Heroes (spoilers within)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Can't say I'm super stoked when a new episode comes on but it is a decent show with some cool moments. I'm enjoying the evil/good relationship (in powers) between Cylar/Peter. Thats sure to be interesting in the upcoming episodes.

"Heroes" (the quotation marks are part of the title, for reasons of irony)[1] is an album by David Bowie, released in 1977. The second installment of Bowie's 'Berlin Trilogy' with Brian Eno (the other releases being Low and Lodger) "Heroes" is similar in sound to Low but more robust and visceral. Of the three albums, it was the most befitting of the appellation "Berlin", being the only one wholly recorded there. The mood of the record reflected the zeitgeist of the Cold War, symbolised by the divided city.

The title track remains one of Bowie's best known, a classic story of two lovers who meet at the Berlin Wall. The album is considered one of his best by critics, notably for the contributions of guitarist Robert Fripp (who flew in from the U.S. to record his parts in one day).[2] John Lennon was quoted as saying that when making Double Fantasy in 1980, his ambition was to "do something as good as Heroes."[2][3]

On "Heroes", Bowie again paid tribute to his Krautrock influences: the title is a nod to the track "Hero" on the album NEU! '75 by the German band Neu!,[4] while "V-2 Schneider" is inspired by and named for Kraftwerk's Florian Schneider;[5] earlier in 1977, Kraftwerk had name-checked Bowie on the title track of Trans-Europe Express. The cover photo was inspired by Erich Heckel's Roquairol, as was that of The Idiot, one of Bowie's collaborations with Iggy Pop that was released the same year.[6]

Though "Heroes" included a number of dark and atmospheric instrumentals such as "Sense of Doubt" and "Neuköln", as well as the sprawling confessional "Blackout", after the melancholy and inward-looking Low it was regarded as a highly passionate and positive artistic statement.[5][7] This was evident not only through "Heroes" the song but in the rocking opener "Beauty and the Beast" (released as the second single in January 1978), the raucous "Joe the Lion" and the light-hearted closer "The Secret Life of Arabia". The lyrics for "Joe the Lion", written and recorded at the microphone "in less than an hour" according to co-producer Tony Visconti, typified the improvisational nature of the recording.[8]

"Heroes" was marketed by RCA with the catch phrase, "There’s Old Wave. There’s New Wave. And there's David Bowie..."[5] It enjoyed a positive critical reception on release in late 1977,[2] Melody Maker and NME both naming it 'Album of the Year'.[3][9] It made #3 in the UK and stayed in the charts for 26 weeks, but was less successful in the U.S. where it peaked at #35.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Could you tell me what copy-pasting a Wikipedia article about an unrelated music album (though similarly named) is achieving?

Honestly, it reminded me of the SomethingAwful message boards years ago, when people were dicussing Hunter S. Thompson and Gonzo journalism, and I copied a chapter from a Muppets book where Gonzo finds a small duck and nurses him back to health. I have a weird sense of humor, I guess.

CnC

Ad Oculos
chaoscontrol said:
I thought the style of the last ep was kinda different then the previous ones.

Well I really liked the last one. It was kind of nice not be bouncing around 10 different story lines the entire episode. Plus I loved the ending.

[hide] How deep do you think the Haitian went? All memory of Claire or just that which would give away location?[/hide]

i liked the last episode alot too. it reminded me of when LOST starts a new season and they only touch upon one of the cliffhangers from the previous season finale. for example, nothing on the status of Peter and Isac's girlfriend in this ep (forgot her name.)

CnC said:
[hide] How deep do you think the Haitian went? All memory of Claire or just that which would give away location?[/hide]

[hide]my guess is all memories of Claire. i don't know why but i got that impression.[/hide]

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I liked the last episode a lot too. It really had everything, and it was great. Not to mention ERIC ROBERTS!! :troll: I think if all the series was at that level of quality it'd be unrivalled.

A.C said:
Peter and Isac's girlfriend in this ep (forgot her name.)

She's called "Simone," a pretty old fashioned name.

CnC said:

I don't know, but it's certainly keeping me on the edge. It could very well be possible that he took everything, or huge chunks that'd kinda spoil the whole thing for him. But the great sentimentalist in me wants Bennet to remember all but her "escape." This episode really anchored him as a good guy in spite of the appearances.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I think its likely we'll jump back to Peter and Isaac now. The Hiro and Ando storyline has become kind of stale. The last escapade they were a part of was garbage.

Aazealh said:
[hide]I don't know, but it's certainly keeping me on the edge. It could very well be possible that he took everything, or huge chunks that'd kinda spoil the whole thing for him. But the great sentimentalist in me wants Bennet to remember all but her "escape." This episode really anchored him as a good guy in spite of the appearances.[/hide]

[hide]If its just any memory that would lead to Claire then whats to stop Bennet from hunting her down? But if it was _all_ memory then what about the family? Wouldn't they remember her? Anyways, its a great moment regardless. I nearly fell over my chair when he said "go deep".[/hide]

Also, dunno if this was posted earlier:
All of the episodes of Heroes are posted for free right HERE
Check it out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
[hide]If its just any memory that would lead to Claire then whats to stop Bennet from hunting her down? But if it was _all_ memory then what about the family? Wouldn't they remember her?[/hide]

With the Haitian on the run, the "company" would have no way to erase the family's memory. Also, if everything was removed from Bennet's mind, they could send him after Claire and tell him to kill her or whatever and he wouldn't know any better. Except of course for his wife and son that'd still remember her. So all in all that seems unlikely. Or they'd need to die, which was actually sort of hinted at by Eric Roberts in a flashback when he told Bennet to thank the Haitian, then a kid, for saving his wife's life.

To come back on Peter, I kinda like that he's becoming strong enough to oppose Sylar. His ability is ridiculously overpowering him, I wonder what limit he'll stumble onto next.

Peter/Sylar theory:

i think the final stage of the evolution is when everyone has all of these abilities. right now people seem to develop only a few abilities here and there, and alot of them are "broken" as Sylar put it. for example, Charlie and Shanti's abilities were fatal to them while others are developing the evolutionary abilities in a healthier way and are becoming "uber" humans. i think that Sylar and Peter are the first two people on this path to become what everyone's meant to be.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A.C said:
[hide]i think the final stage of the evolution is when everyone has all of these abilities. right now people seem to develop only a few abilities here and there, and alot of them are "broken" as Sylar put it. for example, Charlie and Shanti's abilities were fatal to them while others are developing the evolutionary abilities in a healthier way and are becoming "uber" humans. i think that Sylar and Peter are the first two people on this path to become what everyone's meant to be.
[/hide]

[hide]Well actually I don't really think so. For one thing, Charlie's power didn't kill her. Rather, because she had a tumor to begin with, she developed that ability. As for Sylar, he can't be compared to Peter. They both have different powers. Sylar can know how things work. Even the "powers." And then he kills people and does something with their brain to acquire their abilities. Peter is able to mimic them naturally, just by being near them. That's a pretty big difference in the way they function. I also don't think everybody's meant to be like that. Peter's ability is just the most useless one taken alone, yet the most powerful one in terms of potential. And Sylar is using his own ability in a perverted, murderous way.

He calls people broken because he's a madman, it doesn't mean their abilities are incomplete. They all have their specialty, which relates to their personality. Nobody's having more than one ability except Peter whose ability is precisely to leech those of others, and Sylar who has to kill and mess with people's brains to steal them. Anyway, since Sylar isn't going to kill the main characters, I think in the end Peter will prevail. That is, if he doesn't become half-mad before himself after what happened to Simone.[/hide]

CnC

Ad Oculos
I don't really know if we're in spoiler territory here buuuut:
Well there can be little doubt that the ability for Peter and Sylar to have multiple powers will eventually culminate in the two facing off.

SPECULATION: I bet the "scar" Hiro was referring to when he visited Peter on the train was from an attempt to remove Peter's brain by Sylar. Huh? Huh?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
[hide]I don't really know if we're in spoiler territory here buuuut:
Well there can be little doubt that the ability for Peter and Sylar to have multiple powers will eventually culminate in the two facing off.

SPECULATION: I bet the "scar" Hiro was referring to when he visited Peter on the train was from an attempt to remove Peter's brain by Sylar. Huh? Huh?[/hide]

[hide]Yeah, it'd be cool if Sylar gave him the scar, one way or another. About them facing off, I'm not sure whether this is spoilerish or not but on NBC's site they actually have a preview of a face-off. I personally haven't watched it because I like to keep it all a surprise. =)[/hide]

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
[hide]Yeah, it'd be cool if Sylar gave him the scar, one way or another. About them facing off, I'm not sure whether this is spoilerish or not but on NBC's site they actually have a preview of a face-off. I personally haven't watched it because I like to keep it all a surprise. =)[/hide]

I saw the preview. Its not who you think it is.

Aazealh said:
Well actually I don't really think so. For one thing, Charlie's power didn't kill her. Rather, because she had a tumor to begin with, she developed that ability.[/hide]
[hide]i'm not so sure about that. if the tumor is what made her develop the ability then it shouldn't be counted as an evolutionary ability, unless the tumor was part of it. either way her ability was "broken" and Sylar could fix it so that he could use it without the tumor (i assume). why else would he go after her (why would she be on the list?)

even if Peter and Sylar could only use one ability at first, they soon learned more. sure you can dismiss it as being part of their abilities, but then i think you are missing the point of the "evolutionary theory". Peter can now use abilities even when people who originally had them are not near him. that means his brain has adjusted itself. however, because he can explode means that his abilities were developed in an unhealthy, or broken, way. it wasn't until he met the invisible man that he started going in the right path.

Sylar's ability to "fix" things allows him to fix his own brain to adjust to the way the evolution is going. we don't know exactly how he does this but i wouldn't be surprised if he does it in a similair way to Peter. sure, he has to look at the other persons brain in order to see how it works, but i'm pretty sure he doesn't start putting a screwdriver to his own brain afterwards. he probably just "learns" it like Peter has done recently.

also, while only these two have developed multiple powers doesn't mean more can't. since they can have these powers in the first place means that the human brain (not just Peter and Sylar's) could potentially utilize this potential, and that it's not only based on the personality.

after all, the story is just beginning.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Since it's almost time for the next episode I propose we drop the spoiler tags.

A.C said:
i'm not so sure about that. if the tumor is what made her develop the ability then it shouldn't be counted as an evolutionary ability, unless the tumor was part of it. either way her ability was "broken" and Sylar could fix it so that he could use it without the tumor (i assume). why else would he go after her (why would she be on the list?)

The tumor went together with the ability. It wasn't a result of it. It's like some accidental evolution caused by a degeneration if you want. Also, I think you're really mistaken about Sylar. He thinks all those that have an ability are "broken," because they're not normal humans. He's a serial killer and a madman, and he kills people to steal their abilities, he doesn't care about anything else. He "fixed" Charlie just like he fixed all the others, by killing them and stealing their abilities. This doesn't mean anything, and it certainly doesn't relate to Charlie's tumor at all.

A.C said:
even if Peter and Sylar could only use one ability at first, they soon learned more. sure you can dismiss it as being part of their abilities, but then i think you are missing the point of the "evolutionary theory".

I'm not dismissing anything at all. Peter's ability is to absorb other abilities. Have we been watching the same show? That IS his ability. It's not part of any super evolution that goes beyond that of the others. He's just more powerful as far as potential goes. And Sylar, again, he kills people and messes with their brain to assimilate new powers. That's not evolution as it's meant in that "evolutionary theory."

The evolutionary theory means that eventually every human will develop powers. Not that those who have powers will develop all of them at once.

A.C said:
Peter can now use abilities even when people who originally had them are not near him. that means his brain has adjusted itself. however, because he can explode means that his abilities were developed in an unhealthy, or broken, way. it wasn't until he met the invisible man that he started going in the right path.

What this means is that Peter has learned to control his ability, use it better. Like all other "heroes" are doing. His is just more complicated and difficult to tame. Which is what has been said and shown in the show so far. There's no "broken" thing here, I think you're definitely confused about that. And Peter would explode if he came in contact with Ted Sprague, who can generate nuclear radiations. Ted's ability is VERY unstable, and so it'd be twice more difficult for Peter to control it if he just absorbed it like that. It has nothing to do with developing his ability unhealthily. I don't even see what's that supposed to mean. Either he controls it or not.

A.C said:
Sylar's ability to "fix" things allows him to fix his own brain to adjust to the way the evolution is going.

Uhh, I don't know where you're pulling that from. Sylar's ability is to see how things work in general. Fixing them is only the logical next step. And who says he's been fixing people's brains to adjust their evolution? What are you talking about? He's been killing people and stealing their powers. Not making their powers better, or controling these powers better, just stealing them for himself, plain and simple. He's not doing anything to evolution besides killing people that are evolving.

A.C said:
we don't know exactly how he does this but i wouldn't be surprised if he does it in a similair way to Peter. sure, he has to look at the other persons brain in order to see how it works, but i'm pretty sure he doesn't start putting a screwdriver to his own brain afterwards. he probably just "learns" it like Peter has done recently.

I don't think so, no. Him and Peter have different "base" abilities, which functions differently too.

A.C said:
also, while only these two have developed multiple powers doesn't mean more can't. since they can have these powers in the first place means that the human brain (not just Peter and Sylar's) could potentially utilize this potential, and that it's not only based on the personality.

Yeah well, let's see if everybody starts getting each other's abilities.

Anyhow, I'd like to hear other people's opinion on this to prevent the thread from turning into a quotefest if possible.

I'm not a big quote fan anyways :p

I wonder "how" Syler actually gets the powers. Surely that is his power but I still wonder how.
I think Peter will eventually be the hero and Syler the ultimate bad-guy and those 2 will face off at the end of the series.

I think Peter has the better ability, at least he doesnt have to cus heads of just to get powers. ...What if syler gets peters power.. wouldnt he be ultimate or something then?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
chaoscontrol said:
I wonder "how" Syler actually gets the powers. Surely that is his power but I still wonder how.

That's clearly one of the big mysteries for now. Sylar's power allows him to know how things work and to find what prevents them from working properly when it's the case. That's natural for a watch maker, and that's how he could instantly know the professor's watch wasn't working properly. It's a very strange power and he's using it in quite a perverted way to achieve his own ambition of being a great man, unlike what his family was. It's all very symbolic really. His name was Gabriel Gray. Gray as in monotonous. He wanted to be unique, and when the professor was disappointed with him it was the last straw I think.

Personally I think he either eats the brains or study them to then modify his own accordingly through some unknown means, but that's all wild speculation.

chaoscontrol said:
I think Peter will eventually be the hero and Syler the ultimate bad-guy and those 2 will face off at the end of the series.

Yeah, same here. They're obviously headed that way for now.

chaoscontrol said:
I think Peter has the better ability, at least he doesnt have to cus heads of just to get powers. ...What if syler gets peters power.. wouldnt he be ultimate or something then?

Well, in terms of absorbing other people's powers, Peter wins hands down. That's because his ability itself is all about leeching others'. But Sylar's native ability could also be helpful for other stuff if he wasn't so busy murdering people in his mad quest for power or redemption or whatever. He has the ability to understand the inner functioning of random stuff just by looking at them, that's incredible.

This is also how he can perceive the genetic differences in the mutated people. If Sylar got Peter's power he wouldn't even need to kill people anymore... At least I think? It's hard to know, maybe there's a limit to how many powers he can absorb. And what if Peter absorbed Sylar's original power as well as all the others? He's the one that has the most potential. He can be a living God without even having to kill those whose powers he copies.

Yeah. (I want peters powers :( off course other should excist or it'd be worthless)

I do think Sylers power can do more then just learn to copy other powers. I think his power of fixing things will have a major key-plot in the series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
chaoscontrol said:
I do think Sylers power can do more then just learn to copy other powers. I think his power of fixing things will have a major key-plot in the series.

It certainly would be interesting to see him do more with it, yeah. The possibilities are really vast, he can basically tinker everything from guns to electronics, or even do surgery. Coupled with Charlie's power that makes him one hell of a smartass. An evil MacGyver of sorts. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well yeah, it sure wouldn't be a good time for aliens to invade earth with their super advanced technology. :troll:

Anyway, I think the one whose power is most scary is Ted Sprague so far. I mean from what they say, most of those that have been near him should be dying from radiations already, though I'm sure they won't do it. Nothing can stop that guy, not concrete, not steel, he can literally throw fireballs... And as a last resort he can always go boom and wipe a place the size of New York.

Yeah, that guy creaps me out.
(And it is ridiculous that people haven't died from radiation yet, except his wife but most characters who where in the house in the last ep should show some signs of radiation-sickness.)

I think Peter can't control his power and is why everything goes BOOM because of him (in the future that is).

Top Bottom