Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (spoilers)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
FateINwaiting said:
I been looking for a crissograhm clone or how ever you spell it from symphony of the night or a clone =( but no luck

Are you talking about the valmanway? It's a pain but you have to synthesize that sucker!
Here's a list of the weapons and souls needed to synthesize

create this by......combining this sword + this enemy soul

Cutlass..........: Short Sword + Armor Knight
Long Sword.......: Cutlass + Corpseweed
Fragarach........: Long Sword + Great Armor
Hrunting.........: Fragarach + Mollusca
Mystletain.......: Fragarach + Treant
Joyeuse..........: Hrunting + Killer Clown
Joyeuse..........: Mystletain + Killer Clown
Milician's Sword.: Joyeuse + Catoblepas
Ice Brand........: Joyeuse + Frozen Shade
Laevatain........: Joyeuse + Ukoback
Burtgang.........: Milician's Sword + Iron Golem
Burtgang.........: Ice Brand + Iron Golem
Burtgang.........: Laevatain + Iron Golem
Kaladbolg........: Burtgang + Arc Demon
Valmanway........: Kaladbolg + Abaddon

Stinks that you have to use a boss soul to finally synthesize it, but I heard its worth it!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jesus.. all that work just to be able to attack while walking?

In SotN, Alucard Shield + Shield Rod > Crissogram anyway :miura:

Alucard Shield and Shield Rod = The embodiment of God. That's how cheap that is. The boss Galimoth was one of the toughest bosses in that game if not the toughest. But with those two items that boss and everything else is equal to dust in the wind.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucalb said:
Even easier than White Night Concerto?

You mean Harmony of Dissonance? The Japanese title would be "Concerto of the
Midnight Sun"... And yes, I'd say SOTN is easier, maybe equally easy at best but not more difficult. It's shorter though, given the platform.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucalb said:
Oh, SOTN. I thought you meant Dawn Of Sorrow was easy. My bad, got 'em mixed up. :???:

No problem, and DoS isn't that easy compared to previous titles. It's not as difficult as Circle of the Moon (which wasn't so difficult anyway), but some bosses give you a bit of a challenge and it's generally less of a piece of cake than AoS for example.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Just finished Julius mode and I have to say WOW. The final boss + the song Illusionary Dance= good times. When I heard the song in the sound test I was wondering when they were going to use it considering its the fight dracula theme. Then I remembered that Soma is Dracula and I was excited that they used the song for the fight with him. I love that song. In my opinion the first five minutes of Symphony of the Night was one of the most exciting and cool moments in gaming history. And I'm a sucker for chessy voice acting.

I LOVE THIS GAME!
GO BUY A DS JUST FOR THIS GAME!
I DID!

I am like lvl 37 now. Been working on my Katanas as of late. I need the Malachi soul now. Also have the axe up to the final guard soul. I keep axe on one set of buttons and katana on the other. This game is everything I wanted it to be, now where is my new 2d Metroid game for DS damnit!!!

Curse of Darkness was just as good as Lament of Innocence. :schierke:

Seriously, another disappointing CV game, why am I not surprised. The story was decent enough, but the defeat of Dracula was remeniscent of the defeat of a certain silver haired villain from a movie that a lot of people seem to hate.

They should either emulate the big three (God of War, Devil May Cry, and Ninja Gaiden) if they want to make an excellent 3D game.

Though, I think they should stick with 2D.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
dwarfkicker said:
Curse of Darkness was just as good as Lament of Innocence. :schierke:

Seriously, another disappointing CV game, why am I not surprised.  The story was decent enough, but the defeat of Dracula was remeniscent of the defeat of a certain silver haired villain from a movie that a lot of people seem to hate.

They should either emulate the big three (God of War, Devil May Cry, and Ninja Gaiden) if they want to make an excellent 3D game. 

Though, I think they should stick with 2D

Really think so? I think that game has enough new gameplay (weapon synthesis, innocent devils, stealing,leveling, etc) that makes it 50 times better than LOI. I like to think of it as the "2d" 3d
Castlevania because of the numerous amounts of weapons and items and the ability to power level yourself and your familiars. I'll be honest here, unlike LOI this game kept me going to the very end and held my interest. I was not disappointed with the final battle with Dracula, ya know why? Because I was frickin' STOKED that Dracula was even in this game at all! When his castle popped up at the end of the game let me tell ya something on me popped up! (sorry, hardcore Castlevania fan). I will honestly say that I enjoyed this game just as much as Dawn of Sorrow. I may be sounding silly but I acknowledged everything this game threw at me. (awesome music, voice acting) A lot of people
have a hard time accepting Castlevania going 3d but this game did not disappoint me. Right now, I'm 30 hours in and I got a lot more to go. (and I haven't even played Crazy mode or Trevor mode)
This is the insane ramblings of a Castlevania fanatic and I think that hardcore Castlevania fans that get past the "its 3d" aspect will totally adore this game. I love it!

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
dwarfkicker said:
How could you have not known that Drac was in the game?  It was all over the concept artwork as well as the official artwork.

Because the two main characters in the game (Isacc and Hector) are devil forgemasters and are direct subordinates of Dracula. The game is a continuation of Castlevania 3 where Dracula was served by Trevor Belmont and slain. I did not expect to actually SEE Drac in the game.

Tenro

...You tit.
Walter said:
Jesus.. all that work just to be able to attack while walking? 

In SotN, Alucard Shield + Shield Rod > Crissogram anyway  :miura:

Oh, you did not just knock the holy Crissaegrim! It's not just attacking while moving, it's about hitting approximately 2000 times! On any enemy you can manuver around, it's sheer godliness!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tell Me Why said:
I don't know about you guys but my favorite Castlevania is Circle of the Moon. I LOVED the DSS card system of the game.

I liked it, even though playing it on the GBA without any backlighting was hell. It's not my favorite though.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Tell Me Why said:
I don't know about you guys but my favorite Castlevania is Circle of the Moon. I LOVED the DSS card system of the game.

I have an embarassing secret, guys. I never finished COTM. When I started playing it I just found it very unimpressive and did not have the patience to finish it. I think I will try it again over Christmas break. A lot of people say that this is the best handheld CV (This was before DoS came out) but I can't see how people liked it over Aria of Sorrow. I'll see..

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thread revival! :badbone:

I just got my DS yesterday and DoS this afternoon. So far I'm really digging it. Clearly the production level has been upgraded 10x since Aria of Sorrow. When I first jumped on that van parked outside Yoko's place, I sort of caught my breath in awe of the attention to detail. The game's just gorgeous.

Of course, by this point, more than a year since the game's been released, I'm already preaching to the converted. I just felt like I should share the love of this great game.

My only real complaint so far is that the level design is sometimes little lacking. There are a lot of "dead ends" for me right now, and I don't mean the kind where you need a certain soul to continue. I trekked 6-7 screens to get a fucking Combat Knife with an attack power of 16? Stuff like that just sort of pokes out to me in an otherwise masterful game design.

I just hope I haven't gotten too far in the game in the first day. I want this experience to laaaast. I just got the double-jump, so here's hoping I've only scratched the surface.

I've been a huge fan of Castlevania. Although I thought Simons Quest was kinda weird, I think the Castlevania on SNES did a great job graphic wise for it's time. But I think flat out SOTN is one of the greatest games to grace the planet.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
My only real complaint so far is that the level design is sometimes little lacking. There are a lot of "dead ends" for me right now, and I don't mean the kind where you need a certain soul to continue. I trekked 6-7 screens to get a fucking Combat Knife with an attack power of 16? Stuff like that just sort of pokes out to me in an otherwise masterful game design.

It's one of the main problem with recent Castlevania games to me. One of the things holding them back from being true masterpieces everytime one comes out. Anyway it's cool to know you're enjoying it. =)

Walter said:
I just hope I haven't gotten too far in the game in the first day. I want this experience to laaaast. I just got the double-jump, so here's hoping I've only scratched the surface.

Well I don't really remember when you get the double-jump, but this game is pretty long compared to the usual handheld episodes, so I think it'll last you a few days more. =)

Death May Die said:
I've been a huge fan of Castlevania. Although I thought Simons Quest was kinda weird, I think the Castlevania on SNES did a great job graphic wise for it's time. But I think flat out SOTN is one of the greatest games to grace the planet.

Well Simon's Quest was visionary for its time... And SOTN heavily draws inspiration from it so...

Walter said:
When I first jumped on that van parked outside Yoko's place, I sort of caught my breath in awe of the attention to detail. The game's just gorgeous.

I love little things like that.

Slight Spoiler for PoR:

[hide]In POR if you jump up and use that kick that shoots straight down on a shelf full of food items, crap shoots everywhere.[/hide]

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Yes, Walter got a DS! Now let us all enjoy some Castlevania talk like true gentleman! Anyway, sorry i haven't been active in this thread for a while, I've been playing the game WAY too much.

[hide]I'm about 30 hours in, game completed, all modes unlocked (minus one secret character), 999% map, 100% skills, 97%, items, and I still refuse to end my game until I get every single rare item drop (which can be rather tricky considering some enemies only appear in the nest of evil, so no speed killing)[/hide]

I've been having a great time with the game, you're in for a treat, Wally!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if it's just me with shitty luck (around 12 right now), but I've only gotten a dozen or so souls. Pretty scarce, really. Thankfully, I believe I've found my favorite, at least, it was my favorite TYPE of attack soul in AoS. For me, it's the "Killer Clown," who throws a card quickly through the air.

I'm sure there are flashier attack souls out there, but this one was always my favorite in AoS, where it was called "Evil Butcher."

PS: my lack of souls COULD be from my over-eagerness to imbue them in weapons as soon as I find them :beast:

PPS: Also, earlier in the thread Aaz said the US version would have US dialogue/SFX. Not so. In my copy, it's original japanese SFX galore.

Top Bottom