Bioshock!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"Griffith No More!" said:
I played it and... it was an FPS. =)

Reminded me of Doom III, except it had style, stuff happened, and you could see. Oh, and haha to everyone dying to play this that hasn't yet when I don't care but opportunistically got there first. Again, HA HA. :troll:
I read the demo for BioShock was vastly underwhelming compared with the ffinal game.

Walter said:
I read the demo for BioShock was vastly underwhelming compared with the ffinal game.

Yeah, it was pretty short and just gave you a tiny taste of what was going to be in the final game, but in my opinion, it gave you a good idea of the atmosphere, and what sort of things to look forward to. The demo is basically the first 20 minutes of the actual game, except they threw in a plasmid, couple of weapons, and some security cameras in a bit early, just to show you a variety of ways to approach a situation I guess. With that said, the game is fucking amazing lol.

On another note, anyone read how Take-Two's (2K games [Publisher of BioShock] parent company) stocks jumped 10% on the day of BioShock's release?

My ego soared this afternoon. I actually got into a pretty big debate with a friend that they intended BioShock to have a certain FOV, thus why the horizontal line stays in such a way and yet the vertical is cropped due to -poor- 4:3 adjustments, not 16:9 widescreen "bugs". He insisted it was just them shipping out a crappy rushed resolution.

To be blunt, the game was intended to be this way from the get go. A lot of people are over reacting and claiming (and do this by showing cropped images of BioShock itself...lmao...) that it was some fluke in the game's final developments. For those who doubt, someone pointed out to me even that the trailers themselves show the same ratio. For those who want the whole story, here it is verbatim from 2k:
We understand there has been some concern about the implementation of widescreen mode in BioShock. Hopefully, we can clarify how we’ve chosen to do this.

The first thing we want to make clear is the mode we developed the game on and the optimal mode for playing the game is the widescreen mode. 90% of our development stations were widescreen displays: artists, programmers and designers.

- BioShock was primarily developed and tuned for widescreen mode. Artists and designers worked with widescreen displays and chose a field of view (FOV) that best reflected their intentions with respect to the way the world is perceived, the perceived speed of movement of the player relative to the world and the amount of the world they wanted to be viewed for the best game-play experience. We went through dozens of iterations and finally settled upon a widescreen aspect ratio that best suited the gameplay experience.

- When playing in widescreen modes the game makes use of the full screen resolution, and does not crop or stretch a lower resolution image into a wide screen one. For example, at 720p the game renders natively to the full 1280x720 resolution.

- Once this FOV was established, we chose to keep exactly the same horizontal FOV for standard def displays, so as not to in any way alter the gameplay experience.

- Instead of cropping the FOV for 4:3 displays and making all 4:3 owners mad in doing so, we slightly extended the vertical FOV for standard def mode: we never wanted to have black bars on people’s displays. (This way, everybody is happy…) This does mean that people playing on a standard def display see slightly more vertical space, but, this does not significantly affect the game-play experience and, we felt that it best served our goal of keeping the game experience as close as possible to the original design and art vision on both types of displays. Reports of the widescreen FOV being a crop of the 4:3 FOV are completely false.

One thing we can assure you that all these decisions were made with the best interests of the game in mind. We didn’t save any money or development time by choosing this set of parameters. We did what we thought was the best thing for the game: developing and optimizing it for widescreen displays, and making the decision not to do the usual crop for 4:3 displays. As a consumer, you certainly have the right to disagree.

We understand that not all users might not be happy with these choices and we will be looking into options for allowing users to adjust FOV settings manually. But as we mentioned earlier, changes to video game code do not happen in minutes or hours. We appreciate your understanding.

This was also a relief off my chest knowing that I wasn't making a blind argument and wasn't playing an unfinished game myself, but the way it was intended. Really, it is art. I personally wouldn't mind playing through "FULL" widescreen if they ever release a patch, but claiming the game made a fatal flaw in design is madness. Seriously, for anyone lacking it, its a great game to me so far and please disregard all the minorities who were quick to jump the gun.

I almost wet myself while watching all the trailers of this game. I want to have its' babies! :guts:

I wish I could afford a 360 and the game... Or a better PC and the game, LMAO. Being poor sucks. :ganishka: I'm going to start living vicariously through you guys. :p

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
You told me Doom 3 was the best game ever made. :???:

:ganishka:

Walter said:

I wouldn't know, I've never played the demo. Sounds like the same old excuse every new "best game ever" makes though for why you don't have that guaranteed spiritual movement by only playing the demo. =)

bagdad_bob_large.gif

"I assure you, it's more than just a video game using the latest technology, it's a life altering experience you can't describe! It's like the sweetest sounding unplayed note! It's like it fulfills a biological need we never even knew we had; it's satisfaction on a genetic level! You know sex? It's like the new sex! It's Sex 2!"​

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Well check this out, there is a serious bug for wide screen users where it shows it being a zoomed up version thus cutting out many buttons.. also the biggest one is that you can only install the game twice... ever. :griff:

My intuition tells me you didn't read all the posts in the thread before posting this. :chomp: Honestly those issues sound like bullshit to me. It's like people have never bought a PC game on release before. It'll be patched like always and it doesn't even really impair the experience.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
My intuition tells me you didn't read all the posts in the thread before posting this. :chomp: Honestly those issues sound like bullshit to me. It's like people have never bought a PC game on release before. It'll be patched like always and it doesn't even really impair the experience.
Well there was another article on Digg that had a fix for the wide screen issue. SOme guy had to make a hack for it but I don't know how its a bullshit issue. Sure it will be patched but don't you think its kind of a blaring one? Having wide screen monitors is pretty common these day's so it shouldn't have to be an issue right away. I don't even have the game but still, it seems like it should have been something that should never have been issue. Just my opinion. =P

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sure it will be patched but don't you think its kind of a blaring one? Having wide screen monitors is pretty common these day's so it shouldn't have to be an issue right away. I don't even have the game but still, it seems like it should have been something that should never have been issue. Just my opinion. =P

Actually no, I don't think it's that bothering, especially in light of what Manji posted in the thread. Of course that's also just my opinion. :void:

So, for everyone who is playing this game, are you harvesting or saving the little sisters? This sux, now I'll have to play it twice to see what difference it makes to the game. :judo:

Proj2501 said:
So, for everyone who is playing this game, are you harvesting or saving the little sisters? This sux, now I'll have to play it twice to see what difference it makes to the game. :judo:

First game through, I'm saving them. The game has multiple endings, so I'm assuming harvesting/saving has an effect on that.

"Griffith No More!" said:

Why do I never like Somethingawful reviews? Half the time I cant tell whether they're just jaded disillisioned ass holes pandering to the very same tunnel visioned people as themselves... or they're just trying to be funny. Not to mention I love the random plugs for the PS3 version which isnt even announced.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
Why do I never like Somethingawful reviews? Half the time I cant tell whether they're just jaded disillisioned ass holes pandering to the very same tunnel visioned people as themselves... or they're just trying to be funny. Not to mention I love the random plugs for the PS3 version which isnt even announced.
It's TruthMedia dude, and you just failed.

HawaiianStallion said:
Not to mention I love the random plugs for the PS3 version which isnt even announced.

Isn't announced, and doubt it will ever be announced. Microsoft payed for PC and 360 exclusivity.

In Ken Levine's words

"I promise you, there is no secret plan about the PS3 that we're keeping from people. There's no PS3 development going on that we're hiding. There's lots of stuff that gets into game code, plans change over time and we got an exclusive deal with Microsoft ... that's not a Rosetta Stone discovery."

Full interview here: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/24/joystiq-interviews-bioshocks-ken-levine-about-success-and-harve/

On other note, the replacement Big Daddy site has gone up here: http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/busted/

And... they have released the score for BioShock in mp3 format for anyone who wants it right here: http://downloads.2kgames.com/bioshock/BioShock_Score.zip

Well there was another article on Digg that had a fix for the wide screen issue. SOme guy had to make a hack for it but I don't know how its a bullshit issue. Sure it will be patched but don't you think its kind of a blaring one? Having wide screen monitors is pretty common these day's so it shouldn't have to be an issue right away. I don't even have the game but still, it seems like it should have been something that should never have been issue. Just my opinion. =P
The problem is, as Aazealh pointed out in my post, the "wide-screen" FOV is NOT an issue or a bug. This is the intended version for the game. It is not "zoomed", again, the 4:3 ratio is just stretched out. Its like taking a piece of paper (or better yet, JPG) and stretching out the image vertically...aka, Tall Screen. Play something like Ikaruga to see what "Tall Screen" is. That is all this issue revolves around...essentially people shitting themselves with an over paranoia that they are -missing- something. The only thing being done is Irrational (now 2k) saying "Ok, I guess some people don't like the way we intended the game, we'll release a patch for widescreen fans to enjoy it in -their- own way"

Secondly, the reason people would even "feel" anything is wrong is that BioShock is designed with decently accurate ranges for the human eye, and not a fish lens, found in things like Half Life and Counter Strike. This is what is annoying people, those used to an unrealistic (yes, fictional vidya gaems in mind here) Field of View that allows a player to see all their surroundings for a strategic viewpoint. BioShock was made to limit this and thus allow a more "correct eye". The game never gets hard enough, to which I will admit the SA review was right, where you actually need some extra range. Everything works perfectly the way it was intended, to stretch it out in my own opinion just ruins it. Obviously, asides from people just bitching about a minor "request", aka not a bug/issue/technical problem, there are actually some people who just want a wide-screen game and that's just fine, but let's be honest, most people are just ranting to do that. Again, had they just letterboxed the 4:3, nobody would care. Even Kline, spell check, said he would have been shocked in past tense to find such madness in the future.

Anyways,As long as they fix a patch for my smell-o-vision problems I won't return my game. How is this "innovative" or "revolutionary" without smell sensing technologies?

Ok, just beat this ish. I got the mega-happy ending. I will say it was a fun game to play, but by no means did it live it to the INSANE-O hype it received. It was a good play, not a great one.

Truth be told, I'm not so eager to replay that whole thing just to see the alt. ending.

Moving on. Just bought a PS3...here we go. :schierke:

Proj2501 said:
Ok, just beat this ish. I got the mega-happy ending. I will say it was a fun game to play, but by no means did it live it to the INSANE-O hype it received.
Well that's like, your opinion man! Kidding aside, I really don't ever see the point of hype killing a game, or anything really. Not to mention its an FPS, once I knew the gist of BioShock, I expected a next gen System Shock 2 and well thats what we got imo. Even when I partook in "mass hype" I never reached a point where I felt a game "under delivered" to any point I [personally] wasn't responsible for giving it, so its more of an issue of fucking yourself over and less of a game betraying your personal expectations.
Except DMC2. God damn it.
Fuck.
Now I'm depressed.

Well at least you enjoyed it, and like me you went for saving the little sisters. Me personally, I will replay it simply for a kill everything attitude. It effects my karma without doing so.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/bioshock-truthmedia-flames.php

Let me just add a link to one they forgot:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=6866.msg138328#msg138328

Idk. I've played games like MGS, Resident Evil, Halo and a bunch of other games to death. Over and over again. Hell I popped in MGS3 the other night, havent played that game in over a year and I still could remember where everything was etc. But, with Bioshock and games that don't blow me away, once is kind of enough. Who with me on this? Obv. not Manji.
What urked me about BioShock:
For those of you who are playing, have beaten or will play...I'll use the *Spoiler* feature not to piss anyone off...
A) I remember reading "O how dif. the enemies will react". They were pretty standard IMHO.
B) They made such a big deal over how the enviornment would come into play...did it?
C) Absolutely NO memorable boss fights. None. At all. Someone challenge me on this...I dare you. I'm not saying every game under the sun has to be like MGS or RE, but come on. Andrew Ryan this, Andrew Ryan that and when you finally meet the guy in the flesh, all is settled with a golf club. Meh. And Fontaine, in the end, a golden looking hulk-wannabe.
D) The ending... :schierke:
All in all, I learned a lesson for the future.
Hype can Kill.

Edit:
Well, it looks like Bioshock is better than Lair.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/lair/review.html?sid=6178017&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot
Ouch.

CnC

Ad Oculos
dude I dunno. I caved in and attempted to run the demo on my PC. And despite the framerate being kinda wonky and the lower resolution, I still thought the mood and surroundings were awesome. I'm still excited to play the full version.

ouch. a 4.5 for lair? Thats harsh

Warning: Somewhere between point A and B of making a paragraph reply, this became an essay. Those forewarned, find a better way to waste ten minutes of your life than I just did.

Griffith No More! said:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/bioshock-truthmedia-flames.php

Let me just add a link to one they forgot:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=6866.msg138328#msg138328

I laughed. Kinda. Anyways, the TM "review" isn't entirely inaccurate, for the typical "8.8" internet fiasco crowd. Just to touch upon my own issues with the game.

The enemy models aren't all that awe-inspiring in general, and often betray the actual "voice" data pictures that goes along with their model, or are already "deformed" so they didn't go through the trouble of making an accurate NPC depiction. Enemy AI at times can be (versus stupid) rather "basic". The whole self-healing with medical machines/running for water when on fire is nothing more than an interesting twist on otherwise generic AI. Big Daddies are generally very scripted events and can often enter repeating, Example, killing a big daddy/harvesting a sister and returning to the same exact area and finding a new sister in daddy in the same spot [note: I've yet to catch anything but "one" sister spawn and that was while I was at a gatherer's garden and one popped with a package after saving the other]

To further this, the plasmids combined with the rationing of ammo creates (like System Shock 2) more of a counter balance of "it doesn't matter" and less "use your brain!". Finally, its somewhat of a mood killer to have to load up your game (at least on the 360) and have to wait a few seconds for the pixel shading/textures to kick in and actually start making shit look superb.

Sounds like a lot of negatives, but eh, I do this with everything I adore. Only an arrogant fool can sit back and proclaim something as flawless or perfect and claim to understand and appreciate it as they do without bothering with the details.
Or some other philosophical innuendo that pretends to be insightful.

As for Proj, not to be a nitpicking douche, but here's the underlining factors.

-The enemy AI was decent, and whatever the developers said about the enemies sans typical developer hype came to fruition. They built up an atmosphere, they required some "different" tactics for disposal, and they would find ways to prolong their lives. Maybe not to the degree you personally imagined, but again, to believe "AI" is reaching any perfection point is a bit dry thinking, and I can't think of too many games that stand out and above (namely in the FPS genre) without an equal amount of flawed delivery and "hype".
-I think like a trailer, 2k fucked up and basically unveiled everything that was in the game early on. Frying people in water, melting ice, telekinesis, hacking, RPG elements, weapon upgrades, using enemies against each other...Its all pretty "fresh" material, but again, there aren't too many games that introduce an ever lasting novelty. Most people aren't flailing away on Guitar Hero 30 minutes later or swinging the wiimote around in a batshit nature proclaiming loudly "WOW, this is incredibly innovative for gaming! I've never had to do this before!"
Like BioShock, you have your ten second "Oh Shit!" experience and its over.
-Third, I think too many people come into this game and others with a similiar approach to dealing with "prime enemies" with the cliche` insight expecting 10 minute trial and error epic battles with a 10x longer lifebar to deal with. Again, viewing scripted encounters as boss battles is the reason you have a sour feeling, they just aren't boss battles to begin with other than the very basic "definition".
-Finally, eh, endings, I'd somewhat agree but saying more than 5% of video games leave me with a satisfying ending is...well, pretty accurate. Its pretty much, like movies, personal taste as to how rewarding the experience was and justifiable for its conclusion. I guarantee whenever it happens SK will be ablaze with controversy if Berserk's ending was "worth the wait", to which I'm pretty sure most people already know the reply.

CnC said:
dude I dunno. I caved in and attempted to run the demo on my PC. And despite the framerate being kinda wonky and the lower resolution, I still thought the mood and surroundings were awesome. I'm still excited to play the full version.

ouch. a 4.5 for lair? Thats harsh

If you like what you've seen so far than you'll get the same out of the full version. The atmosphere is what makes the game so spectacular, so if that's what you're riding on as being a persistent appealing factor than it works perfectly in that regard.
As for Lair, sucks to see it being hammered so. I had somewhat decent hopes for it, but halfway in (and having not watched gameplay) I gave up on it. And it looked quite epic too.

Top Bottom