Dodole's doodles of Lame Title

Hey guys! This is my first post on this forum. Or practically any forum, ever.

So basically, I've been lurking around here for over 3 years, leeching on your general awesomess. So with lack of a better starting post about in-depth character analysis or major speculation, I'll start by making a thread to dump any berserk related doodle I'll make and find mildly worthy of being shared. Cause I love seeing berserk art. So perhaps other people do too. :casca:

So have a freshly drawn pre-eclipse Griff head. The man's lookin pissed! probably about losing his bitch. I miss the old Griffith, the godhandified version is annoyingly perfect. Wish he could FEEL something. :x

griff.jpg

And heeere's what started out as Farnese, and she ended up with messed up bangs that kinda don't look like Farnese's. But I thought it was rather recent and relevent.

farnese.jpg

And finally, a little preview of another thing I started around the end of May and haven't got to touch for a while,

guts4.jpg

Watch me as I turn astral-form Guts from the 2 page spread into what currently looks like a sensual, gay calendar-worthy image. But note that I haven't actually finished a fully colored and polished image in YEARS. Wish me luck.

Also, I'll try to look back into older sketchbooks, I think I had some decent Slan doodles somewhere. But I've never actually drawn a Guts I was satisfied with, it's terrible.

Oh, and crits are always welcome, of course.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Hey D0dole! Welcome to Skullknight! It's an awesome community with lots of testosterone. :guts:
Tsk tsk, you should know lurking is bad for your health. :schierke:

I actually really dig your sketch style. Very different from what you normally see.
It's pretty obvious you're comfortable with painting and drawing though, your proportions,
while different are a very welcome iteration.

Farnese especially reminds me of a very
western-comic book sort of likeness. I don't have any critiques, great skin tones on your paint-over.
Looking very natural, with great contrast and edges.

Cheese! Keep up the great work man!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Hey D0dole, this looks like an impressive sample of your work so far.

As far as critique goes, I would just say that your representation of Farnese appears older than how she looks in the manga (edit: or as Aphasia says, more westernized); either way, I probably wouldn't have guessed that it was her if I were shown the sketch out of context. I'm all for changing things up style-wise, though, so I commend your interpretation of Griffith in the first sketch! The hair and eyes look great.

And that coloration looks magnificent! I really do hope that you continue to work on it, because if you do I can guarantee you that it's going to end up as my wallpaper for a good long while. :ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
D0dole said:
Hey guys! This is my first post on this forum. Or practically any forum, ever.

So basically, I've been lurking around here for over 3 years, leeching on your general awesomess. So with lack of a better starting post about in-depth character analysis or major speculation, I'll start by making a thread to dump any berserk related doodle I'll make and find mildly worthy of being shared. Cause I love seeing berserk art. So perhaps other people do too. :casca:

Welcome D0dole! I like your approach on that colorization of Guts. As for the doodles, it's true they're not that resembling but I dig the style.

Wow, thanks guys!

@Aphasia: Wow, thanks! Very kind words. Only thing I wish I could fix is my "everything looks glossy" syndrome ;) Haha. You keep up the good work too! I've seen your stuff on this forum and on DA, you got a lot of great pieces. I actually just graduated from my 3D animation program, so of course your models caught my attention too. Lookin' good, lookin' good. :)

@Grail: Hey, thanks for the insight! :) I agree, she doesn't looks much like the actual Farnese, even considering the style difference. I think I'll observe her traits a bit more when I'll be reading the manga. I definitely intend to finish the colored Guts, if I get enough time in between work. Thanks a lot!

@Oburi: Thank you! I'll be working on it!

@Aazealh: Thanks a lot! Only thing bothering me with the colorisation the color and matter don't seem to fit the context. I'll see if I can find something to do with what I have so far. Thanks again!

@IncorrigibleThief Hehe thanks, I definitely will. :slan:

And here's a little doodle for fun. Spoilere'd for totally inoffensive boobies. (I mean, I CAN post this here right? Berserk is all about boobs and gore anyways! kidding)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/luvao/cascaJudo.jpg

And yeah, it's supposed to be Judo behind the tree. Such a sweet character buildup for such a sad, abrupt end :(

Aphasia

Great sketch there! Yeah, it's no big deal. In fact I would welcome such a doodle anytime. :ganishka: It's so cute the way Judo is looking around the corner!

I'm unsure what you mean by "everything looks glossy" Could you elaborate?

Thank you by the way, I appreciate your kind words. That's fantastic! I graduated recently, too. What kind of 3D work do you do?
I would love to see it. People who are well versed in drawing typically have a good sense in the third dimension, too.

Aphasia said:
Great sketch there! Yeah, it's no big deal. In fact I would welcome such a doodle anytime. :ganishka: It's so cute the way Judo is looking around the corner!

I'm unsure what you mean by "everything looks glossy" Could you elaborate?

Thank you by the way, I appreciate your kind words. That's fantastic! I graduated recently, too. What kind of 3D work do you do?
I would love to see it. People who are well versed in drawing typically have a good sense in the third dimension, too.

Haha, awesome, cause it's likely there'll be more in the future ;)

About the glossy thing... I mean it feels like I can't really deffine specific materials, everything looks like plastic... I always had a hard time with this :S

3D-wise, I mostly prefer modeling and texturing (preferably highres). Aaand bah, I might as well post this here http://audreyhotte.blogspot.com/

It's the progress of everything I made during my last semester (2 high-res characters, the teachers forced us to keep a blog updated) Anything else you might see there is from the 3rd semester. Feel free to look around, although everything's in french. Wish I had a better looking, fancy website to show but I have no idea how to make one, shame on me.

What about you? Mostly modeling I take it? :)

Aphasia

Hmm, you're referring to drawing, right? Because your 3D texturing seems to be top-notch...the materials look as they should, and on your valkyrie for example the metals and skin contrast nicely.
Did you use mental ray on the render of the booth or something else? Great reflections and shaders there. I'm entirely impressed with your work. Stop humbling me, I don't like it.

Wow, cool! I kind of wish my teacher had done that. Might have forced more of us to stay off our ass. Yeah, I enjoy painting in photoshop but get a lot of joy out of modeling and texturing (mostly low res, game models...although freedom that comes with high res is refreshing from time to time)

Great topology on your creature by the way. Edge flow looks great. Please post your 3D work here in the future, too. : ) I would love to see (and critique) if possible. Maybe you could do the same for me! I'm about to launch back into more 3D work so I could use some critical eyes. What is it you see yourself doing now that you're out of school?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
D0dole said:
@Aazealh: Thanks a lot! Only thing bothering me with the colorisation the color and matter don't seem to fit the context.

Yeah they're definitely off. Guts should probably look like he's made of light, shining from the inside with a whitish/golden light.

D0dole said:
And here's a little doodle for fun. Spoilere'd for totally inoffensive boobies. (I mean, I CAN post this here right? Berserk is all about boobs and gore anyways! kidding)

You can post link to nudes, no problem at all.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Oh hell yes, great stuff! Your sketch style is very pleasant and that 3D work looks top. Nice to see you here! :serpico:

Aphasia said:
Hmm, you're referring to drawing, right? Because your 3D texturing seems to be top-notch...the materials look as they should, and on your valkyrie for example the metals and skin contrast nicely.
Did you use mental ray on the render of the booth or something else? Great reflections and shaders there. I'm entirely impressed with your work. Stop humbling me, I don't like it.

Wow, cool! I kind of wish my teacher had done that. Might have forced more of us to stay off our ass. Yeah, I enjoy painting in photoshop but get a lot of joy out of modeling and texturing (mostly low res, game models...although freedom that comes with high res is refreshing from time to time)

Great topology on your creature by the way. Edge flow looks great. Please post your 3D work here in the future, too. : ) I would love to see (and critique) if possible. Maybe you could do the same for me! I'm about to launch back into more 3D work so I could use some critical eyes. What is it you see yourself doing now that you're out of school?

Haha no more compliments! You're making me blush. :farnese:

The glossy comment was refering to painting/coloring stuff digitally, not the 3D textures. Do you mean the kitchen? But yes, everything is rendered in mentalRay. I love digital painting too, cause I'm a major failure with actual paint and brushes. If I start out another big project I'll make sure to post it here. Critique and advice would be very appreciated then :) I'm not very good at giving out good crit but I'll do my best. I'd love to see more stuff from you!

As for what am I to do after school... well for now I (miraculously) got hired by a small video game company here in Ottawa. I'm working fulltime on contract for now, but if they hire me permanently I could see myself sticking with them for a while. Otherwise, I'd try to find a new job or maybe go back to school. What about you? Are you job-seeking?

Aazealh said:
Yeah they're definitely off. Guts should probably look like he's made of light, shining from the inside with a whitish/golden light.

Agreed, although I think I might stick to a solid flesh and bones version (Less trouble for me :) I'm terrible) I'll see if I can make it somewhat more glowy... or something.

Theoden said:
hey D0dole !

You got some nice sketches ! Your blog is also amazing ^^ =)...

Tu déchires ;)

Mercii!! Very kind of you. :casca:

Lithrael said:
Oh hell yes, great stuff! Your sketch style is very pleasant and that 3D work looks top. Nice to see you here! :serpico:

Wowza, thank you!! :ubik: Love your colorisations, you got some really great stuff going on! :)

HeavyWeather said:
I fully support gay calender Guts.
Ain't nothin' wrong with it. 8)

You have a beautiful style.

Hahaha, thanks! Agreed, nothing wrong at all :griffnotevil:

....I'm really abusing the emoticons.

...Oh well :slan:

Aphasia

Ah! I think you could remedy that by working more texture into your specular (and more texture, period, don't be afraid to rough guts up a bit.) and maybe turning the specular down a little bit.

Wow, that's too cool! sounds like a neat place to work. Best of luck in your new job. I'm not currently job seeking, but just working for a college doing web design part time. I'm building a new demo reel to replace my old one, because it's a mess and I'm quite ashamed of it. Really just taking it easy trying to sharpen my 3D skills until I have a decent portfolio.

I hear you...digital painting is just so convenient, I haven't painted with a brush in I don't know how long...for shame. I will lather you in critique, and hope you pull no punches on me. Being critiqued (and giving it) sharpens your eye as an artist considerably.

But they're just so fun to abuse, right? :slan:

Hmm yeah I'm gonna try out a few things to try and make it look more like actual skin.

Sounds fun, that's awesome :) I think it takes a lot of will and energy to make a new demo reel, when I finished mine it was such a huge relief I'm now scared to actually go back into full production mode :isidro:

I totally agree. And don't cut me any slack, I love crit. :casca: You can never see everything that's wrong with your pieces, so of course another pair of eyes is always welcome to judge my stuff. It good to hear you say that cause I'm always reticent to give any when not asked for it cause I know it pisses some people off, ouch.

Aphasia

Yeah, play around with adding a simple dimple or "dampled" effect throughout your highlights, helps a lot.

It's just sad because once you finish a demo it automatically becomes obsolete, because you're moving on to better work. (hopefully)

Don't worry! I do too, in fact...It's too bad people can be offended by it, you just have to learn to see it as an extreme compliment. (Someone took the time to make you better! They care about you being a technically proficient artist) weighed against someone who just says "Cool job epic lol kthx bye" Although those have their place as well.

It's easy to get jaded if you stare at something too long. Never good.

Aphasia said:
Yeah, play around with adding a simple dimple or "dampled" effect throughout your highlights, helps a lot.

It's just sad because once you finish a demo it automatically becomes obsolete, because you're moving on to better work. (hopefully)

Don't worry! I do too, in fact...It's too bad people can be offended by it, you just have to learn to see it as an extreme compliment. (Someone took the time to make you better! They care about you being a technically proficient artist) weighed against someone who just says "Cool job epic lol kthx bye" Although those have their place as well.

It's easy to get jaded if you stare at something too long. Never good.

Hmm I'll try that out, thanks! And of course we always move on to better works, it would be boring otherwise. :carcus:

Hey does anybody have any berserk fanart suggestions ? What would you guys like to see?

I like your stuff, you're very talented.

D0dole said:
Hey does anybody have any berserk fanart suggestions ? What would you guys like to see?

I'd like to see you make Ubik or Conrad.

Oburi said:
yea, I suggest you finish this, fast! :guts:

Haha I will, I will! M'working on it, slowly but surely ;)

Eluvei said:
I like your stuff, you're very talented.

I'd like to see you make Ubik or Conrad.

Thank you! Have Ubik, cause I think Conrad is lame :badbone:

ubik.jpg

Aphasia said:
Sonia would be awesome.

Will think about that... but for now sleep is calling, or else I'll pass out at work tomorrow :iva: I'll try to come up with something sometime this week.

Aphasia

Conrad is cool though! He is the silent plague that destroys civilization. :SK:

Seriously awesome Ubik..almost looks like he's wearing aviators. "Oh yeah"

Top Bottom