Heroes (spoilers within)

CnC

Ad Oculos
A.C said:
oh, and i don't really like the Chameleon Girl's morphing FX.

I like it. Its like she's bending the light around her. I can dig that over actually changing form.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I like it. Its like she's bending the light around her. I can dig that over actually changing form.

Yeah, it's somehow more realistic. I can't say I like her character though, she seems to be a total bitch.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Yeah, it's somehow more realistic. I can't say I like her character though, she seems to be a total bitch.

Oh she's a complete bore right now (her dialogue annoys me). At least she's pleasant to look at.

the chameleon i can handle cause at least she has a purpose, its niki that is driving me nuts... what a useless character... everytime they sidetrack to her story i let out a sigh of frustration coupled with an exaggerated double arm throw up in the air... her story could be completely removed from the series and nothing would be missed...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Psymont 2.0 said:
the chameleon i can handle cause at least she has a purpose, its niki that is driving me nuts... what a useless character...

You watchin' the same show as me? She's been a central character for a while now. Plus that bit where the psychiatrist gets rips a new one was freaky! I like her

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with Niki is that they spent too much time focusing on her when they didn't have any budget left. It was an easy way out for them but I think the character was overexposed at the time. Nowadays since we don't see too much of her I'm fine with it. Her being a "hitwoman" (thus interacting with other characters) and not fooling her husband is cool. Now I hope they'll bring some resolution to the double personality thing sooner than later.

Aazealh said:
Sylar's power allows him to know how things work and to find what prevents them from working properly when it's the case. That's natural for a watch maker

Aaz, NOT watches, but "time pieces". :carcus: J/K

Anyways, I didn't even realize there was a Heroes thread on this board. I must say, I'm another huge fan of the show. I watched all the eps as they came out, and just recently I downloaded them all to show my cousin and my roomates.

My mouth was open almost the entire episode last week. I didn't know that we had to wait til late April to see the next episode. When I found out, I almost cried. Yes, NBC most definitely hates us.

Few questions, though. They are a bit outdated, but maybe someone can help me out here. Hopefully, I don't sound really lame and ask a dumb question =P.

1. Why does Jessica hold so much against DL? She labels him a criminal and that he's unsafe for Micah, but we find out midway through the show that Jessica was the one who finished "the job" with Linderman and stole the money, and DL backed out halfway and decided to not get his family involved. So besides being in a "crew" (which to me really means nothing), what has DL done to deserve such scorn from Jessica?

2. When Peter and Sylar fall off the ledge at Union Wells High School, Peter ends up with his waist and neck turned around, but Sylar ends up being able to walk away (even though he was hurt). How did Sylar so easily survive the fall? Should we just assume that one of his other powers was able to alleviate his fall a bit?

3. When Sylar was held captive to Bennet in the "paper factory", why didn't he break out sooner? Granted, when the Haitian is around, his powers are null. But the Hatian wasn't around all the time. So, why did he all of a sudden try to use them when Eden came in with the gun? Moreover, why didn't he just escape after Eden shot herself? Was he just trying to stay there as long as possible to find out more information about "heroes"?

4. And lastly, this one is just sort of for speculation purposes, but do you think there is any chance Simone will be back, since Peter saw her in his vision as the exploding-man?

Judo

Midlands finest
1. Imo that's a little plothole... by now Jessica don't seem to have any problem with DLs influence on Micah at all. Furthermore she's a professional Killer now, so I don't think she'd blame DL for his criminal past any more.

2. That's up to speculation, since we have no full picture of Sylars abilities yet... he could have alleviated the fall with his telekinesis... furthermore he seems to have some kind of ability that makes his body more or less insusceptible to physical attacks, given by the amount of gunshots that he has taken through the whole season.

3. Don't know either... maybe he just took some time to figure out how to bypass the mechanism that stopped him from using his abilities... with a little deus-ex-machina. *g*
It was the same with Mohinders IV in episode 18.
And btw.: I don't think that the Haitian can block other peoples abilities in general... it just seems to work with abilities that somehow affect the mind like Matts mind-reading or Edens persuation. He wasn't able to stop Nathan from flying away or block Peters abilities when they found him on the roof of the Deveaux-building.

4. Do you want oppinions or spoilers on that? :carcus:

Here is a link to 50 preview-pics for episode 19... they contain HEAVY SPOILERS, so be aware...

http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/photos/general/15024.shtml

Judo said:
I don't think that the Haitian can block other peoples abilities in general... it just seems to work with abilities that somehow affect the mind like Matts mind-reading or Edens persuation. He wasn't able to stop Nathan from flying away or block Peters abilities when they found him on the roof of the Deveaux-building.

Ahhh true, that's a good point. I didn't think about that. Thanks!

And man, I'm so tempted to click on that link you gave, but I can't stand spoilers. I don't even watch the "next week's preview" because of potential spoilers. Hehe.

Thanks for your input, Judo!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I just started watching the series last week and I've caught up by watching them online at nbc.com. I'll take a stab at these questions, but I'm still a newb so...

DirectDK said:
So besides being in a "crew" (which to me really means nothing), what has DL done to deserve such scorn from Jessica?
I'd say Jessica feels jealous of the influence DL has over Niki. Remember, Jessica is always trying to make Niki more alone. When DL is around, the FAAAMILLLLYYY is stitching itself back together, which is probably a big no-no to her.

Of course, it could just be something DL did in the past that we don't know about yet, but I'm banking on the above.

2. When Peter and Sylar fall off the ledge at Union Wells High School, Peter ends up with his waist and neck turned around, but Sylar ends up being able to walk away (even though he was hurt). How did Sylar so easily survive the fall? Should we just assume that one of his other powers was able to alleviate his fall a bit?
Looks like Sylar at least partially fell on top of Peter, to me. Anyway, he wasn't totally unwounded after the fall. There's also the possibility of telekinesis, but when you break it down, it's Sylar man! Did you really expect him to break an arm or something? :carcus:

3. When Sylar was held captive to Bennet in the "paper factory", why didn't he break out sooner? Granted, when the Haitian is around, his powers are null. But the Hatian wasn't around all the time. So, why did he all of a sudden try to use them when Eden came in with the gun? Moreover, why didn't he just escape after Eden shot herself? Was he just trying to stay there as long as possible to find out more information about "heroes"?
Based on the timing of his escape, I'd say he wanted to know who it was that captured him, and hewas waiting until he could completely turn the tables on them. It payed off too, he got info on Claire's whereabouts and a powerful new ability too.

Anyway, on a side note... when Sylar fools the doctor guy into thinking he's dead, he does so after the cockroach had been crawling around in his cell. Did he learn some new ... feign sleep ability? :???: Otherwise, I can't pinpoint the significance of the cockroach being in multiple shots. Am I missing something obvious here?

Also, it seems to me the writers are going in the direction of: natural abilities GOOD, The Company-fueled insertion of powers BAD, based on how the various "heroes" turned out towards the end of the season. (Parkman and Sprague are intolerably whiny losers... Hey, that's a catchy title for a spin-off show for these two!).

Thanks Walter! Actually, after reading your post, it helped me realize that the reason why Sylar all of a sudden broke the glass when Eden was there and blew his cover, was because he found out about her "amazing power" and wanted it for himself. So yeah, he must have just kept himself contained there in hopes to learn more and find new victims. What a sneaky bastard! :chomp:

Judo

Midlands finest
Walter said:
It payed off too, he got info on Claire's whereabouts and a powerful new ability too.

What new ability? Eden shot herself in the head before he could take hers.

Also, it seems to me the writers are going in the direction of: natural abilities GOOD, The Company-fueled insertion of powers BAD

I don't think the company has given anyone their powers... they just seem to track down people with abilities and mark them or even make them work for their thing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Better late than never...

DirectDK said:
1. Why does Jessica hold so much against DL? She labels him a criminal and that he's unsafe for Micah, but we find out midway through the show that Jessica was the one who finished "the job" with Linderman and stole the money, and DL backed out halfway and decided to not get his family involved. So besides being in a "crew" (which to me really means nothing), what has DL done to deserve such scorn from Jessica?

I don't think Jessica cares much about DL. He's just the only one of two people that has authority over her son, the other being herself/Niki. Keep in mind she's manipulative. She's mostly tried to convince Niki not to trust DL, that was the whole point of sending him to jail. Just her and the kid is the way she seems to be wanting it. Considering Niki's past I guess she doesn't like men much in general, especially not when they get close to her (like a husband). I imagine that her ultimate goal is to have complete control over Niki so she can do whatever she wants. And DL is an advantage for Niki and a disadvantage for Jessica.

DirectDK said:

Like Judo and Walter said, not only did he more or less fall on Peter, but his telekinesis might have helped with that too. Nothing incredible there.

DirectDK said:
3. When Sylar was held captive to Bennet in the "paper factory", why didn't he break out sooner? Granted, when the Haitian is around, his powers are null.

It's like the guys said. The Haitian can't nullify people's powers in general, just specific ones like Matt's. As to why he didn't escape before, well it may have taken him some time to bypass all the meds they fed him, and to recover from their experiments. Then he waited for a proper time to do it (he seems used to doing stuff like that). It's indeed probably Eden's power as well as her intent to kill him that tempted him to break out. He wasn't going to let her off him anyway.

DirectDK said:
Moreover, why didn't he just escape after Eden shot herself? Was he just trying to stay there as long as possible to find out more information about "heroes"?

Read the online comics (on NBC's website), it's in there. Bennet and the Haitian came in right after because of the gunshot and took him down before he could flee.

DirectDK said:
4. And lastly, this one is just sort of for speculation purposes, but do you think there is any chance Simone will be back, since Peter saw her in his vision as the exploding-man?

At this point in time I'd say no, save for Peter using his time-bending power (taken from Hiro) to go back in time and save her. Which is very possible given the fact Judo mentioned spoilers in a way that implied she'd be back (I'm fully speculating here, I'm a spoiler-hater myself). Or there could be a magic healer guy but that'd be really cheesy.

Walter said:
The Company-fueled insertion of powers BAD, based on how the various "heroes" turned out towards the end of the season. (Parkman and Sprague are intolerably whiny losers... Hey, that's a catchy title for a spin-off show for these two!).

Well, like Judo said, these weren't put into them by "The Company." It just implants some stuff in their bodies to track them down. Kind of like what scientists do with animals in the wild. Actually that's even exactly like that.

Walter said:
Anyway, on a side note... when Sylar fools the doctor guy into thinking he's dead, he does so after the cockroach had been crawling around in his cell. Did he learn some new ... feign sleep ability? :???: Otherwise, I can't pinpoint the significance of the cockroach being in multiple shots. Am I missing something obvious here?

It's a scary, dirty, cold secret jail? :void: I don't think it has any meaning except that Sylar isn't moving at all, so the cockroach isn't afraid to live his life around the cell.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Well, like Judo said, these weren't put into them by "The Company." It just implants some stuff in their bodies to track them down. Kind of like what scientists do with animals in the wild. Actually that's even exactly like that.
Ohh wow, I guess I had a fundamentally wrong understanding of what they do. I figured they had natural abilities, but whatever the mark is somehow augmented/amplified their powers or brought them out more violently. If it's just a tag... well, that's pretty simple and not nearly as elaborate as I'd thought :puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Ohh wow, I guess I had a fundamentally wrong understanding of what they do. I figured they had natural abilities, but whatever the mark is somehow augmented/amplified their powers or brought them out more violently. If it's just a tag... well, that's pretty simple and not nearly as elaborate as I'd thought :puck:

That might be a spoiler to you, not sure up to what you've watched:

[hide]In fact the mark is just the scar of the special gun they use to inject people with that tag thing. It's a double-needle gun that's normally used for animals. They talk about it in more detail in the online comic books. And the stuff they use to tag them apparently goes in the blood stream, it's not just a RFID chip you can remove with a knife. Anyway, it's not that surprising you were confused about it, it's supposed to be ambigious at first. In fact Parkman and Sprague DO believe the company did it to them. That's because they abduct them when their powers start manifesting themselves, or at least when they learn of them. In reality it's more like making them wear a star on their jacket, Nazi-style. In case they become a problem it's easy to catch and dispose of them.[/hide]

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I saw the episode where the chick that can send text messages (the most bullshit fucking power I've ever heard of... can she encode things in a way a WEP router would recognize? Great. Would have been really useful 500 years ago, eh? eh?) informs Sprague of the design for the marking gun. I just didn't know what it really did to them, and it still seems pretty vague to me. But thanks for clearing it up.

I still wonder where the story is headed with The Company. I have a hunch it's run by a really paranoid guy with powers himself :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Yeah, I saw the episode where the chick that can send text messages (the most bullshit fucking power I've ever heard of... can she encode things in a way a WEP router would recognize? Great.

Yeah, actually that's a ridiculous power on many, many levels. Beyond the doubtful usefulness outside of the series' plot, the way it's depicted technically is just silly.

Walter said:
I still wonder where the story is headed with The Company. I have a hunch it's run by a really paranoid guy with powers himself :void:

Actually I wondered if Bennet didn't have a power himself for a while. I'm sure they have some interesting stuff in store about that "Company." :void:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Actually I wondered if Bennet didn't have a power himself for a while. I'm sure they have some interesting stuff in store about that "Company." :void:

I doubt it (actually I think it would kinda be lame if he did - as I think it strengthens the bond between him and Claire if he wasn't one of "them").

Judo

Midlands finest
Aazealh said:
Judo mentioned spoilers in a way that implied she'd be back.

I did not mean to imply anything on the matter... sorry if it seemed so.

here's an interview with HRG-actor Jack Coleman... and it's free of spoilers for those who are up to date with the episodes:

http://thescifiworld.net/interviews/jack_coleman_01.htm

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, people actually refer to him as "Horn Rimmed Glasses"? :troll:

Ok, just saw he was billed as HRG in the series' pilot so... It's a valid name. Just seems a little overly-obscure. Also makes him sound a lot more cool than he is.

Judo

Midlands finest
Yeah, he originally had a first name, but they sweeped it off the script because the HRG-alias contributed to the mystery around the character.
In episode 14 they already made a joke out of it when Mrs. Bennet is about to tell his first name to Sylar but then is distracted by Mr.Muggles right before she spits it out.

"It's funny how you all refer to him as "Mr. bennet". I've always just known him as... OH NO, STOP IT, MR. MUGGLES!"
rolleyes.gif

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I doubt it (actually I think it would kinda be lame if he did - as I think it strengthens the bond between him and Claire if he wasn't one of "them").

Note I used the past tense. When I say "I wondered" I mean when I watched episode 4 or something.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I actually checked the date last week to make sure I wouldn't miss it. Let's hope the end of the season will be better than ever.

Top Bottom