Half Life: The Orange Box

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well I mean at the end of HL1 they said they took over (conqured) Xen but IDK why that would assume the Vortigaunts would be on or side, well Im at the part were me and Alyx are trying to free Eli. And nothing has been said yet, if nothing is said Ill just wiki it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Omega Tom Hanks said:
Well I mean at the end of HL1 they said they took over (conqured) Xen but IDK why that would assume the Vortigaunts would be on or side, well Im at the part were me and Alyx are trying to free Eli. And nothing has been said yet, if nothing is said Ill just wiki it.

enemy of my enemy is my friend, perhaps?
Its been a long time since I played Half life 1, but like the G-man a whole lot is left unexplained. Actually if you hang around long enough during the later parts of HL2 some of the people you're around will say things like "I don't trust the Vortigaunts". Then again they also say, "To think, all I ever wanted to do was sell insurance". :guts:

I've played through HL2 and Episode 1 again and beat portal. I _really_ like the dialogue in Portal. Very funny stuff. Anyone want some cake?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well I said to myself earlier today that I'd start Episode 2 and then get back to work.

That was about 7 hours ago. Episode 2 is really quite excellent. I couldn't put the controller down from beginning to end.

It really is something that they seem to have balanced the difficulty so well that you still feel like a badass when the obstacles feel insurmountable.
I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a great single player experience. Seriously, go play it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
How about a boring Saturday night that I'm not even supposed to be here but I am?
180px-Dante.gif

I'm not even supposed to BE HEEEERE!

I bought Orange Box Friday night, but so far I haven't had a chance to play it. With my shitty PC locking up every 30 minutes or so, it took all night to download it, and I have to work this weekend. But I'm really looking forward to wasting my upcoming nights off playing HL2: Eps 1-2 and TF2.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
WOW, just beat Half Life 2. What a amazing game IMO it deserved all 40 Game of the Year awards it recieved. It sucks though I whish I played and beat it the day it came out but oh well at least now I can play through the first and second parts of Half Life 3. Anybody who loves Half Life should diffently pick this game up. Oh does anybody know if you can buy or if its even available, the soundtrack for Half Life 2?

And by the way, next friday I believe for those who have Orange Box for 360, you can play the programmers and developers of TF2 on XBL

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/calendar/gamewithfame/2007/1019-valve.htm

CnC

Ad Oculos
The brit Uriel linked to in the Halo thread has put out a review of the orange box. He's pretty much still spot on, if you ask me (although I probably enjoyed episode 2 a lot more than he did).
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2541-Zero-Punctuation-The-Orange-Box

I haven't been all over TF2 like I was expecting to, but Portal continues to suck me in. I believe I've played a 2-4 hour game so many times.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished Episode 1 last night and liked it, even though it was pretty short. I played TF2 for a few hours and liked what I saw but my computer fucking blows. I can't play it for long without 10 people appearing onscreen and chugging my poor computer to my demise. Time to upgrade...

I'll crank up Episode 2 tonight.

CnC said:
The brit Uriel linked to in the Halo thread has put out a review of the orange box. He's pretty much still spot on, if you ask me (although I probably enjoyed episode 2 a lot more than he did).
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2541-Zero-Punctuation-The-Orange-Box

I haven't been all over TF2 like I was expecting to, but Portal continues to suck me in. I believe I've played a 2-4 hour game so many times.
I'm seriously contemplating getting Orange Box tomorrow. I was waiting on Christmas, but eh, things like this review and how you guys talk about it are killing me. I keep hearing portal's sweet, episode 2 is nice and being that my comp (I'm guessing somewhat like Walter's?) could barely muscle HL2 at a little over half-settings, I wouldn't feel at a loss getting to finally play it to completion+episode 1.

I do hear mixed things about TF2. I've played very little of the original just enough to remember the basics. I hear the classes in TF2 are unique, but is there anything else worth mentioning about it?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Phoenix Wrong! said:
I do hear mixed things about TF2. I've played very little of the original just enough to remember the basics. I hear the classes in TF2 are unique, but is there anything else worth mentioning about it?

Well, it's a very refined and balanced multiplayer class-based shooter. I think it's style is it's biggest asset. Considering its a class based shooter one of the major gripes was not knowing what class your enemy is. Having them easily recognizable from a good distance really helps the bring the team together on forming tactics, etc. On the console space it's competing with Halo 3's matchmaking system, which makes starting/joining games and creating parties much easier. TF2's system is more PC centric, i.e find a server and join it. So once you get over the apparent lack of dedicated servers and perhaps not enough maps you get a very good gaming experience.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I beat Portal in about 1.5 hours. It was a fun ride, but I don't really see why I should play it again. I wish it had more levels, honestly.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
I beat Portal in about 1.5 hours. It was a fun ride, but I don't really see why I should play it again. I wish it had more levels, honestly.

The advanced levels and time/step/portal trials add some replay value (I enjoy them, at least). And yea, I want some new levels as well.

And now you can mod HL2 to include the portal gun :)
http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/17/half-life-2-portal/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hehe, that's cool that you can use it in HL2. I think the physics part of the game, or the freefalling type stuff was the most "wow" moment for me in Portal. Wonder if they'll use the gun in HL3? :carcus:

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well information released from Valve is that most of Episode 3 is gonna take place in a Aperature Science Labratory. So we might see the Portal Gun in Episode 3.........I hope.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Omega Tom Hanks said:
Well information released from Valve is that most of Episode 3 is gonna take place in a Aperature Science Labratory. So we might see the Portal Gun in Episode 3.........I hope.

you're treadin' close to spoiler sheit there, man.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Omega Tom Hanks said:
Well I mean thats the basic setting, it doesnt reveal anything really about Episode 3
And the basic location is revealed to you towards the end of episode 2, and portal. So, yea, it could be a spoiler albeit a minor one.

Wow, thanks for spoiling the ending of Ep 2 for us while trying to prevent everyone from being spoiled! - Walter

I couldn't take it anymore this morning and shelled out for orange box. Being that my main priority is now to commit and finish to a non-ultra-laggy HL2 playthrough (reason I stopped on -my- PC), I really did get "five" games for one, since I never completed HL2 and obviously haven't played any of the episodic content/portal/tf2. My live trial runs out today, so I won't be doing any TF2 until I'm sure my connection isn't complete and utter shit to shell out $50+ for it.

Anyways, I won't be able to post more thoughts about anything but I loved all 6 chapters I could play of HL2 on my pc till I realized it just wasn't worth it when Orange Box was announced (yes, started late). If I ever get live up and running and think my upload ratio (SATELLITE GAMING, ITS SUPERIOR TO EVERYTHING....except everything) is good enough to suffice, hopefully we'll get to meet up and kill each other some day.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Any of you 360 owners get some of the gold medals in time for portal? I find it next to impossible one a gamepad to aim accurately or fast enough to move through the levels in any sort of reasonable time.

drat... oh well.

CnC said:
Any of you 360 owners get some of the gold medals in time for portal? I find it next to impossible one a gamepad to aim accurately or fast enough to move through the levels in any sort of reasonable time.

drat... oh well.
I'll let you know when I start it up, but my skills in FPS's are anything but "pwnage", even with a pc, I doubt I could get gold anyways, but I'll try.

Psymont 2.0 said:
Portal was very funny, especially towards the end... prey did a good job of portal type action
I was just going to wait and start portal after I beat HL2-ep1-ep2, but I felt that would be a crime so I started it today. I'm loving it a great bit, and the humor's got me with a very tongue-in-cheek grin on my face. Had a serious mind fuck when starting it up, namely with the whole "momentum" and gravity aspects just making my head spin for awhile. I'll probably beat it tomorrow, but man its a blast.

Top Bottom