Fans of other anime/mangas?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Locus of Agony said:
It's hard to find any manga anywhere near as good as Berserk, Akira came close, but it's over now.

Well, Akira was already almost over by the time Berserk started you know...

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
Bastard!! is funny in a Heavy Metal kind of way but not substantial enough for moi. :void:

And by "Akira is over now" I meant I'd finished collecting every volume. Sloppy, sorry.

I watch too much anime, but here are some of my favorites:

Twelve Kingdoms
Bleach (minus fillers)
Battle Programer Shirase
Welcome to the NHK!
Perfect Blue (if you like Paranoia Agent, you'll probably like this)
Grave of the Fireflies (and others by Ghibli)
Samurai Champloo
Ranma 1/2 (and others by Takahashi)
Scrapped Princess
Eureka 7
Elfen Lied
Furi Kuri
Akira
Speed Grapher

Femto the Raven

Anime wise I agree with your list irredeemable, though some those fall into my guilty pleasures list, I've watched and ejoyed all the ones you mentioned.

All the ghost in the shell movies and TV series are excellent, home to a level of polish all its own.

Utawarerumono also looks like its off to a good start, I'd like the whole presentation to be a little darker, but it still looks awesome.

Gankutsuo was exceptional.

Other than Berserk, I have read Ghost in the shell and Bleach mangas. Bleach has good art style and all but other than that..... not too good.

I have been interested into reading Blade of the Immortal, and Hellsing though.

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
So, I'm new and I wanna list what I'm into. This seems like the best place...
Now this list is in no way in any order other than the catagories. I really don't pick absolute favorites.

Favorite anime, all of which I've seen in their entirity:
Hellsing (anime and OVA), Trigun, Death Note, Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Gankustuou, and of course the obvious Berserk.
Others I've seen the majority of: Bleach (50 episodes), One Peice (160 episodes), and that's it for shonen. I've seen others that I've forgotten.
Others that arn't favorites but I've seen in entirty: Paranoai Agent, Kino's Journey, Inuyasha

Manga I've read: Berserk in entirety, Hellsing (scans too), Death Note, ES, Buddha, Phoenix, Vagabond. All of which are huge favorites of mine, I refuse to choose or compare.
I've also read most of Trigun, some Blade of the Immortal, some Monster, and a little of a million others.

[edit] oh right movies too...

Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust, *every* Miyazaki movie, Blood the last Vampire, Cat Soup, Dead Leaves, Akira (not a fan of Akira though)

Locus of Agony said:
Anime wise I agree with your list irredeemable, though some those fall into my guilty pleasures list, I've watched and ejoyed all the ones you mentioned.

All the ghost in the shell movies and TV series are excellent, home to a level of polish all its own.

Utawarerumono also looks like its off to a good start, I'd like the whole presentation to be a little darker, but it still looks awesome.

Gankutsuo was exceptional.
Yeah, well 'guilty pleasures' or no, I'm guessing there are some people unwilling to admit they enjoy some stuff.

I'll have to check some of that out. I wasn't a big fan of the ghost in the shell movie when I saw it about 10yrs ago, but it might just take another watch.

I forgot a few:

FullMetal Alchemist
Death Note
Fist of the North Star (movie - b/c making people explode w/ your fingers is just fucking badass)

Aeglos

For the sake of diversifying, Hajime no Ippo for me is the perfect thing to read while waiting and enjoying Berserk.
It's action packed, simple without being shallow, interesting without being overly dense, enjoyable characters nicely developed, and finally... it's funny as hell... many times I've had to stop reading so I can laugh my ass off and regain composture before going on. Takamura is tha master :troll:

Aeglos

sarahofborg said:
So what's it about besides sounding like the best manga ever?

Um, not really... we all know Berserk is the best manga ever :badbone:
It just suits my action-humor needs. It's about Boxing... like Slam Dunk but funnier and more action oriented. The main character is kinda of a wuss outside the ring, and a beast inside it. What really makes it shine is the support cast and the damn situations they get into between fights, it's masterfull, dumb irreverent humor at it's best.

It's a light, funny and entertaining story... not the BEST manga ever by a longshot, but pretty good nonetheless. If you are looking for something comparable to the scope and depth of Berserk, HnI is NOT your option. I think comparing it to the depth of Slam Dunk is pretty fair and accurate.

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
I didn't intend to insult the Great Berserk. I don't honestly pick favorites, you won't hear me say Berserk is the best manga ever. I love it to death but I just don't like to generalize.

I havn't read Slam Dunk but I've read Vagabond by the same author, and I love Vagabond to death but it's nothing like what you're describing. Well, if I see it on the bookshelf I'll glance at it anyway.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
sarahofborg said:
I havn't read Slam Dunk but I've read Vagabond by the same author, and I love Vagabond to death but it's nothing like what you're describing. Well, if I see it on the bookshelf I'll glance at it anyway.
To be fair, Vagabond is a completely different beast than Slam Dunk. Inoue has some range.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
sarahofborg said:
Yhea I never understood how the same artist could write both series. Seems like complete opposites to me.
On the contrary, I see many parallels in the characters and sense of humor between Slam Dunk and Vagabond. It's Inoue-laden throughout.

Come on, Sakuragi/Rukawa --> Musashi/Kojiro :carcus:

Femto the Raven

irredeemable said:
I'll have to check some of that out. I wasn't a big fan of the ghost in the shell movie when I saw it about 10yrs ago, but it might just take another watch.

You should probably stay away from the second movie also, though that one is almost worth watching just for the imagery.

The Ghost in the Shell TV series are probably more up your alley. Faster pacing, more action, smart stories, but not cerebral enough you lose interest. Plus I think the half hour chunk format suits a Ghost in the Shell series better then a two hour movie does.

March of Flames

Love Is Vengeance.
I was wondering if any of you have seen "Now and Then, Here and There". If you have is it worth buying for 25 dollars? I've heard it is extremely depressing but I was able to handle Grave of the Fireflies so I'm going to give it a shot some day. I'm also thinking about checking out Gun Sword when I get the chance.

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
I saw the first couple of episodes before I lost interest. Grave is much more depressing (although I never cried over it either. I'm just too detached :zodd:) It's just depressing in that nothing good, or interesting happens.
It's not worth $25, but if you could rent it or something (I saw it on On Demand) I'd give it a chance.

Ahmed

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
am fan vagabond for a manga and as for anime I like deathnote and I got back on naruto after the fillers are finished the show is getting better now

Zurkah

I'm huge in Germany. So's my
Didn't cry at Grave of the Fireflies!? You soulless beast! Really though, Now and Then, Here and There is worth watching...depressing as it may be. I'd rent it locally or online if that is an option since it doesn't have too much replay value. If you'd like to learn how to cry again, buy it, as well as some fresh onions, listen to The Cure all night, and watch NTHT followed by the Samurai X: Reflection OVA, while periodically glancing at the pages from the Birth of Feast where judeau and pippin meet their fate, and hire a homeless person to tell you his life story while he randomly jabs at you with his hobo knife screaming "Why wouldn't you ever hug me mommy!!!".

Anime-wise I did enjoy several of the more popular shows: Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin (except for the third season which mostly sucked bawls), Neon Genesis...Ninja Scroll and the Samurai X OVA's are a must see. There are a few other anime shows that generally go overlooked but I enjoyed just because they really felt at the heart of anime, for example: 3x3 Eyes, Blue Seed, Escaflowne, Nadesico, Slayers (1st season is fairly slow but second and third seasons really pick up). I recently re-watched Boogie Pop Phantom which also ain't too shabby if you're looking for a show leaning towards the spooky/bizarre. On the manga side of things, I haven't read too much, but Lone Wolf and Cub has been long but consistent with quality story lines, kenshin is lighter and fairly enjoyable, and it isn't hard to agree that Akira is a worthwhile addition to any manga collection (Look for the Barnes and Noble Hardbound edition if you can find it...tis sweet!).

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Manga: Naruto,Monster(still buying the volumes) ,Vagabond,Death Note,Slam Dunk

Anime:
Cowboy Bebop,Trigun,Slam Dunk,Monster,Night Head Genesis,Neon Genesis Evangelion,Cromartie Highschool,Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge(The Wallflower),Bleach,Naruto,Death Note,Akira,GITS the first movie,Ninja Scroll,Grave of the Fireflies, Perfect Blue,Tokyo Godfathers,Black Jack,and Wings of Honneamise. So far

Berserk was something that transcended "manga" to me, I list it as my favorite work of fiction as well. So now that we have that out of the way,

Manga: In no order favorite wise, this is just the shit you would find on my desk/shelves or that I have read, things such as Bleach, Eva, DB/Naruto...I'm not particularly fond of or namely haven't enjoyed since I was 12-14, but I still classify them as "good" reads.
Akira
Basilisk
BECK
Blade of the Immortal
Black Lagoon
Bleach
Chobits
Cromartie High School
Claymore
Death Note
Dragonball/Z
Fist of the North Star
Fullmetal Alchemist
Gantz
Get Backers
Ghost in the Shell
Golden Boy
Hellsing
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Naruto
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Lament of the Lamb
Lone Wolf and Cub
Old Boy
Rurouni Kenshin
Saikano
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Trigun
Vagabond

"Anime" would be Miyazaki's works, GITS:SAC and movies, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Read or Die, Macross, Grave of the Fireflies, various Gundams (namely 08th MS and 0083), Vampire Hunter D, Paranoia Agent...and other things I'm forgetting.

relmneiko

Scaffold of Rotting Wood
Hoo, lots of stuff. I watch more than is healthy. Rather than mentioning the obvious popular shows...

Anime
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade - serious political drama/romance. Will keep you guessing and totally stab you in the heart.
Armitage III - Great cyborg chick anime. I love cyborg chick shows.
Iria: Zeiram the Animation - Another sci-fi show with an awesome heroine.
Argentosoma - My pet giant robot show. Revenge and mental instability is fun, as y'all know.
Blackjack - Osamu Tezuka strikes again in this drama about an unlicensed doctor. Kickass.
Revolutionary Girl Utena - dude, it's awesome, but you pretty much need two X chromosomes to enjoy it. Excessive symbolism and subtext, anyone?
Paradise Kiss - Another XX chromosome show. Wonderful romance and coming-of-age story. Pwetty pwetty clothing, too.

Manga
Wild Adapter - crime, drug trafficking, and Kazuya Minekura's very sexy men.
Nana - Best drama ever. Realistic, heartbreaking, wonderfully fleshed out character interactions. Ai Yazawa FTW!
Battle Angel Alita - I told you I love cyborg chicks.
Banana Fish - crime drama - great action, great intrigue, great characters. Classic.
Snow Drop - Better than Hana Yori Dango, IMHO. Same kinda cheesy thing, but I like it. :p
Boys Next Door - I know Angel Sanctuary is her longest and most popular work but... I love this comic. I used to think it was the most disturbing thing I'd ever read until I read Berserk. -.-;

My, I seem to have covered a lot of chick anime and manga. Well, there are female Berserk fans out there.

I keep meaning to check out Vagabond - I hear it's pretty damn good, too.

Top Bottom