Bioshock!

I'm not going to defend the over abundance of WWII shooters, but the complaint could also be construed (in a broad manner), "I'm sick of games where there's conflict in an interesting locale."
The "We dug too deep!" scenario is pretty much done to death, but if the initial plot catch is followed by some meaningful development it can still be fun.

What would you prefer? A love story in Cleveland? Sounds fun Schierke
I'd like to see something that doesn't involve saving miners/settlers/soldiers/THE WORLD, something along the lines of "one-man-army off to conquer an alien world" :void:

BTW here are the system requirements for PC, beauty comes with a price I guess:
Minimum Requirements

CPU - Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor
System RAM - 1GB
Video Card - Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).
Sound Card - 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card
Hard disc space - 8GB free space

Recommended Requirements
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo processor
System RAM - 2GB
Video card - DX9 - Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better) / DX10 - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better
Sound Card - Sound Blaster X-Fi series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)​

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
the complaint could also be construed (in a broad manner), "I'm sick of games where there's conflict in an interesting locale."

I think that's the point, first person shooters have become about as nuanced as that description. =)

CnC said:
What would you prefer? A love story in Cleveland? Sounds fun :schierke:

That brings up a good point, I don't see what seemingly limits FPS games more than others, because I can honestly imagine other genres seriously staging a love story in Cleveland within the action, but the second you stage it in a first person engine, all they can do is have monsters jumping around (that need to be shot!), the girl dying in the opening cinema, and the game's called...

cleaveland.jpg

Anyway, the System Shock guys are awesome, they're who I think of when I think of FPS games that transcend, "Monsters are loose, and you gotta shoot'em!" Though, it is included. :guts:

Dirty Dog

Griffith No More! said:
That brings up a good point, I don't see what seemingly limits FPS games more than others, because I can honestly imagine other genres seriously staging a love story in Cleveland within the action, but the second you stage it in a first person engine, all they can do is have monsters jumping around (that need to be shot!), the girl dying in the opening cinema, and the game's called...

http://www.skullknight.net/griffith/cleaveland.jpg​

Griff, that's actually pretty good. I was thinking something more along the lines of a stalker killing all a young lady's "suitors" until he's the only guy interested in her, at which point he takes her, realizes she's not what he expected, and has to kill her too. However, yours is actually a lot less stupid.

btw, how long does it take you to make those images on a whim like that...? they're brilliant sometimes

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:

http://www.skullknight.net/griffith/cleaveland.jpg​

They killed your girl?! Thats the love story?!

...you're fired...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
Since I posted that, I was already signed to a three game deal by Valve. :carcus:

I wish there was some kind of first person game that wasn't by GNM. They're so played out.

GNM games < WWII :casca:

Griffith

CnC said:
I wish there was some kind of first person game that wasn't by GNM. They're so played out.

GNM games < WWII :casca:

Then you'll love my next one, it's a total FPS original; it's about this species of drooling, sharp-toothed, monstrously inhuman alien demon cyborgs that have only now, July 2011, received radio waves of Hitler's speeches, convincing them to become Nazis and join the fight on Earth, the only problem is they're 66.6 years late! Now, only you, former Rabbi Sgt. Moses Goldberg M.D., on the final outpost before Earth, space station The Star of David, can save the now utopian planet by... you guessed it, shooting them!!!

It's tentatively titled WWII 2: World War III Battle for Earth, and it's already pre-sold 500,000 units. :troll:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
Then you'll love my next one, it's a total FPS original; it's about this species of drooling, sharp-toothed, monstrously inhuman alien demon cyborgs that have only now, July 2011, received radio waves of Hitler's speeches, convincing them to become Nazis and join the fight on Earth, the only problem is they're 66.6 years late! Now, only you, former Rabbi Sgt. Moses Goldberg M.D., on the final outpost before Earth, space station The Star of David, can save the now utopian planet by... you guessed it, shooting them!!!

It's tentatively titled WWII 2: World War III Battle for Earth, and it's already pre-sold 500,000 units. :troll:

gnm_game.jpg

Cummon, Boys! We're going to take Normandy... again!​

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/931329.asp

Well its got a 99% from about 10 sites, with most of them calling it a work of art as much as it is an excellent game to both play and look at.

CnC

Ad Oculos
HawaiianStallion said:
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/931329.asp

Well its got a 99% from about 10 sites, with most of them calling it a work of art as much as it is an excellent game to both play and look at.

Looks like a winner. I'm in.

I have been eyeing this for a while. I an quite interested, like most others, to see if the AI is really that much different. We'll see. :puck:

- C

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I'll have to wait several months before I upgrade my piece o'shite though.

Edit: I don't think this trailer was already displayed. I love the style they're going for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYorK3E4aM

Edit Again: Another sweet vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuIrEJnTbfM

I pre-ordered the Limited Edition a few days ago (2 things I usually don't do). Kinda glad I did cause my local Gamestop already got their shipment in, and were only allotted 4 (I got the last reserve :) ). Next day, Gamestop stops selling the LE off their website lol, guess they all got pre-ordered. There's already a couple copies that have been pre-sold on Ebay for much more than it costs in store lol. Waiting anxiously for Tuesday so I can go pick it up and play it... I've been obsessing over it xD

P.S. I'm not dead yet, even though I haven't posted here in a while.. xD

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
It's awesome so far! I played the game for a hour before work at a friend's house and it is amazing! I didn't get a chance to confront a big daddy yet but hopefully after work I'll get anonther go. Wow, I'm starting to want a 360 again!

I picked it up this morning, I've been playing all day xD. Fighting Big Daddies are awesome, you'd think they would be slow as hell but man... once you provoke them... ouch. Since I got the LE, I got the Big Daddy figure, quite awesome, it seems to be made of ceramic with metal accents. The tip of the drill was broken, but it seems pretty common. Apparently 2k Games is going to replace them free of charge to anyone who purchased them, AND throw in a BioShock art book for the inconvenience. Quite awesome of them.

Edit: http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/busted/ website for busted Big Daddies

Just got my copy. Played for a few minutes but I gotta study for 2 bio tests. :judo: I'll probably get to play on Thursday. So far so good guys?

Well apparently my news of getting a 360 wasn't relevant, at least the rest were on topic :daiba:

As for Bioshock, bought it this morning. Been playing it off and on for two hours. -Fantastic- game, definitely a lot of System Shock/2 influences or "Successor..ing", I've had two "Oh shi-" moments already, but I'll refrain from spoiling. Beautiful to look at, yet, apparently, there are bitching by people who do not even own the game, and by threatening their non purchase, therefore take priority over people who have far less valid opinions, you know, actually those who went out and bought it, those cop out jackasses! Oh well, at least some played the demo.
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4883

So far it hasn't bugged me. Resident Evil 4 wasn't hampered on the Gamecube by being letterboxed and the PS2 version wasn't a god send by shifting into full widescreen, so its a moot point if you don't know what to expect (lol at IT'LL PLAY LIKE ITS A SNIPER ZOOM!!!111) Of course, obviously 2k will just sit on their asses, bankrupt, from all the bleeding va..excuse me, I meant the people of,
"We won't buy this product till our demands are met!"

Oh well, I'm going to go cry while playing Bioshock and start demanding a refund.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So, the game is being lauded by the most highly-regarded reviewers as revolutionary and possibly Game of The Year, but people are complaining about it not being in widescreen? Wow. Fuck you, Internet. Just, fuck you.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
So, the game is being lauded by the most highly-regarded reviewers as revolutionary and possibly Game of The Year, but people are complaining about it not being in widescreen? Wow. Fuck you, Internet. Just, fuck you.

Don't people do this for like every game though? I mean complaining about trivial shit and threatening not to buy the game until their demands are met, etc. I always imagined that it was basically what every single official video game message board was filled with.

Anyway, I'd really like to give this game a shot, but I'm afraid my old PC isn't up to the task... Look forward to my feedback in 2012!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Those SFX boxes are fuckin' ruining the experience.
You know what, Dark horse? FUCK YOU. I ain't buying it. You've lost a customer.

...oh wait what were we talking about again?

Griffith

I played it and... it was an FPS. =)

Reminded me of Doom III, except it had style, stuff happened, and you could see. Oh, and haha to everyone dying to play this that hasn't yet when I don't care but opportunistically got there first. Again, HA HA. :troll:

Top Bottom