E3 News

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Even being a big Nintendo supporter, Wii Fit looks totally unappealing to me. Then again, if it turns out to be as fun and addictive as Wii Sports then that may change.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I like what I have seen so far! MGS4's first english trailer wasn't all that amazing but there where some interesting moments.
The short Resident Evil 5 trailer was pretty neat with all the voodoo guys. I heard that Silent Hill 5 was announced last night but I have yet to see a trailer for it. I'm not much for first person shooters but there was some pretty cool looking ones (Bioshock, Crysis, Killzone 2, and the best looking one in my opinion is COD4)
I hope to see some cool DS games soon, or I may get upset! :zodd:
Oh yeah, and Wii fit looks uninteresting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Why the hell are there 15,000 Killzone 2 trailers on YouTube with comments spooging about how amazing the game looks. I must be getting old or have ADHD because I was utterly unimpressed, especially once the gameplay actually started. It looks like a poor man's Gears of War.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Why the hell are there 15,000 Killzone 2 trailers on YouTube with comments spooging about how amazing the game looks. I must be getting old or have ADHD because I was utterly unimpressed, especially once the gameplay actually started. It looks like a poor man's Gears of War.

Well, I think it looks good. Or at least the first minute or so when they're flying on the platform thingy that you'd think would need seatbelts. As soon as the shooting started it looked fairly standard.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
As soon as the shooting started it looked fairly standard.
Yeah... the game looks like the most generic FPS ever, yet its touted by fanboys as a Halo killer.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Yeah... the game looks like the most generic FPS ever, yet its touted by fanboys as a Halo killer.

I remember seeing the part of the bridge in one of the MGS 4 trailers.

This game is like a very shitty version of WW2.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Well Halo's pretty much the most generic FPS ever anyway. :chomp:

I found this E3 very depressing, it's clearly not going to last long in its current form. The only real news as far as I'm concerned is the new PSP, and there had been rumors about it for a year already.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Well Halo's pretty much the most generic FPS ever anyway. :chomp:

You TAKE THAT BACK!! Nah just kiddin'.

Aazealh said:
I found this E3 very depressing, it's clearly not going to last long in its current form.

Well its current form seems only to serve as a hype machine for the rest of the year. I'd say its still doing that to some degree

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
All those games are pretty shitty and lame, Call of Duty 4 looks good. :troll:

My only gripe with the COD series is that it might as well be a on-rails shooter. Scripted events to the max.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Yea its wierd. Its like the big 3 got together and agreed they weren't going to speak much about 2008

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Can we collectively do a quick roundup list of the most notable announcements? Surely it's not seriously this small...

I'll do the ones that were important to me:

Mario Kart Wii
New model PSP
Resident Evil 5 teaser
Silent Hill 5 trailer
Super Smash Brothers Brawl in December
MGS4 possibly not PS3 exclusive
Technically not during E3, but PS3 price drop
... am I missing something? :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Thats pretty much the "major" announcements, yea.

Stuff we didn't really know yet
MS:
Scene it! -don't care
Gears for PC - leaked but still pretty cool
Assassins Creed - now with more bugs!
Halo Xbox360 - meh
Halo 3 single player -some of the worst character animation yet!

Nintendon't:
Mario Kart -Looks pretty bad... but I'm sure it should be fun
Super Smash Brothers release date - nobody cheered. awkward silence
Wii Fitness- balance, Daniel-san!

Sony:
New PSP -now with... video out!
MGS4 Trailer
by the way Walter, its been confirmed as a PS3 exclusive
bunch of 3rd party coming to both platforms
Haze and UT3 timed exclusives - meh
Heavenly Sword - looks nice, I guess
Killzone - "look, see? its realtime now! we weren't lying afterall!"

Thats the stuff I pretty much noticed from the first 2 days. I'm probably missing something. but meh

CnC said:
Thats pretty much the "major" announcements, yea.

Stuff we didn't really know yet
MS:
Scene it! -don't care
Gears for PC - leaked but still pretty cool
Assassins Creed - now with more bugs!
Halo Xbox360 - meh
Halo 3 single player -some of the worst character animation yet!

Nintendon't:
Mario Kart -Looks pretty bad... but I'm sure it should be fun
Wii Fitness- balance, Daniel-san!

Sony:
New PSP -now with... video out!
MGS4 Trailer
by the way Walter, its been confirmed as a PS3 exclusive
bunch of 3rd party coming to both platforms
Haze and UT3 timed exclusives - meh
Heavenly Sword - looks nice, I guess
Killzone - "look, see? its realtime now! we weren't lying afterall!"

Thats the stuff I pretty much noticed from the first 2 days. I'm probably missing something. but meh

Man you guys sure are a pessimistic lot arent you. I wasnt expecting anything ground breaking or totally out of left field because... well that's the whole point of the new E3. They're trying to tone down the whole show because it was a pain in the ass for most dev's to rush out a demo just for the show when they could be spending it doing better things... like making their games fun and workable.

As to the games shown, Im not sure how anyone could really be down on Assassins Creed... and for bugs? The games not out till Christmas time and looks to be running quite well even with the huge and impressive looking worlds... not to mention its an E3 demo, ive seen them crash before and this game didnt even look to have much slow down so that's always good to me.

Killzone looks to have some crazy graphics but I still havent heard anything about the gameplay... at least they sorta lived up to their own hype in terms of graphics.

Gotta say I was surprised how good Halo 3 looked in SP and what bad animation? Most of what I saw actually looked like a huge step up from the last two games, especially with the Brutes beating people up and so forth.

Anyways it was what I expected from this new E3, a toned down version of what it used to be.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
CnC said:

I really wish Super Smash Brothers 3 would have more characters, but it's always the same character just different model [or slightly different stats]. Maybe if they added endings, put more characters in it instead of taking them out, and made the hidden characters easier to get for the people that don't have tons of friends to play this fucking game with; it may be worth an ooh and an aaah.

Oh how awesome I can be solid snake in a kids game! .... NOT!

They said awhile back that the new Smash Bros will have no more than 50 characters and no less than 35. I'm practically positive I read that somewhere.

CnC

Ad Oculos
HawaiianStallion said:
Man you guys sure are a pessimistic lot arent you. I wasnt expecting anything ground breaking or totally out of left field because... well that's the whole point of the new E3. They're trying to tone down the whole show because it was a pain in the ass for most dev's to rush out a demo just for the show when they could be spending it doing better things... like making their games fun and workable.

Well, its still pretty much the same kind of show but with fewer people more spread out. And the scope of the show was what was supposed to change, not the lack of new announcements. They didn't all get together and announce nothing TOO ground-breaking. It was just that what was shows wasn't all that new.
More consideration was given to how much a presentation would cost rather than how much would be presented.

HawaiianStallion said:
As to the games shown, Im not sure how anyone could really be down on Assassins Creed... and for bugs? The games not out till Christmas time and looks to be running quite well even with the huge and impressive looking worlds... not to mention its an E3 demo, ive seen them crash before and this game didnt even look to have much slow down so that's always good to me.

I'm not really down on it. I'm still really stoked for the game. I'm just noting that there were quite a few glitches in the presentation Jade Raymond gave on stage.

Not really being pessimistic... this is pretty much the consensus from those on the ground from the big 3 conferences. We'll be seeing more actual games as they get reported on.

---But that aside and about Smash Brothers... has anyone actually played it? Does it use the motion sensitivity or does it cop to the conventional controls?

CnC said:
Well, its still pretty much the same kind of show but with fewer people more spread out. And the scope of the show was what was supposed to change, not the lack of new announcements. They didn't all get together and announce nothing TOO ground-breaking. It was just that what was shows wasn't all that new.
More consideration was given to how much a presentation would cost rather than how much would be presented.

- Well I know a lot of developers didnt show much more than trailers or produce already seen demos, or just didnt show up at all like Capcom, Blizzard, etc. Its supposed to be the same idea behind the event but most dev's were tired working towards it and looking bad if they didnt live up to the grand expectations placed around the show (which hardly ever happened anymore in the last few years).

I look foward more to things like the Tokyo Game Show and company specific events like Blizzcon and so forth.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
While Im not particularly interested in Wii Fit, I think that sensor board is actually a pretty nifty device. Some random uses that popped into my head were a new 1080 snowboarding game that reads your shifting weight to control the board. I suppose that could also be used in a surfing or other similar game as well.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
*looks at watch*

...... *checks it again* Shit -- is Wii Fit here yet?! I cannot stand the waiting!

Edit: This is bad news: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

Top Bottom