System Shock 2 has a lot more complexity in a general scale over development/difficulty, and BioShock falls in between the simple/complex lines of that and Doom. But my only counter to that was basically saying that didn't hamper the game to me when held in comparison to S.S.2, namely in that I Almost approached it with less of indirect/spiritual sequel [if anything, I think the error is in the billing of the game as such] and more of a stand alone game that just happened to be made by the former developers. A difference in outlook, so to speak, when it came to playing the game.

Griffith

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IBkT0Oi97E

A Bioshock review that agrees it's like System Shock 2. :guts:

And I didn't bring up the Fallout thing myself because it would have seemed petty and biased as I'm a Fallout fan, but I did happen to notice. =)

Griffith No More! said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IBkT0Oi97E
Video's gone, copyright issue =/

Being that I was at near completion last week and came back to finish the game today, I have to say the "good" ending to BioShock was probably the most fulfilling I've had in an FPS game for quite awhile. It was short, "sweet" and simple, nothing overly bloated or cliffhanging. In general, its a better one-time playthrough, but I certainly wouldn't mind playing it again later this year. As for story issues...
Spoilers:
I found it kind of odd that the "Becoming Big Daddy" part seemed "irreversible" and that many of the things/moments seemed to implement a "permanent" grafting of pieces to the body, so as to how in the elevator you just remove everything and go back to being normal, well I guess it's possible Tenebaum fixed you up, but the larnyx part seemed pretty irreversible, maybe he just grunted to communicate for the rest of his life? Also, Ryan should have known he was creating a Dystopia and that his Utopia was impossible, but at least he somewhat acknowledged that.

I think people really need to see this, because it sounds like it's pretty dead on from what I hear from more reliable gaming sources (that is, not console fans).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1394-Zero-Punctuation-BioShock

Granted I haven't played it yet, my system won't run it so I'll have to wait. I'm sure it'll be fun, but nothing special.

Griffith

Oh cool, that's the same review I tried posting but, as Manji noted, it was removed. Good stuff.

Just finished this game on the 360. I would highly recommend it, one of the best games I have played in a good while. Maybe not up to all the hype it got, but still very enjoyable.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I finished it today. Great game. I'm not sure what the hype was promising, but I'd say it delivered on all the aspects I'd heard it praised for.
I'm replaying it again already on hard and already I'm finding things I didn't see the first time around.

Top Bottom