E3 News

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
Edit: This is bad news: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

Yea I was just about to post that.

I don't think I buy it. It would be the single most stupid move imagineable by Sony at this point (totally shitting on what good will they might have picked up with the price drop).

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
CnC said:
I don't think I buy it. It would be the single most stupid move imagineable by Sony at this point (totally shitting on what good will they might have picked up with the price drop).

Now I've had time to read the interview, he just sounded like a disgruntled SCEE member. SCEA hasn't commented on this, but I'm sure they will.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see what's pessimistic in saying nothing very interesting/new was announced or revealed. That's just how it is. This E3 was kind of a non-event and personally I wouldn't miss it if it hadn't happened. We get trailers and release dates all year long, this was just a conglomeration of several of them at once, plus keynotes.

And let's not pity devs too much either. The bigger developers were bothered because they felt the monetary cost wasn't worth the media attention the E3 gave the video game industry, that's all. They pushed the change as members of the deciding committee, it's not like the small guys were so exhausted from making demos that they decided to stop attending it.

And now what big event is left for the VG industry in the US? No more CES, a cadaverous E3... I'm not crying over the loss, and I'm sure there were good reasons to change the formula, but I can't say it's a success so far.

Uriel said:
Now I've had time to read the interview, he just sounded like a disgruntled SCEE member. SCEA hasn't commented on this, but I'm sure they will.

Not just a SCEE member, but the SCEE president... Even if it isn't true, it's still not so good for Sony that its divisions battle each other like this. At the same time, Sony's really been shitting on Europe lately so I'm going to side with the European dude. :p

Aazealh said:
I don't see what's pessimistic in saying nothing very interesting/new was announced or revealed. That's just how it is. This E3 was kind of a non-event and personally I wouldn't miss it if it hadn't happened. We get trailers and release dates all year long, this was just a conglomeration of several of them at once, plus keynotes.

And let's not pity devs too much either. The bigger developers were bothered because they felt the monetary cost wasn't worth the media attention the E3 gave the video game industry, that's all. They pushed the change as members of the deciding committee, it's not like the small guys were so exhausted from making demos that they decided to stop attending it.

And now what big event is left for the VG industry in the US? No more CES, a cadaverous E3... I'm not crying over the loss, and I'm sure there were good reasons to change the formula, but I can't say it's a success so far.

My point was more to the fact that E3 really has amounted to much for the last several years in a row, and all it has done is forced dev's to waste time developing demo's that they probably wont ever release to the public.

I dont pity dev's either but I'd rather they focus all their time into making good games, instead of pandering to a bunch of videogame "journalists" and what not.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
My point was more to the fact that E3 really has amounted to much for the last several years in a row, and all it has done is forced dev's to waste time developing demo's that they probably wont ever release to the public.

I dont pity dev's either but I'd rather they focus all their time into making good games, instead of pandering to a bunch of videogame "journalists" and what not.

Well I agree with you on that aspect of things, but on the other hand there is a need in every industry for strong events that give it visibility, sometimes going beyond the industry itself and touching the general public. That's also what the E3 was, and I deplore its loss as nothing is there to replace it. Maybe it had become too big in recent years, but now they've gone from one extreme to another and I don't think it's viable.

CnC

Ad Oculos
In even more strange price news, its possible the xbox 360 will be dropping 100 bucks on all SKU's this fall:

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Zero+Iscariot/things-just-got-re-interesting-er--35141.phtml

...Dunno how much credibility this has so take it with a grain of salt.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
...Dunno how much credibility this has so take it with a grain of salt.

Well it's never had a price drop so far, so one's bound to come at some point anyway. August 1st is a bit unrealistic to me (in 2 weeks without any announcement?), but I could see it for Thanksgiving for example.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Well it's never had a price drop so far, so one's bound to come at some point anyway. August 1st is a bit unrealistic to me (in 2 weeks without any announcement?), but I could see it for Thanksgiving for example.

Well it would be perfect for the fall line-up. One month before Halo 3 is pretty good timing, should it actually happen.

EDIT:
Looks like Sony says bollocks to... Sony:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/13/sony-says-60gb-is-not-over-in-us/

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
MGS4 has me by my balls.

It seems to have a vice grip on a lot of people here. I can't say I'm all too excited for it, specifically; but the combination of Drake's fortune, Heavenly Sword, Ratchett&Clank, Ninja Gaiden Sigma AND MGS4 with a Blu-ray player is indeed tempting.

I think my 360's going to keep me busy for the rest of the year tho.

The games that interest me so far are: MGS, Heavenly Sword, Tekken, Lair, a future God of War (didnt play part 2 yet), and Killzone 2. Was part 1 any good?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
The games that interest me so far are: MGS, Heavenly Sword, Tekken, Lair, a future God of War (didnt play part 2 yet), and Killzone 2. Was part 1 any good?

I can't believe you guys aren't mentioning FFXIII. It's the game I await most on PS3. Then it'd be Heavenly Sword and MGS4 I guess. Other than that and Ninja Gaiden Sigma I can't think of any game that interests me so far, though I'm sure in time there'll be plenty.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
There are rumors about a new location (NYC or Las Vegas) and an overall change for 2008's edition.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
There are rumors about a new location (NYC or Las Vegas) and an overall change for 2008's edition.

its pretty much anyones game right now. It looks like the feedback from this years show was positive so I'm sure we'll see something like this again.

iamdani

Hobo
Sony fanboys cometh.

What about that arsed up fake PS3 "Pricedrop" scandle? Peter Moore quiting? The $1billion red ring of death failure? PS3 being outsold by Wii 6:1 in Japan? Jeff Bell (Peter Moore replacement, Golden Axe, yeah!) trolling a user on a forum? The amazing PSP non re-design? The Nintendo Awesome 3 (Mario, Metroid and Smash Bros.) America Release Schedule? Silikon Knigh sueing Epic due to shoddy business practices? The endless MSG4 360 rumors? The 3rd backlash at PS3's "pricedrop"?

This been both an awesome an disasterous few weeks in the gaming world!

CnC

Ad Oculos
iamdani said:
Sony fanboys cometh.

What about that arsed up fake PS3 "Pricedrop" scandle? Peter Moore quiting? The $1billion red ring of death failure? PS3 being outsold by Wii 6:1 in Japan? Jeff Bell (Peter Moore replacement, Golden Axe, yeah!) trolling a user on a forum? The amazing PSP non re-design? The Nintendo Awesome 3 (Mario, Metroid and Smash Bros.) America Release Schedule? Silikon Knigh sueing Epic due to shoddy business practices? The endless MSG4 360 rumors? The 3rd backlash at PS3's "pricedrop"?

This been both an awesome an disasterous few weeks in the gaming world!

Well if you read the thread most of that is covered. And Jeff Bell isn't replacing Peter Moore, rather its Don Mattrick.

And the Silicon Knights suing Epic (note: spelling, man) isn't really E3 anymore.

iamdani

Hobo
Apparently it's main problem why Too Human had a craptacular E3 showing last year, and this year SK said they were having a seperate show just for Too Human, whilst I think the real reason was the forthcoming lawsuit.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
its pretty much anyones game right now. It looks like the feedback from this years show was positive so I'm sure we'll see something like this again.

Well that's from this site, who also called the E3 change last year before it was announced. And I'm surprised at what you're saying, I've mostly read mediocre feedback about the event.

iamdani said:

Well we can talk about all this if you want, what do you prefer to start with? The Wii already over 3 million units sold in Japan while the PS3 has yet to reach its first million (from Media Create charts, the only reliable ones)? Try to predict the number of DQIX copies that'll be sold on first week in Japan? Whether GTA IV will outsell Super Mario Galaxy? EA's supposed new interest in making original, creative games? Go ahead and make threads. =)

I'll probably pick up WARHAWK for PS3. That game's looking pretty sweet.

Honestly, who cares about the PS3 price drop "fiasco." There's plenty of inventory out there for those people who want one at the new price.

iamdani

Hobo
OmegaSeamaster said:
Honestly, who cares about the PS3 price drop "fiasco." There's plenty of inventory out there for those people who want one at the new price.

That really depends, people should care if they are being lyed to or misled. When it was announced, people assumed it was permanate, but it looks as if they are phasing out the model in question and the price reduction is a glorified fire sale.

I still don't think it's that big of an issue. I mean, if $499 is the magical price to get you to buy it, inventory won't run out probably until the holidays. Why would you be all excited about the price drop, then wait until next year to get one?

The odds are that the 80GB model will get a price drop after the 60GB supply is exhausted.

Personally, I'd go for the $499 PS3, only because it's still got the "emotion engine" chip in it.

The 80GB PS3 will be doing 100% of its PS2 emulation off of software in order to reduce production costs.

CnC

Ad Oculos
OmegaSeamaster said:
I still don't think it's that big of an issue. I mean, if $499 is the magical price to get you to buy it, inventory won't run out probably until the holidays. Why would you be all excited about the price drop, then wait until next year to get one?

Sony says around October.
Conveniently right before actual holiday purchases should begin. :schierke:

OmegaSeamaster said:
The odds are that the 80GB model will get a price drop after the 60GB supply is exhausted.

No way its happening. Reason is Sony Japan won't do it. 599$ without the emotion engine + cheaper cost of building Blu-Ray players means the Ps3 will likely be sold at a profit.

Top Bottom